Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:37 AM

The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood (2797 Views)

"The CEO": Kunle Afolayan Wraps Up The Production In Nairobi Kenya (photos) / Mike Ezuruonye Speaks Chinese In Nollywood Movie / Five Ridiculous Questions With Obvious Answers Asked In Nollywood Movies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by ohaleoghene(f): 10:09pm On May 14, 2013
I have asked this question severally 'why is NIgeria rank the third in the world of movies ?'This I used to ask because I know if is quality , Nigeria can't stand films from Mexico , England or Australia, yet Nollywood comes first before these countries . I got the answer today , and I was told that the ranking is base on quantity of films produce annually. Then I say 'oh , as for quantity , truly we should come the third because the number of films that nollywood produce , both the English and yoruba speaking genre put together produce more than we are willing to watch . Then again I asked myself 'Since we 've been expose to the world base on quantity , why didn't our film producers take upon themselves to produce quality movies , both technology and storyline wise ?' Off course have seen good movies like 'ije ', 'last flight to Abuja' , 'Mr and Mrs', and little many more . But we won't use those little to always beat our chest . Is hight time producers began to do more challenging movies , exploring all genres , as Nigerians are tired of watching ritualist movies , or 'runs girls ' kind of movies , as this only speak ills about the country , and probably, who knows, chase investors away , and make outsiders think of all Nigerians as been fetish . One genre I will like to see in Nollywood is science fiction. The world of the make believe is more than what we see everyday , we should employ fantasy , leaving our vievers a lasting impression after watching .The good thing , Nigerians are begining to develop the habit of going to the cinema, our government should help by planting at least two to three cinemas in all cities , with this , the producers can always make returns on the money spent , and this will open doors for investors , and also Nigeria could be a big tourist Center . Art is a beautiful thing , a thing that easily appeal to man . I am a script writer , I have writen some works on science fiction , but nobody seems to want this type of genre, their arguements was Nigerians aren't ready for that type of movies , but we all enjoy sci-fi from Hollywood. With this I ask , when will Nigeria live up to her glory as giant of Africa ?
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 11:02pm On May 14, 2013
ohaleoghene: When will Nigeria live up to her glory as giant of Africa ?

My question is what glory and which giant of where? wink
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by somadino: 2:03pm On May 15, 2013
The good times are still ahead!
We are still far behind as a result of so many factors, a lot has to be put in place but the good thing is that we are doing something. I can't tell you not to write what you enjoy, please do. But if you write so the script could get made and it isn't, shouldn't you rethink it?
The era of mediocrity and wishy washy movies will go. As I said the good times are still ahead.
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by ohaleoghene(f): 7:48pm On May 15, 2013
somadino: The good times are still ahead!
We are still far behind as a result of so many factors, a lot has to be put in place but the good thing is that we are doing something. I can't tell you not to write what you enjoy, please do. But if you write so the script could get made and it isn't, shouldn't you rethink it?
The era of mediocrity and wishy washy movies will go. As I said the good times are still ahead.

Can't that time be now ? Why do this generation keep pushing things to the next generation ? If don't do things now for ourselves, ozr children might never help us either
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by sholay2011(m): 9:25pm On May 15, 2013
Op, I must say you have a point but I don't think our filmmakers are ready for that genre. At least, it's better they 'pass it on to the next generation' (that they peeceive would have the skill/equipment) than make a rubbish movie out of the script. Or are you in haste to sell your script?

By the way, I don't think nollywood has actually explored any genre 'reasonably' (except slapstick comedies and sickening drama-forming genres).

I believe the drama genre really needs to be fully explored to bring nollywood into the 'real' limelight. I mean serious dramas, that may even be based on real life events like the aba women riot, a remake of 'Stubborn grasshopper', boko haram brouhaha, book adaptations etc, not blackberry babes and android boyz kinda films. Lol.

Dramas usually have the higher tendencies of producing memorable characters and establishing a deep connection with the audience, especially when done well; that's why you don't really see a sci-fi movie as an Oscar best picture nominee most times and even in acting categories.

So, OP, maybe we re not yet ready for that kind of genre. But I believe you should be ready (writing-wise) for more DRAMA!!!!!! grin

2 Likes

Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by sholay2011(m): 9:25pm On May 15, 2013
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 10:37pm On May 15, 2013
Somadino & Sholay - You both have said it as it is and that is the truth. We're really not ready to tackle certain types of films... because if we do, as usual, we are more than likely to make something mediocre.

However, I will contradict myself and say I think the generation of filmmakers we have today CAN actually make good sci-fi films... the major problem we have is we can write some OTT stuff. I bet a Nigerian writer today will write a sci-fi full of aliens and spaceships, explosions and stuff that A) We simply can't film or do well... not with the horendous VFX rubbish all our filmmakers tend to settle for and B) It will probably be written with zero consideration for how on earth one is meant to get the budget to do this WELL. Also, I think we still do not spend enough TIME making our films.

If we have writers that CAN actually think outside the regular 'see-wetin-I-fit-do-nah' box, then there is a slight chance that we can make good sci-fi.

There is a film that I think everyone should watch. It's a pretty cool indie sci-fi with a simple yet very effective idea. 'There IS another earth out there'. The main effect in the film is simply showing 'Another Earth' in the sky and the film is actually called 'Another Earth'.
I think 95% of what happens in it is simple drama, yet it is a sci-fi. The story is there is another YOU an exact YOU (probably with a different set of circumstances) on the other earth and when contact is made we only see it as a video link showing on TV so zero effects needed for that. When you watch the movie, think of how easily that could be a Nollywood film. So can we do such? Definitely! Do we 'write' such? Definitely not!

ANOTHER EARTH - TRAILER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB50aBrHbu4
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 11:30pm On May 15, 2013
No probs. Thanks.
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by sholay2011(m): 4:27am On May 16, 2013
VillageBoi:
Somadino & Sholay - You both have said it as it is and that is the truth. We're really not ready to tackle certain types of films... because if we do, as usual, we are more than likely to make something mediocre.

However, I will contradict myself and say I think the generation of filmmakers we have today CAN actually make good sci-fi films... the major problem we have is we can write some OTT stuff. I bet a Nigerian writer today will write a sci-fi full of aliens and spaceships, explosions and stuff that A) We simply can't film or do well... not with the horendous VFX rubbish all our filmmakers tend to settle for and B) It will probably be written with zero consideration for how on earth one is meant to get the budget to do this WELL. Also, I think we still do not spend enough TIME making our films.

If we have writers that CAN actually think outside the regular 'see-wetin-I-fit-do-nah' box, then there is a slight chance that we can make good sci-fi.

There is a film that I think everyone should watch. It's a pretty cool indie sci-fi with a simple yet very effective idea. 'There IS another earth out there'. The main effect in the film is simply showing 'Another Earth' in the sky and the film is actually called 'Another Earth'.
I think 95% of what happens in it is simple drama, yet it is a sci-fi. The story is there is another YOU an exact YOU (probably with a different set of circumstances) on the other earth and when contact is made we only see it as a video link showing on TV so zero effects needed for that. When you watch the movie, think of how easily that could be a Nollywood film. So can we do such? Definitely! Do we 'write' such? Definitely not!

ANOTHER EARTH - TRAILER

Hmmmmmmmm....you have a point there. Maybe we are just not adventurous enough in filmmaking in Nigeria and also, not ready to take risks. Who wants to do a sci-fi movie (like the one you talked about up here) in Nigeria that would tank at box office because many Nigerians don't even seem to understand the whole concept?. It even confuses them the more. This boils down to another thread that asks if Nigerians really know good movies.

Maybe there are actually some genres that are not 'african'. Or maybe we already have a sci-fi genre in Nigeria but it's not like that of Hollywood? Abi what's the difference between 'aliens invading a planet in a Hollywood movie' and 'witches invading a town in Nollywood'? grin Or is there a difference between 'sci-fi heroes having superpowers to vanish to our delight in Hollywood movies' and 'mammy water disappearing and appearing at will in Nollywood movies'? grin

We sef don dey do Sci-fi tey tey. cryjust kidding. cheesy Villageboi, you can launch us in that genre naa. You should work with the OP.
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 6:42am On May 16, 2013
sholay2011:
Hmmmmmmmm....you have a point there. Maybe we are just not adventurous enough in filmmaking in Nigeria and also, not ready to take risks. Who wants to do a sci-fi movie (like the one you talked about up here) in Nigeria that would tank at box office because many Nigerians don't even seem to understand the whole concept?. It even confuses them the more. This boils down to another thread that asks if Nigerians really know good movies.

Maybe there are actually some genres that are not 'african'. Or maybe we already have a sci-fi genre in Nigeria but it's not like that of Hollywood? Abi what's the difference between 'aliens invading a planet in a Hollywood movie' and 'witches invading a town in Nollywood'? grin Or is there a difference between 'sci-fi heroes having superpowers to vanish to our delight in Hollywood movies' and 'mammy water disappearing and appearing at will in Nollywood movies'? grin

We sef don dey do Sci-fi tey tey. cryjust kidding. cheesy Villageboi, you can launch us in that genre naa. You should work with the OP.

What you've said is pretty interesting. Such a sci-fi film would definitely tank in Nigeria as it seems the majority like 'akshon' films... about most other films thy will declare "E no sweet". So you are right about the thread 'Do Nigerians really know good movies?' - https://www.nairaland.com/1148216/nigerians-really-know-good-movies .
That also brings us to the bulk of the conversation in the 'HOAYS is the most expensive movie shot in Nigeria' thread - https://www.nairaland.com/1281804/half-yellow-sun-confirmed-nollywood .The main points in the thread are A) Our budgets are too big to make any money back within a sensible amount of time. B) Nollywood simply has to 'also make films that do not have Nigeria/Nigerians as the primary audience BECAUSE we lack the infrastructure to make good bugdets back. The key example film was IJE with a budget of $2M but has only made about $360K in 6 yrs or so.
We also had to consider that a huge portion of 'our' audience has an attention span less than that of a goldfish - no be joke @ Sholay, how many times have you talked with regular people and they just do not listen to a word you say unless they are also into filmmaking, acting and the indusrty? Even here a whole heap of Naija guys drift away in 5 seconds if you're not talking about some 'deal' or one fine 'booty' or football. That's 'our' general audience

Back to the topic here. One shouldn't even attempt making sci-fi unless 'the rest of the non-African world' is your target audience and unfortunately 99% of our films cannot hit that audience. Again it is down to starting the writing and writing completely 'universal' stories well, additional blame MUST be give to our Producers, we that pretend to Direct & we 'wannabe' directors too and our Actors that are still so thrilled about their 'theatrical' style & 'screaming' on set lol

Having said that, is it possible TODAY for a Nollywood sci-fi to be made that ticks all the boxes? Yes! What is something that we do well? Comedy! I know I mentioned in some thread how funny it would be if Nollywood made a sci-fi that has 'Agbero/ Area boys' beating up aliens, asking them to pull their shoe, you no fit waka-pass this our area nah, and selling the aliens as 'new meat' in the markets - just silly stuff that is 'we' as a people.

Anytime aliens land for this planet no be Yankee they dey go to go chop McDonalds and to drink Coca Cola? The recent time they came to Africa they went to South Africa and that country went mega apartheid on their (distric 9) a$$es! Abi? So each country that makes an Alien' films puts some of their natural behaviour into the films - Yankee aliens films are 'We are violent people, let's show these little green men say na we get guns & bombs pass anibodi'. The Brits - We no get guns, we no even get 'invading-another-country' canoe' again sef so let's just make comedy alien films - 'Paul' or we make council estate films - 'Attack The Block'. (of course we've already mention the South African oppression style - Aliens dey fear Africa now and they dey also fear go Eastern Europe because those people will be trafficking them into a life of ashewoism). Come oh, Bollywood fans - has India made a film with all-singing, all-dancing aliens? lol.

Jokes apart, tackling such a subject would most probably have to be looked at from a completely 'universal' angle. Such angles are what make things like this go viral becaue EVERYONE can relate to the basic 'human' story (what do you think of this?) - https://www.nairaland.com/1287904/brilliant-short-film-cargo-goes

* All the above is just me taking an extreme direction; just to drive home some points. I think we really have a slightly better audience than that now.
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by directorsolomon(m): 10:40am On May 16, 2013
VillageBoi: Moderators can you please, please move this script to a new topic on it's own? It will probably completely derail this thread. Or @ Solomon can you pls edit it and then move it. And then it can be read there. Thanks.

I dont know how to start a new topic so I edited it. hope its cool?
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 10:53am On May 16, 2013
directorsolomon:
I dont know how to start a new topic so I edited it. hope its cool?

Hiya, thanks.

At the top of the page - where it says 'Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies /...' click on TV/Movies and at the top of that page where you see - '(0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (cool (9) (of 158 pages) (Create New Topic) (Follow)' - click on (Create New Topic) - it will open up where you can now put your sample. Do that people can comment on your script sample.

I hope that helps.
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by prof800(m): 6:31am On May 18, 2013
sholay2011:

I believe the drama genre really needs to be fully explored to bring nollywood into the 'real' limelight. I mean serious dramas, that may even be based on real life events like the aba women riot, a remake of 'Stubborn grasshopper', boko haram brouhaha, book adaptations etc, not blackberry babes and android boyz kinda films. Lol.

oga sholay, u got me laffin..which one be 'android boyz' again?
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by prof800(m): 6:50am On May 18, 2013
VillageBoi:

ANOTHER EARTH - TRAILER

ANOTHER EARTH is a brilliant movie. Another one is THE FOURTH KIND(Starring Milla Jovovich) although not really good enough but it shows us that u can actually tell a sci-fi story without much VFX and all those stunts.

Just something simple like these is good to start with and experiment.
So IMO i think Nollywood can actually start with these kind of 'semi' sci-fi before 'graduating' to making stuffs like; 'Ogboni- the great and powerful' (wizard of Oz) or 'Nna the Iron Man 3'.

Sci-fi or 'fantasy' is just about telling an extra ordinary story anyhow..abi na?
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 8:44am On May 18, 2013
prof800:

ANOTHER EARTH is a brilliant movie. Another one is THE FOURTH KIND(Starring Milla Jovovich) although not really good enough but it shows us that u can actually tell a sci-fi story without much VFX and all those stunts.

Just something simple like these is good to start with and experiment.
So IMO i think Nollywood can actually start with these kind of 'semi' sci-fi before 'graduating' to making stuffs like; 'Ogboni- the great and powerful' (wizard of Oz) or 'Nna the Iron Man 3'.

Sci-fi or 'fantasy' is just about telling an extra ordinary story anyhow..abi na?

Oh yeah 'The Fourth Kind', you so right about it with your post especially taking a simple ordinary story and making it 'extra' ordinary.
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by Nobody: 10:57pm On May 18, 2013
First of all, i want to counter Sholay's point of passing whatever to the next generation. It just doesn't make sense. Must we always be decades behind? So next generation should be battling little little sci-fi when the world and technology might have moved on to something else?

On another note, I think Nollywood should perfect their drama first, then let's move on from there.

After that, i don't think Sci-Fi should be the priority in Nollywood: It's not african.......i think adventure is something that Nollywood should tap. I can only imagine how superb an African adventure movie would be with great quality! Instead of these yeye Hollywood adventures always portraying africans as cannibals eating them whenever they get lost in Africa (portrayed as a jungle) angry angry angry

Another genre i want Nollywood to develop is fantasy! They already have the stories, all they need is a 'mature' scriptwriter to create sensible plot and a serious filmmaker for the quality , and ofcourse big budgets to make the effects believable sad (this is where the problem lies, but it also applies to Sci-Fi anyways).
I will so much love to watch repackaged versions of 'KOTO AYE' etc....and all those other scary yoruba fantasy stories (In English this time though). It will be ground breaking! cool cool cool. I would prefer my kids watching those kinda local fantasies (with good quality and sensible plot) than watching harry potter, Lord of the rings, Legend of the seeker, Merlin etc... cheesy.

What do you guys think about my points? smiley

1 Like

Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 11:26pm On May 18, 2013
speedyboi:
What do you guys think about my points? smiley

I think your points are pretty much spot-on. Definitely work on getting our dramas better and also tackling adventure and fantasy. A very interesting keyword you used is 'mature' scriptwriter/s... as near-to-perfect writing is the first key to all this happening!
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by ohaleoghene(f): 11:13am On May 19, 2013
I agree With the contributions so far . I think also , Nollywood should focus more on producing good drama , and adventure. Now , if that is the case , then our producers should begin to challenge themselves into producing quality movies , both technology and story line wise . And the government should see to curbing out piracy as is one of the reasons will have many low budget movies , as nobody wants to invest where he or she won't profit from . If quality drama are produced , then we could pick up other genres.

P S :can anybody direct me to a body. Of writers , where I could also be a member , so that will help me learn from others , and sharpen my skills
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by Nobody: 11:41am On May 19, 2013
ohaleoghene: I agree With the contributions so far . I think also , Nollywood should focus more on producing good drama , and adventure. Now , if that is the case , then our producers should begin to challenge themselves into producing quality movies , both technology and story line wise . And the government should see to curbing out piracy as is one of the reasons will have many low budget movies , as nobody wants to invest where he or she won't profit from . If quality drama are produced , then we could pick up other genres.

New crop of filmmakers have started producing quality films for a while now but script writing is still a problem. Most of the scriptwriters don't have plot-development-'talent' IMO.
Though there's one particular writer I can say she's trying (and improving each time)....;Kemi Adesoye. She did a not-so-well job with figurine but she was very good (I don't wanna say excellent or superb) with phone swap. I hope other scriptwriters improve like she did!
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by thelonelyshadow: 1:06am On May 21, 2013
Speaking of nigerian science fiction movies, i am looking for african science fiction writers to add to my blog. even if we don't have the money to make big sci fi movies, i'm pretty sure that we can at least write science fiction stories. the link to my blog is afrosyfy.
please check it out smiley
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 9:52pm On May 23, 2013
thelonelyshadow: Speaking of nigerian science fiction movies, i am looking for african science fiction writers to add to my blog. even if we don't have the money to make big sci fi movies, i'm pretty sure that we can at least write science fiction stories. the link to my blog is afrosyfy.
please check it out smiley

'Nigeria's 'first' Sci-Fi' - Lol are you surprised people at the cinemas asked for their money back!
Where is bros Sholay to come see VFX nah?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FYkPOOHnNE
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by prof800(m): 11:45pm On May 23, 2013
VillageBoi:

'Nigeria's 'first' Sci-Fi' - Lol are you surprised people at the cinemas asked for their money back!

yea i remember Kajola, one of the first niaja films to be thrown out of cinema.
Sholay have u seen this?
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by Nobody: 11:58pm On May 23, 2013
VillageBoi:

What da flying fvck?!!!!!!!!! The CGI & VFX is so so basic! I should be able to do that sef angry. Well this is quite old! They won't try to make something like this again grin (I mean the responsible filmmakers). I think Kajola had good plan but was hindered by major budget constraints and the filmmakers must have thought Nigerians are 'Bush' grin. 'MAKE WE JUST LEAVE AM LIKE THAT' Thingz cool cool cool.

But seriously, the peeps who saw that trailer and still went to see it must be high! grin
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by Nobody: 12:01am On May 24, 2013
Wait, ADONIS Production? That's the same company handling the production of Izu Ojukwu's '76'. You see what i mean? smiley. They won't wanna pull Kajola stunt on us again cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by prof800(m): 12:09am On May 24, 2013
speedyboi: Wait, ADONIS Production? That's the same company handling the production of Izu Ojukwu's '76'. You see what i mean? smiley. They won't wanna pull Kajola stunt on us again cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Wait, IZU OJUKWU? That's the same guy who did SITANDA am i right? I never knew he has a new film coming up..we'll be watching out.
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 12:32am On May 24, 2013
prof800:

Wait, IZU OJUKWU? That's the same guy who did SITANDA am i right? I never knew he has a new film coming up..we'll be watching out.

You have not seen the trailer for 'Lions Of 76'? Sometimes it's hard to find because the uploader wrote the title as just '76'... here it is and it's one of the best looking things to ever come out of Nigeria... ever! Let's hope the whole writing/story package is just as good as it looks! Can't wait for this!

EDIT: Have removed trailer... It deserves it's own thread!

Lions of 76 thread - https://www.nairaland.com/1300736/lions-76-trailer
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by Nobody: 12:34am On May 24, 2013
prof800:

are you kidding me?

you are not current ooo shocked shocked shocked
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by Nobody: 12:38am On May 24, 2013
VillageBoi:

You have not seen the trailer for 'Lions Of 76'? Sometimes it's hard to find because the uploader wrote the title as just '76'... here it is and it's one of the best looking things to ever come out of Nigeria... ever! Let's hope the whole writing/story package is just as good as it looks! Can't wait for this!

EDIT: Have removed trailer... It deserves it's own thread!

LOL....Simultaneous posting! grin grin grin

mind you, the title of the film is no longer lions of 76, it has been changed to 76 only.
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 12:39am On May 24, 2013
speedyboi:

are you kidding me?

you are not current ooo shocked shocked shocked

Speedy I beg you fit commot trailer and ref to this thread -https://www.nairaland.com/1300736/lions-76-trailer
I think the film is far to good to be joined in this thread. Thanks bro.
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by Nobody: 12:41am On May 24, 2013
VillageBoi:

Speedy I beg you fit commot trailer and ref to this thread -https://www.nairaland.com/1300736/lions-76-trailer
I think the film is far to good to be joined in this thread. Thanks bro.

DONE!

I was hoping i could make a countdown thread....that will feature various clips from the movie's website, but you beat me to it
Re: The Production Of Science Fiction In Nollywood by VillageBoi(m): 12:43am On May 24, 2013
speedyboi:

DONE!
I was hoping i could make a countdown thread....that will feature various clips from the movie's website, but you beat me to it

Thanks man. Boy is that trailer AMAZING or what? There's another 'photo compilation' video that I'll add.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Behind The Scene: Apocalypto. A Movie You Watch Over And Over Again / Catalina Y Sebastion Now Online!: Check For Info / Top 10 Hilarious And Silly Mistakes In Nigerian Movies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.