Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,147 members, 7,818,446 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

On Subsidy Reinvestment And Empowerment Programe In Okene Local Government Area - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On Subsidy Reinvestment And Empowerment Programe In Okene Local Government Area (941 Views)

No Going Back On Subsidy Removal - FG / 2015 Budget: Reps Query Illegal N222b On Subsidy / Subsidy 101: Q &A On Subsidy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On Subsidy Reinvestment And Empowerment Programe In Okene Local Government Area by Afristone(m): 11:41am On May 19, 2013
SURE-P IS THERE ANY HOPE FOR OKENE, KOGI AND NIGERIA THROUGH THE EYE OF A BELIEVER IN THE NIGERIAN PROJECT. PART I.
I am a Nigerian male, a believer in the Nigerian Project, I am also a card carrying member of the PDP since 1998, but because of my Nigerian believes I did not vote the previous PDP administration and the present administration of GEJ, I gave my vote to my concience and damn the consequence as in the words of our present president “I DONT GIVE A DAMN!” but in my own case, this I said with regards to whether my candidate wins or not but to ensure that my civic right to the Nigerian project based on my personal believes and democratic ethos are met.
This article as titled SURE-P is there any hope for Okene, Kogi and Nigeria through my eyes as I was defined above was born out of my keen interest since the January 1st 2011, petroleum subsidy removal, demonstrations and the various events that has evolved and revolved around the same issues, it is therefore note worthy to state that I personaly participated in the demonstration in Kano in my own way when Comrade Adamu Yinusa Danguguwa of the Nigerian Labour Congress, Supported by the ASSU Bayero University, Kano called for demonstrations against the removal of the subsidy; then armed with my Sony mini DV Camera I also went round in solidarity to our common deprivation.
I remember having a heated argument then with a Law Student who was in support of the Complete fuel subsidy removal in Person of Nasiru Iyanda Abdullhakeem presently at the Bagauda Law School he was of the opinion that total fuel subsidy removal and its implementation in the SURE-P Programme will bring about massive infrastructural development, I had the opinion as profesed by Mr. Chima Nnaji recently in February this year then, I made it clear to him that it was only during the regime of Late Gen. Abacha that we realised any tangible development from subsidy removal which was placed in the hands of a credible personality in the institution of Petroleum Trust Fund and since then nothing has worked, it was after that, that AGO popularly known as diesel was completely deregulated leading to skyrocketted transport fare in haullage of goods and making life difficult for the populace, I remeber I was only able to bring him near my views when I made it known to him that now that the president has eventualy reviewed the subsidy removal to partial removal; that the Minister for Information has just said the Administration will not be able to meet up with its promise on SURE-P.
The chairman of the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme, in february 2013, Mr. Christopher Kolade revealed that the SURE-P initiative is an intervention device which the Federal Government has employed in catalyzing some of its special projects in need of funds.
While shedding light on the operations of the SURE-P committee, Mr. Kolade cleared the air on the many controversies and misconceptions shrouding the activities of the committee.
The SURE-P “is actually an intervention device; it’s not part of the regular budget. It’s to intervene in a way that produces specific value.” This he said on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily.
He also explained that the SURE-P which is funded with about 42% of the subsidy removal is to help the people believe in the Federal Government. At his own level of the SURE-P, while the remaining goes to the states and local government as he said for the past year it was estimated at over N400 billion was saved from the partial removal in which N180 billion was set aside in a dedicated account for SURE-P at the Central Bank of Nigeria while the remaining goes to the States and Local governments.
Recently, this writer saw an advert in the daily trust news paper of Monday, April 15, 2013, by the Kogi State Government of Nigeria Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs Lokoja on INVITATION TO TENDER FOR SURE-P PROJECTS. In the advert it was stated that the Local Government Areas of Kogi State have received allocation of funds from the Subsidy Re-investment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P) as part of the allocation from the Federation Accounts Allocation Committee (FAAC), to mitigate the effects of partial removal of subsidy on petroleum products.
It further stated that “in a deliberate effort to ensure prudent utilisation of the fund and to achieve faithful delivery of projects under the programme, the Local Government of Kogi State have appraised and selected projects of high social and community values that would socially transform and structurally support the livelyhood of the rural populace in the state, it was concluded that in furtherance of these objectives, interested competent contractors are invited for the project listed below:
I then perused it and discovered that all the 21 Local Government Areas in the state were covered with various projects, it was at this point that I took the decision to participate and see whether it will be business as usual so I armed my self with the requirements and then moved to my home Local Government Area to participate in the SURE-P project, when I got to the Secretariat I was discouraged by some people I talked to they said that I should forget it, it is a waste of my time and resouces they said, but they never new I had a mission so I told them not to worry that it is a sacrifice I am willing to make and so I registered with the LGA’s tenders board and also paid for a lot in the SURE-P project advertised, I later went to the Works department collected the tender documents filled it and submitted it with the neccessary documents the next day and moved back to my base waiting for further notice, which later came notifying me of postponement in the Bid date due to Local Government Elections to be held.
Another notice came informing me that the bid will be opened at the state capital tenders board on 14, May 2013, I set out on 13 of May 2013 to Lokoja due to network hasles my phone was off throughout my journey as a result they could not reach me on 13th, it was on 14th morning the T.O. was able to reach and informed me that he has been directed to inform us that it has been changed to each Local Goverment Areas again and that sitting commenses by 12:00 noon and the bids is to take place by 1:00 pm, I did not hesistated I took my bag and also started another trip to Okene from Lokoja immediately as I have a date with destiny.
As at 11:30am people have started gathering at the venue which was the Councils Chambers of the Okene Local Government Area, Engineer Samuel Akku the Head Of Department of works made an anouncement that we were expecting representatives of the SURE-P Committee from the State Capital to observe the bidding that as soon as they come in the Tender box which was under lock and nails would be opened and the bidding will commence. Few minutes after 1.00 pm our expected guests came in and the MC set in motion by Calling the HOD Education of the LGA who is also a member of the LGA tenders board to say the opening prayers, after which the HOD works who introduced himself as standing for the DLG who is the Chairman of the LGA tenders board and is on official duty to the Federal Capiatal Teritory is in the position of acting chairman of the board and the host of the bid, he then introduced the SURE-P representatives who was Engineer (Mrs.) Maryam Bello and her secretary he said he was delighted to have met her recently and discorvered that she was a proffesional colleague but with the ministry of women affair and questioned why an Engineer in the ministry for women affairs? she responded that her talent was discorvered by the wife of a one time Governor Bzigu Afakriye of the state and invited her to work with her and long after that she continued to be there.
When this woman Engineer took the microphone to address the gathering, first she appologised for been a little late and then did not only confirmed what the HOD earlier mentioned about her, she further proved her desterity and articulation and the readiness to see that things are done the right way, she took us down memory lane on the how and why? of the SURE-P, I remeber her using the same words that Christopher Kolade used in his interview with Channels Tv in which he said “IT WILL NOT BE BUSINESS AS USUAL” she further added that the era of abandoned project is over and that they will monitor the projects to the letter.
The Bid started in the presence of the representaives of the securirty agencies, the box was opened in the presence of the contractors presented by the Technical Crew of the Works Department whom were instructed by the HOD to arrange them based on the lot written on them, while the arrangement was going on the HOD observed that the envelopes were been arranged on the top of the tables in front of some of the contractors he immediately ask for the mic and gave instruction that the tender envelopes be removed and placed on the ground; that was done immediately before the bids were opened envelopes after envelopes and tender contractors’ names and tender figures registered for each lot in sheets provided by the LGA tenders board officials, security agencies present and contractors on sit.
So far, all these proccesses seems to be transparent and in accordance to the rule of the book, as we awaited the selection of the successful contractors based on merits and not on Business As Usual , so that in the long run like in the words of the contractor selected to represent the contractors in giving a closing remarks which he said that “the money taking from us by the Federal Government is coming back to us to be re-invested in our community and from this it means the government has fulfiled its own part of the bagain of partial removal of the subsidy and on the part of the contractors we will not only be doing injustice to our self but to our generation yet to be born if we refuse to adhere to the terms and condition of the contracts in executing them when we are priviledged to be among the awardees”; at this juncture, it has also become imperative after my observation of apparent transparency and due process in this earlier aspect by the LGA administrators that they will maintain this atitude and decorum in the final and hidden proceess of selection of Contractors if the aim of the SURE-P as intended by the GEJ administration for Okenites, Kogites and Nigerians in general must be realised in its true essence and not in the words of Barrister Chima Nnaji as quoted below:
A lawyer and public affairs analyst, Chima Nnaji on Tuesday february 05, 2013 described the Subsidy Reinvestment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P) document as an ordinary essay that cannot impact the socioeconomic welfare of Nigerians.
Speaking as a guest on Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, Mr Nnaji said though the programme was intended to use the fund saved from the partial removal of fuel subsidy for the development of Infrastructure and the empowerment of Nigerians, these critical areas are still worse off.
He further stated, SURE-P is a beautiful document. But as he always said, just like Nigerian budgets, not necessarily of this government, Nigerian budget has been essay writing.
The analyst said when it comes to the implementation stage; the officials would often make excuses why certain projects are not feasible.
He continued, “The implementers will always tell you that in other climes this is what is done. We are too others directed. We do not have our own strategic thinking. I have always insisted that people in government must be strategic thinkers not just doers.
“This SURE-P from the document perspective is a beautiful write up. It is an essay if you want me to put it that way,” Mr Nnaji said.
Finally, I want to ask the Federal SURE-P under the able Chairmanship of Mr. Chris Kolade what is in federal SURE-P for our unemployed army of youths as well as the women of Okene, Kogi and as a Kogite I want to seize this opportunity to tell our Governor that two years into this administration we are yet to feel the impact of the State Government anywhere in state so I on behalf of every Kogite plead with Him to do something that he will be remembered for in the history of the state.

(1) (Reply)

We Begged Oshiomhole To Join PDP / Hold Fg Responsible For ASUU Strike-cpc / "Do not blame me for rivers crisis"-jonathan warns from china

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.