Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,004 members, 7,956,720 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 05:28 PM

Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe (8328 Views)

Tribute To Officers And Soldiers That Fought Against Bokoharam But Died In The P / A Kenyan's Tribute To Chinua Achebe / Awolowo Was Driven By An Overriding Ambition For Power-chinua Achebe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by onyewec3: 7:36pm On May 07, 2013
Ola Johnson:
I know your problem, it's your name - Jamboree. You play a lot. Get serious and pity your parents. They spend money to see that you're educated. In literature, a prolific writer is one that writes in all three genres.

thats y pple like u will neva grow frm ur commatose position that u are now.take correction Mr,u goofed like a stupid pig.nobody supported ur claim meaning u are just a bigot

1 Like

Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 07, 2013
EVERY TRUE NIGERIAN, NAY BIAFRAN MUST READ THAT BOOK " THERE WAS A COUNTRY" AFTER READING THAT BOOK, YOUR EYES WILL BE OPEN TO REALITIES ON GROUND.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 07, 2013
Come to think of it, I can't think of any famous Nigerian author that I can term prolific.

Neither have I ever seen a Nigerian novel with 1000+ pages.

The largest Nigerian novels I have seen to date are Half of a Yellow Sun and The Famished Road and that isn't saying much.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 07, 2013
van bonattel:

You are a monkey! Go back to school!

The word prolific, according to dictionary.com means abundantly; producing in large quantities with great frequency. Prolific writers are just that. Authors that write or have written in great quantities. Some examples of prolific writers are Mary Faulkner (904 books). Lauren Paine (850+ books). And Prentiss Ingram (600+ books) For more prolific writers visit .
http://www.trivia-library.com/c/20-most-prolific-authors-and-writers-in-literary-history.htm
Yes, you've defined what being prolific is, but you didn't define it as it relate to literature, okon.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by amaboss(m): 7:46pm On May 07, 2013
I remember a long time ago when I was reading Chike and the River, I was really touched by the by book, and my love for the writer Chinua Achebe knew no bounds. His legacy is what I cling on to.

3 Likes

Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:49pm On May 07, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Yes, you've defined what being prolific is, but you didn't define it as it relate to literature, okon.

Your definition of prolific will not fly in literature either.

If I publish a one-scene play, 1 flash fiction short story, and 1 haiku poem, does that make me prolific?

2 Likes

Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:57pm On May 07, 2013
onyewec3:

thats y pple like u will neva grow frm ur commatose position that u are now.take correction Mr,u goofed like a stupid pig.nobody supported ur claim meaning u are just a bigot
I don't need cheap support but self-convinction. Onyewe?
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 07, 2013
nnenna.1:

Your definition of prolific will not fly in literature either.

If I publish a one-scene play, 1 flash fiction short story, and 1 haiku poem, does that make me prolific?
I don't understand you. Present your position in a comprehesive manner, please.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:06pm On May 07, 2013
Ola Johnson:
I don't understand you. Present your position in a comprehesive manner, please.

Oh.

No wonder then.

6 Likes

Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:08pm On May 07, 2013
onyewec3:

No mind dat boko haram spokesman...d skimpy scumbag called ola.johnson
What a pity, you don't understand her but you support her. What a bandwagon of ignorance, unu ndo.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:10pm On May 07, 2013
nnenna.1:

Oh.

No wonder then.
No wonder? You can't articulate your facts. I believe you're one of the ESUT four.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:31pm On May 07, 2013
Ola Johnson:
No wonder? You can't articulate your facts. I believe you're one of the ESUT four.

I'm sorry but responding further only makes you look more ignorant.

Drop it, and I will let your mistake slide.

1 Like

Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 9:53pm On May 07, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Apparently, you have got your "literature" twisted. No one would describe prolific as churning our different genre of literature works. A writer is said to be prolific when he writes incessantly; simply many novels. It matters not whether this is in one genre of literature or another.
For what you have in mind, I believe a "versatile" writer would be more appropriate.

2 Likes

Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Dede1(m): 10:00pm On May 07, 2013
Ola Johnson:
He wasn't. A prolific writer is one that writes in the three genres of literature - drama, prose and poetry - like Wole Soyinka.

Wole Soyinka is not a writer or author. He is a playwright or dramatist.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by ozoemeka(m): 10:59pm On May 07, 2013
1forall: If you don't appreciate what you have, strangers will do so for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsAzcgKVI5g

Professor Chinua Achebe, a great mind. RIP In the Haven of Intellects!

1 Like

Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by ozoemeka(m): 11:02pm On May 07, 2013
Ola Johnson:
He wasn't. A prolific writer is one that writes in the three genres of literature - drama, prose and poetry - like Wole Soyinka.

Psst. Wole Soyinka ACKNOWLEDGES the power that is, Achebe, keep your tribalistic sentiments to yourself

1 Like

Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by coolzeal(m): 1:48am On May 08, 2013
Chinua Achebe is a well profound writer, he's my role model and i will always remember his work. He's indeed a great Iroko.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 3:43am On May 08, 2013
Wonderful. Thanks for sharing, OP.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by birdman(m): 6:36am On May 08, 2013
FBI/CIA:
As in Brown University? one of the ivy league schools?
Am impressed!

Even better, he had enough pull to have his own colloquium. That is definitely history.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Dospix(m): 11:30am On May 08, 2013
I love this man...Pa Achebe has been my inspiration. Reading Achebe's work has changed my notion about the world. One thing i would do for sure when am back to school is to ensure that we pay tribute to him. Some people might not understand how i feel about this man;am spiritually connected to him, his wok and dream for Nigeria. When i get their Pa, i will never forget the legacies and standard you have set for us, and will never forget some of the things i learnt from you...one of which is, never write because you want to tell an interesting story, but rather write to impact positively. I love you Prof. Albert, Chinua-alumogu Achebe.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by christokuty: 11:57am On May 08, 2013
a great man indeed,u left a legacy behind
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:10pm On May 08, 2013
I think Prof. Achebe lectured at the prestigious Brown University!

@ola johnson, why did you have 2 bring prof. Wole into this?

1 Like

Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:16pm On May 08, 2013
^^^I think I'll have to agree with the last sentence of your post, Ibadan guy... grin

The guy just made himself look stupid... undecided
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by jasperkin(m): 12:26pm On May 08, 2013
i am a man without spoon in my mouth,but by GOD grace i will shock the world one day...that is for sure
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:21am On May 09, 2013
sauer:
Apparently, you have got your "literature" twisted. No one would describe prolific as churning our different genre of literature works. A writer is said to be prolific when he writes incessantly; simply many novels. It matters not whether this is in one genre of literature or another.
For what you have in mind, I believe a "versatile" writer would be more appropriate.
You can take it anywhere, Chinua Achebe is not a prolific writer but a novelist who wrote, apart from There Was A Country, fictions. He is at best a novelist.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:25am On May 09, 2013
Dede1:

Wole Soyinka is not a writer or author. He is a playwright or dramatist.
Hear yourself, "Wole Soyinka is not a writer or author. He is a playwright or dramatist,"
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:49am On May 09, 2013
django1: I think Prof. Achebe lectured at the prestigious Brown University!

@ola johnson, why did you have 2 bring prof. Wole into this?
I had to bring him in because he was the only readily available example of who a prolific writer is.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 8:55am On May 09, 2013
ozo_emeka:

Psst. Wole Soyinka ACKNOWLEDGES the power that is, Achebe, keep your tribalistic sentiments to yourself
Another fallacy of hasty conclusion. How many of you know that after Wole Soyinka finished reading Achebe, he described his not changing style as "unrelieved competent" and Achebe described him as "unrelieved incompetent."?
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Dede1(m): 12:11pm On May 09, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Hear yourself, "Wole Soyinka is not a writer or author. He is a playwright or dramatist,"

I am not surprised by your silly postulation since you are one of those ill-educated trolls that usually label a person who can read and write as an illiterate.
Re: Brown University's Tribute To Chinua Achebe by Nobody: 12:46pm On May 09, 2013
Dede1:

I am not surprised by your silly postulation since you are one of those ill-educated trolls that usually label a person who can read and write as an illiterate.
Reason before you make any post. Being able to read and write does not necessary make one educated. What makes you educated is your disposition at any given time. Would you then say that all the people that make posts and comments here are educated. Sometimes it is advisable not to speak: Silence at the appropriate time is more eloquent than words.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Man Trekking For World Peace Donates Items To Refugees In Yola [photos] / ‘FG Owes Egbin Power Station N86 Billion’ - CEO Egbin Power Plc / Bekwarra/Obudu/Obanliku Federal Constituency: Martha Agba Picks APC Form

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.