Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,188 members, 7,818,614 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:47 PM

When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? - Family (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? (20548 Views)

Help! My Friend Wants To Divorce Her Husband For Kissing Their Baby. / I Love My Wife. I Caught My Bestfriend bedding Her, Should I Divorce Her. / I Don't Want To Divorce Her,but Do I Have Any Choice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 8:31am On May 24, 2013
biolabee:

On the basis of available data... if you want to disprove that.. that is another long thing which is not my own concern
That hypothesis is the starting point
Some countries may be higher, others lower

I did not want to raise this cos it could engender further stereotyping but lets go there..

Some more if you up for this

http://www.australianpaternityfraud.org/news/Globe_and_Mail_Mommys_Little_Secret.htm

I still think we should focus on the topic of this thread

Once again, from all of that, where is the conclusive statement that 30% is the global average?

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 8:40am On May 24, 2013
These are the most conclusive statements you will see from the article.

It's now widely accepted among those who work in genetics that roughly 10 per cent of us are not fathered by the man we believe to be dad.

Some peg the range at 5 to 10 per cent; others, such as Jeanette Papp of the University of California at Los Angeles, feel that 15 per cent is reasonable for the Western world, even if there is no hard evidence.

Note, that it is consensus and there is no hard evidence. So I wonder how someone can claim that the skewed results from one lab in one state in Nigeria concludes the total numbers for the country overall.

Later in that article, you can clearly see the explanation for the 30% number from the AABB. Here it is.

The American Association of Blood Banks reports that 30 per cent of men who suspect they are not biological fathers are right.

So tell me, how can you use a sample of people that already suspect they are not the father who then go to have their suspicions confirmed as the global average? Of course there will be a high number of results for the simple reason that there was a high level suspicion to start with. It is NOT the same as global average.

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by josite: 8:59am On May 24, 2013
when he commits adultery or abandoned her or cannot penetrate her or he is violent but it must be shown she didn't not condone all these vices or else she loses.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Freiburger(m): 9:02am On May 24, 2013
josite: when he commits adultery or abandoned her or cannot penetrate her
lol, na wah o.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by honeychild(f): 9:48am On May 24, 2013
MMotimo:

Ok, I will create a thread. So far, I'm not seeing the rabid misogynist I thought you were cheesy

exactly....I am actually pleasantly surprised by some of DK's comments on this thread.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by biolabee(m): 10:06am On May 24, 2013
ok. thanks....

ileobatojo: These are the most conclusive statements you will see from the article.

Note, that it is consensus and there is no hard evidence. So I wonder how someone can claim that the skewed results from one lab in one state in Nigeria concludes the total numbers for the country overall.

Later in that article, you can clearly see the explanation for the 30% number from the AABB. Here it is.

So tell me, how can you use a sample of people that already suspect they are not the father who then go to have their suspicions confirmed as the global average? Of course there will be a high number of results for the simple reason that there was a high level suspicion to start with. It is NOT the same as global average.

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 10:32am On May 24, 2013
StateOfMind:
I meant women can't win with these nairaland men actually, should have included that in my initial post. I agree with your points and I felt the same disgust about them being 'excited' at their responses and concluding they speak for all married women. I guess it makes them feel good that some women are still enduring abuse in marriage as opposed to what females preach on nairaland.

As far as I am concerned, This is in no way a form of discouragement to the #teamsaNOtoviolenceandgetyouractstogether.
Cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

From what I have read, majority of the women in this video are lazy and comfortable in their misery, who am I to attempt to remove them?
The self esteem of those women have taken so much beating it might be impossible to help them recover it. I just hope they don't pass their foolish thinking on to their kids.

Kai. But some men on this thread really dissapointed me sha

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 11:18am On May 24, 2013
Some of the women saying ' no I wld never divorce him' look like they will put food poison in his food and hide his body in a freezer grin grin grin
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by coogar: 12:35pm On May 24, 2013
ileobatojo:
I really hope you don't truly believe all this rubbish you are posting. 50% of tests in his labe means 50% of tests in his lab does not mean 50% of all of Nigeria. Period. Let me know when you actually have a credible source for the random numbers you are throwing around. I'll be waiting.

ileoba, stop arguing against logic.....
30% is the global average of negative paternity test - dr. salami would later reveal that 5 out of 10 tests he did were negative with firstborns in nigeria........

http://indiapaternityfraud./2009/10/11/paternity-fraud-in-china-shows-it-is-a-global-problem/
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by cutiepie01(f): 1:03pm On May 24, 2013
@poster;When you find out that remaining married to the man could lead you to hell fire.Its better you back out.But the other side of the story is that you must remain unmarried.The only condition for which u can remarry is when he's dead.A lesson to our single ladies;seek the face of God and SHINE YOUR EYES before going into marriage with any man.SHALOM
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 1:21pm On May 24, 2013
biolabee: ok. thanks....

Well, I'm glad you can finally admit that you've been making up wild stories and numbers this entire time.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by coogar: 1:29pm On May 24, 2013
ileobatojo:
Well, I'm glad you can finally admit that you've been making up wild stories and numbers this entire time.

ileoba, always claiming fake victories cheesy
this is another piece...

The issue of asserting the paternity of a child is a very dicey one and has caused many surprises for men who thought they were the biological fathers of their children. It must be very heartbreaking for a man to think that he is the biological father of a child but after carrying out a DNA test, it proves otherwise.

In a recent interview with The Nation, a DNA expert gave some interesting statistics about the paternity of Nigerian men, saying that at least three out of every ten Nigerian men are not the biological fathers of their kids!

What we have found out is that, anytime we take ten men, at least three of them eventually found that they are not the fathers of the children they call their own. And these men would have taken care of the children for all their lives. Now, the global statistics is 100, 000 out of every 300, 000 men. But what we have found that is that the situation is higher in Nigeria than other places. For example in our laboratory here, 50 per cent of the cases comes out negative. And we also realised that majority of the first-borns are affected. You only need to be here to see big men cry like little kids and watch children weep in agony. It has been that bad.

He further noted that thirty per cent of fathers are unknowingly bringing up children who are not biologically theirs, and the percentage may be on the increase due to sexual recklessness. According to him, negative paternity results is both rampant in matrimony and casual affiliations.

I tell you, we have had series of married men come here and go back home devastated. In one instance, a man came here with his wife. Out of the five children he thought were his own, he discovered that only two belonged to him. And they are both duly married, living together as husband and wife.

As someone who tests about 15 to 20 families weekly, he mentioned some instances that could warrant a man to take the DNA test.

People come here as a result of various types of controversies over the paternity of certain children. You know, families have come to us with claims that a child neither takes after the mother nor the father in looks and character. So, the man of the house would be curious to ascertain facts. And when they come here with such children, the fears of the fathers have often been affirmed. Fathers usually have the doubts; maybe he has been hearing some rumours, and you know, men are often the last to hear such things about themselves. Until many of them come here to take the test, they have nurtured other men’s children before realising it.

http://www.bellanaija.com/2012/10/02/dna-expert-gives-shocking-statistics-3-out-of-10-nigerian-men-are-not-biological-fathers-of-their-children/

ileoba, give up - your hands are too short to box with me.

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 1:53pm On May 24, 2013
coogar:

ileoba, always claiming fake victories cheesy
this is another piece...

ileoba, give up - your hands are too short to box with me.

You have a penchant for self mutilation don't you? Once again, you quote another article that counters your own statements and supports mine. Lmao!

I'm still waiting for your credible sources. Even this article is quite questionable. How can they say globally 100,000 of every 300,000 (33%) is fathering someone else's child and in Nigeria the number is 3 in 10 (30%), yet Nigeria's numbers are considerably higher? Like I said, please quote credible sources that can get their figures right. Thanks.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by ladygogo: 2:15pm On May 24, 2013
@poster;When you find out that remaining married to the man could lead you to hell fire.Its better you back out.But the other side of the story is that you must remain unmarried.The only condition for which u can remarry is when he's dead.A lesson to our single ladies;seek the face of God and SHINE YOUR EYES before going into marriage with any man.SHALOM

Seun we need an unlike button. undecided
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by coogar: 2:16pm On May 24, 2013
ileobatojo:
You have a penchant for self mutilation don't you? Once again, you quote another article that counters your own statements and supports mine. Lmao!

you have a problem with comprehension!

I'm still waiting for your credible sources. Even this article is quite questionable. How can they say globally 100,000 of every 300,000 (33%) is fathering someone else's child and in Nigeria the number is 3 in 10 (30%), yet Nigeria's numbers are considerably higher? Like I said, please quote credible sources that can get their figures right. Thanks.

you are a dork - the 30% figure is the generally accepted stats all over the world but these nigerian experts have found out that it's considerably higher in nigeria than anywhere else.......DNA testing is new in nigeria, there was no prior survey before these doctors did theirs - everyone just accepted the only available figure(the global figure). from the article i quoted, the doctor said 50% of his cases turned out to be negative! i repeat, 50%!!!!

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:09pm On May 24, 2013
coogar:

you have a problem with comprehension!

you are a dork - the 30% figure is the generally accepted stats all over the world but these nigerian experts have found out that it's considerably higher in nigeria than anywhere else.......DNA testing is new in nigeria, there was no prior survey before these doctors did theirs - everyone just accepted the only available figure(the global figure). from the article i quoted, the doctor said 50% of his cases turned out to be negative! i repeat, 50%!!!!

Quit blabbering and post a source for your claim that 50% of Nigerian men are raising bastards.

In the meantime, let's entertain other nairalanders with a game of spot the difference.

Coogar:
-30% is the global statistic - it's 50% in nigeria
-the 30% figure is the generally accepted stats all over the world but these nigerian experts have found out that it's considerably higher in nigeria than anywhere else

Article Coogar posts to prove his claim:
-a DNA expert gave some interesting statistics about the paternity of Nigerian men, saying that at least three out of every ten Nigerian men are not the biological fathers of their kids!

Can anyone spot the difference?
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 24, 2013
Not coogar and ile again grin grin it will be a very long day

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 24, 2013
jennykadry: Not coogar and ile again grin grin it will be a very long day
lol does how love starts you know wink
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 24, 2013
jennykadry: Not coogar and ile again grin grin it will be a very long day

gringrin
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by coogar: 3:30pm On May 24, 2013
ileobatojo:
Quit blabbering and post a source for your claim that 50% of Nigerian men are raising bastards.

Now, the global statistics is 100, 000 out of every 300, 000 men. But what we have found that is that the situation is higher in Nigeria than other places. For example in our laboratory here, 50 per cent of the cases comes out negative. And we also realised that majority of the first-borns are affected

even if you were born brain dead, you should be able to see through this little article.

•global statistics = 30%
•situation is higher in nigeria than other places
•50% of his tests in nigeria came out negative
•he tests 15-20 families per week for the past few years.

In the meantime, let's entertain other nairalanders with a game of spot the difference.

time to expose your stupidity in high definition.....

Coogar:
-30% is the global statistic - it's 50% in nigeria
-the 30% figure is the generally accepted stats all over the world but these nigerian experts have found out that it's considerably higher in nigeria than anywhere else

Article Coogar posts to prove his claim:
-a DNA expert gave some interesting statistics about the paternity of Nigerian men, saying that at least three out of every ten Nigerian men are not the biological fathers of their kids!

Can anyone spot the difference?

DNA expert said at least three out of every ten men are not the biological fathers of their kids. every 10 cases he chose randomly, 3 or more tested negative. 3 is the least not the median!!!!

you have a problem with statistics - if every 10 test cases brings out ONLY 3 that are negative, the expert wouldn't have said the situation is higher in nigeria than anywhere else.

there you have it, all the 20+ years you spent formally educating yourself was put down by coogar in 5 mins. if i were you, i would ask for a refund......
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 3:43pm On May 24, 2013
coogar:

even if you were born brain dead, you should be able to see through this little article.

•global statistics = 30%
•situation is higher in nigeria than other places
•50% of his tests in nigeria came out negative
•he tests 15-20 families per week for the past few years.

Therefore 50% of Nigerian fathers are fathering bastards?

This is quite imbecilic even for you.

time to expose your stupidity in high definition.....

DNA expert said at least three out of every ten men are not the biological fathers of their kids. every 10 cases he chose randomly, 3 or more tested negative. 3 is the least not the median!!!!

you have a problem with statistics - if every 10 test cases brings out 3 that are negative, the expert wouldn't have said the situation is higher in nigeria than anywhere else.

Quit making a fool of yourself and explain this statement. So if I don't break it down into simplistic parts, you are telling me you are too dull to grasp what is being said. Okay, here you go. The expert said the situation in Nigeria is higher than everywhere else AND that the Nigerian number is 30%. Therefore the numbers everywhere else must be lower than 30%. Olodo rapata!
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by coogar: 3:58pm On May 24, 2013
ileobatojo:
Therefore 50% of Nigerian fathers are fathering bastards
This is quite imbecilic even for you.

you are a tool, ileoba.....in his lab, 50% of the tests were fathering bastärds. he tests about 60-80 families a month for the past 5 years. that's a decent sample size so he knows what he's talking about.....

Quit making a fool of yourself and explain this statement. So if I don't break it down into simplistic parts, you are telling me you are too dull to grasp what is being said.

you are the one displaying world class idiocy here....i hate to do this cos it seems i am putting my own dog to sleep. how can you not see the difference the clause "at least" makes in a sentence?

Okay, here you go. The expert said the situation in Nigeria is higher than everywhere else AND that the Nigerian number is 30%. Therefore the numbers everywhere else must be lower than 30%. Olodo rapata!

the DNA expert said: "Now, the global statistics is 100, 000 out of every 300, 000 men. But what we have found that is that the situation is higher in Nigeria than other places."

he never said the nigerian figure is 30% no such survey has ever been done in nigeria until now - everyone until now just went with the generally accepted figure = the global figure of 30%

it's 30% in america and china....it's around 30% also in the UK and that's been the general figure until nigerian women took it higher than the global average.

ileoba, go to bed - your weak defence that he meant the numbers are lower elsewhere is quite pathetic! your stubbornness not to back off got me spraying your ogbomosho blood on your prayer rug!!!

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 24, 2013
Why am I not surprised?
At least, some of them are against abuse. We're making progress!
Any man that raises his hand on me, not only am I leaving him, he should be ready to sleep in jail for at least 2 days. cool
As for the cheating part, he would just wake up the next morning and notice that he's peeing through an artificial tube. The natural tube would have been removed. undecided grin

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 4:32pm On May 24, 2013
coogar:
he never said the nigerian figure is 30%

Really? Then what is this?

coogar: no such survey has ever been done in nigeria until now - everyone until now just went with the generally accepted figure = the global figure of 30%

No, the observed results out of a lab going about it's daily business in one region does not qualify as a 'survey' that can be statistically used to be representative of the entire country since it was not designed for that purpose. The doctor himself NEVER said his results represent the whole country. He NEVER said his report replaces the old numbers. He NEVER said so. For the simple reason that it just does not.

The only information we can glean from that is exactly what has been stated. That 50% of the tests he performs in his lab are negative. 50% of the father's that come to his lab for paternity tests are not the father's of the children in question. That's all. There is nothing further to be conclusively deduced from that stat.

I'm done going round in circles. Have a nice day.
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by coogar: 4:48pm On May 24, 2013
ileobatojo:
Really? Then what is this?

ileoba, please - "at least 3" is not 3!!!! do not showcase more illiteracy than necessary. at least 3 = 3 or more!!! refer back to your math in secondary school and how "at least" throws a different light into stats - i am done spoonfeeding you!

No, the observed results out of a lab going about it's daily business in one region does not qualify as a 'survey' that can be statistically used to be representative of the entire country since it was not designed for that purpose. The doctor himself NEVER said his results represent the whole country. He NEVER said his report replaces the old numbers. He NEVER said so. For the simple reason that it just does not.

the statement below suggests he thinks his test results should replace the old figure....

"Now, the global statistics is 100, 000 out of every 300, 000 men. But what we have found that is that the situation is higher in Nigeria than other places."

20 families per week is about 1,000 cases a year. in the last 5 years we are talking about 5,000 cases. if 5,000 cases do not represent a whole country then i wonder what can?

The only information we can glean from that is exactly what has been stated. That 50% of the tests he performs in his lab are negative. 50% of the father's that come to his lab for paternity tests are not the father's of the children in question. That's all. There is nothing further to be conclusively deduced from that stat.

50% negative tests from random people that travel from different states is a true representative of the whole country. this is DNA lab test, not pepper soup joint or churches you can find in any corner of the street. i am 300% certain lagosians aren't the only clients that patronise him.

I'm done going round in circles. Have a nice day.

you should have been done since last night...... i hate to expose your intellectual weakness but you always force my hands. cheesy

1 Like

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by somegirl1: 6:12pm On May 24, 2013
English no easy
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 24, 2013
some-girl:
English no easy

All the ladies in the video sound poorly educated. You really can't blame for their low self-esteem

2 Likes

Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by biolabee(m): 8:09pm On May 24, 2013
ileobatojo:

Xxxxx.

If it makes you slEep better at night

@coogar its going down on the shopclue thread
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 8:24pm On May 24, 2013
biolabee:

If it makes you slEep better at night

@coogar its going down on the shopclue thread

Link please wink
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by biolabee(m): 9:31pm On May 24, 2013
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by Nobody: 9:35pm On May 24, 2013
Re: When Can A Nigerian Woman Divorce Her Husband? by biolabee(m): 9:45pm On May 24, 2013
You welcome Ma

alutacontinua:

Thanks, boss!
You made my evening!

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Who Do We Blame For A Child's Failure? / Who Will You Take Sides With, Me Or My Wife? / Choosing The Right Spouse: Luck Or Personal Brilliance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.