Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,825 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:22 AM

My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From - Jobs/Vacancies (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From (87351 Views)

What Job Seeker Needs To Learn From Jobberman Recent Report / 10 Sticky Job Interview Situations And How To Handle Them / Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by kennyslim(m): 1:33pm On Dec 16, 2008
Nice telling on various experiences! But come o, where are the ladies with their experiences, if na issues on sex and relationship na, u will get them flooding the forum with suggestions and their unending pieces of advice undecided undecided undecided.

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by slimfine(f): 12:28am On Dec 25, 2008
I left home to US couple of years ago and I left as a teen so I didn't really have the opportunity to hassle for University or job in Naija. but I have been laughing my butt off with all the various experiences. Here in The US, WA to be precised, first impression is highly important but not as important as what we call probationary period. within this first 3 month period, you are not suppose to make any mistakes at what you do. if you do, you will be Fired!!!! regardless of how your interview went.

They emphasize that you know the history of the company and have experience. the previous job experience doesn't have to be a paid but could be acquired through volunteering. So instead of waiting months searching for employment, we might wanna get a volunteer at your related field while you are searching and almost every company hires volunteers.

Another thing that helped me secure a job while I am still in College is that I spoke from the heart. you can never go wrong when you listen from your heart. I work in a five star hotel as a receptionist. Even though that my long time goal is not to be in hotel business since I am in medical field, I told my director during the interview that being a receptionist will help me with my communication skill and i love to meet and learn from diffeernt people and as medical student I need this skill to communicate efficiently with my patient and their families.

He smile and told me to go and do a drug test (which is require so that they know you are not junkie)

I passed my 3month probation and have been there for 3years while I am still pursing my degree. tongue

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by IGWEUSA(m): 11:57am On Dec 26, 2008
slimfine:

I left home to US couple of years ago and I left as a teen so I didn't really have the opportunity to hassle for University or job in Naija. but I have been laughing my butt off with all the various experiences. Here in The US, WA to be precised, first impression is highly important but not as important as what we call probationary period. within this first 3 month period, you are not suppose to make any mistakes at what you do. if you do, you will be Fired!!!! regardless of how your interview went.

They emphasize that you know the history of the company and have experience. the previous job experience doesn't have to be a paid but could be acquired through volunteering. So instead of waiting months searching for employment, we might want to get a volunteer at your related field while you are searching and almost every company hires volunteers.

Another thing that helped me secure a job while I am still in College is that I spoke from the heart. you can never go wrong when you listen from your heart. I work in a five star hotel as a receptionist. Even though that my long time goal is not to be in hotel business since I am in medical field, I told my director during the interview that being a receptionist will help me with my communication skill and i love to meet and learn from diffeernt people and as medical student I need this skill to communicate efficiently with my patient and their families.

He smile and told me to go and do a drug test (which is require so that they know you are not junkie)

I passed my 3month probation and have been there for 3years while I am still pursing my degree. tongue

Naa Men, slim y did they send a fine girl like u 4 drug testing.

It looks as if u resemble AKATA girls well well, , lol. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

**not mean 2 insult**

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by slimfine(f): 7:49pm On Dec 26, 2008
@Igwe-USA

na true weee I talk ooooh

but are you in seattle though?
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by IGWEUSA(m): 6:45pm On Dec 27, 2008
slimfine:

@Igwe-USA

na true weee I talk ooooh

but are you in seattle though?

Slim I waz just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I dey north seattle dey celebrate my Xmas with SNOW.***************************** what about U ?
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by ninornnadi: 4:57pm On Dec 29, 2008
Thanks these were real helpful. I was so nervous at an interview with a conglomerate I wanted to work for real bad. And it Screwed up my chances. Please prepare very well and get eough sleep and rest before that day
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by sunybright: 12:18pm On Dec 30, 2008
u guys are really trying thanks 4 dat tips.
interview na God's grace smtimes u may prepare and ur prep may nt meet d panel expectation just pray 4 fa4 of God
wishing u guys prosperous new year 2009 undecided.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by finekoko(m): 12:03am On Jan 09, 2009
found this new job search site that you can uplaod your cv and fill in an online cv as well, they have current employers on thier database with available jobs so u get notified anytime a job is posted. http://www.cvdatabank.com it might be useful to you.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Zedman(m): 12:06pm On Jan 23, 2009
Had an interview some years ago. We were divided into groups to face a panel of four,as our group was made we entered into discussion and the 'forum' decided i'd be the leader since i was the most prepared.
The first question to the group would naturally be answered by me, as our interviewers asked the first question i gave an indication to answer but no words came out from my mouth. My whole group was shell-shocked,they just opened their mouths and gaped at me. No need to tell you i didn't get the job. It was my worst job interview.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by henryoke: 9:23pm On Jan 23, 2009
This ur story is so pathetic, but carries alot in it .I admire ur courage ,Keep fighting.Aluta continua tongue cool cool grin[b][/b
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by abbeycity5: 1:22pm On Feb 02, 2009
boy that ur suit experience is a lesson to allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by ladej(m): 11:48am On Feb 03, 2009
nothing like confidence, and a good well fitting suit to portray that confidence
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by spicyv1(f): 1:39pm On Feb 03, 2009
Nice one, very funny. However, i disagree with your concept of going for an interview with the mindset of winning or losing. Why go for an interview if you think you are gonna loose? You've no business going for an interview if you've already concluded on loosing. It's either i win or i win!

1 Like

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by aduje(m): 1:20pm On Feb 10, 2009
Thanks man for this sincere tip. My experience was similar. I failed my first interview after NYSC beacuse I could not knot my neck tie before the panel of interviewers.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by solajacobs(m): 8:19am On Feb 11, 2009
Well done, u people are soo wonderful
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by NothingMeg: 11:42pm On Feb 11, 2009
Visit http://derbjobs.com/4rum/index.php?action=register;inviter=1 FOR ALL THE LATEST JOB VACANCIES IN NIGERIA
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by phitty(m): 11:08am On Feb 16, 2009
kool one but i need more hints. Gud job
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by mrlizo: 2:53am On Feb 26, 2009
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by agath(f): 4:51pm On Mar 11, 2009
1ox for the wonderul post, really encouraging.
as per d guy that fainted, i don't think he fainted
coz he was hungry but it could be that he was over
nervous, there is nothing nervous cannot do to
someone in an interview hall. Am HR in my coy
so i knw what it is like to be in interview hall
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by soulamanne(m): 12:32pm On Mar 15, 2009
i love this thread.ve never really been in a real job interview but i learn a lot from friends who ve been there.

one was at etb and almost got the job but this.he was asked where he would love marketing or operations.he said marketin and the interviewers told him they were disappointed cos he had earlier told them he loved mathematics and they agreed to that cos in his test he got his highest mark in maths.they felt he would choose operations where he would be able to put it in use but he chose marketin.he felt so weak cos that was what he had in mind but an aunt of his who s been on the job for years told him to choose narketin.they said they would get back to him and he is still waitin for them grin

i dont know how true this is but i heard it long ago.someone said a guy was asked if cleaned hs feet with the footmat in front of the office before he entered and he said yes to impress them but the truth is there was no mat infront of the office and he was told loyalty is key and that ende the interview
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by chizzieO: 11:17am On Mar 20, 2009
tnx for the tips. its good to learn from other peoples mistakes. had an experience was on the hot seat with 5 guys staring at me as if i wanted to displace them of their job.well surprisingly i did well. i answered most of the questions confidently though i had no clue what the answers were. it was an COOL experience.CONFIDENCE IS VERY IMPORTANT.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by m9byme1(m): 10:57pm On Mar 20, 2009
Men thanks 4 the heads upooo,this is real serious even though we all are laughing . all the best in our interviews [BGG] amen.1lov
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by 7eleven: 11:29pm On Mar 20, 2009
grin HA HA , HOW HILARIOUS, YET VERY INFORMATIVE. YOUR EXPERIENCE WILL AID OTHERS WHEN THEY COME INTO SUITIATIONS LIKE YOURS.

HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE BUZZ NEWS WEBSITE. ITS A SITE WHERE YOU CAN PUBLISH YOUR OWN NEWS ARTICLES! EVERYONE HAS A STORY TO TELL,
FEELINGS TO SHARE, EXPERIENCES TO NARRATE AND VIEWS TO EXPRESS, SO LET IT OUT ON THE BUZZ NEWS SITE. ADDRESS IS http://buzz.6te.net
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by kellyhand1: 11:11pm On Mar 22, 2009
My ribs are almost cracked.Can't site out the funniest but very informative as well.

I had an experience with a multinational oil company in the UK in front of two top managers (white men).I had performed excellent in the technical areas to which they were highly impressed but hell was let loose when I was asked for the non-technical skills I possess. I stood transfixed for a moment and guess what came out from the thoughtless moment; I SAID I LOVE TO MAKE PEOPLE LAUGH TO CHEER THEM UP. The next question one of them asked was: ARE YOU A COMEDIAN? my God,that was when I knew I had lost it.

In another oil company I had an interview with for an experience position, I was told that my 6 months experience wasn't adequate but was offered the opportunity for entry level position. I TOLD I HAD NO PROBLEM WITH THAT.Do you guys think it's a right way to answer such a question?I got a rejection letter few days later.
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 1:20am On Mar 26, 2009
Maybe not
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by iyeayo(f): 7:42am On Apr 22, 2009
Pls keep this thread alive, it's the funniest ever on NL, I can't help but roll on the floor to LMAO!

I can remeber 2 embarrassing experiences

The first was during an interview with Oceanic bank sometime in 2002. I was wearing this nice blue shirt on a black long skirt when all of a suddenly one of the buttons broke off. Unfortunately, the broken button left a huge revelation of my under bra. I had to quickly run into the toilet and run through my bag to find an office pin or something to hold my shirt. Just then a lady walked in and I am sure she understood what I was trying to do. When I was called in, LO and BEHOLD! the lady I met in the toilet was on the panel and she kept starring at my chest area where I had used an office pin to hold my shirt. I lost all confidence and messed up things big time!

The second embarrasment was at an interview with Accenture. I had done my home work and was confident I was going to land the job. I met with this young bloke in casuals in his office, so I thought "How easy! nice bloke, no panel, this is heaven!". I was doing very well (I guess!) until the guy asked me to tell him what I know about Accenture. I knew what to say, but in between I kept saying "Asenture" instead of "Accenture" (note the 's' instead of 'cc').  I guess he was so disappointed he couldn't hold his temper and shout "ACCENTURE FOR GOD'S SAKE", I knew that was the end. Ha! I cried!.

2 Likes

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Nobody: 9:11pm On Apr 24, 2009
i had a very funny experience with a very lucrative and career oriented oil and gas firm
pricesely oil drilling firm.

i was not too nervous anyway because i felt within myself that haven been shortlisted
i gat the job.
After about an 1hr 45mins. as an engineer, i was asked hw many millimeters make one centimeter
i was just mooping at the operation"s manager,hr manager and maintenance mgr.the HR asked me wether i will need the back of an excersice book
belive me i said 100millimeters. grin
one of them asked wether am married and i said yes. he said i hope all is well at home
i said yes. he said " when you get home tell ur wife u failed conversion"
i told him that learning is a contnious process, and he replied , "when u learn new things"
And i told him that i just realise that am supoose to say 10.
Finally, i got the JOBBBBBBBB!!!!!!!
Am enjoying the job very well. and anytime i see my operatoin's mgr,i always remeber my interview day.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by leye4u: 12:04pm On Apr 25, 2009
Distributors wanted for fuel boosters that saves as much as 30 percent of your petrol and diesel consumption.Distributors wanted across the 36 states of the federation call 07026764118 or mail leye4u@yahoo.com
It saves fuel
Lubricates your engine
reduces smoke
Elongates the life span of your engine
Cleans your fuel delivery system
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by tamsTheotte: 7:41am On Mar 21, 2011
Hello

My real Name is Marcus and i want to say heloo to all here smiley

Check my site below smiley

Catering
Re: My Embarrassing Interview Situations You Need To Learn From by Mrsmall: 3:41pm On May 20, 2011
This forum make me remember my interview days

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Beware Of This So Called Company, They Are Kidnappers / N-Power Registration 2020: Share Your Experience / QUESTIONS: GMAT,JOB APTITUDE TEST,GOVERNMENT JOB TEST &(5) COVER LETTER SAMPLES

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.