Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,743 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:14 AM

Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... - Sports (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... (38859 Views)

Tennis: ATP World Tour Finals 2011 / Tennis: ATP World Tour Finals 2010 / Tennis: ATP Tournaments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 9:29pm On Sep 07, 2013
Obi1kenobi: It's over for Stan, he is technically superior and a better shot-maker than Novak but stamina seems to rule in the modern game and Novak's stamina is beastly. Poor Stan. cry

This is what happens when all courts are being slowed down and the advantage is being ceded to the defensive players with bigger lungs rather than better skills.
Nice post but please elucidate the bolded part of your post.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 9:29pm On Sep 07, 2013
Obi1kenobi: It's over for Stan, he is technically superior and a better shot-maker than Novak but stamina seems to rule in the modern game and Novak's stamina is beastly. Poor Stan. cry

This is what happens when all courts are being slowed down and the advantage is being ceded to the defensive players with bigger lungs rather than better skills.
Please elucidate the bolded part of your post.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:31pm On Sep 07, 2013
ThiefOfHearts: So called black males hoping that Serena is beaten

Thanks for reminding me why I dont bother with this pitiful site anymore.

May Victoria cry on Sunday

Madam, what kind of crude mentality is that? So you support people based on the colour of their skin? If all white people thought that way, who in the crowd would support Serena?

I support players whose style of play and whose personality appeals to me. Serena bulldozes her way through games with brutal tennis that lacks the guile and elegance of players like Justin Henin or Radwanska or Hingis in her prime or Steffi Graf. Her personality is quite ugly as well. Brash, abrasive,arrogant diva personality. She needs to learn to carry herself with the dignity of players like Federer, Nadal, Clijsters, and even her sister Venus.

2 Likes

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by biolabee(m): 9:31pm On Sep 07, 2013
Nole takes it...
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by fredoooooo: 9:32pm On Sep 07, 2013
welldone djokovic ,compliment stan ..........
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by biolabee(m): 9:35pm On Sep 07, 2013
Most likely nadal....vs nole

I hope nole takes It
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 9:37pm On Sep 07, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

Madam, what kind of crude mentality is that? So you support people based on the colour of their skin? If all white people thought that way, who in the crowd would support Serena?

I support players whose style of play and whose personality appeals to me. Serena bulldozes her way through games with brutal tennis that lacks the guile and elegance of players like Justin Henin or Radwanska or Hingis in her prime or Steffi Graf. Her personality is quite ugly as well. Brash, abrasive,arrogant diva personality. She needs to learn to carry herself with the dignity of players like Federer, Nadal, Clijsters, and even her sister Venus.
undecided undecided Really? She lacks the elegance...abi wetin u talk? Calling her personality ugly is a bit over-the-top. Arrogant? Okay now. Well, that's your opinion.

Nonsense opinion btw.

2 Likes

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by A40(m): 9:39pm On Sep 07, 2013
Djokovic wins but only just

Obi1kenobi:

Omode lo n se no mind am! I don't know why person go dey bring race enter this matter? I'm actually a fan of Serena which is the ironic thing
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:41pm On Sep 07, 2013
sholay2011:
Nice post but please elucidate the bolded part of your post.
It's simple really. In the generation of players like Sampras, Rafter, Ivanisevic, Agassi and co, the court surfaces - particularly Wimbledon grass and the US Open concrete - were much quicker. Serve-and-volley rapid tennis ruled on the quick courts with most points ending within 5 strokes. In trying to bring more baseline play to satisfy supporters, the courts have been progressively slowed down now handing the advantage to a particular style of play. Serve-and-volley tennis is gone from the tour.

Everybody is now a baseline ball basher. Aggression is less rewarded against players like Djokovic and Nadal who have freakish court coverage and superior stamina to their opponents. Tennis will misss Federer when he's gone cos he's one of the great relics of an older dominant style of tennis. On a 1990's US Open court, Stan would have beaten Djokovic today. The more skillful player didn't win but the player with greater stamina.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:49pm On Sep 07, 2013
sholay2011:
undecided undecided Really? She lacks the elegance...abi wetin u talk? Calling her personality ugly is a bit over-the-top. Arrogant? Okay now. Well, that's your opinion.

Nonsense opinion btw.
Yes, she lacks the elegance. If you love beautiful, flowing tennis, Serena is not the player to watch. She wins because she is so much more powerful and athletic than her more feminine opponents. Like watching men beat up women.

And yes, her personality is ugly. I would be here all day if i started posting the crude antics and utterances she comes out with. Threatening to kill a line judge, abusing and belittling an umpire, denigrating her fellow pros on tour. Refusing to play a compulsory tournament at Indian Wells for severl years now just because the crowd once booed her. She lacks class.

1 Like

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 9:50pm On Sep 07, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
It's simple really. In the generation of players like Sampras, Rafter, Ivanisevic, Agassi and co, the court surfaces - particularly Wimbledon grass and the US Open concrete - were much quicker. Serve-and-volley rapid tennis ruled on the quick courts with most points ending within 5 strokes. In trying to bring more baseline play to satisfy supporters, the courts have been progressively slowed down now handing the advantage to a particular style of play. Serve-and-volley tennis is gone from the tour.

Everybody is now a baseline ball basher. Aggression is less rewarded against players like Djokovic and Nadal who have freakish court coverage and superior stamina to their opponents. Tennis will misss Federer when he's gone cos he's one of the great relics of an older dominant style of tennis. On a 1990's US Open court, Stan would have beaten Djokovic today. The more skillful player didn't win but the player with greater stamina.
Hmmm...you are right.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:54pm On Sep 07, 2013
Still devastated Stan lost that. He deserves more after humbling Murray and outplaying Djokovic. Poor Stan. cry
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 9:59pm On Sep 07, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
Yes, she lacks the elegance. If you love beautiful, flowing tennis, Serena is not the player to watch. She wins because she is so much more powerful and athletic than her more feminine opponents. Like watching men beat up women.

And yes, her personality is ugly. I would be here all day if i started posting the crude antics and utterances she comes out with. Threatening to kill a line judge, abusing and belittling an umpire, denigrating her fellow pros on tour. Refusing to play a compulsory tournament at Indian Wells for severl years now just because the crowd once booed her. She lacks class.

The bolded part is not true. Though, power may be to her advantage against opponents, but her killer serves and deep strokes are the strengths. She has great footwalk too. From ur posts, I can infer you already have an image of Serena over the years not minding if she has changed or not.

It was in the past that she relied much more on power.

Talking about her personality. This is a girl that literally grew up in our faces and we all saw her weakness- being hot-tempered and desperate to win. She has made mistakes in the past but she has been trying to work on herself. That doesn't guarantee calling her personality ugly. That statement solely tells me how you see her which is wrong.

The Serena i know now is not arrogant like Djokovic; she calls every match a "tough one" even when she has demolished her opponent. She doesn't let her enviable career get in her head. That's a broader view of her personality.

2 Likes

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 10:00pm On Sep 07, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

The bolded part is not true. Though, power may be to her advantage against opponents, but her killer serves and deep strokes are the strengths. She has great footwalk too. From ur posts, I can infer you already have an image of Serena over the years not minding if she has changed or not.

Talking about her personality. This is a girl that literally grew up in our faces and we all saw her weakness- being hot-tempered and desperate to win. She has made mistakes in the past but she has been trying to work on herself. That doesn't guarantee calling her personality ugly. That statement solely tells me how you see her which is wrong.

The Serena I know now is not arrogant like Djokovic; she calls every match a "tough one" even when she has demolished her opponent. She doesn't let her enviable career get in her head. That's a broader view of her personality.

Even if her way of play lacks 'elegance', it has fetched her 16 majors with the 17th in view.

Chris Evert, John McEnroe, Kim Clijsters, Venus (her sister) and even Martina Nav. all knew what they saw when they called her the greatest female tennis player. Maybe you've not seen it yet, but I have.

1 Like

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:02pm On Sep 07, 2013
Onto tomorrows final in any case. I'm not a big fan of women's tennis other than drooling over hot legs. tongue I normally support the more beautiful woman who looks better in a tight mini-dress. grin

Serena is the overwhelming favourite of course but Azarenka is a fighter and has given her very tough matches in the past. Infact, Azarenka won their last meeting 3 weeks ago at Cincinatti. She would probably be good enough to make it tight but the only person that can beat Serena is Serena herself when she's playing bad.

I support Azarenka because she's the underdog. And she has the hotter legs. kiss
Although her loud squealing when she hits every shot irritates my ears. You almost feel like hitting the mute button.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:11pm On Sep 07, 2013
sholay2011:

The Serena i know now is not arrogant like Djokovic; she calls every match a "tough one" even when she has demolished her opponent. She doesn't let her enviable career get in her head. That's a broader view of her personality.

Her serve and depth of strokes are generated by the power I'm talking about. If you ever watched Justin Henin play, you'd know what is beautiful tennis. I'm not arguing about how good Serena is because she's the best clearly. I'm arguing about how entertaining it is to watch her.

Djokovic is not one-quarter as arrogant as Serena. He's just an emotional player that over-celebrates when he's winning. What you're describing about Serena is false modesty. Serena's arrogance shines through in her smugness even when giving her opponents back-handed compliments. As I said, if I started posting all the arrogant comments she's made concerning the likes of Henin, Sharapova, Safina, Hingis etc I would be here all day. They are too many to know where to start. Even in her treatment of officials, you see her arrogance.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 10:14pm On Sep 07, 2013
Obi1kenobi:
Her serve and depth of strokes are generated by the power I'm talking about. If you ever watched Justin Henin play, you'd know what is beautiful tennis. I'm not arguing about how good Serena is because she's the best clearly. I'm arguing about how entertaining it is to watch her.

Djokovic is not one-quarter as arrogant as Serena. He's just an emotional player that over-celebrates when he's winning. What you're describing about Serena is false modesty. Serena's arrogance shines through in her smugness even when giving her opponents back-handed compliments. As I said, if I started posting all the arrogant comments she's made concerning the likes of Henin, Sharapova, Safina, Hingis etc I would be here all day. They are too many to know where to start. Even in her treatment of officials, you see her arrogance.
Na wa for you oh. E don do abeg. Support your azarenka while I support "arrogant and classless" Serena. All izz well.

Btw, what makes her serve indomitable is mainly about accuracy with respect to nailing aces. Power provides the speed but without accuracy and good placement, double faults would be inevitable. Don't try to diminish her strengths on the basis of "it's all about power". Serena's game entertains me just as that of Henin does to you.

Djokovic is just an emotional player? Bu ah ah ah.

You've already said you don't really watch women tennis except for their sexy legs and so on. So, let me just end it here.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:29pm On Sep 07, 2013
sholay2011:
Na wa for you oh. E don do abeg. Support your azarenka while I support "arrogant and classless" Serena. All izz well.

Btw, what makes her serve indomitable is mainly about accuracy with respect to nailing aces. Power provides the speed but without accuracy and good placement, double faults would be inevitable. Don't try to diminish her strengths on the basis of "it's all about power". Serena's game entertains me just as that of Henin does to you.

Djokovic is just an emotional player? Bu ah ah ah.

You've already said you don't really watch women tennis except for their sexy legs and so on. So, let me just end it here.

Of course I watch women's tennis even though I prefer men's tennis. Where is your sense of humour? I was only overstating things. My opinions on the players are informed opinions based on my own perception. Good on you if Serena's game entertain's you. As the cliche goes "one man's meat is another's poison".

On to watching Azarenka's sexy legs stride to victory tomorrow... wink
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 10:34pm On Sep 07, 2013
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 10:34pm On Sep 07, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

Of course I watch women's tennis even though I prefer men's tennis. Where is your sense of humour? I was only overstating things. My opinions on the players are informed opinions based on my own perception. Good on you if Serena's game entertain's you. As the cliche goes "one man's meat is another's poison".

On to watching Azarenka's sexy legs stride to victory tomorrow... wink
Don't mind me...I left my sense of humour in another thread. tongue

I pray Serena defeats your darling Vika. But are Vika's legs actually sexy? undecided Her legs remind me of yam tubers just as Serena's biceps remind me of Bruce lee. grin

When we get Ana Ivanovic and Sharapova for dia...
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by fredoooooo: 12:22am On Sep 08, 2013
NADAL VS DJOKOVIC
WILLIAMS VS AZARENKA

battle of the world number one and two ...
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by mystikal(m): 1:46am On Sep 08, 2013
what makes djokovic arrogant abeg? Thats a first.

Unto serena, not really been her fan but its hard not to see that there is a little
more to her tennis than muscularity these days. She is bringing more subtlety and art to her game
now than she has at any time in her
previous reigns, possibly – as with Roger
Federer – out of necessity, as the pack
gather round her.

1 Like

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Santino1(m): 10:14am On Sep 08, 2013
Obi1kenobi:

May God bless you, you just summarized why I'm not her big fan with just a few words.I'm glad we still have fans of elegant tennis than all these 'runners with a racket in their hands' thinking they are playing tennis.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Horus(m): 1:22pm On Sep 08, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1D9IAgCtLM

Serena Williams Fall Fashion Collection

1 Like

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by fredoooooo: 2:09pm On Sep 08, 2013
who care if you like her or not , 16 grand slams and we are still counting . Atleast she define herself for herself , let fed , kim etc be who they are , this is SERENA WILLIAMS and we are #TEAM SERENA . tongue cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:26pm On Sep 08, 2013
Azarenka acquiting herself well so far.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:29pm On Sep 08, 2013
This is why I'm routing for Vika. tongue

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by fredoooooo: 10:53pm On Sep 08, 2013
1st set in the bag ...
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
Serena turning the screw now. An inevitability about proceedings. C'mon Vika!
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:17pm On Sep 08, 2013
Vika creating openings which are snuffed out by gutsy stuff from Serena. She has to hang in there mentally for when Serena's level drops and she's got to take her break chances.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:20pm On Sep 08, 2013
Oh dear grin The double-break by Serena. I think it's clear this is over now. No way back now for Vika.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by dtwsola(m): 11:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
obi1kenobi, I wish you'd just shut your sellout-ar.se up. See how shameless you are - salivating over a white woman while badmouthing a beauitful, inspirational black woman who has broke ground for black women in her sport. smh @ your minstrel-like worship of a white woman while many of the same white people view your race as subhuman. Nonsense.

Anyway, Serena's got this one in the bag. Black Power!

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (45) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Receives New Car From Georgina For His 37th Birthday / Warri Wolves Suspends Two Players For Bringing Prostitutes To Camp. / Juventus Appoint Andrea Pirlo As New Manager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.