Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,830 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:40 PM

Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) (23186 Views)

Agagu Burial Rites Commences today / Ta Orji Disgraced At Aba During Ojukwu Burial Rites / Final Burial Rites Of Ojukwu To Begin On Saturday 11th February (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Nobody: 4:42pm On May 22, 2013
3ace: Wow! So Ngige is this short. shocked
@topic, what a befitting burial for a great icon. Rest in peace sir.

Ngige and El Rufai I wonder who is shorter
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Pacesetter2: 4:43pm On May 22, 2013
He deserve it
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by W3xy1(m): 4:55pm On May 22, 2013
AnanseK:

Hiring a plane is spelled - Charter and the continuous form is "chartering".

To talk quickly and continuosly about things that are not important is "chattering".

And the 2 words have different pronounciations.[b][/b]
y not open a kiosk and start evening class. i beg park well.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by AnanseK(m): 4:57pm On May 22, 2013
W3xy1: y not open a kiosk and start evening class. i beg park well.

ACHEBE SPOKE & WROTE GOOD ENGLISH, courtesy demands.....

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by TwinTiger: 5:00pm On May 22, 2013
1MCN: Odogwu nwoke
Nnukwu nmawu
Osisi Orji
Ikemba
Ikenga
Ugwu-mba
Onye bu uzo
Aha-eji-aga-mba
Odee
Isi-afulu-kwaba-okpu
Nwoke oma enyi oha
Oka-mmuta
Alibati Chinualumogu nwa Anichebem
Laa n'udo
Ise!
Oo nnya ka ina eme !Nnai mului.Igbo kwe nu!Iseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by slimghost(m): 5:01pm On May 22, 2013
Please more pictures
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Nobody: 5:17pm On May 22, 2013
AnanseK:

ACHEBE SPOKE & WROTE GOOD ENGLISH, courtesy demands.....

And to that, I'd say.... HEAR HEAR.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by wisewale: 5:18pm On May 22, 2013
RIP SIR,
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Ivynwa(f): 5:40pm On May 22, 2013
Achebe Nwannem,
Naba na ndokwa
O ga adiri gi mma
Naba na ndokwa.

Rest Brother. You did us proud.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by naijaswag1: 5:45pm On May 22, 2013
Apart from the Bible, I have read Things Fall Apart more than any other book.

1MCN: Odogwu nwoke
Nnukwu nmawu
Osisi Orji
Ikemba
Ikenga
Ugwu-mba
Onye bu uzo
Aha-eji-aga-mba
Odee
Isi-afulu-kwaba-okpu
Nwoke oma enyi oha
Oka-mmuta
Alibati Chinualumogu nwa Anichebem
Laa n'udo
Ise!

Chi ejiee nu utoo, ife emee, dike anaaa

I can recall these words in Things Fall Apart

If you were not a strong man in your life
I would have asked you to come back again as a strong man
You were so in your next life, come back as Achebe

Ya di ba.
Na na udo.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Willy7(m): 5:45pm On May 22, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

People respected and admired him until he wrote that tribal book There Was a Country.

If Nigerians know anything, we know how to spot a common tribalist. That book ruined his reputation here in Naija.
For pete's sake that book was a memoir,check up d word memoir in ur dictionary please.A man wrote down his personal experience and he is termed tribalistic?I believe it takes tribal bigot to know one.One thing i've come to realise that igbos share with hausas/hausa fulani is the ability to call a spade a spade.They dont mince words.They tell it like it is.No wonder only a particular tribe has been d only people hurting themselves over the said book.Most people haven't even seen d book,talk more of reading it,yet they follow the bandwagon of critics because they heard he painted their so-called hero in bad light.Achebe is a great man,and a great man he will remain.Wheather d whole country come to bury him or not,it doesnt take away his worth.Afterall he rejected d political gestures and favours thrown at him while he was alive,so even if its only the Achebe clan coming to bury him,he will continue to rest in peace.God bless Chinua's great soul.

6 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by crackhouse(m): 5:46pm On May 22, 2013
Okoro2015:
Is that not Obi and Ngige walking hand to hand? Laughing in ACN.
that is politicians for you, they use us to play their cat and mouse games and afterwards they meet in their regular beer parlor joints to discuss about the games. that's a lesson for those that intend to die for politicians in the upcoming elections.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Eziachi: 5:52pm On May 22, 2013
Okoro2015:
Is that not Obi and Ngige walking hand to hand? Laughing in ACN.
You are not seeing double, its Ngige and Obi walking and probably cracking few jokes, but few idiots will come online and on the street and fight over them.
Just as Jonathan , Buhari, Tinubu etc are being fought over, day and night here by low lives, whom this men care less about their very existence.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by dayokanu(m): 5:55pm On May 22, 2013
So Achebe was draped in a Nigerian flag.

I hope he would be seeing that he died a Nigerian
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Eziachi: 5:58pm On May 22, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

People respected and admired him until he wrote that tribal book There Was a Country.

If Nigerians know anything, we know how to spot a common tribalist. That book ruined his reputation here in Naija.
Who give a twit about your respect? Respect based on saying what you wanted to hear only. A book am sure you don't know how it looks like, let alone reading it.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by gbame(m): 5:59pm On May 22, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

'Tribal' book? have you read the book? What makes the book 'tribal'?
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 5:59pm On May 22, 2013
All the coffin needed was flowers,don't think he would have approved of the flag. The man refused a national honour while he was alive. RIP!

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Eziachi: 6:00pm On May 22, 2013
dayokanu: So Achebe was draped in a Nigerian flag.

He is dead, he has no choice, even if he has, you will still find something meaningless about it to say. So whats new or news?

3 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by slimghost(m): 6:04pm On May 22, 2013
dayokanu: So Achebe was draped in a Nigerian flag.

All Achebe wanted was a Nigeria where justice, fairness and equality reign supreme. A corrupt free Nigeria we can all be proud of. Unfortunately, i believe he died a sad man seeing the situation his beloved country is in.

4 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by ekoileee: 6:14pm On May 22, 2013
Willy7: For pete's sake that book was a memoir,check up d word memoir in ur dictionary please.A man wrote down his personal experience and he is termed tribalistic?I believe it takes tribal bigot to know one.One thing i've come to realise that igbos share with hausas/hausa fulani is the ability to call a spade a spade.They dont mince words.They tell it like it is.No wonder only a particular tribe has been d only people hurting themselves over the said book.Most people haven't even seen d book,talk more of reading it,yet they follow the bandwagon of critics because they heard he painted their so-called hero in bad light.Achebe is a great man,andi a great man he will remain.Wheather d whole country come to bury him or not,it doesnt take away his worth.Afterall he rejected d political gestures and favours thrown at him while he was alive,so even if its only the Achebe clan coming to bury him,he will continue to rest in peace.God bless Chinua's great soul.

At the end of the day, opinion cuts both ways. He had every right to write about and voice his views and opinion same ways others have the same rights to respond to what he wrote and voiced especially about them.

If you people really love this man, lay off your disruptive one sided argument or end up dealing with folks on the other side of the fence because all you'll get is distraction and endless back and forth argument which for now means nothing but taking away from the man you are trying to honor.

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by chizel: 6:15pm On May 22, 2013
R.i.p
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Eziachi: 6:17pm On May 22, 2013
eko ileee:

At the end of the day, opinion cuts both ways. He had every right to write about and voice his views and opinion same ways others have the same rights to respond to what he wrote and voiced especially about them.

My sentiment too. If anyone have problem with his book, his story or the way he sees things he wrote- they are free to write theirs and tell it their own way.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by slimghost(m): 6:22pm On May 22, 2013
Eziachi:
My sentiment too. If anyone have problem with his book, his story or the way he sees things he wrote- they are free to write theirs and tell it their own way.

Sure, they can write their own memoir but not twisting the mans story to suit their baseless and hateful agenda.

1 Like

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by dayokanu(m): 6:27pm On May 22, 2013
slimghost:

All Achebe wanted was a Nigeria where justice, fairness and equality reign supreme. A corrupt free Nigeria we can all be proud of. Unfortunately, i believe he died a sad man seeing the situation his beloved country is in.

Quit lying.

Achebe did not want Nigeria. He wanted his own country that never was

2 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by slimghost(m): 6:31pm On May 22, 2013
dayokanu:

Quit lying.

Achebe did not want Nigeria. He wanted his own country that never was

I have always known you to be shallow in thoughts. First off, If those things i listed were to be found in Nigeria, why would anybody want out? Can you remember Achebe's reply to OBJ while turning down his National honor? Truth is, everybody wants out of Nigeria because you cant find peace, justice, fairness and equality here.

6 Likes

Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by oddy4real(m): 6:38pm On May 22, 2013
[quote author=slimghost]

I have always known you to be shallow in thoughts. First off, If those things i listed were to be found in Nigeria, why would anybody want out? Can you remember Achebe's reply to OBJ while turning down his National honor? Truth is, everybody wants out of Nigeria because you cant find peace, justice, fairness and equality here.[/quote
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by ekoileee: 6:42pm On May 22, 2013
Eziachi:

They are obviously writing theirs with many counter views and have been since the book came out including what many are objecting to on NL.
Re: Chinua Achebe's Burial Rites (Pictures) by Anabaraonyepete(m): 6:48pm On May 22, 2013
Adieu Achebe!!... R.I.P

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Falcon Eye: Nigeria's Surveillance System Against Piracy (Pictures) / Pro-biafra Trump Rally: Army Brutalizes The AUTHORITY Editor In Rivers / Uche Onyeagucha Causes Chaos At INEC Centre In Imo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.