Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,111 members, 7,814,895 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:28 PM

Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie (22454 Views)

My Experience Of "Half Of A Yellow Sun" At The Cinema / Five Ways Hollywood Movies Are As Bad As Nollywood Movies. / Nigerians Are Cowards (Half Of A Yellow Sun Casting) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 8:41am On May 07, 2013
Indifferent: The cost of producing this film is primarily b'cos of these high profile imported characters.
But he might recover it b'cos of the title which was already a succes like things fall apart.

I think the 'producers' are going about the marketing and exhibition of the film in a manner very different from 'Nollywood' norm, additionally, I believe their primary audience is also not the Nollywood norm. I hope they make it because it will be a big boost to Nollywood filmmaking.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Abbey2sam(m): 8:45am On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

Let's put a few things into perspective -

What Nigerians spent at the cinema -

The Avengers - $202,368
Dark Knight - $ 50,134
Iron Man - $ 49,724
Iron Man 2 - $ 59,572

So obviously we no dey spend pass 'coffee' budget of any movie (remember these are short time cinema runs of like 2 months max) abi?

How many years did it take the Nollywood film 'Ije' to make N57? She made the film when she was in film school so that's like 2005/06... so what's that? 6-7yrs to make $360K.
So again, we seriously need to look at making films that will grab a part of the 'global' audience.

I see your point, but its a gradual process......
And making films that will grab part of global audience, I think that where nollywood is lagging behind and will never make any tangible profit without global audience

Nice one from nollywood though
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by ifyfaith: 8:46am On May 07, 2013
Rhymez: Sitting down and waiting for the pirated copy of the movie..........

this is d thing that do bring them bad market.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by rhymz(m): 8:58am On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

I think you have completely missed the point. We all know they were expensive; we were not asking why they were but was showing the figures of what Nigerians spend at the cinemas which is quite frankly peanuts in comparison to film budgets.
My guy, there is something you are not putting into consideration before making conclusions that Nigerians are not big on spending at cinemas or seeing movies in general.
The fact here is that investment is still coming in the way of "movie going" or going out of the house to see a movie at the cinemas. The greatest impedence here is not lack of interest to see these movies at the cinemas but the availabilty of major cinemas that actually get the viewing rights to latest movies soon as they are released. Apart from Lagos, Abuja and Portharcourt, there is hardly anywhere in Nigeria one can go out to see this movies. Trust me, they will hit the million dollar mark if it was that easy to just get tickets anywhere out side of these big 3 and see these movies either simulteneously or closely after previous showings at majors cinemas in major states.
You don't expect Nigerians in say owerri for instance to start travelling down say to Portharcourt just because they want to see a movie, that will be preposterous. There should be some effort as well by movie investors to spread standard cinemas like those of Silvabirds in other Nigerian towns, it does not always have to be Lagos PH and Abuja, more Nigerians live outside these states that want to see these movie at the cinemas too.

3 Likes

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 8:59am On May 07, 2013
Abbey2sam:

I see your point, but its a gradual process......
And making films that will grab part of global audience, I think that where nollywood is lagging behind and will never make any tangible profit without global audience

Nice one from nollywood though

Yes it is a gradual process and hopefully 'Half of a Yellow Sun' kick-starts a larger global interest in Nollywood in a positive light.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by docjuli(m): 9:07am On May 07, 2013
Well said villageBoi.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 9:13am On May 07, 2013
Cori_corde: Who here has seen Hotel Rwanda?

That's how I want this movie- which is also based on true events- to be made: emotionally powerful and accurate.

amazing movie
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 9:22am On May 07, 2013
rhymz: My guy, there is something you are not putting into consideration before making conclusions that Nigerians are not big on spending at cinemas or seeing movies in general.
The fact here is that investment is still coming in the way of "movie going" or going out of the house to see a movie at the cinemas. The greatest impedence here is not lack of interest to see these movies at the cinemas but the availabilty of major cinemas that actually get the viewing rights to latest movies soon as they are released...

Let me first make a correction. I have NEVER EVER said (@ bolded) that Nigerians are not interested in seeing movies in general.

I am aware that we lack cinema infrastructure in Nigeria. That wasn't the point I was trying to make nor was it my 'conclusion'; the context of my post was 'How do Nigerian films make a return?'. From the figures - no Naija film is making money at our cinemas so how do we justify spending huge budgets? We must make things good enough to tap into the 'global' market.

Take it as an open debate on how to make a profitable return. I do fully understand you and you have mentioned a very important point being lack of cinemas.
It was posted in this thread that 'Ije' had a $2.5m budget yet after slogging for so long it's made N57m about $360,000... filmmaking is not just an art. It's a business too! So the figures do not add up in any way, shape or form.

As a wannabe filmmaker myself I am interested in figures and if I were to make a Nollywood feature TODAY I would not for anything have a budget of more than $150 - $250K... and guaranteed, seriously good stuff that can stand globally can be made for that.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 9:23am On May 07, 2013
docjuli: Well said villageBoi.

Thanks bro... not sure what part I've said well yet wink
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by arbitrage: 9:25am On May 07, 2013
speedyboi:

This post has ignorance all over it. Most of the shii you mentioned above are no longer the problem

Mention one of Nigerian movies production that has met the criteria you called shit. Are they still not all on 700MB CDs, which usually resulted into many parts as if money is the focus and not quality? Thanks to satellite television stations that are now helping to air/view many of the movies, if not pirated copies would not have allowed the producers to make money out of their labours.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by RickyRoss1(m): 9:29am On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

You guys are the very same people that will say as long as a movie isn't shot in Africa or India it is a HOLLYWOOD film lol... well done for our 2 confirmed local champions.
Maybe one day una go actually learn say not even every film shot in the USA sef is Hollywood... duh!!

International champion, abeg nor make me laugh.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 9:30am On May 07, 2013
arbitrage:

Mention one of Nigerian movies production that has met the criteria you called shit. Are they still not all on 700MB CDs, which usually resulted into many parts as if money is the focus and not quality? Thanks to satellite television stations that are now helping to air/view many of the movies, if not pirated copies would not have allowed the producers to make money out of their labours.

Bro the mistake you are making is you are equating 'disc space' to mean a quality film. Or even cameras that film A, B or C was shot on... that's really way, way off the ball.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Nobody: 9:31am On May 07, 2013

That's how I want this movie- which is also based on true events- to be made: emotionally powerful and accurate.

Hotel Rwanda gatts the juice.. Don Cheadle Rusesabagina murked it - and he should have won an oscar for his performance... Anyway, I trust Chiwetel Ejiofor and John Boyega to murk this one as well...

Definitely watching..

1 Like

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Chinom(m): 9:34am On May 07, 2013
Looking forward to the movie. But since i no get the time to go to Silverbird Cinema to watch am, i go buy am for traffic jam along allen ave.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by tomakint: 9:54am On May 07, 2013
This is wonderful!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by SAGirl: 10:11am On May 07, 2013
"Not only is Nollywood ranked third globally in terms of quality of production"

LOLEST... WHAT QUALITY?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by ohaleoghene(f): 10:14am On May 07, 2013
Half of a yellow sun is a nice book ,though she enlongate the novel unnecessarily ...hopefully the movie will convey more emotion and drop tears in people's eyes like hotfel Rwanda
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 10:19am On May 07, 2013
I've just realised say na true say I bush... howcome I've been typing 'Half Of A Yellow Sun' as HOYAS and not HOAYS?... Duh! Coming to think of it; I used to wear a HOYAS face cap lol.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by londoner: 10:21am On May 07, 2013
SAGirl: "Not only is Nollywood ranked third globally in terms of quality of production"

LOLEST... WHAT QUALITY?

Is that all you saw in the article?

I can imaging you looking through the article trying to gather what you can ridicule Nollywood for and bypass any positives there.

Anyhoo...onwards and upwards Nollywood!

I can attest to the new breed of movie makers and storylines in Nollywood of late. There is definately improvement and more to come also.

The major mistake Nollywood made was to do too little too late. they did not heed the criticisms of th efans they have now lost, both in Nigeria and outside.

They should have taken it more seriously in the beginning rather than to take their fan base for granted.

Just the other day, Bollywood celebrated its 100th year.......he lessons learnd and improvements were harnessed along the way, same with Hollywood.

As long as Nollywood authentically tells the African story.......and our perspective in the world, we will continue to grow.

I am so happy they used Tinapa film studios too.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 10:30am On May 07, 2013
londoner:
I am so happy they used Tinapa film studios too.

I find that interesting... may I ask why you said you're happy they used Tinapa film studios?
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by DarryOsh(m): 10:33am On May 07, 2013

this got me thinking. Can hotel rwanda b considered a rwandan movie? I dont think so. So really what makes a movie nigerian or not
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by prof800(m): 10:37am On May 07, 2013
HALF OF A YELLOW SUN...
*sighs*
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 10:39am On May 07, 2013
prof800: HALF OF A YELLOW SUN...
*sighs*

Hey Prof, how now? Na real *sigh* but controversy is a good thing... it normally translates into ticket sales... I know I'm very curious.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 10:46am On May 07, 2013
DarryOsh:
this got me thinking. Can hotel rwanda b considered a rwandan movie? I dont think so. So really what makes a movie nigerian or not

Exactly! But if one tries to explain haters will want to crucify persin lol.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by franciseromosel(m): 10:47am On May 07, 2013
ohaleoghene: Half of a yellow sun is a nice book ,though she enlongate the novel unnecessarily ...hopefully the movie will convey more emotion and drop tears in people's eyes like hotfel Rwanda

'Enlongated the novel unnecessarily',how?I don't agree with you,CA is so good dat she barely waste her details and words,every single scene was instrumental to the over-all novel.I feel HOAYS is about the best novel out of Nigeria and ofcourse CA is a global brand,in the class of DAN BROWN
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by franciseromosel(m): 10:51am On May 07, 2013
sly-k:
What a perfect timing!
The writer was born in an apartment formally occupied by Chinua Achebe.
The film is produced when the wrangling about Biafra is raging while Chinua Achebe's burial is at top gear.

Which apartment? Pls educate me,I need to know
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by prof800(m): 10:54am On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

Hey Prof, how now? Na real *sigh* but controversy is a good thing... it normally translates into ticket sales... I know I'm very curious.
I'm very curious too...
and i really hope it will be a big break for 9ja film industry to d world at large.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by franciseromosel(m): 10:56am On May 07, 2013
sly-k:
What a perfect timing!
The writer was born in an apartment formally occupied by Chinua Achebe.
The film is produced when the wrangling about Biafra is raging while Chinua Achebe's burial is at top gear.

Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 10:59am On May 07, 2013
franciseromosel:

I think it's misinformation. She wasn't born there she was born in Enugu, her family did, at some point, live in one of the apartments in Nsukka where Achebe had lived previously as per all na University of Nigeria, Nsukka (UNN) lecturers.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by londoner: 11:29am On May 07, 2013
VillageBoi:

I find that interesting... may I ask why you said you're happy they used Tinapa film studios?

Well....because it was made for such a film as this.

It is said to host some of the best equipment for post production that Nigeria has. The studio should not be a project that does no reach its potential or just another waste of money.

IF the film ends up as one of international standards, including post production etc.....maybe people will not feel the need to go outside of Nigeria for certain things, including music vids.

I'm sick o the back teeth of seeing Naija artists jet off to SA.....just to come back with a video set inside or in a dark parking lot..........we need to back our own, where we can. That way, we can grow and learn, rather than just discounting what we have, from the get go.
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by VillageBoi(m): 11:52am On May 07, 2013
londoner:

Well....because it was made for such a film as this.

It is said to host some of the best equipment for post production that Nigeria has. The studio should not be a project that does no reach its potential or just another waste of money.

IF the film ends up as one of international standards, including post production etc.....maybe people will not feel the need to go outside of Nigeria for certain things, including music vids.

I'm sick o the back teeth of seeing Naija artists jet off to SA.....just to come back with a video set inside or in a dark parking lot..........we need to back our own, where we can. That way, we can grow and learn, rather than just discounting what we have, from the get go.

I've not been there yet but I think it is a superb idea to have purpose-built studios. The massive problem I see with Tinapa Studios is an idea executed badly without much thought - it's in the wrong place and Nollywood films cannot afford it.

As said before I've not been to the facilities but imagine what can be made in there... Such a needed thing; it's so sad that the LOCATION is just so, so, so wrong... at this stage!
Re: Half Of A Yellow Sun Confirmed As Nollywood’s Most Expensive Movie by Emmyk(m): 12:09pm On May 07, 2013
Chiwetel Ejiofor n that woman in lady detective movie....cant wait!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nini Evicted From The Big Brother House / Hennessy Reunites Plantashun Boiz On Stage [pictures] / Heroes: TV Series

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.