Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,748 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools (21142 Views)

Boko Haram "Writes" Public Schools In Lagos / Apapa Blasts: Lagos Issues First-line Order To Public Schools / Lagos Rejects Move To Reduce Income Tax Rates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 15, 2013
Dempsy: ......lagos state i besiege u to get ready for islamic attack.....pls Fashola take this matter slowly for d sake of lagosians....i know wot muslims can do.....
i reject it for lagos in jesus name.eko oni baje o! Islamic fundamentalists please if you are not satisfied with lagos you can move to your zone (islamic headquarters in nigeria, north) where you happily bom...:p

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 6:06pm On May 15, 2013
hotbabe001: Nobody forced u 2 take ur chlid 2 a public sch if u can't obey d law use plan B (private sch)wat can't u guys understand abi is ur head made of block?. And stop shouting dat u want 2 fight 4 one mumu right. Nigerians & religion even wit d religion we no dey move forward.even hijab should b banned in NYSC no additional material should b added 2 avoid religion fights
gbam.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 6:10pm On May 15, 2013
tolex34:
School Uniform is not bra and pant nor bikini, so how does that uncovers her modesty or expose her nak.edness to the public. U jus wan make person vex
i just wonder for some human beings.so exposing your hair and neck equals to unclothedness.so what then do they say for run way models or the girls that shake their bom bom in music videos like wizkid,d.banj etc cheesy wink
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by hafees: 6:12pm On May 15, 2013
Every one mouth de sweet now!

The school should also ban prayers at the assembly grounds in public school because Monday to Thursday they scream Jesus, and only pray the muslim way on Fridays only and that is if the pricipal allows it.

I rest my case.

What i don't understand is how does Hijab become paramount in all the important things they are suppose to do in Lagos! does it give any one headache? na wao. Pls everyone shld be objective and stop being blinded by religious hatred.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 6:15pm On May 15, 2013
hafees: Every one mouth de sweet now!

The school should also ban prayers at the assembly grounds in public school because Monday to Thursday they scream Jesus, and only pray the muslim way on Fridays only and that is if the pricipal allows it.

I rest my case.

What i don't understand is how does Hijab become paramount in all the important things they are suppose to do in Lagos! does it give any one headache? na wao. Pls everyone shld be objective and stop being blinded by religious hatred.
i dont mind that.nigerians need to divorce religion from education.they need to restrict their religious sentiments to their sittingrooms.it will even have been better if our so called religion was reflecting in our attitude towards money and integrity...ishhh
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 6:20pm On May 15, 2013
REVOLUTNIS: Yorubas are not true Muslims
tribal bigot and islamic fundamentalist!
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by emmakind: 6:24pm On May 15, 2013
Reski: this is bullshit if lagos is a secular state it simply implies everybody is free to practice and dress however he or she wishes if muslims decide to wear hijjab to school wats the big deal after all everybody is supposed to be accomodated in a secular society irrespective of weda u are muslim hindu christain or pagan wateva it is it shouldnt b the concern of the state.
Secular in this context connotes that no state should adopt any religion. Allowing girls to wear hijab would be tantamount to the state government giving support to Islam
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Remii(m): 6:27pm On May 15, 2013
This law is unnecessary and provocative, students have been wearing hijab since ages in Lagos, no time has any trouble traced to Hijab wearing kids. This should be resisted by all peaceful means possible. As long as you can see faces and identify each other there should not be any law targeting a section of the society no one is complaining about girls wearing church choir caps in public schools.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 6:32pm On May 15, 2013
Dospix: Some of the muslim girls in my school use this hi-jab to steal books from the school library; some also use it to smuggle expo into the hall during examination
cheesy cheesy cheesy breeze don dey blow,fowl nyash don open.so na why all this muslim girls dey wear that nonsense they call hijab cheesy
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Fussbot: 6:38pm On May 15, 2013
kulyie: cheesy cheesy cheesy breeze don dey blow,fowl nyash don open.so na why all this muslim girls dey wear that nonsense they call hijab cheesy
kin loloriburuku,atoku maku.ato lo ile oko malo to ti fi aye re seyun tan yin nso??

I wan postpone ur punishment til next wik b4 ni,bt wit dis 1 wey u con post..I don get ur time..

Oro enue na ni o je o loko...mo ti ra ye e leni..tieta!
Let's go dia!
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by mekaboy(m): 6:39pm On May 15, 2013
Remii: This law is unnecessary and provocative, students have been wearing hijab since ages in Lagos, no time has any trouble traced to Hijab wearing kids. This should be resisted by all peaceful means possible. As long as you can see faces and identify each other there should not be any law targeting a section of the society no one is complaining about girls wearing church choir caps in public schools.

The same way boko haram was growing and turned into what it is today. It is time check the cancer before it spreads from the north.

You either go by the rules or u go to another school.

Was it not saudi arabia that deported people for being handsome? Did anyone sue the saudi govt? Saudi govt even arrest pple for practicing christianity. Nobody complains, it is their law.

In public school, the uniform is a symbol or equality, justice and unity. Whatever your religious believes are are hidden under the uniform.

For muslims students to wear hijab on top of the uniform is a sign or religious superiority. Else everyone will dress to school according to their believe.

So, what ever religion you belong to, in a public school it is secondary.

Soon they will allow muslim male students to carry dagger to school, and say it is part of the religion.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 6:40pm On May 15, 2013
okpara ugo: Fashola is not a true moslem.

Allahu Akbar!!!

#carrying ak47 on my back#
another boko haram member on the loose.we see how they obey the laws of the land and how peaceful they are to their neighbours and people around them :p
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by probsolver: 6:44pm On May 15, 2013
The attention of the Muslim Students' Society of Nigeria (MSSN) Lagos State Area Unit has been drawn to the purported ban on the use of Hijab in Lagos State public Schools by the state government.

The State Commissioner for Education, Mrs Olayinka Oladunjoye, was widely quoted in the media claiming that the decision to ban the use of hijab was a consensus reached at a 'stakeholders' meeting chaired by the Commissioner for Home Affairs and Culture Mr Oyinlomo Danmole.

We want to state unequivocally that the claim of Mrs Oladunjoye was an absolute lie and an attempt to obtruct the course of justice.

The commissioner claimed in her statement to the media that the MSSN representatives were at the so called stakeholders' meeting where the decision to ban the hijab was taken. This is ridiculous. How can we be demanding that the right of Muslims to use hijab in schools be given them and at the same time we will consent to a 'consensus' that is anti-thetical to our demand? We were never invited for any meeting at any point in time!

Let us state here that the state government had reneged on its agreement to call us for dialogue since our mass protest of Februarry 28, 2013 to the Governor's Office in Alausa. The state government did not only reneged on all agreements but also ensured through delay tactics that the case is swept under the carpet.

The pronouncement by the commissioner is an after thought and a flagrant disrespect for the rule of law. We have already served the government court notice on the issue and Justice Oyewole of the State High Court had fixed May 27, 2013 for hearing of our suit. So, we wonder why the commissioner, who we believe, knows the position of the law, would come out to make such irresponsible pronouncement. Her action makes us to question her professional integrity as a lawyer!

We therefore advised governor Babatunde Fashola to caution this woman before she destroyed the integrity left in the government.
Such personalities like Mrs Oladunjoye and her co-travellers are not fit for public positionand should henceforth be removed from office.

As we have stated in our previous positions, we will employ all legal and peaceful means to ensure our rights are not denied us. The constitution of Nigeria recognises the right to use hijab in schools and nobody can take it away from us.

We will not relent!

Thanks.

Sulaimon Alamutu

PRO, MSSN Lagos State Area Unit

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 6:45pm On May 15, 2013
Fussbot: kin loloriburuku,atoku maku.ato lo ile oko malo to ti fi aye re seyun tan yin nso??

I wan postpone ur punishment til next wik b4 ni,bt wit dis 1 wey u con post..I don get ur time..

Oro enue na ni o je o loko...mo ti ra ye e leni..tieta!
Let's go dia!
hehehhehe cheesy cheesy cheesy what nonsense is this mad man ranting sef.anyway,i get your time any day any time. 8-)

na your type dey wa,n,k off when you see naked girlsin music video cheesy
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by mortee: 6:47pm On May 15, 2013
abubello:
so those rules and regulations should override ones religious injunctions? Why should a muslim girl who wants to cover her modesty be forced to expose her nak.edness to the public?

Don't believe all you see, bro. Hijab does cover the body, but it does not cover the real person under the garb. Hijab is not needed to be modest, please. Don't remind me of my hostel mate in school ooo...

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by PeterKbaba: 6:47pm On May 15, 2013
Lagos State is a serious -minded, progressive outfit of intelligent Nigerians. Rather than the envy for Lagos State and the South that drives awusa barbarism, the Northern elite should take a cue. Cultural barbarism has left the awusa north in the sinkhole it is in. Lagos State is not the Center of Excellence for nothing. It has the credentials to show. LONG LIVE LAGOS STATE OF NIGERIA and its administrators. Every citizen of goodwill is proud of you.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 15, 2013
Remii: no time has any trouble traced to Hijab wearing kids. This should be resisted by all peaceful means possible.

read the write up above from probsolver. undecided Does that sound peaceful?

girls wearing church choir caps in public schools.

where did you see that? If its not part of the school uniform then it should be removed, eod.

anyway, the govt should return mission schools to their respective organizations, period.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 6:49pm On May 15, 2013
probsolver: The attention of the Muslim Students' Society of Nigeria (MSSN) Lagos State Area Unit has been drawn to the purported ban on the use of Hijab in Lagos State public Schools by the state government.

The State Commissioner for Education, Mrs Olayinka Oladunjoye, was widely quoted in the media claiming that the decision to ban the use of hijab was a consensus reached at a 'stakeholders' meeting chaired by the Commissioner for Home Affairs and Culture Mr Oyinlomo Danmole.

We want to state unequivocally that the claim of Mrs Oladunjoye was an absolute lie and an attempt to obtruct the course of justice.

The commissioner claimed in her statement to the media that the MSSN representatives were at the so called stakeholders' meeting where the decision to ban the hijab was taken. This is ridiculous. How can we be demanding that the right of Muslims to use hijab in schools be given them and at the same time we will consent to a 'consensus' that is anti-thetical to our demand? We were never invited for any meeting at any point in time!

Let us state here that the state government had reneged on its agreement to call us for dialogue since our mass protest of Februarry 28, 2013 to the Governor's Office in Alausa. The state government did not only reneged on all agreements but also ensured through delay tactics that the case is swept under the carpet.

The pronouncement by the commissioner is an after thought and a flagrant disrespect for the rule of law. We have already served the government court notice on the issue and Justice Oyewole of the State High Court had fixed May 27, 2013 for hearing of our suit. So, we wonder why the commissioner, who we believe, knows the position of the law, would come out to make such irresponsible pronouncement. Her action makes us to question her professional integrity as a lawyer!

We therefore advised governor Babatunde Fashola to caution this woman before she destroyed the integrity left in the government.
Such personalities like Mrs Oladunjoye and her co-travellers are not fit for public positionand should henceforth be removed from office.

As we have stated in our previous positions, we will employ all legal and peaceful means to ensure our rights are not denied us. The constitution of Nigeria recognises the right to use hijab in schools and nobody can take it away from us.

We will not relent!

Thanks.

Sulaimon Alamutu

i just watched the 6pm news on ait and the news caster said the same thing that i am reading on nairaland.thank you 8-)
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by mortee: 6:52pm On May 15, 2013
Remii: This law is unnecessary and provocative, students have been wearing hijab since ages in Lagos, no time has any trouble traced to Hijab wearing kids. This should be resisted by all peaceful means possible. As long as you can see faces and identify each other there should not be any law targeting a section of the society no one is complaining about girls wearing church choir caps in public schools.

Those things you call church choir caps are berets and it is not personalised to the Christian religion. It is part of the school uniform and is used more to cover unkempt or overgrown hair than for religious purposes. Besides, some girls with hijabs also wear the beret under the scarf. Loads of Christian sisters also use the muslim scarves as part of their dressing, especially on Fridays.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by probsolver: 6:57pm On May 15, 2013
@tpia, what trouble can u traced to dat write up jare.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by mekaboy(m): 7:07pm On May 15, 2013
probsolver: The attention of the Muslim Students' Society of Nigeria (MSSN) Lagos State Area Unit has been drawn to the purported ban on the use of Hijab in Lagos State public Schools by the state government.

We will not relent!

Thanks.

Sulaimon Alamutu

Two things are involved, its either they ban school uniforms in public schools and let everyone dress how they want or the muslims stick to the rules.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Mogidi: 7:08pm On May 15, 2013
This is only a temporary respite, a new muslim governor (being a Muslim is a prerequisite for the position of Lagos governor) would overturn this. I see Lagos practicing Sharia law in the near future.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 15, 2013
school berets are being called church choir caps?

and they are used even when the hair is low cut, its to present a neat appearance, not substitute for personal grooming.

@ remii

school berets are part of the school uniform and are french in origin.

i actually have no idea what you mean by church choir caps.

and how could you grow up in nigeria and not know what a school beret is? Did you live in the north perhaps?
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Fussbot: 7:21pm On May 15, 2013
kulyie: hehehhehe cheesy cheesy cheesy what nonsense is this mad man ranting sef.anyway,i get your time any day any time. 8-)

na your type dey wa,n,k off when you see naked girlsin music video cheesy
u only had dis 2 say?aye e de ma baje ni!

Oh I took u by surprise ba??dat's me..omode e buroko.on weyin,ojo lo ro pe oluwere n pani ni??

Ma fi yee pe omo ibadan ni mi...al dos curse wey u giv me on sunday na small 2 d 1s in ibadan..

Ko ni bee shan fun e..reply me jhoor...alayebaje..mtscheew..hmmm
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by mithel(m): 7:26pm On May 15, 2013
abubello:
so those rules and regulations should override ones religious injunctions? Why should a muslim girl who wants to cover her modesty be forced to expose her nak.edness to the public?

what modesty?? undecided are the school uniforms bikinis??mscheeww

nonsense
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by tintingz(m): 7:26pm On May 15, 2013
Shouting ''in Jesus name'' like lost sheep should be ban during assembly period...

Imagine from monday to thurday claping and screaming Jesus Jesus Jesus!! It is only on fridays we hear Allah's name

Shouting God like Allah or Eloim or Olorun name is general and better.
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by HassanAJibril(m): 7:37pm On May 15, 2013
What a shameless and uselessgoverno fashola,....wearing Hijab is the most significant ack ever...wearing Hijab helps in rape reduction...why do you Band Hijab why there are many student using it because its an order....its islamically for wonem all of her body is an aberant to be seen except her face and handm...so what do you want us to now?
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by mekaboy(m): 7:38pm On May 15, 2013
tintingz: Shouting ''in Jesus name'' like lost sheep should be ban during assembly period...

Imagine from monday to thurday claping and screaming Jesus Jesus Jesus!! It is only on fridays we hear Allah's name

Boko haram shout it everyday when they go to kill innocent people, kabiru sokoto shouted it when he went to bomb this day. Abubakar shakeu shouts everyday with AK47 on youtube.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by mekaboy(m): 7:42pm On May 15, 2013
Hassan A Jibril: What a shameless and uselessgoverno fashola,....wearing Hijab is the most significant ack ever...wearing Hijab helps in rape reduction...why do you Band Hijab why there are many student using it because its an order....its islamically for wonem all of her body is an aberant to be seen except her face and handm...so what do you want us to now?

Hypocrite, which molestation are you talking about? Are you not the same people that give out underaged girls for marriage and let them develop all sorts of health complications after giving birth?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by Fussbot: 8:05pm On May 15, 2013
U no fit reply me again abi kuli??asho tie le ode!

Tel ur partner am coming 4 her 2....idi*ts..mtscheew...
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by tintingz(m): 8:19pm On May 15, 2013
mekaboy:

Boko haram shout it everyday when they go to kill innocent people, kabiru sokoto shouted it when he went to bomb this day. Abubakar shakeu shouts everyday with AK47 on youtube.
we are talking of school assembly, these one is saying boko haram

Do you even know what 'boko' 'haram' means?
Re: Lagos Rejects Hijab In Public Schools by tpia5: 8:20pm On May 15, 2013
tintingz: Shouting ''in Jesus name'' like lost sheep should be ban during assembly period...

I think you are exaggerating anyways.

In any case, returning schools to their respective missions may be the only way forward, and in addition, will raise the constantly falling jamb and waec scores.

As per your last sentence, the song father abraham has many sons, a common song in nigerian schools, is Jesus mentioned there?

I dont know why some of you like to play oversabi as if you're wiser than those who went before you.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

United States Supporting Atiku, PDP – Buhari’s APC Alleges / Bayelsa State Governor, Alamieyeseigha, Arrested In London! / Presidential Poll: No Regret Working Against Buhari –ohanaeze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.