Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,981 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:00 AM

Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie (22471 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 7:19am On May 07, 2013
Congrats Nigeria... Now that a real movie is to be produced real actors and actresses are called upon. Not them booob exposing and heavy make up whorish looking ppl.
Hopefully quality is coming
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 7:22am On May 07, 2013
Na wa oh undecided shocked
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by slyk2(m): 7:31am On May 07, 2013
What a perfect timing!
The writer was born in an apartment formally occupied by Chinua Achebe.
The film is produced when the wrangling about Biafra is raging while Chinua Achebe's burial is at top gear.

3 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by splashbaby(m): 7:35am On May 07, 2013
torgbe: cuz of some 3 or 4 quality nollywood films,then watch the jobs of about a million people collapsing and dont just believe everything u read,those figures are just imaginary from the blogger who wrote this...imagine him writing nollywood is the 3rd best in terms of quality in the world,i hope u laughed urself when u read that...next time think b4 u write and stop displaying the height of ur buffoonery
I didn't solicit kind words from fools like you...
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by arbitrage: 7:37am On May 07, 2013
Nigerian movies still produced on 20th century 700MB (CD) discs as parts 1, 2 or 3 are all far from increased quality when the world movie industry has gone past DVD, HD-DVD to Blu-Ray discs and even 3D Blu-ray discs (some up to triple and quad layer BDXL discs with 100GB and 128GB discs qualities respectively). You dare not compare sleep with death.

They should improve on quality by buying state of the art camera to shoot their movies. Then the movie production should be in better image/picture quality and that will enhance their classing at their annual screening events. Afterall, there are awards for best image/picture qualities they can win too; so many categories of movies rating. That should be after quality content is put into the scripts they are acting because childish play scripts in high definition will still be categorized as scraps. Start with high quality movie scripts to high quality recording to at least high quality viewing format/disc production. Money will definitely be expended to have such. If you need help in producing in high quality format, I can help the owner, even up to 3D BDXL formats.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by RickyRoss1(m): 7:38am On May 07, 2013
Hmm, very interesting...
I wish our movie industry will grow as fast as our music industry both in quality and returns on investment.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Confusion: 7:39am On May 07, 2013
This is the most mature thread I have visited in recent times, I want to commend everyone here, just wish there were more guys(girls) in all other threads
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Goldenheart(m): 7:41am On May 07, 2013
Cori_corde: Who here has seen Hotel Rwanda?

That's how I want this movie- which is also based on true events- to be made: emotionally powerful and accurate.

I m beginning to suspect u re a tutsi*
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by arbitrage: 7:42am On May 07, 2013
Ricky_Ross: Hmm, very interesting...
I wish our movie industry will grow as fast as our music industry both in quality and returns on investment.

Is the music industry growing in quality or rather number of noise makers enlisted growing as they claim to have swagger in order to eat? So it may actually be quantity and not quality that is increasing.

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by RickyRoss1(m): 7:42am On May 07, 2013
[quote author=]A movie funded by Nigerians, written by Nigerians, shot in Nigeria, starring Nigerians, about Nigerian historic events isn't Nollywood because it's big budget? Na wow for local champion mentality. [/quote]

Bros abeg nor mind these clowns.
Oya nau, make them call am Hollywood movie, since nothing good comes out of Nigeria. Ndi Ara

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 7:48am On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

I didn't see a link to HOYAS crew in your post (I saw the 80% budget one). It's been on IMDB for ages and there is zilch Nigerian crew! - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2215077/fullcredits?ref_=tt_ov_st_sm#cast

wao. I didn't know it was there....I've checked it out last year, it wasn't there then i stopped checking.
To the place you wrote, it's a blog....yea, but i think he also culled it from a press release or so...and he added his own jara grin grin

Then, i don't think the crew even matters. The one who gets the copyright gets the movie.
Ije for example was just like this:
Apart from the director, other members of the crew are non-Nigerians (even the scriptwriter and producer are not Nigerians).
Apart from Genevieve and Omotola, the rest of the cast are non-Nigerians (though they played lead roles this time).
And Ije was also funded by Nigerian firm.

But, without contest, Ije is a Nigerian movie. But due to the high contribution of Hollywood in the production, Ije is always refered to anywhere else as A Nigerian American movie.
It will be very stupid on Nigerian part if Nigeria is fenced in this production for whatever reason cos it's obvious the movie was just not shot in Nigeria(for the sake of location only), but also has the input of Nigerian filmmakers.
So we say the movie is Nigerian. But bro, nothing is really structured in this country. If its Nigerian, then its Nollywood.

If you say your shoRts are Nigerian films todAY, then its Nollywood. Obi Emelonye is UK-Based, he did the mirror boy and lfta. I won't be surprised if he didn't acquire any copyright shii to call the movie Nigerian or Nollywood. In Nigeria, anything goes...and foreigners often take advantage of that. Its a pity.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Capnd143(m): 7:50am On May 07, 2013
Rhymez: Sitting down and waiting for the pirated copy of the movie..........

your the same reason, why nollywood is not growing faster. Dnt you knw the more you buy pirated copies you are making the producers run at a lost and thus get discouraged? Thank God i dnt buy pirated copies like someone i knw.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 7:52am On May 07, 2013
alala dakosta: speedyboi, villageboi. you just dey quote ur self dey reply urself.u be actor?

No, we no be actors... we're just brothers. As for me I no go dare do pass eerrmmm waka-pass! lol
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by esere826: 7:52am On May 07, 2013
MajeO.fficial:
A movie funded by Nigerians, written by Nigerians, shot in Nigeria, starring Nigerians, about Nigerian historic events isn't Nollywood because it's big budget? Na wow for local champion mentality.

This actually brings us to to a reason and point why we (industry experts) need to properly define things
Having arbitrary/fuzzy definitions throws up challenges
I dont think it has anything to do with being a local champion

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by esere826: 7:54am On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

No, we no be actors... we're just brothers. As for me I no go dare do pass eerrmmm waka-pass! lol

That explains it
U guys write and think alike
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by RickyRoss1(m): 7:57am On May 07, 2013
arbitrage:

Is the music industry growing in quality or rather number of noise makers enlisted growing as they claim to have swagger in order to eat. So it may actually be quantity and not quality that is increasing.

Bro, I don't know what your problem is. I hope you are not part of the people that don't like to hear anything positive about Nigeria?

I remember when I was growing up, our airwaves were dominated by American rap/western music. But go to any club anywhere in Nigeria it is 9ja music they play. Its same thing all over Africa. Enter bars and nite clubs in Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, Gambia, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Zambia et. As i type this now, I am in South East Asia, I cant believe many Asians even know Flavour, PSquare, Davido etc. Many bars in Indonesia, Malaysia, Cambodia, Thailand, Philippines play Nigerian music. If our musicians are not good they cannot be this popular. Whiz Kid brought millions of dollars to their EME label last year, if he is not talented he wouldn't make such money. We were told Psquare was paid over 200k USD to perform in Ghana, Zimbabwe and other countries, if these guys are not good nobody will pay them such money.

You say our musicians are noise makers? What about American rappers of nowadays, people like Lil Wayne, Birdman, Meek Mill, etc? All they talk about is fuckingg bitches, whoress, smoking dope etc?

Bros, I will repeat that our music industry is doing well.

2 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 7:59am On May 07, 2013
MajeOffigial:
A movie funded by Nigerians, written by Nigerians, shot in Nigeria, starring Nigerians, about Nigerian historic events isn't Nollywood because it's big budget? Na wow for local champion mentality.

Ricky_Ross:
Bros abeg nor mind these clowns.
Oya nau, make them call am Hollywood movie, since nothing good comes out of Nigeria. Ndi Ara

You guys are the very same people that will say as long as a movie isn't shot in Africa or India it is a HOLLYWOOD film lol... well done for our 2 confirmed local champions.
Maybe one day una go actually learn say not even every film shot in the USA sef is Hollywood... duh!!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Firstgentleman1(m): 7:59am On May 07, 2013
Cori_corde: Who here has seen Hotel Rwanda?

That's how I want this movie- which is also based on true events- to be made: emotionally powerful and accurate.
May God bless u 4 speaking my mind, i mean bring out d soft emotions in me, not producing noise, lemme sit, watch and stay glued. The book has succeeded in doing that already, i pray the film lives up to expectection.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:00am On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

Let's put a few things into perspective -

What Nigerians spent at the cinema -

The Avengers - $202,368
Dark Knight - $ 50,134
Iron Man - $ 49,724
Iron Man 2 - $ 59,572

So obviously we no dey spend pass 'coffee' budget of any movie (remember these are short time cinema runs of like 2 months max) abi?

How many years did it take the Nollywood film 'Ije' to make N57? She made the film when she was in film school so that's like 2005/06... so what's that? 6-7yrs to make $360K.
So again, we seriously need to look at making films that will grab a part of the 'global' audience.
those films u were tryin to compare were that expensive because:

1. The acts
2. The things to be destroyed for real. Cars, timber framed houses, etc.
3. The special effects.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 8:03am On May 07, 2013
esere826:

This actually brings us to to a reason and point why we (industry experts) need to properly define things
Having arbitrary/fuzzy definitions throws up challenges
I dont think it has anything to do with being a local champion

Exactly! This is what i pointed out in my last post. Nothing is structured! This is not even supposed to be a topic sef if things are defined (structured)
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 8:04am On May 07, 2013
SLIDE waxie: those films u were tryin to compare were that expensive because:

1. The acts
2. The things to be destroyed for real. Cars, timber framed houses, etc.
3. The special effects.

I think you have completely missed the point. We all know they were expensive; we were not asking why they were but was showing the figures of what Nigerians spend at the cinemas which is quite frankly peanuts in comparison to film budgets.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 8:07am On May 07, 2013
esere826: This will be the 1st nigerian film that i will pay to watch at the cinema
(This villageboi and speedyboi was a theathric monologue sha)

Teehee, I'm still going to pay to see it at the cinemas.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 8:07am On May 07, 2013
arbitrage: Nigerian movies still produced on 20th century 700MB (CD) discs as parts 1, 2 or 3 are all far from increased quality when the world movie industry has gone past DVD, HD-DVD to Blu-Ray discs and even 3D Blu-ray discs (some up to triple and quad layer BDXL discs with 100GB and 128GB discs qualities respectively). You dare not compare sleep with death.

They should improve on quality by buying state of the art camera to shoot their movies. Then the movie production should be in better image/picture quality and that will enhance their classing at their annual screening events. Afterall, there are awards for best image/picture qualities they can win too; so many categories of movies rating. All that should be after quality content is put into the scripts they are acting because childish play scripts in high definition will still be categorized as scraps. Start with high quality movie scripts to high quality recording to at least high quality viewing format/disc production. Money will definitely be expended to have such. If you need help in producing in high quality format, I can help the owner, even up to 3D BDXL formats.

This post has ignorance all over it. Most of the shii you mentioned above are no longer the problem
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 8:11am On May 07, 2013
arbitrage:
They should improve on quality by buying state of the art camera to shoot their movies. Then the movie production should be in better image/picture quality and that will enhance their classing at their annual screening events. Afterall, there are awards for best image/picture qualities they can win too; so many categories of movies rating. All that should be after quality content is put into the scripts they are acting because childish play scripts in high definition will still be categorized as scraps.

State-of-the-art cameras ARE used in Nigeria bro... RED EPICS and Alexas full there. But you are very right in saying the CONTENT (writing/stories) needs to improve.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 8:12am On May 07, 2013
speedyboi:
This post has ignorance all over it. Most of the shii you mentioned above are no longer the problem

Hahahahahaha! I don laff I don die!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by modextus(m): 8:15am On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:
Through the Glass - N10 million.
The Figurine - N30 million
Ije - N57 million
Anchor Baby - N17 million

The above are 'Nollywood' films and the type of return the best ones can make. Half Of A Yellow Sun isn't Nollywood nor has it been made with Nigerians as the primary audience.

No 'Nollywood' film, as I've mentioned before a few times, has ever come anywhere near even making $1 million. Half Of A Yellow Sun will put the spotlight on Nigeria and I'm pretty sure at some point real 'Nollywood' films will start breaking the million dollar barrier... That will only be done if they start looking at and catering for a 'global' audience.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Nigerian audience has not spent $1 million on any film be it Hollywood or Nollywood... in fact be it anythingwood we DO NOT spend money at the cinemas... simples!

But then again we know Nigerians are quick to jump on anything as a 'bragging right' as that seems to be the most important thing for us. (HOYAS is just a film shot IN Nigeria and is not 'Nollywood', just like the wonderful 1990 film 'Mr Johnson' - starring Pierce Brosnan and shot in Kano is also not a 'Nollywood' film.)

Real Nollywood needs, for starters, to begin to make seriously good global films for $100K-$200K tops. Since it's obvious large returns will not come from the Nigerian audience; let them tackle the global one... get that right and then with time the budgets will increase exponentially.
For now it makes zero sense for 'Nollywood' to have huge budgets if it takes touting a movie from cinema to cinema for 2-5yrs to recoup the budget... Either that or our filmmakers have been lying about their 'actual' budgets.
never expected such Λ comment from anyone, this should be something we should be proud of.it shouldn't be something we should start digging out facts from.

This are the kinds of movies that should start making nigerians like myself pick intrest in home made movies.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 8:18am On May 07, 2013
modextus: never expected such Λ comment from anyone, this should be something we should be proud of.it shouldn't be something we should start digging out facts from.
This are the kinds of movies that should start making nigerians like myself pick intrest in home made movies.

There have been some pretty good Nollywood films of late... Last Flight To Abuja, Phone Swap, The Meeting. Keep on watching the Nollywood space because they ARE improving bit by bit. Yes it does take time but it will start to happen more often that not.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by guruobinna: 8:19am On May 07, 2013
'Half Of A Yellow Sun' is't d one crested on d Biafrian flag? If yes!
I can't wait to see 'The Wonders Of Ogbunigwe' by Mmuan
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by yemmy19(m): 8:22am On May 07, 2013
Chartered Institute of Managament and Leadership(Delaware,USA) offers a direct membership admission into a graduate,associate,full and fellow membership level...
Call:08033658373,08054696688 or visit www.cimlglobal.com
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Indifferent(m): 8:29am On May 07, 2013
The cost of producing this film is primarily b'cos of these high profile imported characters.
But he might recover it b'cos of the title which was already a succes like things fall apart.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 8:36am On May 07, 2013
speedyboi:
i think he also culled it from a press release or so...and he added his own jara grin grin

Then, i don't think the crew even matters. The one who gets the copyright gets the movie.

But, without contest, Ije is a Nigerian movie. But due to the high contribution of Hollywood in the production, Ije is always refered to anywhere else as A Nigerian American movie.

It will be very stupid on Nigerian part if Nigeria is fenced in this production for whatever reason cos it's obvious the movie was just not shot in Nigeria(for the sake of location only), but also has the input of Nigerian filmmakers.
So we say the movie is Nigerian. But bro, nothing is really structured in this country. If its Nigerian, then its Nollywood.

If you say your shoRts are Nigerian films todAY.

Teehee, that our blogger friend is a funny guy.

The film industry is a fickle one. For me, even if it is shot on the moon it SHOULD be called a NOLLYWOOD film but there is a difference. For example I call evey Indian film Bollywood; Indians will want to 'honour-kill' you if you call the wrong film Bollywood... Duh?? Same as many US indie films not being called Hollywood.

Crew shouldn't really matter afterall all a number of brilliantly Yankee films have cinematographers and DPs with names ending in the letters '...SKI' na Polish or whatever people be that na! (could be because Poland has one of the best films schools in the world in Lodz).

Nollywood is good, Nollywood is great... proud to be Nigerian!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hennessy Reunites Plantashun Boiz On Stage [pictures] / BBNaija: Liquorose Wins Trophy, ₦100,000 In Bet9ja Task / #bbnaija: Housemates Throw Ike Into The Pool To Celebrate His Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.