Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,603 members, 7,812,974 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:44 AM

Striking Down Rule 17 - Nairaland / General (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Striking Down Rule 17 (30012 Views)

How To Get Attractive And Striking Lips / Rule 22 Against Asking For Money On Nairaland / ASUU Strike Latest: Mimiko Commences Recruitment In AAUA To Replace Striking Lec (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Nobody: 2:19pm On May 09, 2013
outrage: [size=13pt]Why not add other religion.
It is obvious others don't care how their religion is spoken about on this forum, since they are thanking you for removing it, instead of modifying it to suit every religion.

Just incase you haven't noticed muslims can't insult or talk bad about christain believes like insulting jesus/moses/adam etc. Usually when they talk bad about the religion, its on a personal level.

But on the other hand chirtains and other religion insult and talk bad about our prophet muhammad (saw) and islam in general. That is very unacceptable.

I know I can't say much to change your mind seun, but muslim MODS this is your responsibility, its on your shoulders to see that the religion of islam is protected on this forum to the best of your knowledge.

You got out cries that it was unfair to the christains for the rule number 17, its unfair to muslims to strik it out. I believe since its a democratic enviroment, we should meet at the middle.

Personaly I don't talk bad or look down on any persons believes, you can go through my comments and confirm. But I know everybody can't be the same, hence that's why we need rules.

Please seun, be fair to islam..[/size]

Well in as much as i sympathize with you, i just don't understand your point. What is the definition of fair in this case? Was rule Number 17 fair in the first place? On a public forum with different people practicing different religions?
I have seen cases where other religions apart from Islam have been insulted on threads in this forum, and none of them have ever threatened to break the sky!
In my own opinion its far better to delete all these Religious sections, so we can have some peace and stop all this Nonsense.
Patronizing one religion is generally very unacceptable in my own opinion. Especially with what we read everyday from the media.
YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY USER ON THIS FORUM. YOU ARE JUST 23 [s](yourself plus the 22 members who liked your post)[/s] out of 1,056,537 Nairalanders on this site!

2 Likes

Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by BlueMurder(m): 2:20pm On May 09, 2013
Vincent 4:

tunder fire u,ur mouth,ur stupid alah and ur imam....hate muslim with de last drop of my life

Rantings of a vile, imbecilic outgrowth. Why not kill yourself and save others the poisonous effusions of your putrefaction?
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Ishilove: 2:24pm On May 09, 2013
chakula: For those who are shouting for the rule 17 to be wiped out their biddings have been achieved, and by the way I will be very glad to know that this will end the e-war between the religious dudes and peace should be embrace in the Nairaland world.
Keep dreaming grin
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by esere826: 2:28pm On May 09, 2013
Seun's use of the term 'striking down' instead of 'striking off'
conveys his pyschological state of mind
You 'strike down' your enemy

Seun was finally gathering momentum on his inner bravery
and when it had reached a climax, he 'struck' down his fears of being assasinated for allowing his forum to be used to insult islam

So he struck down rule #17
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by manny4life(m): 2:28pm On May 09, 2013
I missed the party, what is going on with rule 17?

I've been missing on NL and when I posted a few times yesterday and seeing these rules, I never paid attention to it because I knew NL wasn't worth my time though I posted few post on two threads.
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 09, 2013
IseOluwa777: @Seun..I see you have struck down rule 17. Let me say this...I was going to say it just before you closed the other thread...and this applies not only to Seun but to everyone...the time comes for us all, when we will find ourselves in the position Pontius Pilate once found himself-damned if you do and damned if you don't. Because of greed...greed to remain in the goodbooks of the murderous rulers of Israel at the time, Pilate condemned a man whom he himself knew was an innocent man. He washed his hands with water...but blood was on his hands...History has it that he kept washing his hands till he ended up in a mental asylum.

A true man will walk by principles regardless of the cost. There are things greater than preserving oneself at the expense of ones integrity.

I know the extremist threat is very real. Extremists will do terrible things for the flimsiest of reasons. How then can you ever placate these people without selling your soul?

So in summary, the real truth is that there is no middle ground because a simple innocent statement from one side is blasphemy to the other and vice versa. Someone suggested closing the religion section altogether. That simplistic solution would have been great if not for the fact that our religions define who we are, how we reason and ultimately how we comment on nairaland. We carry our religions in us..even atheism is a religion...though atheists won't agree.
So the bottomline is if taking a fair, right , proper and true stand will cost me my life, then let it be..but few a courageous enough to take this route.

Personally, I do not subscribe to insulting peoples religions..however, if truth be told, when I say "Jesus is the Lord", it is inherently insulting to those who believe otherwise. Can you see the dilenma?

So there really is no middle ground. The only thing that can be done to manage...just to manage the situation is create " Islam for Muslims" section where non muslims must never speak or be banned.."christianity for christians" section where non- christians must never speak or be banned...and a free for all religion section where anything goes. Also, no thread from all three sections should ever make the frontpage where those unfamiliar with the rules of posting in each section can come from.

This is the beginning of trouble..
This is the beginning of serious trouble...
So tell me OP, how would you now verify and ascertain if all members are muslims and all members are christains on these sections?
Ok, what of other religions like the traditional worshippers, the buddhists, the atheists ati be be lo...? I guess a new section should be created for each of these religion, just to massage everybody's ego, Abi shey na only you like better thing?
Nigerians and the spirit of division especially over trivial issues. If it is not tribe, its religion, if its not religion, its tribe.
The only solution is for that Decree 17 to be scrapped (as it has been done already), the scrapping of religious sections on this forum or for Decree 17 to accommodate all other religions.
Simple and short......... undecided
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Nobody: 2:29pm On May 09, 2013
I am glad to see that the voice has prevailed. However, i think the option of deregistration should be made available to NL users. This will enable them vote with their feet (fingers) in case of any obnoxious behaviours from owner or mods, super or otherwise.

1 Like

Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by kasheemawo(m): 2:31pm On May 09, 2013
Vincent 4:

tunder fire u,ur mouth,ur stupid alah and ur imam....hate muslim with de last drop of my life
@ seun,this is the reason why rule 17 has to stay,some ppl like this instigate crises and i believe sane Muslim will never abuse any religion belief.to me i will rather allow u to abuse my parent than to allow u ridicule my prophet.
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Kayode4un: 2:31pm On May 09, 2013
woga seun....!!!! no fear afta carrying out a survey frm page 1 to 9 i found out dat 89% of NLANDERZ obeyed ruel 21 .... the ministry is moving....!!!!
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Kayode4un: 2:33pm On May 09, 2013
kasheemawo: @ seun,this is the reason why rule 17 has to stay,some ppl like this instigate crises and i believe sane Muslim will never abuse any religion belief.to me i will rather allow u to abuse my parent than to allow u ridicule my prophet.
like xae wen the main fight happen the wawa vicente go fit wait ....
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Angyee(f): 2:35pm On May 09, 2013
Seun:

Definition of STRIKE DOWN
3. To render ineffective; cancel: The court struck down the law.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/strike+down wink

Actually in a manner of speaking both are correct..

Definition of Strike off:
strike off
vb (tr)
1. to remove or erase from (a list, record, etc.) by or as if by a stroke of the pen
(http://www.thefreedictionary.com/strike+off)

Definition of STRIKE
7 [with object] cancel, remove, or cross out with or as if with a pen:I will strike his name from the list the Court of Appeal struck out the claim for exemplary damages she was striking words through with a pen
(strike someone off) officially remove someone from membership of a professional group:he was struck off by the Law Society and will never practise as a solicitor again
(strike something down) North American abolish a law or regulation: the law was struck down by the Supreme Court
[http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/strike]

Which is what you did, you removed from a list. If you have no intention of EVER re-introducing this 'rule' in a any shape or form in any of the forums, then you can say you have 'stricken it down.' However, it is my understanding that in some way you are likely to reintroduce this rule at some point in the future, and so, for the purpose of this, the correct thing to say is 'strike off'. I think the best thing to say is you have stricken the rule FROM the list and let peace rule.

As for rule 21, come on people. English is not our mother tongue but it is the 'lingua franca' of the country and so we should use it properly. Don't be like British people whose English is atrocious.

(Shey my English try abi? Sorry I couldn't resist adding this bit! wink grin)

Peace out!
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by alexleo(m): 2:36pm On May 09, 2013
Seun: Fellow Nairaland Members,

Your outrage over the unfair appearance of rule 17 has been noted, and so I have decided to strike it down!

Thank you for correcting me and setting me straight. We certainly need to be fair to every religion.

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.
Better. Thanks.
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by BlueMurder(m): 2:36pm On May 09, 2013
Vincent 4:

Rantings of vile, imbecilic outgrowth. Why not kill yourself and save us from the malodorous effusions of your hateful, putrefying presence?
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by imperiouxx(m): 2:39pm On May 09, 2013
[size=27pt]Abeg leave Seun alone. He striked off rule #17 for you guys but you all are striking him down with your corrections....... English Language professors[/size]

Rule #11...... violated for Seun's good. angry

2 Likes

Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by alexleo(m): 2:40pm On May 09, 2013
kasheemawo: @ seun,this is the reason why rule 17 has to stay,some ppl like this instigate crises and i believe sane Muslim will never abuse any religion belief.to me i will rather allow u to abuse my parent than to allow u ridicule my prophet.

If he wants to abolish abuse let it be all round and not just in islamic section.
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Jccy(f): 2:40pm On May 09, 2013
Ok,watin mk em con comot em? Change it instead now
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Angyee(f): 2:41pm On May 09, 2013
Oh, and I agree with christopherike, there should be a way to cancel my account if I so wish rather than having to post. Or an email address to send a request to cancel account too.

And while I have not had any post deleted, judging by the comments on here, it appears you may have to either re-assess or re-recruit (LOL) your mods as many of them appear to adopt a 'fastest fingers first' and firefighting approach to moderating. (i.e. delete first, ask questions later).
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by surveycash(m): 2:44pm On May 09, 2013
I wasn't expecting a strike out but a modification of 'Islam' to 'Religion'

1 Like

Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Sleekbaby(f): 2:45pm On May 09, 2013
[quote author=I.Joan]

You broke rule 21
You strike things off a list undecided

Hahahahahaha, nairaland u 2 sweet
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by brownlord: 2:47pm On May 09, 2013
Ijogz K: Who's Seun?

He's full name seun gumi, he's the boko haram spoke man of NL, him and the his other members of boko haram on this forum have been agitating for the Islamisation of nairaland, they want to turn the forum to SHARIALAND.

Seun, incase u want to ban me, please notify me so I can submit my other accounts I have with this forum, u never become gov. Or president, you don dey act like dictator, if u r thinking u hv attain the height of success,mor the rubber wen. Dey put money don full, remember notin wey go up wen no go everly come down, people come here to have fun, not like everyone relies on this forum to get first hand information, e.g I have bbc. CNN, algezera on my iPad, and I receive notification of news immediately its updated on the site, most times people hv read abt news before it will make it to the front page on NL, but they just come to interact and diss each other, thats the fun, check the longest page of NL if it's not the pages people diss and criticise each other, 80 percent of people that comment here don't really mean wht they say, its just for the fun of it, if I say anything wrong abt Islam for example, not like I hate the religion or worshipers my flat mate is a Muslim, am even typing from he's room, so note people just come here to have fun not like they don't hv better things to do, watch it when setting rules, remember there Other site begging for members, incase you think you hv monopolies social media.

Mean while I pray Allah protect this my post and account from every wicked MOD, that want to ban or hide my post

2 Likes

Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by tdade(m): 2:48pm On May 09, 2013

Your outrage over the unfair appearance of rule 17 has been noted, and so I have decided to strike it down!

Thank you for correcting me and setting me straight. We certainly need to be fair to every religion.

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.
thank you for listening sir. One thing hit me though, and its the fact that I think Seun was never in support of it. I'm thinking he anticipated the uproar that will follow and hence, wrote it so as to have an excuse for striking it off. Quite intelligent move, if you ask me. I may be wrong though
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by loveroftruth: 2:50pm On May 09, 2013
Rule 17:

17. Don't post anything that could be considered offensive to Islam, especially in the muslim section.

^^^
lol. That rule was funny. grin
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by bobbyruffy(m): 2:53pm On May 09, 2013
bro, no insults intended, just asking... Is ur prophet more important than ur parents?
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by HARDDON: 2:55pm On May 09, 2013
Mr Seun,

why are the rules always popping up any time one wants to create a thread or post a reply?

are there no rules' threads on every section again?

we should be as user-friendly as possible and not string complex at other' expense.

and if you havent noticed, nobody's got the time to go through all that ish b4 they can make their mind known.

I do believe this is a temporal thing and should be removed hereafter.

NB: it is not all time one has access to a system with larger screen. some of us work on smaller-screened mobile devices too

Regards

H. D
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Angyee(f): 3:00pm On May 09, 2013
loveroftruth: Rule 17:
17. Don't post anything that could be considered offensive to Islam, especially in the muslim section.

^^^

Seun, don't 'Strike Down' rule 17. Instead, edit it. It should be re-instated and read something like this:

17. Don't post anything that could be considered offensive to any religion or ethnicity. Nairaland aims to promote tolerance not division.

'Chikena' 'O ton' 'Ogwuchala'.

Also, rather than rules always coming up, Sit down, research other forums and come up with a standard set of rules and put that up. And like another forum I am on does, then advise anyone who joins to please read those rules before posting, that way you don't have to keep going back and forth. And if any one has an issue, you refer them there.

Like Confucius said, 'Life is really simple but we insist on making it complicated.

1 Like

Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by spenx084(m): 3:00pm On May 09, 2013

Best Regards,
Seun Osewa.

Oga boss what were you actually thinking by that rule?
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by HARDDON: 3:01pm On May 09, 2013
loveroftruth: Rule 17:

^^^

da heck? rename the d da.mn forum to ISLAMland then.
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by umarfantami(m): 3:02pm On May 09, 2013
Seun fear ALLAH wherever you are.Mine is that you don't need to remove rule 17 rather,you include other rule number for the christian too .Thanks
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 09, 2013
Seun:
https://www.google.com/search?q=strike+down+law *yawns*
You have already sent one of your moderators to intimidate me with ban. If you want to debate this, open a thread and invite me so I can floor you in one paragraph all over.

1 Like

Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Nobody: 3:08pm On May 09, 2013
Seun:
https://www.google.com/search?q=strike+down+law *yawns*

and pls strike away that mod called Ikenna
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 09, 2013
blink182: You have already sent one of your moderators to intimidate me with ban. If you want to debate this, open a thread and invite me so I can floor you in one paragraph all over.

grin grin grin grin, "damn"
Re: Striking Down Rule 17 by naffysa(f): 3:16pm On May 09, 2013
na wa o

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (Reply)

What‘s That One Thing You Love That You Can Never Outgrow No Matter Your Age? / Hit And Run Driver Kills Man In Benue State (Viewers' Discretion Advised) / 5 Secret Life Lessons To Learn From The Chess Game - Become Successful In Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.