Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,478 members, 7,819,741 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:05 PM

Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist (10246 Views)

Enugu Massacre: South-East Senators Call For Emergency SE/SS Summit / APC Puts Yahaya Bello’s Nomination On Hold, Calls For Emergency Meeting / Yobe Governor Supports Emergency Rule (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Akanbiedu(m): 11:37am On May 15, 2013
naptu2: I sense that this guy is just opposed to the president and he would have been opposed to whatever action the president took.

grin grin grin

Laugh wan make I slap boko haram
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by forkadict(m): 11:44am On May 15, 2013
naptu2:

1) I do not know of any Kigawa State.

2) Do you have intelligence to show that more boko haram fighters are crossing the border from Katsina than the number crossing the border at Adamawa? Do you have intelligence to show that the threat at Katsina is greater than the threat at Adamawa? How many attacks have there been in Katsina?

3) If he waited in the past, are you saying he should keep waiting forever?
(1) Commo'n man. I meant Jigawa and you know it. That was a forking typo.

(2)Do you also have intelligence to show that more Boko fighters are crossing the border from adamawa than Katsina? Now you are comparing BOKO threats in Katsina with that in Adamawa and I say that their threat is negligible in katsina when compared with Adamawa.

But compare BOKO threats in Kano with that in Adamawa. Which is greater?

3)I am not saying Jona should keep waiting forever. I am saying he should have acted years ago. I am saying that he should have sacked the governors in those states he declared SOE. I am saying that going by frequency and scale of BOKO terror activities (judging by quantum of loss of lives and property) Kano is far ahead on the priority list than Adamawa. I am saying that if he felt compelled to declare SOE in Adamawa then he should have declared SOE in Kano also. that's what I'm saying.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by naptu2: 11:51am On May 15, 2013
fork adict:
(1) Commo'n man. I meant Jigawa and you know it. That was a forking typo.

(2)Do you also have intelligence to show that more Boko fighters are crossing the border from adamawa than Katsina? Now you are comparing BOKO threats in Katsina with that in Adamawa and I say that their threat is negligible in katsina when compared with Adamawa.

But compare BOKO threats in Kano with that in Adamawa. Which is greater?

3)I am not saying Jona should keep waiting forever. I am saying he should have acted years ago. I am saying that he should have sacked the governors in those states he declared SOE. I am saying that going by frequency and scale of BOKO terror activities (judging by quantum of loss of lives and property) Kano is far ahead on the priority list than Adamawa. I am saying that if he felt compelled to declare SOE in Adamawa then he should have declared SOE in Kano also. that's what I'm saying.

I'd like to see your source of intelligence with which you came to the conclusion that there's a greater threat in Kano (where the populace has been antiboko haram from the beginning and have even lynched members of boko haram) than Adamawa. I can't take your word for it, because you said that Adamawa has been peaceful, whereas there have been attacks there this month. I also want to know if you have better intelligence than the SSS and NIA.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by forkadict(m): 11:51am On May 15, 2013
Goddex:

This man, when where you born? No lives were lost in the sharia crisis? The mass killings and spilling of blood in Kano, Kaduna,Niger and Yobe then did not catch your attention? Even our own Victor Moses parents were murdered in cold blood by these blood suckers . . .

So your own Victor Moses' parents that were killed in Kaduna in 2002 died as a result of the SHARIA crises? I have an assignment for you. please go and find out in what crises his parents were killed. when you have your result, please come back
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by forkadict(m): 11:57am On May 15, 2013
naptu2:

I'd like to see your source of intelligence with which you came to the conclusion that there's a greater threat in Kano than Adamawa. I can't take your word for it, because you said that Adamawa has been peaceful, whereas there have been attacks there this month. I also want to know if you have better intelligence than the SSS and NIA.

I already told you my criteria and they are the scale of killings, The number of lives lost so far and the extent of killings. Remember in February or was it March when they almost held Kano city hostage. also remember the car park bombing. Has their been any killings in Admawa of those magnitudes?

Then dont misquote me please. I said adamawa has been 'largely peaceful' i never said it was peaceful. That was why I put it in quote. The quote implies there is a difference between absolute peace as you suggest and relative peace. Or do you need me to explain the implications of using quotes whn writing to you? Please answer cos If you want me to i will.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by naptu2: 12:03pm On May 15, 2013
You are talking about quantum of killings in the past, you are not talking about intelligence and threats in the future. I'd like to see the source of your threat assessment. Most of the attacks in Kano have been carried out by militants who drove in from other states, whereas there are militant camps across the border from Adamawa in the mountains of cameroon. So, I'd like to see the source of your threat assessment.

What's largely peaceful about a place in which attacks have been carried out and people have died?

Rudeness and insults are used by people who have no points with which to argue. I will not follow you down that route.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Nobody: 12:08pm On May 15, 2013
The criminologist is right. The action of the President is Ok but, for me, in the real sense of the word shouldn't be termed "state of emergency" but "curfew". I've not seen anywhere where emergency rule is declared and the governors are not suspended. OBJ declared it and suspended Joshua Dariye and Ayo Fayoshe of Plateau and Ekiti states respectively. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa declared it and suspended S L Akintola of Western Region.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by naptu2: 12:11pm On May 15, 2013
Ola Johnson: The criminologist is right. The action of the President is Ok but, for me, in the real sense of the word shouldn't be termed "state of emergency" but "curfew". I've not seen anywhere where emergency rule is declared and the governors are not suspended. OBJ declared it and suspended Joshua Dariye and Ayo Fayoshe of Plateau and Ekiti states respectively. Abubakar Tafawa Balewa declared it and suspended S L Akintola of Western Region.

Section 308 of the constitution does not give the president the power to suspend the governors (OBJ's action was actually illegal). The 1960 and '63 constitutions gave Balewa the power to suspend Akintola and impose Majekodunmi.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by forkadict(m): 12:15pm On May 15, 2013
naptu2: (1)You are talking about quantum of killings in the past, you are not talking about intelligence and threats in the future. I'd like to see the source of your threat assessment. Most of the attacks in Kano have been carried out by militants who drove in from other states, whereas there are militant camps across the border from Adamawa in the mountains of cameroon. So, I'd like to see the source of your threat assessment.

(2)Rudeness and insults are used by people who have no points with which to argue. I will not follow you down that route.

(1)The past I am talking about is just a few months ago and not years ago mind you. And talking about intelligence and threats in the future, neither of us has access to that so i could be right and I could be wrong. But let's not argue on abstracts. let us argue based on facts available to us both. and its on this premise that I say that Kano is more critical than adamawa.Simple.
(2)What about people who deliberately misquote what others say? Thereby lying against them to their faces?
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 15, 2013
naptu2:

Section 308 of the constitution does not give the president the power to suspend the governors (OBJ's action was actually illegal). The 1960 and '63 constitutions gave Balewa the power to suspend Akintola and impose Majekodunmi.
You're wrong, the constitution doesn't say it doesn't give the President the power to suspend the governors. It is silent about it. OBJ that suspended Dariye and Fayoshe used the same constitution, though not amended then.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Parohfrey(f): 12:41pm On May 15, 2013
fork adict: Jona dey fear ni. That's the reason. Fear.

Kano and sokoto states are perhaps the most relevant of the northern states judging by history.

So our cowardly presido has anticipated the uproar of making such a move, so he just jejely chose Adamawa.

What a cowardly and Confused murraforker

Having a head is not the same as having a brain. Cut off your head maybe your brain will resuscitate.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by naptu2: 12:49pm On May 15, 2013
Ola Johnson:
You're wrong, the constitution doesn't say it doesn't give the President the power to suspend the governors. It is silent about it. OBJ that suspended Dariye and Fayoshe used the same constitution, though not amended then.

I am right. I said the constitution does not give the president the power to remove an elected governor. Now, if you know of any section that gives the president that power, please cite it.

I remember that Gani and other lawyers challenged Obasanjo when he illegally removed the governors. My former political science lecturer was livid! You cannot just remove an elected official without a legal backing for your actions. But Obasanjo committed many illegal acts when he was in power.

The framers of the constitution did not include that provision in the constitution because of what happened in the First Republic, when there was a planned skirmish in the House of Assembly which was used as a pretext to take over an opposition state. Dr Abati was on the 9 o'clock news to stress that the president doesn't have the powers to remove the governors. See the views of eminent legal scholars below.

Jonathan in order - Sagay, Falana

Two Senior Advocates of Nigeria, Itsay Sagay and Femi Falana, said Jonathan acted within constitutional provisions by not hiding under the declaration of a state of emergency to remove the governors of the affected states.

Both SANs, who spoke separately with our correspondents after the the President's address, said the constitution gave no room for the removal of a governor of a state where a state of emergency was declared.

They both came hard on Obasanjo, who according to them, indulged in "blatant illegality" and "constitutional anomaly" by removing sitting governors under the pretext of a state of emergency.

Citing Section 11 (4 and 5) of the constitution, both Sagay and Falana said that even with its endorsement of the declaration by the President , the National Assembly, cannot go ahead to remove the governors of the affected states.

Sagay said, "What Obasanjo used to do was blatantly unconstitutional and illegal. A state of emergency does not affect the sitting governor or the state house of assembly at all.

"If you look at Section 11 (4 and 5) of the Constitution, you will see that a state of emergency does not affect the tenure of the governor or the House of Assembly. The President has kept to the Constitution. If he had declared any other thing, it would have been illegal."

Falana noted that Jonathan had not followed "the dangerous precedent of ex-President Obasanjo, who hid under the state of emergency to remove elected governors."

He said it was still impossible for a governor to be removed even when the National Assembly took over the legislative responsibilities of the House of Assembly of a state.

http://mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/yobe-adamawa-borno-under-emergency-rule/
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by naptu2: 12:55pm On May 15, 2013
fork adict:

(1)The past I am talking about is just a few months ago and not years ago mind you. And talking about intelligence and threats in the future, neither of us has access to that so i could be right and I could be wrong. But let's not argue on abstracts. let us argue based on facts available to us both. and its on this premise that I say that Kano is more critical than adamawa.Simple.
(2)What about people who deliberately misquote what others say? Thereby lying against them to their faces?

1) So you have no basis for saying that the president was wrong because you do not have the intelligence he has. You do not know if he has intelligence about planned attacks in Adamawa, you do not know what has been done to improve the security situation in Kano. On this very thread a Kano resident has stated that Kano is much more peaceful at the moment. Are you more qualified to determine the state of security in Kano than the resident and the president?

2) What lie?

3) You've still not said what's largely peaceful about Adamawa, bearing in mind that there have been attacks there recently in which people died and the fact that there are militant camps in the mountains across the border.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by modextus(m): 1:46pm On May 15, 2013
I'm in kano ..and its totally calm..
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Nobody: 2:04pm On May 15, 2013
naptu2:

I am right. I said the constitution does not give the president the power to remove an elected governor. Now, if you know of any section that gives the president that power, please cite it.

I remember that Gani and other lawyers challenged Obasanjo when he illegally removed the governors. My former political science lecturer was livid! You cannot just remove an elected official without a legal backing for your actions. But Obasanjo committed many illegal acts when he was in power.

The framers of the constitution did not include that provision in the constitution because of what happened in the First Republic, when there was a planned skirmish in the House of Assembly which was used as a pretext to take over an opposition state. Dr Abati was on the 9 o'clock news to stress that the president doesn't have the powers to remove the governors. See the views of eminent legal scholars below.

http://mobile.punchng.com/output.php?link=http://www.punchng.com/news/yobe-adamawa-borno-under-emergency-rule/
You lied on Gani being against the suspension of governors in emergency rule. On the emergency rule in Ekiti State in particular, Gani said the action of the President was right because following the impeachment of Ayo Fayoshe it led to the emergence of the deputy governor and the speaker as governors.

Note this: there is difference between being unconstitutional and not being unconstitutional. Ifeanyi Ararume won the PDP ticket of Imo but because of anti-party activities, the party which the constitution empowers to sponsor candidates said it was not sponsoring Ararume. How do you describe this, (A) constitutional, (B) unconstitutional, (C) not unconstitutional. C is answer because the constitution does not recognize an independent candidate but only those sponsored by parties.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Nobody: 2:07pm On May 15, 2013
modextus: I'm in kano ..and its totally calm..
it's always calm until the next suicide bomber comes to town

1 Like

Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Abrakhan: 2:16pm On May 15, 2013
okoli chibuzor: sorry to post dis.... Our president na woman... And also a fool.... Why didn't he decare emagency rule to kano,sokoto,kadunaa..... Or did de governors of the state didn't pay him age
.......Nassarawa,Delta,Benue and Platue.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Abrakhan: 2:20pm On May 15, 2013
Nothing is happenning presently in Kano compare to NLanders how about Benue,Nassarawa,Plateau.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Abrakhan: 2:25pm On May 15, 2013
Ogbeche77: it's always calm until the next suicide bomber comes to town
Is that what you are hoping for Kano people. But I ll personally pray that the bomber will be in your state where ever you are even of you are outside country. Dis no be matter for joke.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by jamil2(m): 2:28pm On May 15, 2013

Which I suspect that you are one of them according to the statement above.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by ril19(m): 2:36pm On May 15, 2013
visiondee: GEJ has made the right decision, starting with the states at hand, just hope my SOLDIER MEN will restore SANITY

you're a jerk! Are u trying to justify GEJ's exclusion of Kano in that list? What about your brothers in kano, people from the same tribe as u who are still living in kano? Are they good to be left at the mercy of the BH terrorists? Now what if the BH people now capitalises on that flaw and try to move their base to kano, won't they be amassing more n more strenght? It is simply thougthless of ur president not to include kano in the list period!
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 15, 2013
fork adict: Jona dey fear ni. That's the reason. Fear.

Kano and sokoto states are perhaps the most relevant of the northern states judging by history.

So our cowardly presido has anticipated the uproar of making such a move, so he just jejely chose Adamawa.

What a cowardly and Confused murraforker
ur comments look so silly, u ar imprudent fellow, U ar the most confused human out here...
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by AMvanquish: 3:02pm On May 15, 2013

And so we should run to where! Stick with your browsing and ur negative thots. Kano is peaceful , and we pray it remains that way
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by forkadict(m): 3:42pm On May 15, 2013
naptu2:

1) So you have no basis for saying that the president was wrong because you do not have the intelligence he has. You do not know if he has intelligence about planned attacks in Adamawa, you do not know what has been done to improve the security situation in Kano. On this very thread a Kano resident has stated that Kano is much more peaceful at the moment. Are you more qualified to determine the state of security in Kano than the resident and the president?

2) What lie?

3) You've still not said what's largely peaceful about Adamawa, bearing in mind that there have been attacks there recently in which people died and the fact that there are militant camps in the mountains across the border.

(1) If we were to wait until we had access to all the intelligence the president had access to before commenting on national issues, then no one would be right in voicing out his opinion on any national issue at all. for example, the presidential pardon GEJ gave to Alams met with widespread condemnation and If I were to toe your line of reasoning, then because we all didn't have access to the info the president had we would all be wrong in condemning the act. This line of reasoning is wrong because it assumes that since only the president had access to classified info on virtually all issues of natuional interest then whatever he does, whatever descision he makes will be right and no one had the right to voice a counter opinion since no one had access to the classified info that he had. We make comments on issues based on facts available to us all and in this case, the series of violence in kano and the scale on which they are commited are by far in excess of that of adamawa.

(2) The lie that i said adamawa was peaceful when in fact what I said is Adamawa is 'largely peaceful'. There is a difference between the two.

(3) By Adamawa being 'largely peaceful' what I meant was when compared with other troubled nothern states like Kano, Borno and Yobe, Adamawa's case is child's play.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by LandofMH: 3:42pm On May 15, 2013
anonimi:

And what did brave ex-soldier OBJ do when the same north introduced Sharia

Your president GEJ by your estimate is "cowardly & confused murraforker" because you and others who see him as such are even more of such qualifying adjectives.

Can you please tell us what your non-cowardly LGA boss and councillor have done for you lately?
Do you get locked up every last Saturday of the month for ENVIRONMENTAL sanitation that the LGA is already paid to do?

Just a very TINY example of why you are even more "cowardly & confused murraforker".

[size=16pt]BTW, can we hear a political-ogist opinion on Kano being on or off the list. Political scientists and MILITARY STRATEGISTS are more likely to view things from a broader perspective than a criminologist who should be helping the POLICE deal with petty & big crimes. [/size]We are talking here about TERRORISTS who are rapidly getting territorial and need to be dealt with by the ARMED FORCES!

Hey Anonymous, aka anonimi,

Get off your high horse!! You are calling for a political opinion, not "an analysis". Well, that's precisely what the professor has done. You should be satisfied in that. There is no extraneous political angle other than what he has stated in simple terms and which you will find are consistent with popular opinion. Next to Borno and Yobe, Kano ranks in the top three terrorist hotbed. You are pro-Gej.....you should be surprised and alarmed that Jigawa State has not had a single act of terror, beside perhaps when they chase a single individual who resides there for assasination. Your oga should want to know why Jigawa has been peaceful.

I will borrow a line from a thread I posted here months ago in which I stated that the Kanuri is a victim of political competition in the North. The three states so far declared were Kanuriland. Adamawa was historically a tribute of Kanuri prior to its settlement by Fulani who own it today. Yobe and Borno continue to be Kanuriland. Even though they are all muslims in the core North, their Islam follow their ethnic statedom. Therefore the muslims of Yobe and Borno recognize the Mai, not the Sultan, as their religious head. Similarly, the Hausa/Fulani states dont recognize the Mai as their head....they seek authority from Sokoto.

Attacks on Borno and Yobe are viewed by core Northerners as an attack on their religion and politics. When you attack Kano however, the view changes. They look at it as an attack on their religion, culture, politics, spirituality and traditional legacy. The sentiments will lead to a massive recruitment drive and bokoharam will quickly change ownership. This is precisely what happened when Yussuf was murdered and Bauchi was under siege......a new ownership took over bokoharam.

Excluding Kano and Kaduna saves the president a direct confrontation.....for now at least. He cannot avoid it too long.
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by forkadict(m): 3:46pm On May 15, 2013
nacosprof: ur comments look so silly, u ar imprudent fellow, U ar the most confused human out here...

Instead of you to counter my arguments intelligently, you responded with insults. What a dumbbbbb foooool you are!

Argue with points and not with insults. Dummb assssss!
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by forkadict(m): 3:47pm On May 15, 2013
Paroh_frey:

Having a head is not the same as having a brain. Cut off your head maybe your brain will resuscitate.
Instead of you to counter my arguments intelligently, you responded with insults. What a dumbbbbb foooool you are!

Argue with points and not with insults. Dummb assssss!
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Nobody: 3:49pm On May 15, 2013
jamil!:

Which I suspect that you are one of them according to the statement above.
keep living in delusion, another almanjiri having access to a computer
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 15, 2013
Abrakhan.:

Is that what you are hoping for Kano people. But I ll personally pray that the bomber will be in your state where ever you are even of you are outside country. Dis no be matter for joke.
a billy goat obviously urinated on your head when u were a toddler, since u have problem with english comprehension, I rest my case
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by Noblechyk: 3:54pm On May 15, 2013
okoli chibuzor: sorry to post dis.... Our president na woman... And also a fool.... Why didn't he decare emagency rule to kano,sokoto,kadunaa..... Or did de governors of the state didn't pay him age
Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by hardbody: 5:03pm On May 15, 2013

I have been following your posts, does irrationality run in your family?

1 Like

Re: Kano Qualifies For Emergency Rule - Criminologist by aminu150(m): 5:35pm On May 15, 2013
Only those that live in caves will support this professors argument. How on earth will you put kano under state of emergency knowing fully well that Kano is safe, and its the commercial hub of northern nigeria which means its very important to the economy of nigera.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Akwa-Ibom Gov't Signs MoU With SERGE On Ibom Science Park. Photos / Boko Haram Kills Sheihk Baba Goni Muktar Malumti, Kidnaps Hunters In Borno / Nigeria Conflict Stops Farmers’ Bid To Benefit From Us-China Trade War-Bloomberg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.