Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,114 members, 7,838,820 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 09:56 AM

Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? - Islam for Muslims (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? (17896 Views)

What are the Rewards For Muslim Women In Paradise? / Why Are Muslim Imams Not Buying Private Jets? / Why Are Muslim Suffering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by shamson: 8:44pm On May 24, 2013
salt 1:

Well-rehearsed lines quoted everywhere! The answers are always the same:

1. Generalization: every single person in Jos, or South South is a Christian. Even when the people are idle worshippers following their people's tradition, they are still lumped as Christians
2. Mary wore veil. You disrespect her son and the religion He brought but quote her when using her age of marriage or dressing to buttress your point
3. Abraham, Solomon etc were polygamous over 2000 years' ago but they're still used to justify institutionalized polygamy in the 21st century
4.History: @thaba, Muslim women had more rights than British women donkey years ago, so Islam is fair to women today.
Change is the only constant but Muslims refuse to change. But for the compulsion and dogma that exists, I know many women who would gladly jettison this angry faith. I hear you talk of convinced Muslims and Muslims by default.

I read parts of the biography of "I am Nujood, ten years' old and divorced" and my heart bled.
Islam insists on consent for the girl before marriage. What consent can a 9year-old Yemeni girl have when she's to be married off to a 35year old man?
We should mind our business with the high female illiteracy level in the North, the high poverty rate (which is wearing a woman's face), with child marriage and its associated risks of VVF?

Blame muslims not Islam
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by kmuf4: 8:54pm On May 24, 2013
Islam gives women more freedom and respect to women more than any other religion. But many country imbibe there culture into the religion and wat so ever such people does its islam dt is @ fault irrespective its contrary to islam teachings.
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by hero2947: 9:21pm On May 24, 2013
In Summary, Moslems are too local..
Very Local people indeed.
They are Blinded by the Religion.

Their Dressing, ways, education, Social life, Men, women everything Local...

imagine somebody putting on jalabia weh no even reach ground wtf to a job interview??!!!

Thank God Fashola just banned Hyjab in our schools, he wants them to meet up but water don enter pipeline.

Check out our Schools e.g Redeemers Uni, Covenant, etc where is their School?? na Local.

Check out the Soul singers, you'll find Don Moen, T.D jakes, CECE winas, Ayefele, Tope Alabi, Kore etc Moslems?? you'll find the Orobo kibo king Pasuma, Kwam 1 with 30 wives and 60 kids, Osupa saheed, Atawewe, Safejo Amama, Saheed Container etc.

it's just so disgusting.

Locality don enter their DNA.

Abeg, no abuse me o.

winks.
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by AyeeIdris(f): 9:31pm On May 24, 2013
Child's conversation with Allah
Child- who shall I give my love to? respect and honour to? Who should I rever the most after you?

Allah- your mother
Child- who next?
Allah- your mother
Child- who next?
Allah- Your mother.................... And then your father.

Enuff said

1 Like

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by maclatunji: 9:38pm On May 24, 2013
fellis:

Okey dokey.

I have heard.

#Smiling
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by maclatunji: 9:48pm On May 24, 2013
hero2947: In Summary, Moslems are too local..

imagine somebody putting on jalabia weh no even reach ground wtf to a job interview??!!!

Thank God Fashola just banned Hyjab in our schools, he wants them to meet up but water don enter pipeline.

Check out our Schools e.g Redeemers Uni, Covenant, etc where is their School?? na Local.

Check out the Soul singers, you'll find Don Moen, T.D jakes, CECE winas, Ayefele, Tope Alabi, Kore etc Moslems?? you'll find the Orobo kibo king Pasuma, Kwam 1 with 30 wives and 60 kids, Osupa saheed, Atawewe, Safejo Amama, Saheed Container etc.

it's just so disgusting.

Abeg, no abuse me o.

winks.

Yet, your 'stars' keep dashing to Dubai controlled by 'local' Muslims. Your thinking is sub-par.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by RealSleek(m): 11:05pm On May 24, 2013
I rily wud want u all to stop criticizing, cos frankly it won't change anything...but I will carefully chip in wat I believe abt modesty....either u use hijab or u dress like a deeper life ...it does not make u holy neither does it get you to heaven....my advice to christians and muslim alike is......be moderate in whatever you practise..and always...I repeat always do findings about facts ursef and follow ur own instinctive reasoning and not base ur beliefs on wat someone tell u ..)
And make sure u make d best of ur life and enjoy it cos it will be worse for u...if u deny urself everything there is and u end up in hell....dat is double loss....
I pray for peace and unity in Nigeria ....God bless....
I'm a christian and I see every liberal muslim as a brother and not as 'infidels'
Shallom!

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by kingado: 11:14pm On May 24, 2013
Haha! Ok let's ans this questions religiously
1. What is/are d oppressions islam put on women?
2. What do our culture and xtanity say about hw a woman shld dress?
3. If women are allowed to drive publicly, how safe is it?
4. How would you fill when other men look at ur wife/women mark d word look?
5 have watch so many xtain religious films/documentaries abt Jesus,moses, joseph and other noble men, how do women in those films dress?, do dey wear tight jeans, mini skirts
6 well tell us sincerely hw u fill wen u miss with women, is ur expression d same as wen u ar with guys?

Ans dis to make me have a stand!
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by RealSleek(m): 11:35pm On May 24, 2013
kingado: Haha! Ok let's ans this questions religiously
5 have watch so many xtain religious films/documentaries abt Jesus,moses, joseph and other noble men, how do women in those films dress?, do dey wear tight jeans, mini skirts
6 well tell us sincerely hw u fill wen u miss with women, is ur expression d same as wen u ar with guys?

I'm going to try and answer ur question d best way I can.....tho it may nt be perfect ..jes my opinion based on wt I've seen and read...
1. Women wearing black cover in hot tropical sun...I personally see it as unjust....wt abt women dt 'trip' for anoda person's husband ..is dere somefin men can put on to curtail d possibilty of dis too?
2. Christianity and I tink yoruba tradition emphasizes on modesty in dressing.
3. Some women are even better drivers than men
4. Jealous...
5. Haba!...do u really need an answer to dt...if u go to isreal nw ..I'm sure dey nw dress differently
6. I'm telling u..its all abt ur own personal mindset...I've passed by a fully veiled women before and I was aroused cos he don tay way I unload smiley
kingado: Haha! Ok let's ans this questions religiously

I'm going to try and answer ur question d best way I can.....tho it may nt be perfect ..jes my opinion based on wt I've seen and read...
1. Women wearing black cover in hot tropical sun...I personally see it as unjust....wt abt women dt 'trip' for anoda person's husband ..is dere somefin men can put on to curtail d possibilty of dis too?
2. Christianity and I tink yoruba tradition emphasizes on modesty in dressing.
3. Some women are even better drivers than men
4. Jealous...
5. Haba!...do u really need an answer to dt...if u go to isreal nw ..I'm sure dey nw dress differently
6. I'm telling u..its all abt ur own personal mindset...I've passed by a fully veiled women before and I was aroused cos he don tay way I unload..and anoda time I looked a lady dt sagged her jean in total disgust..
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by NOLONGTIN1(m): 12:09am On May 25, 2013
I read some of your comments and i laugh, especially users that defend the treatment of women by muslims/Islam.
You need to live(neighbor) with an Islamic family (doesn't really apply to Yoruba muslims) to understand/feel the pain their women go through(unfortunately mist have come to accept it as the norm). The 'Houseboy' in my house has more rights/freedom compared to their wives, at least he could leave the house, visit or make friends without fear.

I won't say much because i don't feel like getting banned today, but if you really want to know how islam treats their women, watch their followers and stop reading the trash these people post here.

P.S. Yoruba muslims are not considered as such by the Northerner/Arabs..... who is deceiving who? cry
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by TheGeneral1(m): 12:11am On May 25, 2013
wazobia_for_u: I don't actually know what you mean by mistreated and the level of your survey, anyway for the little I know about Islam, Islam never teaches maltreatment of women but rather encourage caring for them, there is part of sharia law that said a woman should not be standing while all men are seated, if its only one seat available then the woman should sit.

Base on the equality between men and women , I think is natural thing and does not peculiar To one religion , both Bible and Quran shows that there is differences among the two ,

Don't generalize every bad deed that someone did to all other members of that religion
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by Mustay(m): 4:30am On May 25, 2013
Ayee Idris: Child's conversation with Allah
Child- who shall I give my love to? respect and honour to? Who should I rever the most after you?

Allah- your mother
Child- who next?
Allah- your mother
Child- who next?
Allah- Your mother.................... And then your father.

Enuff said

I had to correct this 'conversation' especially because of the supposed talk with Allah. That 'conversation' is used as a rhyme but adopted from a hadith so please don't think it was a tete-a-tete -

Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: A person came to Messenger of Allah (PBUH) and asked, "Who among people is most deserving of my fine treatment?''
He (PBUH) said, "Your mother".

He again asked, ``Who next?''
"Your mother", the Prophet (PBUH) replied again.

He asked, "Who next?''
He (the Prophet (PBUH)) said again, "Your mother.''

He again asked, "Then who?'' Thereupon he (PBUH) said,'' Then your father.''

In another narration: "O Messenger of Allah! Who is most deserving of my fine treatment?''

He (PBUH) said, "Your mother, then your mother, then your mother, then your father, then your nearest, then nearest". [Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

www.kalamullah.com/family08.html

RealSleek:
I heard northerners regard yoruba muslims as second class muslims.....dat dey dnt allow dem to lead prayers there....

Not to give credence to hearsay but this answers -ishes best:

shamson:
Blame muslims not Islam

Btw, I pray & I've prayed with brothers from NEWS. Only a brother who is not knowledgeable enough about his religion will rate his brother as 2nd class. Even the Prophet's (PBUH) last sermon speaks against racism! Sefini

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by medeay(m): 7:08am On May 25, 2013
I think it would just be better to quote that part of quran that talk about women being lower than men........ for your information, if there is any religion that gives wömen freedom, its ISLAM

1 Like

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by lakesider(m): 8:01am On May 25, 2013
In the arab world , a female is a property,just like owning a cow. belonging to men
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by tbaba1234: 8:30am On May 25, 2013
Many people are incredibly ignorant. It really baffles me.You say muslim women are oppressed, muslim women say they are not. You say: No, you must be. Panadol for another person's headache.

I am a muslim from south south Nigeria and I have led Arabs in salat, I know of one yoruba imam that is the imam in a major mosque in Abuja. In medina, there is a black American convert to Islam who now teaches at the prophet's mosque. There is no tribe or race in Islam, only God consciousness matters. Only ignorant muslims make tribe an issue, if they exist, you have to blame only them.

If a muslim neighbour oppresses his wife, limit it to that individual. Frankly, I do not care about your neighbour affairs.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by tbaba1234: 8:37am On May 25, 2013
lakesider: In the arab world , a female is a property,just like owning a cow. belonging to men

Dude, shut up. Have you ever been to the arab world? This kind of ignorant talk irritates me.

Travel a little and talk with some information. Over 90% of Arab women from the gulf are educated and apparently far more intelligent than you.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by SHAAWA: 8:43am On May 25, 2013
lakesider: In the arab world , a female is a property,just like owning a cow. belonging to men

really? then why is divorce allowed in islam, if she is a property. You cant be divorced from property. if you married a woman does she belong to you or not but does that make her a property?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by lilbakar(m): 9:57am On May 25, 2013
AS I ALWAYS SAY "ISLAM ITS SELF AS A RELIGION FROM GOD ALMIGHTY IS ABSOLUTELY PERFECT,BUT THE MUSLIMS AREN'T,BECAUSE SOMEONE IS A MUSLIM DOES NOT MEAN ALL HE OR SHE DOES IS WAT THE RELIGION TEACHES,PLEASE WE SHOULD ALL MAKE ENQURIES AND RESEARCHES FROM AUTHENTIC SOURCES WHEN WE ARE NOT CLEAR WITH SOME ISLAMIC INJUCTIONS (ESPECIALLY THE NON-MUSLIMS) YOU DONT JUST START TO TALK ABOUT SOMETHING YOU HAVE NO KNOWLEDGE ABOUT

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by AyeeIdris(f): 11:49am On May 25, 2013
@Mustay, it is not meant to be literal. it is a song/poem I grew up with
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by alhabeeb(m): 11:59am On May 25, 2013
thelonelyshadow: I know that men and women have physical differences, but i'm talking about other stuff.

For example, in some middle eastern countries, women are not allowed to drive cars and also, how come women have to cover their entire body and walk around in the black dresses while men can wear whatever they want?
wot do u mean by black dresses? u mean u av nt notice dem in oda various beautiful colours dresses may b no nid 2 research more. N let mi has u y does most o d western suit ar black colours. ..z a mata o envir't n choices.
Furthermore, women ar v special n fragile in nature n as such dey nid 2 b treated as 1...coverin d body z one o d beauty o dem n it ols protects n olwys kip dem secured against tempted society o ours..n ols prevent dem 4 bin harassed.
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by Mustay(m): 12:22pm On May 25, 2013
Ayee Idris: @Mustay, it is not meant to be literal. it is a song/poem I grew up with

Aiit.

Just correcting the impression that the child had a "conversation" with Al-'Aleem, the All-Knowing.

Hope you understand what am getting at. Thank you.
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by alhabeeb(m): 12:25pm On May 25, 2013
nakash: Thats where Islam fails. A woman cant drive but she is a crown prince pilot. Wahabis are so concerned about upholding sharia that they dont see what secular lifestyles their political leaders lead. Muslims in this islam section have been unable to answer so many questions like why allah needs muslims to fight for him while he is all powerfull to create say be and earth came to be.
wot ar ur questns dt u thnk z un answered. Wot do u mean by sai nt waitin 4 Allah 2 react himsef. After HE created us in d best of form, gave us d brain 2 differentiate gud 4m bad nd enjoined u to alwys call n remind mankind 2 do gud. HE sent us d prophets n divine buk 4 our own guide n guidance. He shldnt we correct d bad n ugly mess we notice in our society agn..or we shld b waitin 4 him 2 come down n do it 4 us..has u proclaimed..
"Afala ta kiluna" dont u av brain!
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by dridowu: 1:06pm On May 25, 2013
hero2947: In Summary, Moslems are too local..

it's just so disgusting.

Abeg, no abuse me o.

winks.
take ds , ur singer dbanj, iyanya, wande coal, rugged man, nollywood, afro candy, psquare , 2face etc , fnd out who dy are and d religion dy claim and most funiest tin is dat dy all start as choir members frm dr diff church
@topic, i blve all religion treat their women peacefully but most of we "HUMAN" does d wrong tin.
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by dridowu: 1:16pm On May 25, 2013
NO LONG TIN: I read some of your comments and i laugh, especially users that defend the treatment of women by muslims/Islam.
You need to live(neighbor) with an Islamic family (doesn't really apply to Yoruba muslims) to understand/feel the pain their women go through(unfortunately mist have come to accept it as the norm). The 'Houseboy' in my house has more rights/freedom compared to their wives, at least he could leave the house, visit or make friends without fear.

I won't say much because i don't feel like getting banned today, but if you really want to know how islam treats their women, watch their followers and stop reading the trash these people post here.

P.S. Yoruba muslims are not considered as such by the Northerner/Arabs..... who is deceiving who? cry
ur neighbour maltreat his wife frm his own ideology not as a REAL MUSLIM. Would u consider Rev King as a true reflection of christian ?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 25, 2013
Please, let me understand this. . . Does Islam really prohibit women from travelling alone? If yes, what happens when she has to go on official trip and there is no male to accompany her?

Is the prohibition on driving Islamic or just the Saudi's culture? I ask because I see muslim women drive in Nigeria.
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by deols(f): 5:33pm On May 25, 2013
bettymafy: Please, let me understand this. . . Does Islam really prohibit women from travelling alone? If yes, what happens when she has to go on official trip and there is no male to accompany her?

Is the prohibition on driving Islamic or just the Saudi's culture? I ask because I see muslim women drive in Nigeria.

Yes. Islam does prohibit women from travelling without a mahram(a male relative whom they can not marry).

The prohibition on driving, to my knowledge has no basis in Islam.
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by tbaba1234: 6:22pm On May 25, 2013
bettymafy: Please, let me understand this. . . Does Islam really prohibit women from travelling alone? If yes, what happens when she has to go on official trip and there is no male to accompany her?

One of the ways, Islam protects the woman is that she has to travel with a male relation. To understand the background of this, imagine the difficulty of travelling across the desert when there were no cars or airplanes, think of th danger of bandits looking for an easy prey. Having a male companion protects her and helps her with difficulties on the way.

Fast forward to the 21st century, travel is a lot easier and danger is probably lesser depending on where you are travelling to.

In the case, where a woman is travelling out of neccessity and no male relation can come along. It is permissible for one to drop her at the airport and another pick her on the other side. Like her husband drops her off and her father picks her up.

There is no rule that stops a woman from driving, this is peculiar to saudi society not a general ruling.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by ikare(m): 6:23pm On May 25, 2013
Atheist:-D:

However Islam is somewhat blurred in many areas and hence the people use Islam to do what they want. So Islam is still responsible to some degree.
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by ikare(m): 6:26pm On May 25, 2013
Atheist:-D:

However Islam is somewhat blurred in many areas and hence the people use Islam to do what they want. So Islam is still responsible to some degree.
d mere fact dat a Muslim behaves badly doesn't mean his religion is bad. as a Muslim,if ur character is questionable,then ur practice of Islam is below par
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by Lalalaila(f): 6:32pm On May 25, 2013
many of the worst people to have ever lived were non Muslims, so does that make their religions etc bad too?

ppl get a grip
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by Nobody: 8:54pm On May 25, 2013
Well, apparently people here don't know the inbreeding problem.

www.europenews.dk/en/node/34368

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures That Excite Muslims About Ramadan / Dealing With The Temptation To Show Off / Say No To Boy/girl Friend. Go Marry!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.