Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,740 members, 7,824,134 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:01 AM

Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? (17882 Views)

What are the Rewards For Muslim Women In Paradise? / Why Are Muslim Imams Not Buying Private Jets? / Why Are Muslim Suffering? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by thelonelyshadow: 4:15pm On May 18, 2013
I am not a Muslim and i am not going to make any assumptions here, i just want to learn about the Muslim culture. I have seen how Muslim women have been treated as second rate people and are considered to be lower than men. Is this because the Quran says that women are lower than men or is it some kind of middle eastern culture that has influenced Islamic teachings?

For any Muslims out there, let me know what you think, do you think that men and women are equal or that men are better than women? Why?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by wazobiaforu(m): 5:20pm On May 18, 2013
I don't actually know what you mean by mistreated and the level of your survey, anyway for the little I know about Islam, Islam never teaches maltreatment of women but rather encourage caring for them, there is part of sharia law that said a woman should not be standing while all men are seated, if its only one seat available then the woman should sit.

Base on the equality between men and women , I think is natural thing and does not peculiar To one religion , both Bible and Quran shows that there is differences among the two ,

Don't generalize every bad deed that someone did to all other members of that religion

22 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by thelonelyshadow: 7:09pm On May 18, 2013
I know that men and women have physical differences, but i'm talking about other stuff.

For example, in some middle eastern countries, women are not allowed to drive cars and also, how come women have to cover their entire body and walk around in the black dresses while men can wear whatever they want?

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by wazobiaforu(m): 6:45am On May 19, 2013
thelonelyshadow: I know that men and women have physical differences, but i'm talking about other stuff.

For example, in some middle eastern countries, women are not allowed to drive cars and also, how come women have to cover their entire body and walk around in the black dresses while men can wear whatever they want?

Islam see women as fragile or flexible that have to be pamper and treat with care that is why some Muslim don't allow their wife to work or do heavy job but this is not a must for all Muslims, allowing women to drive a car is not a form of bad treatment, my sister love to drive and her husband never allowed her and they are good Christians, does that mean she is in cage?

Can you mention two or three countries that their country rules forbid women from driving, I have been fortunate to be in some Muslim dominated countries and women drives.

Concerning cloths, almost all women body is regard as unclothedness because almost all part of their body seduce men, be sincere with yourself if you see the laps of a guy and a girl what come to your mind? For me I feel seduced seeing fresh and clean nails only and that is one of my priority choosing lady.

Its not compulsory for all Muslim women to wear what you are saying but is compulsory for them to dress decent just like the way Bible portray Mary the mother of Jesus.

Christians should not be having problem with the dressing of so.e Muslim ladies when they cover their body, if you call Mary the mother of Jesus, the cherish,adorable,icon,mentor and the best among women but you don't see anything good in people that dress like her.

Maybe you should check the way some catholic dress.

52 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by wazobiaforu(m): 6:55am On May 19, 2013
kambo: werever islam is prevalent, markd female degradation can b oservd..ths has been alleviated a wee bit where western influence permeates but in coutries overshadwed by islam - its mrkd.

What kind of degredation and mention two or three countries. Am very sure you a born Christian and you never reason to learn about other religion, just like the way people are born into Yoruba or Igbo family and never see anything good in the Hausas, what if they were born as Hausa

Only God know why he allow many religion just like we have many languages and color, so stop been a BH by mouth ..... Nobody can fight for God

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by odumson: 10:09am On May 19, 2013
Muslim women are in no way mistreated based on the sayings of Allah in His revealed Book(Qur'an). It is only some few ignorant Muslims who combine culture and religion that mistreat women and as such can not be regarded as Islam that mistreats women.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by wazobiaforu(m): 10:59am On May 19, 2013
kambo:
correction. God isnt d author of Religion.
Religion r satan's invention to lure man to hell while keepg them spiritually deluded.
Countries u say? Werever islam has a strng presence. Islam is controllg . Usg threats of death , terror and fear to extract obedience...
U cant hav any religion wt ths ideology, evangelism by terror and dread, hav sterlg human rights practces among its adherents.
Or u wanna ask me where islam has been dreadful?

Go back to bed nd take your drugs

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by nakash: 11:09am On May 19, 2013
In Saudi arabia the crown prince has a female pilot. Never mind that she has to be driven to the airport so she can pilot her plane since women in saudia cant drive. Talk of primitivity and Islam beats every other system hands down.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by AtheistD(m): 11:27am On May 19, 2013
nakash: In Saudi arabia the crown prince has a female pilot. Never mind that she has to be driven to the airport so she can pilot her plane since women in saudia cant drive. Talk of primitivity and Islam beats every other system hands down.

She cant drive but she can pilot a plane?

So what about this scenario? A woman is in the car with her husband (who is driving) and suddenly he has a stroke or heart attack, she has to take over the wheel and drive him to the hospital right? Surely she cant be arrested for that? grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by wiegraf: 12:35pm On May 19, 2013
Atheist:-D:

She cant drive but she can pilot a plane?

So what about this scenario? A woman is in the car with her husband (who is driving) and suddenly he has a stroke or heart attack, she has to take over the wheel and drive him to the hospital right? Surely she cant be arrested for that? grin

I was just reading a story about Ribery and some monumental hypocrisy concerning alcohol (though this story is probably bogus). Anyways, it reminds of other simple things, like I know many muslims who would never touch alcohol. No, never, that's haram. Then they do some holier-than-thou once in a while. This same people have no problems abusing (with particular relish) 'roche', 'd5', 'wiwi' (now 'chunk'), crack cocaine (not sure what it's called locally in that case), etc etc.

JWs do not endorse receiving blood, even while someone dies a perfectly avoidable, slow, torturous death. Then of course there are xtian scientists as well. I wouldn't put it beyond muslims to top that.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by nakash: 12:43pm On May 19, 2013
Thats where Islam fails. A woman cant drive but she is a crown prince pilot. Wahabis are so concerned about upholding sharia that they dont see what secular lifestyles their political leaders lead. Muslims in this islam section have been unable to answer so many questions like why allah needs muslims to fight for him while he is all powerfull to create say be and earth came to be.
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by vedaxcool(m): 12:39pm On May 21, 2013
Women and men are equal in the sight of God, in Islam women and men get the same reward from God if they commit are act of goodness, they are rewarded equally, a prophetic saying goes, if you train a male u have only trained one person but if you train a female you have trained a nation! Underscoring the importance of women in nation building! Furthermore the most important person in a man world and who deserves the highest respect from any man living is his mother, a morther must be given three times the respect a father is due! The prophet pbuh said the best amongst you is he who is best to his wife, . . ., in Islam it is forbidden to attack women, children and the old during a state of war, . . . , there are so many rights that came with islam;

1. A woman have right to education

2. A woman have right to earn a living

3. A woman have rights to inherit from her father, husband,brothers etc a right which english women only started enjoying from the 1800s

4. Rights to marry a man of her choosing, the prophet said any marriage in which the woman's consent was not taken is automatically nullified!

Etc

A woman don't have the following rights;

1. Right to flirt around nope God forbid

2. Rights to that generally go against laws God made for mankind! Etc

See how women are enjoying the rights the west has bestowed upon them!

www.nairaland.com/1127342/women-west-happy-pt-1

m.aljazeera.com/se/2011916112412992221

Happy reading!

10 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by thelonelyshadow: 4:35pm On May 21, 2013
vedaxcool: Women and men are equal in the sight of God, in Islam women and men get the same reward from God if they commit are act of goodness, they are rewarded equally, a prophetic saying goes, if you train a male u have only trained one person but if you train a female you have trained a nation! Underscoring the importance of women in nation building! Furthermore the most important person in a man world and who deserves the highest respect from any man living is his mother, a morther must be given three times the respect a father is due! The prophet pbuh said the best amongst you is he who is best to his wife, . . ., in Islam it is forbidden to attack women, children and the old during a state of war, . . . , there are so many rights that came with islam;

1. A woman have right to education

2. A woman have right to earn a living

3. A woman have rights to inherit from her father, husband,brothers etc a right which english women only started enjoying from the 1800s

4. Rights to marry a man of her choosing, the prophet said any marriage in which the woman's consent was not taken is automatically nullified!

Etc

A woman don't have the following rights;

1. Right to flirt around nope God forbid

2. Rights to that generally go against laws God made for mankind! Etc

See how women are enjoying the rights the west has bestowed upon them!

www.nairaland.com/1127342/women-west-happy-pt-1

m.aljazeera.com/se/2011916112412992221

Happy reading!

So, from what i have read, the problem is not islam in general, it is the culture of the people.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by AtheistD(m): 4:00pm On May 23, 2013
thelonelyshadow:

So, from what i have read, the problem is not islam in general, it is the culture of the people.

However Islam is somewhat blurred in many areas and hence the people use Islam to do what they want. So Islam is still responsible to some degree.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by vedaxcool(m): 7:35pm On May 23, 2013
thelonelyshadow:

True, religion seeks to make people better than they are by providing guidelines they can adopt in maintaining the straight path, but life is a struggle between good and evil, and some times despite Islam providing these guidelines to people, they eventually fall below the standards and do evil deeds! And from the two links I gave, the problem of mal treating women is a global issue which despite the many attempts in finding a lasting solution, have continued unabated! Hopefully, it will sink in one day, people generally have to raise their kids to hold certain ideals . . .
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by deols(f): 7:41am On May 24, 2013
The answer is contextual.

There are instances where a woman cannot play the same role as a man and there are others where they are equals.

In the home, the man is the head but that doesn't take a woman's individuality away from her. She can make money, make decisions pertaining to her, seek divorce and do a lot within the confines of Islam.

In spirituality, each is judged according to their deeds.

A woman has the bigger right of custody to their children at very young ages and even can demand pay for her services in cases of divorce.

You would need to give it a holistic approach to see the wisdom behind the rules guiding Islamic principles.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by DJDOLA(m): 3:52pm On May 24, 2013
I consult my warrior prayer...we pray over it
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by idris4r83(m): 3:52pm On May 24, 2013
Let me book a space before I compose my reply
Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by Nobody: 3:57pm On May 24, 2013
And Christian/other women are not?

LOL!!

1 Like

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by Ufosboy1: 4:01pm On May 24, 2013
Even in the bible men are superior

1 Like

Re: Why Are Muslim Women Mistreated So Much? by tbaba1234: 4:05pm On May 24, 2013
Did muslim women come to complain to you?
If a muslim woman started this topic, it would make sense.

Why is this on the front page, anyway?
What exactly does the op know about women in Islam

Islam is not a religious of equality, it is one of Justice. Men and women have different roles to play in a muslim home.

Do you know that muslim women have had the right for Inheritance for almost 1500 years, a right that western women just had a century ago?

Do you know that whatever a woman earns from work or inheritance belongs only to her and she has the discretion to spend it as she deems fit?

Do you know that a man has the financial obligation to spend for his home regardless of how much is wife is worth? She can only contribute to the home at her discretion.

Do you also know that a man is responsible for his mother and sisters if they are unmaried?

Do you notthink it is justice for a person with the greater responsibility to get the greater share?

Again, it is not equality, it is Justice

Are men and women equal? The honest answer is no, 1=1 is equality. What is needed between men and women is justice and equity not equality.

In a business contract,two women witnesses were needed for one. wow, what injustice? If you bothered to do a little historical research, you will find out that not many women in Arabia were involved in business and as such many did not know some things in business. Therefore, a second woman is used in case one slips up.

It makes perfect sense as a person who is not involved in business is not expected to get all the fine print. A woman with an MBA today would be more than qualified to be a witness.

Justice not equality ;

A woman in Islam has a marriage contract in which she states what she expects her husband to do for her, if the husband breaches the contract, those are grounds for divorce. She does have the right to divorce unlike in some other faiths where she has to endure hardships.

Some faiths were still debating whether a woman had a soul at this point.

In Medieval times, Christian scholars criticised Islam for giving Women too much freedom - now they say Islam doesn't give them enough.In Victorian times, Muslims were seen as licentious sex-mad hedonists; now we're seen as self-repressed conservatives. In each time, the criticism against Islam was viewed as rational.

‎"At a time when feudal Europe was riddled with hierarchy, Islam was presented as an anarchic religion that gave too much respect and freedom to menials, such as slaves and women" Karen Armstrong - Historian

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Pictures That Excite Muslims About Ramadan / Dealing With The Temptation To Show Off / Say No To Boy/girl Friend. Go Marry!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.