Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,448 members, 7,816,032 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:06 AM

Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... - Sports (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... (38857 Views)

Tennis: ATP World Tour Finals 2011 / Tennis: ATP World Tour Finals 2010 / Tennis: ATP Tournaments (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by A40(m): 1:04am On Sep 09, 2013
Congrats to Serena! Well deserved champ! A very good and hard fought final from the ladies which is all a ninja can ask for. Looking forward to the Men's Draw it should be epic

My boy Nadal would give Djoker the business
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:05am On Sep 09, 2013
^^^^^^
please, to clarify, I didn't say supporting Serena makes you a racist. But supporting her just because she's black like you makes you a racist. I'm not arguing about the moality of that but simply labelling it what it is.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 1:06am On Sep 09, 2013
So Serena wud get 3.6 MILLION DOLLARS? ! shocked My daughter must play tennis oh! grin
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 1:06am On Sep 09, 2013
Obi1kenobi: ^^^^^^
please, to clarify, I didn't say supporting Serena makes you a racist. But supporting her just because she's black like you makes you a racist. I'm not arguing about the moality of that but simply labelling it what it is.
Okay. smiley
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:07am On Sep 09, 2013
sholay2011:
I have heard you. Oya come make we celebrate and jollificate naa...your opponent has won!! cheesy tongue
Why I go jollificate na? My main match is tommorrow as I cheer the Spanish bull to victory against the Serbian upstart. C'mon Rafa! cool
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 1:12am On Sep 09, 2013
Chei, but Serena be like man sha. grin Look at those biceps, those thunder thighs, those wide shoulders, that bulging neck, that big head. She may have a decent career playing against some men.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by SuyaEater(m): 2:31am On Sep 09, 2013
Obi1kenobi: Chei, but Serena be like man sha. grin Look at those biceps, those thunder thighs, those wide shoulders, that bulging neck, that big head. She may have a decent career playing against some men.

go die
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Nobody: 2:36am On Sep 09, 2013
Kudos Serena! Handed out bakery products in all 7 matches!

Congrats on no 17 baby!

*But that second set stunk sha*

1 Like

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by chic2pimp(m): 6:04am On Sep 09, 2013
Obi1kenobi: Chei, but Serena be like man sha. grin Look at those biceps, those thunder thighs, those wide shoulders, that bulging neck, that big head. She may have a decent career playing against some men.

The booty nko? The hips nko? How bout those bosoms? Shey dem resemble man?

1 Like

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Santino1(m): 8:34am On Sep 09, 2013
chic2pimp:

The booty nko? The hips nko? How bout those bosoms? Shey dem resemble man?

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by question(m): 9:15am On Sep 09, 2013
sholay2011: So Serena wud get 3.6 MILLION DOLLARS? ! shocked My daughter must play tennis oh! grin

Hope she donates some cash to Charity.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by biolabee(m): 9:25am On Sep 09, 2013
The race question over supporting serena.. Interesting debate

She is a herald in a white dominated sport hence it is easy for blacks to Support her whole heartedly

For me more important than race is the equality of prize money which is illogical

Nadal nole no be mate with serena and sugarpova
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 10:23am On Sep 09, 2013
biolabee: The race question over supporting serena.. Interesting debate

She is a herald in a white dominated sport hence it is easy for blacks to Support her whole heartedly

For me more important than race is the equality of prize money which is illogical

Your last point is invalid. Nadal no be mate with Serena? undecided Or you mean Serena no be mate wiv Nadal? grin

The equality of the prize can only be challenged on the basis of the no of sets an individual has to win to win a match. 3 for males, 2 for females. That's the only argument.

For the record, it's ridiculous comparing Nadal to Serena. Nadal is of course the better player but Serena is more of a legend to the tennis game than Nadal or Novak.

Btw, who cares if the prize money for both sexes is equal? Just win it jare!

1 Like

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by biolabee(m): 10:47am On Sep 09, 2013
Rather you fail to comprehend my point

The proponent of equal prize money, Billie J King fought on the basis of non-discrimination on gender but conveniently left out the part where men and women play different number of sets (3 for men and 2 for females)
It is almost impossible for men to play in both singles and doubles categories while the women do it routinely
Vika won the mixed doubles in the Olympics and got to the final
Serena and Venus won the Olympics doubles while serena won the gold

Let the woman play 3 sets, then the equality of prize money is valid

Capische??

sholay2011:
Your last point is invalid. Nadal no be mate with Serena? undecided Or you mean Serena no be mate wiv Nadal? grin

The equality of the prize can only be challenged on the basis of the no of sets an individual has to win to win a match. 3 for males, 2 for females. That's the only argument.

For the record, it's ridiculous comparing Nadal to Serena. Nadal is of course the better player but Serena is more of a legend to the tennis game than Nadal or Novak.

Btw, who cares if the prize money for both sexes is equal? Just win it jare!
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 11:02am On Sep 09, 2013
biolabee: Rather you fail to comprehend my point

The proponent of equal prize money, Billie J King fought on the basis of non-discrimination on gender but conveniently left out the part where men and women play different number of sets (3 for men and 2 for females)
It is almost impossible for men to play in both singles and doubles categories while the women do it routinely

Capische??

Were you asleep when you typed this? undecided Did you even finish reading my post at all? You just repeated and expatiated my major point on the only ground that your argument is valid: no of sets played by a male and a female.

But you didn't point that out in your previous post and now you're all over the place with stories of double and singles. Abeg, spare me that.

And I still believe your thinking is sexist. And if the prize money is equal. ..so what? undecided

Because Usain Bolt can run faster than Shelly Fraser-Pryce, so his medal shud be more of real gold compared to her? (Just like you said that 'Nadal or Nole are better than Serena' as a point that justifies your argument).

Mr Biolabee...e lo sun.

1 Like

Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by sholay2011(m): 11:02am On Sep 09, 2013
biolabee: Rather you fail to comprehend my point

Capische??

Were you asleep when you typed this? undecided Did you even finish reading my post at all? You just repeated and expatiated my major point on the only ground that your argument is valid: no of sets played by a male and a female.

But you didn't point that out in your previous post and now you're all over the place with stories of double and singles. Abeg, spare me that.

And I still believe your thinking is sexist. And if the prize money is equal. ..so what? undecided

Because Usain Bolt can run faster than Shelly Fraser-Pryce, so his medal shud be more of real gold compared to her? (Just like you said that 'Nadal or Nole are better than Serena' as a point that justifies your argument).

Mr Biolabee...e lo sun.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by nikky341: 11:08am On Sep 09, 2013
sholay2011: So Serena wud get 3.6 MILLION DOLLARS? ! shocked My daughter must play tennis oh! grin
Mine too, I done talk am tete grin
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by biolabee(m): 11:59am On Sep 09, 2013
@sholay

Maybe you are the one asleep when you were reading my response

If you cannot comprehend my post, ask for clarification

I read your post

My point is that the physicality required to be a male champ is different from that to be a female champ hence females competing in both singles n double categories

The pundits are drooling over a thrilling us open female final. When was that experienced last

Go figure
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Horus(m): 1:41pm On Sep 09, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfA-cf1qDA

Serena Williams vs Victoria Azarenka ~ 3rd Set Highlights ~ US Open 2013 (Final)
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by A40(m): 2:08pm On Sep 09, 2013

I don't know how anyone in their right minds would watch gladiators like Nadal,Djokovic and Federer do battle and still argue that men and women deserve equal pay! Honestly it borders on insanity

Gender equality proponents and feminists ought to know where to draw the line!
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by A40(m): 2:16pm On Sep 09, 2013
sholay2011:

Mr Biolabee...e lo sun.
So are you saying Marta and Birgit Prinz should earn the same amount as say a Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo because they both play 90 mins? This is really laughable

It is actually sexist to suggest that a woman doing less than a man should get equal pay just because she's a woman
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by biolabee(m): 2:18pm On Sep 09, 2013
^^^ Excellent points Sir,,,,
I really appreciate the points of Obi1kenobi who laid it on the poor lad or lass about the inherent racism in supporting an athlet plainly based on skin colour

The truth is that a lot of male athletes on the tennis circuit are complaining about this but dont want to be seen as rocking the establishment
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Obi1kenobi(m): 2:46pm On Sep 09, 2013

I certainly agree they don't deserve equal prize money based on the superior popularity of the men's tour and the difference in sets played. However, tennis is one of few sports in the world were the top females enjoy equal celebrity with the top males - unlike football for example. Sharapova earns more from endorsements than any male player. Although it's more about their beauty or glamour and marketed sexuality rather than their raw talents unlike the men. So the WTA players argue their equal celebrity entitles them to equal pay with the men.

They argue the sets issue is irrelevant because the reward is "prize money" and not wages or a salary for commensurate work done. I see their point but it's unfair on the men who have to burst their guts playing 5 sets and are unable to play doubles to earn extra money.

The reality is modern political correctness will rule and the gap has been permanently bridged. Women play far lower quality, less entertaining, less competitive tennis. They don't deserve equal pay but the feminist and pro-feminist lobbyists have won an irreversible victory in this case.
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by biolabee(m): 3:00pm On Sep 09, 2013
Exc points bro

You are right in the irreversibility and political correctness of the matter

Me thinks women should play 3 sets also
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Horus(m): 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsl8TSN5Z78

Serena Williams vs Victoria Azarenka Highlights Women's Finals US OPEN 2013 Award Ceremony
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Santino1(m): 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2013
A-40:

I don't know how anyone in their right minds would watch gladiators like Nadal,Djokovic and Federer do battle and still argue that men and women deserve equal pay! Honestly it borders on insanity

Gender equality proponents and feminists ought to know where to draw the line!

That says it all...
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Horus(m): 3:17pm On Sep 09, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57rUdsv5ZRw

Serena Williams hails 'awesome' US Open victory
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by A40(m): 3:18pm On Sep 09, 2013
biolabee: ^^^ Excellent points Sir,,,,
I really appreciate the points of Obi1kenobi who laid it on the poor lad or lass about the inherent racism in supporting an athlet plainly based on skin colour

The truth is that a lot of male athletes on the tennis circuit are complaining about this but dont want to be seen as rocking the establishment

Nadal has spent almost 13 hours on the court in the US open alone! Who knows how long tonight's game would go for? I doubt the women's draw spend 13 hours for all 4 grand slams combined

If you even want to play the marketability card Serena and Sharapova are the only bankable players out there
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Horus(m): 3:36pm On Sep 09, 2013
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by biolabee(m): 3:43pm On Sep 09, 2013
The global female bankable stars are very few

Some are just endorsed in their countries

Really borinng most of the times

A set between. Nadal and djokovic lasted one hour 15 minutes

In that time serena had despatched her opponent
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by ToyinDipo(m): 10:02pm On Sep 09, 2013
Male final is about to start, where did everybody go?
Re: Tennis ATP/WTA: DAVIS CUP 2013 THREAD... by Josh64(m): 10:09pm On Sep 09, 2013
#team nadal. Go Rafael!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (Reply)

Cristiano Ronaldo Receives New Car From Georgina For His 37th Birthday / Juventus Appoint Andrea Pirlo As New Manager / Warri Wolves Suspends Two Players For Bringing Prostitutes To Camp.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.