Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:45 PM

My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From - Jobs/Vacancies (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From (87343 Views)

What Job Seeker Needs To Learn From Jobberman Recent Report / 10 Sticky Job Interview Situations And How To Handle Them / Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by charloski(m): 1:39pm On Jul 09, 2013
What a Nice thread...... I really learn a lot...... One day i will also write my successful interview story also by God's Grace.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Toble: 3:55pm On Jul 09, 2013
What a nice post really learnt from it....couldn't believe this has been since 2008, just viewing it and I really say thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences...

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by koladecollins(m): 5:55pm On Jul 09, 2013
Hello peeps! Does anyone have any personal information or experience about agro traders limited located in Akure, Ondo State. Got an invite for an interview and couldn't really get much from their website. please treat as urgent.

Thanks.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by KingsleyEze1(m): 1:16pm On Jul 10, 2013
koladecollins: Hello peeps! Does anyone have any personal information or experience about agro traders limited located in Akure, Ondo State. Got an invite for an interview and couldn't really get much from their website. please treat as urgent.

Thanks.
Hi pal, please don't derail this thread. Peradventure you didn't notice, the title says: "MY EMBARRASSING INTERVIEW SITUATIONS YOU NEED TO LEARN FROM."
Kindly make a search for a thread related to your enquiry. Wish you the best in your quest. Thanks.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 10, 2014
jjjjjj
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by MissJennifer(f): 5:10pm On Aug 10, 2014
Read this thread from start to finish,laughed so hard I now have a headache, learnt sooo much
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by KillerBeauty(f): 7:58pm On Aug 10, 2014
BEST THREAD EVER
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 11:35am On Aug 11, 2014
timyoghurt: I had an interview some days ago which was really went on well from the start until we got to the 'how much do you want as salary' question and I said an amount of 400% increase of my present salary and the interviewer asked me to introduce her to such institutions that pay such if I eventually see one

when i got out I was shocked at her response and I was embarrassed at myself coz the amount I mentioned was high compared to my present income
why I did that was because I was tired of changing jobs so I just wanted a job that could give me what I wanted.
grin grin grin grin grin

The interviewer too dey find job, lol....guess you mentioned an outrageous amount
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by sputos(m): 7:38pm On Aug 12, 2014
My 1st case still hunts me till date. I was invited for an interview 6days to the end of my NYSC after I passed a test attended by over 9000applicants. I waited for my turn on the interview day for over 9hours. I was called in few minutes to 7pm and the interviewers apologised for the delay yet told me good things don't come easy. On looking at my CV and seeing I'm yet to finish service one of them just said "U are not qualified for this job". It was like someone ringing a bell on my head. I tried to explain to them and they decided to proceed further . They asked questions which I answered and they asked 1 simple question I could not answer. List the accounting principles you know. Omo, My head went blank.........They asked other questions which I still answered and they still went back to that same Accounting priciples.....Omo my head no gree give me response oh!
I just heard "We will get back to you". Kai! My dreams to be a Diamond Bank Staff immediately after service died on d spot....Kai
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by chibuking1(m): 12:50pm On Aug 13, 2014
Hehehe.... I went for an interview , wer i was asked d longest distanc have driven, i lied ....lagos to ibadan, .....na im dey ask me....,wats d distance......na im i talk 50km(somtn wey pple wey no dey drive sabi say e pass 100km)....chei!... D interviewer giv me second look grin , come ask me @ wat speed do i driv, make im dey sure say i sabi werin b speedomerer, i tell am 110km/h. On hiways.. Im calm down!...... Well , God stil dey sha!,...lesson.. Neva lie on somtn u cant figure out in 2secs grin

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 1:44pm On Aug 13, 2014
chibuking1: Hehehe.... I went for an interview , wer i was asked d longest distanc have driven, i lied ....lagos to ibadan, .....na im dey ask me....,wats d distance......na im i talk 50km(somtn wey pple wey no dey drive sabi say e pass 100km)....chei!... D interviewer giv me second look grin , come ask me @ wat speed do i driv, make im dey sure say i sabi werin b speedomerer, i tell am 110km/h. On hiways.. Im calm down!...... Well , God stil dey sha!,...lesson.. Neva lie on somtn u cant figure out in 2secs grin

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Akanigwo: 5:42pm On Aug 13, 2014
i actually recommend these posts of urs. it has served as an eye opener. i never knew some of these things that u guys just talked about. i must say am happy to know that, especially that of eye contact. i think i really have problem with that, i guess i will have to work on that
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by mxchly(m): 7:31pm On Aug 13, 2014
same whole thing happened to me...chai...but dia'riz God..KPMG angry
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by edrys(m): 7:52pm On Aug 13, 2014
All Izz Well
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Daluuzor(m): 1:01am On Aug 14, 2014
timyoghurt: I had an interview some days ago which was really went on well from the start until we got to the 'how much do you want as salary' question and I said an amount of 400% increase of my present salary and the interviewer asked me to introduce her to such institutions that pay such if I eventually see one

when i got out I was shocked at her response and I was embarrassed at myself coz the amount I mentioned was high compared to my present income
why I did that was because I was tired of changing jobs so I just wanted a job that could give me what I wanted.
Oju kokoro, chai!! daris god oo
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by ak475: 2:26pm On Aug 05, 2015
this thread must not die...just too funny
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by shalom4eva(m): 4:50pm On Aug 05, 2015
mine was 3yrs ago after passin thru 3stages of writen tests nd one stage of practical test at nestle, i was cald for d final interview bt because d text came jst a day bfore d interview nd i was very busy dt day, i dint review my cv, ofcourse it was a job for ond holders bt i hv hnd. bt because i had an edited cv at home i dint bother to review of print a new one. on dat fateful day i was d first petson to b cald nd lo nd bhold i was jst answerin d questions thrown at me by a panel of 5. where yawa gas was wen one of dem discovered i typed hnd at d bottom of my name, dis i neva knew until he told me nd dt was all. d guy sent me out like a slave. so bfore u attend an interview try crosscheckin ur cv nd oda document well.hv learnt my lesson.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by bukkylink(f): 7:23pm On Aug 06, 2015
Ok, so I just graduated from school and told a couple of friends that I needed a job, one Saturday morning, a friend called me that her former boss who was starting his own company will be interviewing some applicant by 10am that same day at Ikeja. I was so unprepared I don't have a single cooperate wear cos all my cloth were skimpy undergraduate wears, the closest to it was a secondhand slim-fitted shirt and a very tight black trouser I wore on campus, unfortunately no light to Iron it and time was against me but I managed to look my best in it, together with my 3years old rugged shoe which has a bad heel that announced every step I take due to the protruding iron from it.
I manage to get there an hour late, upon entering the office I was shocked to see about 50 applicants all dressed in neatly ironed suits and perfectly polished shoes. I stood at the entrance for almost a minute with so many thought in my head am I at the right place? Should I just go back home? What post am I even applying for? I went out to check the address just to be sure I'm at the right place then went back in, looked for a place to sit beside a lady who was not seriously dressed like the others and waited for my turn, luckily, the lady asked if I've written my name I said no and she signaled the beautiful secretary dressed in a smart Red suit skirt she wrote my name, asked for my CV and application letter, that was when I realised I don't have an application letter then she ask which position did I apply for? Again, I don't know, she said how did I hear about the interview I told her the truth that a friend referred me to one of their director so she advised me to call the friend to notify the director that I'm around which she did. All the while all attention was on me I went back to my seat asked the lady beside me how she got to know about the interview and she told me their was a full page advert on Guardian NP!!! I asked her what position she applied for and she said cleaner/office assistance at that moment I realised how bad my dressing was. Eventually I was called in and my heartbeat increased, I was sweating like I just finished a marathon. As I was about to open the door to the conference room, I was lost in thought that I dint know when I did the sign of the cross 3 times and all the other applicants started laughing at me. Upon entering the conference room, seated were six richly looking men in their 50s at that moment I forgot everything I had rehearsed all I could think of is I can't impress these men, the A/C suddenly became too cold for me I started shivering and my palms were all wet I resolve to do my best and leave. I gave them my application letter for marketing position and my CV the MD asked a simple question have you market anything b4? I innocently answered 'yes I used to market underwear when I was in school' then he asked me do you know what we do here? Also, I said you represent a popular international manufacturer of electronics brand' then he asked apart from underwear what else have you sold? I told him I helped my aunty to sell cloth at Idumota, he laughed, looked at my CV then asked me how much am I expecting as salary and I felt not to scare them away so I asked for a very cheap amount. At last they asked me to wait outside. On getting back to the waiting room all other applicant were surprise to see me wait when those that appear better than I am had left. To cut a very long story short I was employed together with some other brilliant, good looking and experienced applicants. That was my fist Job in 2005

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by cashoggy(f): 12:31pm On Feb 17, 2016
@bukkylink, wonderful. I admire your ingenuity. Glad you got the job despite your awkwardness and shortcomings. Thumb up.

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by bukkylink(f): 1:22pm On Aug 09, 2016
Thank you
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by bukkylink(f): 8:53pm On Aug 15, 2017
Let us keep this thread alive
bukkylink:
Ok, so I just graduated from school and told a couple of friends that I needed a job, one Saturday morning, a friend called me that her former boss who was starting his own company will be interviewing some applicant by 10am that same day at Ikeja. I was so unprepared I don't have a single cooperate wear cos all my cloth were skimpy undergraduate wears, the closest to it was a secondhand slim-fitted shirt and a very tight black trouser I wore on campus, unfortunately no light to Iron it and time was against me but I managed to look my best in it, together with my 3years old rugged shoe which has a bad heel that announced every step I take due to the protruding iron from it.
I manage to get there an hour late, upon entering the office I was shocked to see about 50 applicants all dressed in neatly ironed suits and perfectly polished shoes. I stood at the entrance for almost a minute with so many thought in my head am I at the right place? Should I just go back home? What post am I even applying for? I went out to check the address just to be sure I'm at the right place then went back in, looked for a place to sit beside a lady who was not seriously dressed like the others and waited for my turn, luckily, the lady asked if I've written my name I said no and she signaled the beautiful secretary dressed in a smart Red suit skirt she wrote my name, asked for my CV and application letter, that was when I realised I don't have an application letter then she ask which position did I apply for? Again, I don't know, she said how did I hear about the interview I told her the truth that a friend referred me to one of their director so she advised me to call the friend to notify the director that I'm around which she did. All the while all attention was on me I went back to my seat asked the lady beside me how she got to know about the interview and she told me their was a full page advert on Guardian NP!!! I asked her what position she applied for and she said cleaner/office assistance at that moment I realised how bad my dressing was. Eventually I was called in and my heartbeat increased, I was sweating like I just finished a marathon. As I was about to open the door to the conference room, I was lost in thought that I dint know when I did the sign of the cross 3 times and all the other applicants started laughing at me. Upon entering the conference room, seated were six richly looking men in their 50s at that moment I forgot everything I had rehearsed all I could think of is I can't impress these men, the A/C suddenly became too cold for me I started shivering and my palms were all wet I resolve to do my best and leave. I gave them my application letter for marketing position and my CV the MD asked a simple question have you market anything b4? I innocently answered 'yes I used to market underwear when I was in school' then he asked me do you know what we do here? Also, I said you represent a popular international manufacturer of electronics brand' then he asked apart from underwear what else have you sold? I told him I helped my aunty to sell cloth at Idumota, he laughed, looked at my CV then asked me how much am I expecting as salary and I felt not to scare them away so I asked for a very cheap amount. At last they asked me to wait outside. On getting back to the waiting room all other applicant were surprise to see me wait when those that appear better than I am had left. To cut a very long story short I was employed together with some other brilliant, good looking and experienced applicants. That was my fist Job in 2005
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by andersonho: 8:56pm On Aug 15, 2017
Pls guys how true is this job interview from myjoy food industry?

Sequel to ur application in My Joy Food Ind Ltd, we are happy to invite u for an interview tomorrow Wed. 16th August 2017 @GISS Ltd, Almost Opposite Chicken Republic, Ojodu Berger, Lagos at 11am prompt. Kindly come with ur CV and other credentials. HR Dept.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Shamoo100(m): 12:49am On Jan 12, 2018
I use to be ashame of talking about them, i guess am talking about them because am some steps up the ladder now.

The first was immediately after my service year it was a big one the pay figure (like i gathered)  was  mouth watering and i was already calculating what i will do with the money and at that time i needed money bad.
on the D-day i was ask to read a paragraph from a book and yours truly was shaking all over like a leave on water it was so embarrassing, it never happened to me before. Believe me, am  very bold and good with presentations.

The cause
My head was calculating the pay and suddenly a fear of what will happen if i don't get the job gripped me

Lessons
1. Never count your chicks before they harsh
2. Go to the interview with a sport mind set  i.e you either win or loss
3. Don't  place all your value on the monetary aspect alone

My second experience was with a bank, i was just not prepared. I got the invitation  a day before the interview
and a dress code was specified.  I went in an oversized suit the top different from the bottom. The first thing the interviewer asked me was if am for the interview embarassed 

Lessons
1. Always be prepared, do all you can and leave the rest to God
2. Get all the tips on dress code here.
Just two days ago ..fresh engineering graduate(my self) couldnt solve a trigonometry qstn..have never been confused in my life..the chinese guy was like 'you go small school, you go!'..i cant even come to terms with how i failed thatd qstn..i solved that qstn overe 30 times in ,y head since then..i dnt knw how to get over the dissapointment..i cant even look at myself on the mirror without feeling ashamed i swr! I NEED TIPs on how to move on pls!!
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by qeemus: 9:36am On Jan 12, 2018
Nice thread
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by kingsleyugo41(m): 8:29pm On Jan 13, 2018
I use to be ashame of talking about them, i guess am talking about them because am some steps up the ladder now.

The first was immediately after my service year it was a big one the pay figure (like i gathered)  was  mouth watering and i was already calculating what i will do with the money and at that time i needed money bad.
on the D-day i was ask to read a paragraph from a book and yours truly was shaking all over like a leave on water it was so embarrassing, it never happened to me before. Believe me, am  very bold and good with presentations.

The cause
My head was calculating the pay and suddenly a fear of what will happen if i don't get the job gripped me

Lessons
1. Never count your chicks before they harsh
2. Go to the interview with a sport mind set  i.e you either win or loss
3. Don't  place all your value on the monetary aspect alone

My second experience was with a bank, i was just not prepared. I got the invitation  a day before the interview
and a dress code was specified.  I went in an oversized suit the top different from the bottom. The first thing the interviewer asked me was if am for the interview embarassed 

Lessons
1. Always be prepared, do all you can and leave the rest to God
2. Get all the tips on dress code here.
laugh wan kill me oo
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by EbonyQueen001(f): 9:09am On Apr 10, 2018
Wow! 10 years old thread and still very relevant.
I love this

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Lefty500: 11:49am On Apr 10, 2018
Wow, I'm very impressed, I read this thread from the beginning to the end. Though it's hilarious, but it's a wake up call for newbie like me. But the dressing part got me confused, some said wear suit, and some didn't, and still got the job.

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by MStar09: 12:27pm On Apr 12, 2019
This thread is so relevant!! I have learnt so much.

I have also laughed and laughed grin

Let the stories continue please.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Ayo199(m): 11:15am On May 13, 2019
lalasticlala
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 1:11pm On May 13, 2019
A 2008 TOPIC ON FRONT PAGE??WHAT IS WRONG WITH NAIRALAND? angry
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by AllenSpencer: 1:12pm On May 13, 2019
You did not put charms in your pocket before the interview

That's why.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 13, 2019
LiveByNight:
A 2008 TOPIC ON FRONT PAGE??WHAT IS WRONG WITH NAIRALAND? angry

The person wey start the thread sef don born like 5 pikin wey don born like 10 pikin wey don dey do wedding prep....
These guys wey dey nairaland far back as at 2008 when na only facebook and hi5 i sabi that time na the real MVP's..

seun na your first set of customers be this.. nairaland 2008/2009 set grin grin
how time flies gosh!!

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Beware Of This So Called Company, They Are Kidnappers / N-Power Registration 2020: Share Your Experience / QUESTIONS: GMAT,JOB APTITUDE TEST,GOVERNMENT JOB TEST &(5) COVER LETTER SAMPLES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.