Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,292 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:56 AM

Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver (1276 Views)

How NIPC Boss Was Fired For Embarrassing Jonathan On $20bn Tax Waiver - Thecable / PDP Officials To Ribadu-provide More Evidences To Earn Waiver / Ribadu Shouldn’t Be Granted Waiver – Edwin Clark (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by pcnwamadi(m): 2:48pm On May 08, 2013
NIGERIA and South Africa have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to make it unnecessary for nationals of both countries holding official or diplomatic passports to acquire visa before travelling to either country.

The MoU was signed on Tuesday between President Goodluck Jonathan and his host, President Jacob Zuma, during a closed door bilateral session between the two leaders in the South African president’s office in Cape Town.

Other MoU signed between the two countries were on cooperation in legal field, oil and gas sector, power sector development, environment, defence cooperation, women development and empowerment, as well as child development.

There were also bilateral agreements on geology, mining, mineral processing and metallurgy and fields of information and communication technology.

The two leaders also agreed on the need for stronger cooperation in other sectors, including economic, social and political development on the African continent.

Speaking after the meeting, Zuma observed that Jonathan’s visit to South Africa had generated a lot of interest, excitement and optimism among its citizens in view of the historic relations between the two leading economies in Africa.

“We have a duty to take this historic relationship further. Our two countries have already grown very warm bilateral relations structured through the bi-national commission that was officially inaugurated in 1999,” he said.

The South African president observed with delight that over 100 South African companies were already doing businesses in Nigeria with the biggest investment being in the telecommunication sector.

He spoke of the plan for the country to expand into other areas such as engineering, construction, banking, oil and the media, noting the need for both countries to promote people to people relationship, especially through tourism, which he said had generated huge foreign direct investments for the country.

“Last year alone, South Africa received a total of 73,282 Nigerian tourists, which is an 13.8 per cent increase from 2011, contributing about 720 million Rands to the South African economy within the period,” Zuma revealed.

In his remarks, Jonathan noted that the signing of nine bilateral agreements between the two countries was a major achievement that would enhance the critical role of Nigeria and South Africa in transforming the continent.

Meanwhile, President Jonathan has stressed the need for African leaders to give the fullest possible attention to the economic emancipation of their countries now that they have successfully liberated the continent from colonialism, racism and apartheid.

Addressing the South African Parliament during his state visit, the President advised the leaders make building strong economies and strengthening democratic governance their topmost priority.

According to him, “On the 25th of this month, Africa will be celebrating the golden jubilee of the Organization of African Unity, now the African Union. As we take stock of the achievements of our continental organization, it is also appropriate that we reflect and decide where our continent should be in the next fifty years.

“That destination has to be a democratic and united Africa that is at peace with itself and can compete with the rest of the world,” Jonathan said.

The president noted that Africa has emerged as the new frontier for trade and investment in the world, added that African leaders must rise to the challenge of managing the new opportunities presented by this situation for the benefit of their peoples and countries.

Furthermore, he said: “There is certainly a lot more that we can do. We must work together to put an end to the exploitation and exploration of Africa’s resources for export without any value added; African countries must transform from being primary sources of raw material into producers to create jobs and opportunities for our people.

“We must check the loss of Africa’s trained manpower to already developed countries. We must work together, to promote trade and investment among our countries and build trans-national infrastructure in such critical sectors as trade, telecommunications, and transportation in order to fast-track the process of people-centred, continental integration.

Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by pcnwamadi(m): 2:56pm On May 08, 2013
Oga Jona

Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by Nobody: 3:05pm On May 08, 2013
There is certainly a lot more that we can do. We must work together to put an end to the exploitation and exploration of Africa’s resources for export without any value added; African countries must transform from being primary sources of raw material into producers to create jobs and opportunities for our people.

Thought provoking words. I wish I have the resources to do more for Africa.
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by Nobody: 3:11pm On May 08, 2013
Awon boyz don brace dem selves
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by vizboy(m): 3:40pm On May 08, 2013
Nice one to both side.

I KNOW THESE WOULDNT GET TO FRONT PAGE U Know the reason why
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by tpia5: 3:45pm On May 08, 2013
oh dear, yay. lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by pcnwamadi(m): 3:46pm On May 08, 2013
vizboy: Nice one to both side.

I KNOW THESE WOULDNT GET TO FRONT PAGE U Know the reason why
GEJ haters dont like spreading good news

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by tpia5: 3:47pm On May 08, 2013
is it mostly the white south africans who'll be moving to nigeria, or other races.
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 08, 2013
Ah! Hmmm....lipsrsealed
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by vizboy(m): 3:50pm On May 08, 2013
pcnwamadi:
1.GEJ haters dont like spreading good news
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by tpia5: 3:59pm On May 08, 2013
well, if you reveal what the good news is, surely they'll spread it?
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by Nobody: 4:23pm On May 08, 2013
[quote author=vizboy][/quote]
This is good news for me. I'm in the process of moving to SA. Now I won't need a visa and it's attendant hassles to do that.
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by pcnwamadi(m): 4:24pm On May 08, 2013
smurfy:
This is good news for me. I'm in the process of moving to SA. Now I won't need a visa and it's attendant hassles to do that.
All thanks to Oga at the Top
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by automaticcarzz: 4:27pm On May 08, 2013
Good news indeed! If any of you think you can now travel to South Africa without visa, then you must be living in dream land. The MOU is only for Nigerians with diplomatic passport. Dream on guys!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by Nobody: 5:41pm On May 08, 2013
automaticcarzz: Good news indeed! If any of you think you can now travel to South Africa without visa, then you must be living in dream land. The MOU is only for Nigerians with diplomatic passport. Dream on guys!
please tell them o
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by automaticcarzz: 5:44pm On May 08, 2013
smurfy:

You can only travel to South Africa without visa if you have diplomatic passport. Do you have diplomatic passport? The answer is no. Your regular passport will not be enough for you to gain entry into South Africa. There are so many half educated Nigerians on nairaland. Gosh!!!!
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by tpia5: 5:47pm On May 08, 2013
the write up says official or diplomatic passport.

i think official should mean the regular nigerian passport.
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by automaticcarzz: 5:48pm On May 08, 2013
Billyonaire:

Thought provoking words. I wish I have the resources to do more for Africa.

Foolish man you are for trying to decieve unsuspecting Nigerians to believe they can now travel to South Africa without visa. How many Nigerians have diplomatic passport? The answer is few. If any Nigerian thinks he or she is now free to travel to South Africa without visa, then you are dreaming. Nigerians are still going to need to apply for visas before travelling to South Africa.
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by automaticcarzz: 5:51pm On May 08, 2013
tpia@:

Official passport is not the same as regular passport.
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by Nobody: 9:54pm On May 08, 2013
tpia@:

lol, i cant stop laughing..... We have 3 types of passport... Diplomatic, Service/Official, Regular ... We don't need to start teaching immigration here on NL na
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by solopumpy227: 10:23pm On May 08, 2013
pcnwamadi: NIGERIA and South Africa have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to make it unnecessary for nationals of both countries holding official or diplomatic passports to acquire visa before travelling to either country...

What exactly are we celebrating here? This piece has nothing to do with the Nigerian masses but the regular looters that this Govt always protect.
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by tpia5: 10:48pm On May 08, 2013
automaticcarzz:

Official passport is not the same as regular passport.

oh, ok.
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by tpia5: 10:48pm On May 08, 2013
Horladortune: lol, i cant stop laughing..... We have 3 types of passport... Diplomatic, Service/Official, Regular ... We don't need to start teaching immigration here on NL na

found the info, thanks.

what categories of govt officials use the official passport?

i think i should know all this, surprised i dont.
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by RickyRoss1(m): 12:08am On May 09, 2013
very good development for both countries...
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by Nobody: 5:55am On May 09, 2013
tpia@:

found the info, thanks.

what categories of govt officials use the official passport?

i think i should know all this, surprised i dont.

who works in a government firm is entitle to it.... Just like if they have green registeration plate number on their car, they are government but usually politicians in power uses it!
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by otokx(m): 7:46am On May 09, 2013
It only benefits politicians in power.
Re: Nigeria, South Africa Sign Visa Waiver by Nobody: 8:26am On May 09, 2013
I see our corrupt officials who regard South Africa as a second home have finally found a way round its stringent immigration policies? For all those who had hope the yellow-fever card debacle from last year was somehow going to be resolved in a manner which favours average citizen Chike, Ade and Hassan, this is a timely reminder that the political remains committed, primarily, to its own welfare.

(1) (Reply)

kaduna blast: For A Second Thought / A Message To Seun Osewa / What If Nigerian Youths Started Their Own Party?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.