Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,818 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:51 PM

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (50703 Views)

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by klear(f): 4:37pm On May 15, 2013
I have seen bride list from Anambra where when everything including the bride price was calculated was not more than 80k...including my cousin's wedding. Yeah some Eastern states can be expensive but definitely not all most especially Anambra states

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by babe4chi(f): 4:38pm On May 15, 2013
bishop4life:

where is that and lik how much
Orsu LGA,awo idemili...

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 15, 2013
ItsModella:
yes, the kinsmen no dey help matter for men like us grin grin grin
If I slap you ehn this man. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 4:41pm On May 15, 2013
30DB4FA6: My nairalanders am a proud imo dude here am not married buh I want my wife bride price to b expensive dats where u wud value ur wife if una no get money to marry den stay shingle or u go idimu village near ikotun egbe go carry 1 mbeke Yoruba gurl for fwee cheesy d ones way keep face like WTF cheesy dey are d best becos winch no fit attark u for night b/cos if winch see her face dem go shawt WTF demon no dey attark demon and dey can't cheat on u cheesy I love my imo babes. IBO KWENU grin
Hehehe!. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by coolzeal(m): 4:47pm On May 15, 2013
Enugu state is exclusive and sometimes you begin to wonder why so many Anambra men keep marrying from my state.

3 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by bishop4life(m): 4:48pm On May 15, 2013
babe4chi: Orsu LGA,awo idemili...

yes i sincery know awo girls are not xpensiv. Bt yet u didnt say how much...i stil wan to knw for record urposes,
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Blackgold09(f): 4:55pm On May 15, 2013
timpaker:
Mbaise bride price na die!!!! U pay higher if d bride is graduate and u pay highest if she is a medical doctor or a pharmacist...
I and my friend ran away... Finally, Tiv (benue state is cheaper) lured us over with just 10k. Can u beat that? Na dia I dey target now but work no go gree persin. Mtcheeew!
guy go ur village go marry na
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by bishop4life(m): 4:55pm On May 15, 2013
coolzeal: Enugu state is exclusive and sometimes you begin to wonder why so many Anambra men keep marrying from my state.

am 4rm anambra and if u still wonda y,i wil tel u.
Though enugu girls as mgbeke as they are,they stil mak gud wifs as in thier respect 4 thier husband,house chores accuracy,bed perfection and they dont cheat lik imo girls...imo state sory oo...i withdraw my comments

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Mercyu1(f): 4:58pm On May 15, 2013
zeal22: If you want to marry an ibo girl, just give her belle sharp sharp. No more bills! grin
U see ur life
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Pain(m): 5:00pm On May 15, 2013
12 Shekels Per Dozen Bride.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by coolzeal(m): 5:02pm On May 15, 2013
bishop4life:

Though enugu girls as mgbeke as they are,they stil mak gud wifs as in thier respect 4 thier husband,house chores accuracy,bed perfection and they dont cheat lik imo girls...imo state sory oo...i withdraw my comments

Because they date for love and not for money and they act like ladies and treat their husband with respect unlike other Eastern states they are now called Mgbeke abi... In nutshell, it is those peeps from Anambra, Imo and Abia that notoriously gives the East bad names. Go figure..

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 5:10pm On May 15, 2013
A sizeable he-goat in my aunt's wedding
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Lilimax(f): 5:14pm On May 15, 2013
zeal22: If you want to marry an ibo girl, just give her belle sharp sharp. No more bills! grin
Igbo people no be the same with some people wey dey use belle lure men for marriage.
That type of marriage is dicey sort of sad.
It often does not end well in most cases.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by cleod: 5:15pm On May 15, 2013
You guys just say things you dont know, i am from Imo state, bride price depends on the family you are dealing with my cousin that got married, her husband paid 75000K.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Mercyu1(f): 5:19pm On May 15, 2013
EMMA BC:
You know it that u just told lies just to discredit a tribe u hate. Can u tell me the place in Igboland where bp is 500k and also d place in yorubaland where bp is #2. In Igbo land, bride price in most places are not fixed, rather d suitor is asked to pay whatever he wishes. In some other parts, it's fixed but very very minimal. It cud be 2k, 5k or 10k.
2k is even too much.Some part of Enugu state do collect #50 or #100 cos they bliv human beings are nt supposed 2 be sold

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by tyexploit: 5:20pm On May 15, 2013
Evestar200: The most ridiculous bride price have heard,, is of the Urhobo nd Esan poeple which pay #10 and #24 as their bride price, because they said they do not 'sell their women.

Esan people even return the bride price money to the groom's people after the marriage because they do not sell their girls.
bride price for Urhobos is not N10, its N120 and N20 would be return back to the grooms pple

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by eriegua83: 5:25pm On May 15, 2013
Bride price of the Itsekiris #12.
blink182: you think that of URHOBO is strange, wait until you hear that of the Itsekiris.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Mercyu1(f): 5:27pm On May 15, 2013
coolzeal:

Because they date for love and not for money and they act like ladies and treat their husband with respect unlike other Eastern states they are now called Mgbeke abi... In nutshell, it is those peeps from Anambra, Imo and Abia that notoriously gives the East bad names. Go figure..
Tell them!
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by CzarChris(m): 5:27pm On May 15, 2013
myOGAonTOP: somewhere in Imo State (no kidding):
400 iron buckets
600 yam tubers
2.3 million
21 pieces of wax wrapper
14 pieces of hollandis
20 cartons of green soap, cream and face powder
4 cartons of hot drinks
?? Cartons of beer, malt and mineral (cant remember the exact number. It was in the second list)
1 Calabash of kolanut
3 jars of alligator pepper
28 yards of lace
shoes, bags , jewelleries, scarves for mama
lion head shirt, cap, staff and shoes for papa
etc. This was for the first list.

We (and the girl's siblings) protested but the groom told us to chill. He was like he was going to use his savings and settle up for everything . He paid for EVERYTHING on those two lists and took his bride home. He warned the in-laws never to call him or step into his house. That was it. The guy never told anyone bout his job at agip until we came for his house warming party.
I dont know what most communities think a bride price is. Is it a sale of a commodity or an alliance with another family?
Definiately not an imo state list. It looks more like a list from Kalabari Rivers State. My colleague spent over 5million to marry a woman from Kalabari. Ikwerre people list is another story altogether. True Imo bride price is high but all these quotations here are outrageous. 500k is the highest I've ever seen in Imo state, both items and the actual bride price.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 5:35pm On May 15, 2013
Czar-Chris:
Definiely not an imo statelist.t. More like a list from Kalabari Rivers State. My colleague spent over 5million to marry a woman from Kalabari. Ikwerre people list is another story altogether. True Imo bride price is high but all there quotations here are outrageous. The highest I've ever seen in Imo state, both items and the actual bride price.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Krinel(f): 5:38pm On May 15, 2013
Policewoman: MBAISE IN IMO STATE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE. They grade their brides in 4 categories:
1. ILLITERATE
2. SCHOOL CERTIFICATE
3. GRADUATE
4. MASTERS AND ABOVE
Ur a liar, my broda married from mbaise last month, dey wrote 50k as bride price nd dey stated dat it is negotiable and finally d brides fada collected 2k and d bride is a workin graduate
Each has their different price tags. For example the graduate can cost you as much as 600k to 1m. smiley
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 15, 2013
bishop4life:

you see all those qualities in women and you still complain of being mgbeke??
the fact remains that Enugu women are the best and their families don't bankrupt inlaws in the name of pride price.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by chikk(f): 5:39pm On May 15, 2013
Please, if you don't have money to marry expensively, then don't date an expensive girl. Keep the hell off!! What the hell are all these about? The thread has turned into a tribal war. Funny enough, most of the comments here be like: 'my friend married...', 'my uncle married...', 'I heard of...'; none is is from personal experience.

If you have the cash, you see a woman to marry (with all the qualities you want) and she's from any of the states you see as having expensive bride prices, then don't marry her. Go for some cheap girl, well-bred or not. Or better still, go to a country where a woman will pay you dowry instead!!!!

Your friends tell you some hyped story about the bride price they paid, just to make you see them as rich, u come her to disturb front page.

Good things don't come cheap abeg. If you don't have the money, then BOUNCE!!!! If the women wanna stay at home for ever, its not nobody's effing business!

I'm not supporting some outrageous amount some people charge, but I think that Men who know what they want, also know how to get it. So If any man thinks there's no justification as to why some people have their bride prices as high, then you can as well, marry your sister!
#or better still, try being gay.

5 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by youngchopper(m): 5:39pm On May 15, 2013
30DB4FA6: My nairalanders am a proud imo dude here am not married buh I want my wife bride price to b expensive dats where u wud value ur wife if una no get money to marry den stay shingle or u go idimu village near ikotun egbe go carry 1 mbeke Yoruba gurl for fwee cheesy d ones way keep face like WTF cheesy dey are d best becos winch no fit attark u for night b/cos if winch see her face dem go shawt WTF demon no dey attark demon and dey can't cheat on u cheesy I love my imo babes. IBO KWENU grin
feel like shooting ur dumb brain

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by powerblaze(m): 5:41pm On May 15, 2013
The most annoying part is.. You are not even paying for a virgin! After paying all that amount of money and during honeymoon you find out her honeywell has been well 'serviced', how will you feel?
When you see a man standing on a hotel balcony, his hand supporting his chin, you know something ugly was revealed during the nite! cheesy;

5 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 5:48pm On May 15, 2013
coolzeal:

truth bro,
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by CzarChris(m): 5:50pm On May 15, 2013
ItsModella:
Dude seriously, grow up. If you are in doubt, go and ask what it cost to marry a woman from Kalabari and stop displaying your high level of speleotogic ignoramus here. Thank you.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 5:53pm On May 15, 2013
chikk: Please, if you don't have money to marry expensively, then don't date an expensive girl. Keep the hell off!! What the hell are all these about? The thread has turned into a tribal war. Funny enough, most of the comments here be like: 'my friend married...', 'my uncle married...', 'I heard of...'; none is is from personal experience.

If you have the cash, you see a woman to marry (with all the qualities you want) and she's from any of the states you see as having expensive bride prices, then don't marry her. Go for some cheap girl, well-bred or not. Or better still, go to a country where a woman will pay you dowry instead!!!!

Your friends tell you some hyped story about the bride price they paid, just to make you see them as rich, u come her to disturb front page.

Good things don't come cheap abeg. If you don't have the money, then BOUNCE!!!! If the women wanna stay at home for ever, its not nobody's effing business!

I'm not supporting some outrageous amount some people charge, but I think that Men who know what they want, also know how to get it. So If any man thinks there's no justification as to why some people have their bride prices as high, then you can as well, marry your sister!
#or better still, try being gay.

you still have a long way to go!!

7 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Decryptor(m): 5:58pm On May 15, 2013
Evestar200: @yomi,,igbo marriage bride price cost die mosly imo igbos
That's because Ibo women don't come cheap
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 6:11pm On May 15, 2013
How much for when the gurl is educated?
BarryX: check the prices
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by sylve11: 6:18pm On May 15, 2013
goldfish80: I think its between Ngwa(Abia) and Mbaise(Imo)
In Mbaise they will offer you one of brides younger siblings to train from whatever level they are,to university level,after sucking your pocket dry from all long list of quite frankly Id.iotic demands.
Ngwa comes a distant 2nd,last time an uncle went to marry there,they demanded a laptop and a modem in addition to a 'ladies motorcycle' for the brides mum.crazie

Lol, mostly at the laptop and modem stuff. Jesus, all these israeli people too like money. grin grin grin grin cool
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 15, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Oba Of Lagos Refuses To Shake Ooni Of Ife (video) / Drama At Ooni’s Palace: Wives, Children Barred From Ooni’s Burial / Hilarious "ISHAN" Adage And Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.