Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,996 members, 7,825,081 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:06 AM

My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From (87369 Views)

What Job Seeker Needs To Learn From Jobberman Recent Report / 10 Sticky Job Interview Situations And How To Handle Them / Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by webbiz9ja: 6:58pm On May 22, 2011
SOME PEOPLE ALMOST ALWAYS
GET THE JOB THEY WANT” WHY?
BECAUSE THEIR CV WINS THEM AN INTERVIEW AND 99% DON'T!
SEND CODE “CV” FULL NAME, NUMBER, EMAIL AND STATE OF RESIDENCE TO 08027015857/08184816084 OR cvexpertservicesnig@gmail.COM
FOR FREE INFORMATION PACK
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Relixy2k: 5:04pm On May 23, 2011
Mine was in a media house I had serious malaria but I choose not to ask for posponement of the interview. The interview panel asked me the question who are you? I answered and said "my names are".I was asked the same question again and I replied the same thing until one of the panelist in a whisper that he will throw me out it was then it dawn on me to say my name is.Of course I tried desperately to win back their confidence by over explaining subsequent questions asked, they eventually said I will be a good teacher instead of a reporter I applied for.I was never called again and I learnt my lesson the hard way.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by TG(m): 4:34pm On May 26, 2011
I can imagine ur embarassment, ur lessons are noted!
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by donakabs: 4:51pm On May 29, 2011
Thank you guys for all the tips, I have really learnt a lot,
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by ssemire(f): 11:33am On May 31, 2011
i had worked in a bank for 3 years before leaving for my masters in UK. I did an interview with macdonalds and was asked why i wanted to work with them. I gave the stupid reason of loving their food so much (which I don't) and the guy was like so you are more interested in having a free mac. well, the conversation ended and i didn't get home before I got the rejection mail
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by doctorfox: 10:27pm On Jun 03, 2011
Lol, most of us look for jobs for wrong reasons (just for the free mac?).

We need to know that we have the right reason and attitude for the job, not only the paycheck but also the ways we believe we can add to the company's growth by the skills we have to offer.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by kehnie: 3:18pm On Jun 07, 2011
I attended an interview with an oil firm in lekki,on my way to the venue,i bought chewing gum in order to freshen my breath,i enter the interview room forgetting to dispose of d chewing gum in my mouth,i got a rejection letter a week later,it really hurt because it was my dream position(hr).
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by sexymama1: 12:59pm On Jun 10, 2011
nice advice dear
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by yassbell: 2:13pm On Jun 17, 2011
Nice1, I think thr is a lot to learn from ur experience.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Womaniza: 8:31pm On Jun 17, 2011
i remember vividly when i went for an interview in an oil servicing firm on the Island. It was for a Rig trainee engineer job. I was asked if i can do a particular job on the rig,
Guess my response,
I can do all thing through christ that strenghtens me,
I did not get the job sha,

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Dunddy(m): 12:16pm On Jun 19, 2011
mine was yesterday.
i was called for BAT interview and cos i wanted to beat time, i arrived lagos from ibadan on friday very late and got to unilag around 11pm.
iwas told thaqt even if i leave unilag by 7, i would get to my venue before 9.
i spent the whole nite going through this thread.
cos i didnt want to fall in the same mess, i got uo early and was setting out when i saw it was raining heavily.
i couldnt believe it. i waited till past seven, still the rain did not stop.  so i entered. i was soaked to my d**k
the suit i wore (i had never washed before) then started bleaching and stained my white shirt.
i looked in the mirror and i remembered the "kogi guy" on this thread. lol.
thank God i had a spare shirt (which i had used as my towel in the morning) and the suit i wore to work the day before,
my interview was scheduled for 9 but as at 9.30 i just got to CMS. i was going to check for the time on my phone for time when i saw 3 missed called from them! fear catch me. then, i took a bike and set out on a journey that should have been made on a boat! embarassed
the flood in VI were so,
i entered the venue like a beggar.
i asked the receptionist politely where the gents was and i changed my whole cloth to what i had worn the day before.
yes i was looking fine but something was wrong, the AC. i shivered like i had convulsion. the more i try to control myself, the more i shook. i was going to take my time to adjust when i was called into an even colder room for my interview.
men u needed to see me, my voice quivered! in fact and my jaws were snapping, i had to request that the AC be off!
it was so embarrassing. although the interview went well, one cannot tell what is on the minds of the recruiters,

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by rumomonga(m): 9:21pm On Jun 19, 2011
This thread is 3 years old nd yet so informative and hilarious. My jaw is aching 4rm xcess laff. Up NL
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by AjanleKoko: 9:59pm On Jun 19, 2011
Dunddy:

mine was yesterday.
i was called for BAT interview and cos i wanted to beat time, i arrived lagos from ibadan on friday very late and got to unilag around 11pm.
cos i didnt want to fall in the same mess, i got uo early and was setting out when i saw it was raining heavily.
i couldnt believe it. i waited till past seven, still the rain did not stop.  so i entered. i was soaked to my manliness
the suit i wore (i had never washed before) then started bleaching and stained my white shirt.
thank God i had a spare shirt (which i had used as my towel in the morning) and the suit i wore to work the day before,
my interview was scheduled for 9 but as at 9.30 i just got to CMS. i was going to check for the time on my phone for time when i saw 3 missed called from them! fear catch me. then, i took a bike and set out on a journey that should have been made on a boat! embarassed
the flood in VI were so,
i asked the receptionist politely where the gents was and i changed my whole cloth to what i had worn the day before.
yes i was looking fine but something was wrong, the AC. i shivered like i had convulsion. the more i try to control myself, the more i shook. i was going to take my time to adjust when i was called into an even colder room for my interview.
men u needed to see me, my voice quivered! in fact and my jaws were snapping, i had to request that the AC be off!
it was so embarrassing. although the interview went well, one cannot tell what is on the minds of the recruiters,

Makes you wonder. Should we not start to imbibe the culture of checking the next day's weather?
After all, it's available everywhere these days, even online.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Dunddy(m): 6:13am On Jun 20, 2011
even so, would that have made me invisible to the rain that started before 5 am and ended past 3 pm? or would i have slept at the company's gates?
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by alexola20(m): 10:42am On Jun 20, 2011
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 20, 2011
Dunddy:

mine was yesterday.
i couldnt believe it. i waited till past seven, still the rain did not stop.  so i entered. i was soaked to my manliness
the flood in VI were so,

a variant of this happened to me some four years ago

interview was for 4pm

i live in festac, so i stayed overnight with a friend in surlere - the guy also had suits

left at 2pm - the goddam taxi developed a fault on the bridge, then it started raining. got into another taxi and was eventually stuck somewhere in ikoyi, flood everywhere. i then hopped on an okada. rain slapped me. i was damp . anyway, i got there and the receptionist gave me a saucy you're late. daft biatch. anyway, i st for the interview some 30 moins later. ac dried me enough. interviw went swimingly. on my way back, the rain finished what it started. through beating. man i was soaked through and through. anyway, i got the job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by AjanleKoko: 1:02pm On Jun 20, 2011
Dunddy:

even so, would that have made me invisible to the rain that started before 5 am and ended past 3 pm? or would i have slept at the company's gates?

Well, you could have borrowed a brolly (umbrella), or you could have gone to the venue in street clothes and changed there. You could have carried your suit in a plastic bag, for example. Even if you ended up late, you might have gotten there still tidy and not so shaken.

Or maybe you would have left Unilag earlier than 7am if you knew it was going to rain, and we all know that once rain starts in Lagos, buses disappear from the roads.

I'm only saying this with the benefit of hindsight. Not that I am blaming you. But what you suffered is the same thing we all suffer in Nigeria - we suffer from a lack of an information culture. Which eventually makes our decision-making poor.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Dunddy(m): 5:13pm On Jun 20, 2011
Thanks man, but i indeed set out at past 5am but waited somewhere for the rain to stop. had to enter like that when it did not at 7 am.
besides i had 2 pairs of suits. the one i wore to work/lagos and the other one i intended to wear to the interview. both got very soaked.
as regards an umbrella, i dont that it would have served any purpose in that rain, my dear.
whatever, it is well with us all. we can never be too wise, u know.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by smart0071: 12:26pm On Jun 21, 2011
sorrry & hard luck ahead[color=#770077][/color][quote][/quote]
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by RuuDie(m): 9:43am On Jun 22, 2011
Nice thread grin
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Egelife(m): 8:13am On Jun 26, 2011
Hi nairalanders I love ur posts on dis column,cos am really learning 4rm it since I will be applying them in the next 3 months after service, but I like to ask: when asked in an interview "what is ur statics" what specifically are u expected of. Pls send ur posts since I know about 3 peppl this has embrassed
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by dominobaby(f): 12:26pm On Jun 27, 2011
Wow. lwkmd! i've really had my laughs, learnt some stuff too.

@dundy, men i sincerely hope you get the job, the rain of that day was not an easy small something.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by pharuk: 5:28pm On Jun 29, 2011
Hi Folks, I thought i Shld add my own bit of shame,

I got an interview from a world brand company, was too excited and got carried away with the pay, I asked for interview guidelines and if it was a test or competency based. The guy on the phone just said its pretty straight forward.
Got to the place an hr before time and sat in the car, i dint know i parked in a disabled parking sport and the cctv was directly on me, i was called to repack during the interview and it was a bloody test in excel that i could even answer 1.

had another one, I read in a book that you can ask the interviewer how long they worked and what motivates them, i decided to twist it and told her "i See u`ve worked here for a while, what motivates you" with her hard face she just said, am a contracting employee, i don't work here!! she asked me 3 qualities of a leader and if i got the job what are the three things i will do,, i Went blank for qualities and the 3 things i will do is say thank you for the job and meet my work mates,
EPIC FAIL, got a rejection before i got home.

Next interview was with a Scottish guy, we both had strong accent and cldnt tell what each other was saying, Fail

Finally, got 2 offers for a job starting same day, and i had one last interview, the interview was a proper babe, she was more like a model, i pulled her leg and constantly complemented her, couldnt remember any of the questions she asked.
all i knew was that i had 3 jobs in the morning,
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by saintohia: 1:33pm On Jul 01, 2011
Please note that it's not always suit, it's a fuction of the firm's dress code & the department u wld work.

My first interview and the only interview I wore suit & ONLY ONE I wasn't offered appointment (an engineer) immediately I passed out 4m NYSC. It was an engineering firm.

Guy, I got to the venue few minutes before the time, met the receptionist & she directed me to where I waited 4 the interviewers 2 call me, when they finally did, I went in, to my surprise, they all wore casual clothes (3 men in jeans) . Four men & a woman & they all asked me almost simutaneously "are u coming from a bank" after which one of them said, You look expensive. I responded no, I'm not 4m bank. The interview followed. Damn it, when I came out, the other six ppl that participated in the interview all look casual too, I was the only person that wore suit and look very cute.

Lessons:

1. Always know (find out) the compamy dress code, expecially the department you wld work.
2. Try not to look or appear more expensive than the interviewer.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by yuzedo: 2:03pm On Jul 01, 2011
@ Pharuk: Dude, you're the man o jare!! TEWW FUNNY!!!! Gaddem! grin grin tongue
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by kenmaro: 11:58am On Jul 04, 2011
Mine was some time in early 2007, a day before my NYSC POP. I went for this interview in an event company. I was called in and all normal interview questions were asked of which i did gave an answer to all the questions. Then suddenly i was asked, what career do i intend to pursue. Guess what? I forgot everything about career, i could not give an answer because i was fucking confused when all i needed was just a job to make a start and i don't know what to tell my interviewer that may please. At d end d interview became a counseling stuff. I didn't get d job. Although, i had d feeling b4 d interview dat i won't get d job because i was not impressed with the organizational structure. Come to think of it, what do u expect an applicant, who is seriously looking for a job to make a living in dis high unemployment country of ours, to say about individual choice of career? The unemployment situation in Nigeria does not allow one to take to a chosen choice of career rather the forces of unemployment chooses a career for almost every employable person. Majority of people working today in their various job in Nigeria never chose what they do today

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by blank(f): 12:13pm On Jul 04, 2011
Kai, make i remember my own.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by denzel2009: 1:27pm On Jul 04, 2011
Mine was some years ago. I went for an interview with a company in Ib, after all said and done the guy asked 'What can you bring to the table'?

I asked 'what table'? No need to explain what happened afterwards.

Lessons learnt over the years:

Always have war stories ( interesting and engaging stories that you're the problem solver, in short a batman)

Maintain eye contact with all the interviewers at intervals when telling your porkies, you don't want to focus on a just one of them and ignore the others.

My secret of maintaining eye contact is to focus on the ridge of the nose.

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by vacancy2(f): 12:08pm On Jul 06, 2011
Little advice.
People tend to put themsleves under too much stress when attending iinterviews. I know the job market is hard and you really need the job but it won't help at all when you become so nervous that you can't even answer simple questions that you would ordinarily be able to answer. Always calm down. Tell yourself its just a job. Tell yourself anything that can calm you down. Prepare to succeed but calm down. If you are nervous you may not get the job anyway.
Some things I find upsetting when interviewing people in our recruting business are:
1. Body odour, unbelievable but true that some people come in stinking. For heaven's sake use perfume even cheap ones.

2. Don't shout down your interviewer. One guy came across as shouting down when asked to defend his marketing skills. Don't do it. Speak calmly but firmly

3. dress well. Even if not a suit if going for non-suited positions such as engineering, some construction etc
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Fidelo726: 9:16pm On Jul 07, 2011
I love this thread. Can't remember the last time a had a good laugh on my own.
I dont really have any to share.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

N-Power Registration 2020: Share Your Experience / QUESTIONS: GMAT,JOB APTITUDE TEST,GOVERNMENT JOB TEST &(5) COVER LETTER SAMPLES / Recruitment For INEC Adhoc Staff For 2019 Election Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.