Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,161 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From (87315 Views)

What Job Seeker Needs To Learn From Jobberman Recent Report / 10 Sticky Job Interview Situations And How To Handle Them / Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 1:04pm On Apr 25, 2008
I use to be ashame of talking about them, i guess am talking about them because am some steps up the ladder now.

The first was immediately after my service year it was a big one the pay figure (like i gathered)  was  mouth watering and i was already calculating what i will do with the money and at that time i needed money bad.
on the D-day i was ask to read a paragraph from a book and yours truly was shaking all over like a leave on water it was so embarrassing, it never happened to me before. Believe me, am  very bold and good with presentations.

The cause
My head was calculating the pay and suddenly a fear of what will happen if i don't get the job gripped me

Lessons
1. Never count your chicks before they harsh
2. Go to the interview with a sport mind set  i.e you either win or loss
3. Don't  place all your value on the monetary aspect alone

My second experience was with a bank, i was just not prepared. I got the invitation  a day before the interview
and a dress code was specified.  I went in an oversized suit the top different from the bottom. The first thing the interviewer asked me was if am for the interview embarassed 

Lessons
1. Always be prepared, do all you can and leave the rest to God
2. Get all the tips on dress code here.

72 Likes 7 Shares

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by duxxmann(m): 2:27pm On Apr 25, 2008
Nice one.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by chipeter(f): 2:58pm On Apr 25, 2008
men, the thought of ur oversized suit made me laugh all day. i have also learnt from it.

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by dove24u(m): 3:04pm On Apr 25, 2008
quote author=chipeter link=topic=129847.msg2192648#msg2192648 date=1209131917]
men, the thought of your oversized suit made me laugh all day. i have also learnt from it.
[quote][/quote]Thanks 4 d tips.[
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by AngleJ: 11:08am On Apr 29, 2008
That your over sized suit made me laugh, you are funny. Though I learnt from it.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by onyenkem: 11:48am On Apr 29, 2008
My dear, thanks 4 d message and d oversize suit

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by ezeizu: 12:58pm On Apr 29, 2008
omo na waoooooo. as 4 me i dont want to learn iwant to prevent, that's why i'm hustling to get my own suit
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by earthrealm(m): 3:29pm On Apr 29, 2008
lol, the suit brouhahah, is sure embarrasing!!

just being asked that question alone is enough to make u embarrased!!,
thats my advice to all wud be job seekers.
save up n buy a suit.
it mustnt b too expensive, just go to cms/obalende, if u cant afford the 10k suits, n buy the fairly used ones, btw 3k n 5k depending on its condition.

wear it with a good shirt/tie, n u wud be presentable,
mine happened sometime ago,

my first real interview, when i finished service.

i had gone thru the first stage with flying colours.

a panel of 5 including the executive director.

then i was invited 4 the final chat the the director alone.

n guess what i just cudnt maintain eye contact with the director!!!!,

kept staring everywhere n anywhere except the directors face!!.

the least i cud muster was an occasional furtive look!!!.

damnnnnnnnnnnnn!, remembering that day alone, just makes me laugh now!!

5 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 5:17pm On Apr 29, 2008
it so so nice to know u guys are learning from my mistakes

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by xammy(m): 5:51pm On Apr 29, 2008
there's alwayz 1st time 4 everything but yours was funny. it's coooooool u have the courage 2 share cuz it's better late than never.

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by marosky(m): 8:12am On Apr 30, 2008
nice post

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Deyohyeh: 1:12pm On Apr 30, 2008
hi,guess dat was a good tip,hp we all dont fall into d same situation lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by akinlayo: 4:43pm On Apr 30, 2008
a good lesson to learn from but must it always be suit doesnt a shirt and trousers do? a new suit for 10k is quit cheap maybe in lagos sha

4 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by oruru(f): 11:01am On May 02, 2008
good post,u are funny, grin grin grin grin grin
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by chummex(m): 11:41am On May 03, 2008
Hi Babree,
I liked ur comment about carrying a sports mindset to interviews. It sure can help 'cos I hv bn in a similar position bf. Mine was not bc I wz imagining how much I would get but bc I wz scared of failure. Also, my interviewer said I wz not maintaining eye contact!

Earthrealm,
that brings me to ur post. Why do u think u were not able to look at the director's face. Were u scared or u didn't consider it important. Pls we can also learn from u. For now, I 've resolved to even stare at my interviewer if it's what it means 'cos the other time I spoke about I thought I wz maintaining eye contact 'cos I had it in mind, but at the end of the day, my interviewer complained!
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by princewajo: 8:49pm On May 03, 2008
DAT IS COOL WHEN U LEARN FROM OTHERS BUT IT HAPPENS U MEN U ARE ON UR OWN. THANKS 4 D TIPS.GOING 2 GET MY OWN RIGHT AWAY. grin
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by laidback(m): 3:25pm On May 04, 2008
LOOK guys i'm really finding it hard to laugh over my interview mishaps. The few interviews i've had have been with multinationals (P&G twice, and Cisco Systems U.S & Amsterdam). I'm talking stricly six figures and wicked benefits. Usually i get to the last stage before somehow i'm dropped!!! I need help Oh! I will laugh from now till infinity when i land the position not before! GRRRRRRRR!!!!!![color=#990000][/color]
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 11:24am On May 05, 2008
I sure feel u babree. Now laff @ mine,
Got shortlisted for a job with mtn, was doing pretty well in the interviw until i was asked to describe myself and my relevance to the job, I just opened my mouth and no word came out for about 30 secs.
Men! even Dumb & Dumber will be proud of me.lol.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by barry06(m): 12:06pm On May 05, 2008
I tell u friends if there's PHD in Job hunting and all thats invovled. then i ve got it.

yeah, babre is right : 'dont count your chicks before they re hashed'.

again, in interviews , make sure u eat very well before ur presentation. its rule number one. i had that experience that nearly cost me my confirmation in the organisation i work for.

in interviews you that i ve to look weak. u must display high level of energy.

for more tips feel free to mail me:amechi.charles@yahoo.com
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by abatcha(m): 4:35pm On May 05, 2008
''Believe me am a very bold person and am use to presentation before crowds''

THE GRAMMER TOO.

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by hanen(f): 8:33am On May 06, 2008
@ abatcha

omg, i thought i was the only one that noticed.

@poster
u really need to brush up on ur grammar.

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by earthrealm(m): 12:29pm On May 06, 2008
yeah back to the issue about feeding well

one dude came 4 an interview in my coy, after passing tru the written tests in flying colours,

as he was finalizing issues with the GM, he collapsed n fainted!!!,

my

7 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by earthrealm(m): 3:34pm On May 06, 2008
sry i got cut off, my GM nearly heart a coronary that day.
fortunately the dude was revived n a tin of peak milk was administered 2 him,
he then confessed that he was on 7days fasting in his local church.[not sure if he said that 2 save face, or he was serious]

but at the end of the day,,,,he failed to snag the job!!, guess his fainting spell played a major role 2wards his failure,

so guys pls pls eat well n dree properly b4 an interview.

4 the dude asking about suits,

yes suits are a must if u are going 4 a banking/fin house interview.

4 oil n gas, it aint mandatory,

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Cecegrace(f): 9:28am On May 07, 2008
Whoa, earthrealm I couldn't hold me self from laughing out loud, after reading your post. It is quite hilarious but though it is a serious thing. Is good at least I have learnt from you.

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by kazeem4t(m): 2:32pm On May 07, 2008
I must commend you 4 sharing this with d house.
I picked few points.
10X

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Kemjisuper(m): 5:38pm On May 07, 2008
thanks for the tips all, I'm almost at the end of my servive yr & i'll be hitting the interview stands pretty soon.

Cheers
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by franko21: 8:44pm On May 07, 2008
i almost laughed to death about da guy da fainted, all tanks to his fastin but anyway i must commend u guys 4 ur tips.keep up da good work
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by ogabo: 5:47pm On May 08, 2008
tx same happened to me at aso intervw.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by shibra: 7:05pm On May 08, 2008
good lesson to learn from your exprience man smiley smiley smiley
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by coi: 2:10pm On May 09, 2008
my experience was out of excitement that i will land a good job with a bank.
i was invited for a chat with the Head of HR.
Immediately I got to the bank premises, I decided to put my handsets in one beep ring in order to avoid embarrassment. I had to hear it beep cos my boss could be trying to reach me as I left the office without permission.
Out of excitement, I left it in one ring instead of beep.
While in the middle of the chat with the Head of the HR, one of the sets started to ring; I was confused and the guy asked me to pick my call, as I quickly snatched and switched off the phone, I was still saying my apologies when the second one started to ring.
Oooh, you can imagine the face of my interviewer. I think that was when he took his decisions

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by buzortech(m): 7:43pm On May 11, 2008
please I'd like to ask this question, What does a prolonged stare without words from a prospective employer signify?
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Jamco45: 4:45pm On May 12, 2008
buzortech:

please I'd like to ask this question, What does a prolonged stare without words from a prospective employer signify?

It can mean one of two things.

"I like this guy I might just give him a chance".
"This guy is damn stupid, how do i get rid of him".  grin grin grin grin

26 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

How To Be Job Ready / N-Power Registration 2020: Share Your Experience / QUESTIONS: GMAT,JOB APTITUDE TEST,GOVERNMENT JOB TEST &(5) COVER LETTER SAMPLES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.