Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,714 members, 7,816,946 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:49 PM

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (50704 Views)

When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Why Do Yorubas Return The Bride-price To The Groom's Family? / Strangest African Cultures You Have Ever Heard Of, Or Experienced (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by omartins(m): 6:19pm On May 15, 2013
And most of this parent are inresponsible ones. I witness that of Isoko where their step-father contribute nothing to their welfare, even feeding not to talk of educating them but he is always found in the act of siphoning his step-daugthers husband purse.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Fussbot: 6:19pm On May 15, 2013
goldfish80:
Bros park well,the N25 bride price doesn't tell the full story.When you consider items written down in the list such as Jorge,25 cartons of beer or more,cartons of malt,rolls of ciggarete,utaba,cartons of Soap,gift items to umuada,youths,iyom Aro,memebers of the brides clan etc etc... There goes your N25 theory lol
did I see ROLLS OF CIGGARETE??grin
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 6:19pm On May 15, 2013
Czar-Chris:

Dude seriously, grow up. If you are in doubt, go and ask what it cost to marry a woman from Kalabari and stop displaying your high level of speleotogic ignoramus here. Thank you.
are you done lying? oya, move aside.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Fussbot: 6:22pm On May 15, 2013
Lilimax:
You will not die but live grin grin grin
amen o..na e-death b4 na grin
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by nosike3(m): 6:24pm On May 15, 2013
myOGAonTOP: somewhere in Imo State (no kidding):
400 iron buckets
600 yam tubers
2.3 million
21 pieces of wax wrapper
14 pieces of hollandis
20 cartons of green soap, cream and face powder
4 cartons of hot drinks
?? Cartons of beer, malt and mineral (cant remember the exact number. It was in the second list)
1 Calabash of kolanut
3 jars of alligator pepper
28 yards of lace
shoes, bags , jewelleries, scarves for mama
lion head shirt, cap, staff and shoes for papa
etc. This was for the first list.

We (and the girl's siblings) protested but the groom told us to chill. He was like he was going to use his savings and settle up for everything . He paid for EVERYTHING on those two lists and took his bride home. He warned the in-laws never to call him or step into his house. That was it. The guy never told anyone bout his job at agip until we came for his house warming party.
I dont know what most communities think a bride price is. Is it a sale of a commodity or an alliance with another family?
bobo go sitdown!! Or better still go lick sunday stew!!! Is this a script of a nollywood film? 'He didn't tell any one his work at agip'? Listen u pathetic lier.. In the traditional igbo society all details are checked and cross-checked!! So if u wanted comment to your comment;you got it.. Now fuu ck
off!!
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by hardbody: 6:30pm On May 15, 2013
goldfish80:
Bros park well,the N25 bride price doesn't tell the full story.When you consider items written down in the list such as Jorge,25 cartons of beer or more,cartons of malt,rolls of ciggarete,utaba,cartons of Soap,gift items to umuada,youths,iyom Aro,memebers of the brides clan etc etc... There goes your N25 theory lol

If you are any where near smart you will know we are talking about bride price here not the the total cost of a traditional wedding. Did you study that part of English Language called comprehension? It means reading, understanding and retaining.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 6:30pm On May 15, 2013
2 cents. (US)

Thats what 190 offered to pay for flytefallz hand in marriage. angry angry
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 15, 2013
nosike3: bobo go sitdown!! Or better still go lick sunday stew!!! Is this a script of a nollywood film? 'He didn't tell any one his work at agip'? Listen u pathetic lier.. In the traditional igbo society all details are checked and cross-checked!! So if u wanted comment to your comment;you got it.. Now fuu ck
off!!

Lwkm!!!!!
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by malipalina: 6:33pm On May 15, 2013
WITH ALL THESE LONG LISTS N DIFF STORIES, DOES LOVE COUNT AGAIN ?

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 6:42pm On May 15, 2013
I feel sorry for you guys lol, because my people pay dowry and therefore the man gets money and goods transferred to him. It's supposed to be my value at the time of marriage. And depending on my education, job, and social class it gets to be very high. And my parents pay for the wedding too! It's supposed to show that the bride is coming from a very wealthy family and has very high class, and only high class people marry each other. So in theory, my dowry should only represent say 15-30% of the husband's worth. Including myself there are 6 boys and 4 girls in the family, so my parents need to be very wealthy indeed to pay that much dowry especially since we are all educated and fair skinned shocked
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by sylve11: 6:44pm On May 15, 2013
malipalina: WITH ALL THESE LONG LISTS N DIFF STORIES, DOES LOVE COUNT AGAIN ?

grin grin grin grin cool
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 6:58pm On May 15, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Na only them get girl? Them go rotten 4 house.
Dem go tey for market, after all their are many fishes in the river. When the girl finally turn 30, then her popsy will now be thinking of getting a second wife.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Okeyson4wisdom(m): 7:03pm On May 15, 2013
kokoye: Billy goat with a bowtie.

chikena chikena chikena o
well my place in oji river L:G.A in Enugu state still uses about 10-20 thousand as bride price, my elder sis that got married the bride price was ten thousand naira and some part was even refunded to my inlaw coz we dont sell our daughters in my community.

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 7:03pm On May 15, 2013
Cornel88: Your friends elder sister must be around her late 30's or early 40's. That is why she is very cheap. And probably that igbo girl must have finished her nysc, then the difference is clear.
To be candid with you, she is a young medical doctor.. in her late 20's. So she is not old at all.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 7:05pm On May 15, 2013
ChEkWaS IyKe :

Lie lie.. Be sincere to urself. Apart frm Imo State I hv been hearing dat collect 100 tubers of Yam if am correct, which state collect 500,000? Tel us
Why are you trying to defend Imo people na tongue tongue
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by goldfish80(m): 7:07pm On May 15, 2013
hardbody:

If you are any where near smart you will know we are talking about bride price here not the the total cost of a traditional wedding. Did you study that part of English Language called comprehension? It means reading, understanding and retaining.
Mr English speaker,if your IQ wasnt the square root of 1,you would Have known the bride prize being discussed here is the cummulative List issued by the brides. Kinsmen. As people Have been listing on this thread items such as 60tubbers of yam,wrappers,even cars.... Kapish?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 7:09pm On May 15, 2013
Policewoman: MBAISE IN IMO STATE IS THE MOST EXPENSIVE. They grade their brides in 4 categories:
1. ILLITERATE
2. SCHOOL CERTIFICATE
3. GRADUATE
4. MASTERS AND ABOVE

Each has their different price tags. For example the graduate can cost you as much as 600k to 1m. smiley
Exept when her vi*gina is made of Gold and my own John Thomas is made of diamond that's when i will think of marrying her. Aside of that...Error 404!
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by mkoabiola: 7:09pm On May 15, 2013
Does it mean I shud av millions to pay as a bride price snc I want to marry an ibo gal frm owerri.
Dey mus b joking.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Buc(m): 7:14pm On May 15, 2013
igbsam: And you call that ridiculous ? My friend got married to an owerri girl last year. He paid a bride price of N2.5million, after which, he bought the wedding materials for all the relatives, from the mother, to the father down to the uncles and aunties, the sisters and cousins including nephews. He was also give 2 family members to train in school and business. After 8months of the wedding.....the bride's father demanded for a car and the father specifically asked for a 2005 c-class Mercedes Benz Car which he borrow money to buy for him. The mother asked for some money to fill her shop with stocks which my friend is still finding it difficult to give her. Isn't this ridiculous ?
lie
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 7:15pm On May 15, 2013
EMMA BC:
You know it that u just told lies just to discredit a tribe u hate. Can u tell me the place in Igboland where bp is 500k and also d place in yorubaland where bp is #2. In Igbo land, bride price in most places are not fixed, rather d suitor is asked to pay whatever he wishes. In some other parts, it's fixed but very very minimal. It cud be 2k, 5k or 10k.
My brother why are you trying to cover your people up na... I am telling you from what i saw and not them say dem say. Inshort Akwa Ibom State is even the worst self as they listed Football boot as port of the bride prize. All because i wan marry? Error 404. Or will she give birth to Gold or Diamond?
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Odunharry(m): 7:17pm On May 15, 2013
make una no try calabar or akwa ibom girls o.d 1 make calabar gal tel me ehn..i open mouth.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Empress2013: 7:23pm On May 15, 2013
Well, am a yoruba gurl form Oyo state. I will be getting married soon. The bride price my Dad demanded is 500 Naira, which will eventually be returned in the presence of evrybody during engagement, cos he is not selling his daughter.
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by safarigirl(f): 7:26pm On May 15, 2013
When someone from Arochukwu says N25, na lie, when Isoko said N10 na true. SMH. All I know is bride price is N25 in my village, if in doubt, go marry from there (don't send your bros, uncle, friend, cousin, friend of a cousin or your pastor)
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Buc(m): 7:26pm On May 15, 2013
vivalableue: I feel sorry for you guys lol, because my people pay dowry and therefore the man gets money and goods transferred to him. It's supposed to be my value at the time of marriage. And depending on my education, job, and social class it gets to be very high. And my parents pay for the wedding too! It's supposed to show that the bride is coming from a very wealthy family and has very high class, and only high class people marry each other. So in theory, my dowry should only represent say 15-30% of the husband's worth. Including myself there are 6 boys and 4 girls in the family, so my parents need to be very wealthy indeed to pay that much dowry especially since we are all educated and fair skinned shocked
'fair skinned'. Me wil giv a kidney 4 an ebony beauty.

7 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Evestar200(f): 7:31pm On May 15, 2013
Chai! My topic make front page
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 7:33pm On May 15, 2013
Am the 'ADA' of my house.All this one na stoooorrry.If my Pple won Bleep my fiance up,na me go first Bleep dem up.I won't take that rubbish at all.mtchewww.I go just get belle for am straight go do court marriage.Na dem sef go call us for negotiation.By then I go don drop like 2 engine.No dulling cheesy angry

2 Likes

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 15, 2013
Buc: 'fair skinned'. Me wil giv a kidney 4 an ebony beauty.

I myself love love love my chocolate Yoruba oga, but my culture is what it is. I didn't make it, often time, fair-skinned Indians get a better treatment than dark-skinned ones. Trust me, its not fair! angry I have darker cousins who get the second treatment because of just that, and they are beautiful, educated, talented,and humble girls.

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Nobody: 7:43pm On May 15, 2013
All my cousins that are 'ADA' of their house are really complaining.WTF. I am from Anambra state and seriously my village value their first daughters and so some families just hype their wards unnecessarily
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by bishop4life(m): 7:45pm On May 15, 2013
991:

you see all those qualities in women and you still complain of being mgbeke??
the fact remains that Enugu women are the best and their families don't bankrupt inlaws in the name of pride price.

Because they date for love and not for money and they act like ladies and treat their husbandwith respect unlike other Eastern states they are now called Mgbeke abi... In nutshell, it is those peeps from Anambra, Imo and Abia that notoriously gives the East bad names. Go figure..

Tell them!

pls no1 is complainin,nd mind u i didnt go further to say thier ugly side because i went striaght to answa a question witout bein sentimental.wonda y u guyz lik takin tinz personal,instead of askin 4 my reasons.grow up...most enugu gals are mbgeke,pls is u are not comfotable wit dat go nd hug transformer QED
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Evestar200(f): 7:46pm On May 15, 2013
Samsantos9: @op it's presently #120 for the Urhobo's bride price. . .
since when? Cuz am an urhobo gal,,nd am nt aware of dat
Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by bukkylois(f): 7:51pm On May 15, 2013
lynpetra: Am the 'ADA' of my house.All this one na stoooorrry.If my Pple won Bleep my fiance up,na me go first Bleep dem up.I won't take that rubbish at all.mtchewww.I go just get belle for am straight go do court marriage.Na dem sef go call us for negotiation.By then I go don drop like 2 engine.No dulling cheesy angry
My dear out of all d pple wey dey here na u make sense pass kiss

1 Like

Re: The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? by Evestar200(f): 7:51pm On May 15, 2013
JORAF: that was before things done change for esan land
since when? Cuz my frnd sister got married last yr and d bride price was #20,,she is from esan south

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Oba Of Lagos Refuses To Shake Ooni Of Ife (video) / Drama At Ooni’s Palace: Wives, Children Barred From Ooni’s Burial / Hilarious "ISHAN" Adage And Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.