Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,909 members, 7,810,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:12 AM

Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! (7620 Views)

Lightning Kills Women In Church In Imo (photo) / The Great Debate- Is God Alive?..atheism Vs Religion / Lightning Strikes As Pope Benedict Resigns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 5:42pm On May 24, 2013
Evil Brain:

Maybe you could do us all a favour and go to conservapedia.com, Answers in Genesis, and any of the other dark corners of the internet where creationists stay,to discover these cogent arguments" and post them here for us.

I'd like to hear a cogent argument about how the animals on Noah's ark were able to breathe at 8,800 metres altitude and how come they didnt freeze to death since the flood waters were high enough to cover the highest mountains including Everest.

I'd like to hear a cogent argument explaining how the Loch Ness monster is real.

Normally, I would go conservapedia.com myself to find those cogent arguments, but the last time I visited that site, the rubbish I read there shook my faith in humanity to its core. I'm not brave enough to enter there again.

But you, Uyi Iredia, you can be the hero we need. You can boldly go where others won't. Only you can bring us. the cogent arguments!

Will you accept this mission?

No. I recant my earlier comment.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Kay17: 6:30pm On May 24, 2013
Uyi Iredia: So what ? The point can't be over-emphasized (given antecedents as Seun's) that many prominent scientists (past and present) are Christians.

Oh mine!! Irrelevant. We are refering to systems (religion vs science).
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 7:57pm On May 24, 2013
Abeg ooo, I've been asking myself this question for a very long time... Is seun a muslim or an atheist
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by mazaje(m): 8:01pm On May 24, 2013
Misunderstood_G: Abeg ooo, I've been asking myself this question for a very long time... Is seun a muslim or an atheist

He is an atheist. . .
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by maclatunji: 9:23pm On May 24, 2013
Evil Brain:

Right! Because people didn't. know that they were supposed to breastfeed babies until the Koran told them. FYI, breast milk substitutes have existed in one form or the other since prehistoric times. All science did was to make the stuff safer and more similar to real breast milk.

Correct. And thats why no sane atheist believes or says that.

The koran also tell us that salt water and fresh water don't mix. And Muslim teachers have been teaching children this obvious rubbish in spite of the fact that its demonstrably false. Because it has to be true because the Koran says so, even though it isnt.

I totally agree. The problem is that the "true" Muslims; i.e. those who believe and obey the Koran and hadith completely and entirely; are always irrational fanatics. The good Muslim scientists are the ones who are able to ignore the crazy parts of the scriptures and willing to pursue the truth even when it contradicts their faith. Muslims like that are far too rare these days.

Of course, people don't know how to breastfeed even up till now. If they did WHO would not have this http://www.who.int/topics/breastfeeding/en/ . The point is not whether several types of baby food exist or not, it is about which is best and for how long should it be given? Islam categorically answered it.

I post evidence that the Quran encourages research, you say if I follow it and hadith totally I won't be able to be objective. Your deduction is poor.

As for fresh and salt water not mixing, you fail again. Which fresh water river do you see becoming salty after mixing with the sea or ocean? http://www.islam-guide.com/ch1-1-e.htm
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by ezme(m): 10:07pm On May 24, 2013
Obinoscopy: Lightening strike should not bring conflict between science and religion. This is because a lightening strike could be due to a huge potential difference between the lower base of a negatively charged cloud and a positively charged surface on earth OR it could be due to spiritual intervention.

Most of the lightening strike we witness can be explained scientifically and can be prevented or neutralised with the aid of a lightening rod. But there are few cases of supernatural lightening strikes, such strikes cannot be prevented with all the lightening rods put together.

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by EvilBrain1(m): 10:08pm On May 24, 2013
maclatunji:

Of course, people don't know how to breastfeed even up till now. If they did WHO would not have this http://www.who.int/topics/breastfeeding/en/ . The point is not whether several types of baby food exist or not, it is about which is best and for how long should it be given? Islam categorically answered it.

The best available research shows that 6 months is the minimum required for a child to gain the maximum benefits from breastfeeding. While theres nothing wrong with doing it for longer, its not really necessary as long as the child is getting and adequate and well balanced food. You seem to believe that the 2 years stated by the koran is some kind of perfect magic number, and its not. The koran could have said anything between between 6 months and 3 years and it wouldn't be any more or less wrong. And there's no big deal about it getting a figure in the correct ballpark since women have been breastfeeding for that long (give or take a few months) for thousands of years. If that's your evidence that the koran contains revealed knowledge, then it is extremely weak.

I post evidence that the Quran encourages research, you say if I follow it and hadith totally I won't be able to be objective. Your deduction is poor.

The verse you quoted doesn't even encourage searching for knowledge. What it says is that rain and clouds, and winds, the sailing of ships, and animals et-cetera are "signs for those that are wise". That's like the bible saying rainbows are a sign of god's love. There is nothing there that says go and study nature to find out how it works and what it means. Instead, the koran is just telling us what it means: that it's all a sign from allah. That's pretty much the opposite of encouraging scientific enquiry.

As for fresh and salt water not mixing, you fail again. Which fresh water river do you see becoming salty after mixing with the sea or ocean?

I wish you could step outside of Islam for a minute so you could see how ridiculous the above statement looks to an unbrainwashed mind. I wish, I wish, I wish.

Edit: I just clicked on your link. There is no gaddem barrier between salt and fresh water when the meet in the ocean. That anybody with a secondary school education can actually believe this is a true miracle of islam (and not in a good way).
Let me give you and assignment.
1. Go to the nearest ocean and get some sea water in a container e.g. a small jerrycan.
2. Get some fresh water from your tap in another container.
3. Mix two waters in a third container.
4. Record your findings.
5. Post the results of your experiment on this thread.

I'll do the same experiment here and if the waters don't mix, I swear on my atheist honour that I will convert to islam. If the waters do mix, I hope you will consider no longer posting this kind of pseudo-scientific bullshiat in public forums where impressionable minds can see it.

If not for me, then do it for your country. You are lowering the average national IQ.

2 Likes

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by maclatunji: 10:18pm On May 24, 2013
Evil Brain:

The best available research shows that 6 months is the minimum required for a child to gain the maximum benefits from breastfeeding. While theres nothing wrong with doing it for longer, its not really necessary as long as the child is getting and adequate and well balanced food. You seem to believe that the 2 years stated by the koran is some kind of perfect magic number, and its not. The koran could have said anything between between 6 months and 3 years and it wouldn't be any more or less wrong. And there's no big deal about it getting a figure in the correct ballpark since women have been breastfeeding for that long (give or take a few months) for thousands of years. If that's your evidence that the koran contains revealed knowledge, then it is extremely weak.

The verse you quoted doesn't even encourage searching for knowledge. What it says is that rain and clouds, and winds, the sailing of ships, and animals et-cetera are "signs for those that are wise". That's like the bible saying rainbows are a sign of god's love. There is nothing there that says go and study nature to find out how it works and what it means. Instead, the koran is just telling us what it means: that it's all a sign from allah. That's pretty much the opposite of encouraging scientific enquiry.

I wish you could step outside of Islam for a minute so you could see how ridiculous the above statement looks to an unbrainwashed mind. I wish, I wish, I wish.

You know the Nile and Amazon are now salty after you mixed them with salt water. #LOL

Keep telling yourself you are special. #Hehehe
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by EvilBrain1(m): 10:39pm On May 24, 2013
maclatunji:

You know the Nile and Amazon are now salty after you mixed them with salt water. #LOL

Gaddemmit!!! The Nile and Amazon flow into the gaddem ocean. And then the water mixes, inside the gaddem ocean. The river water doesnt get salty because no ocean water is entering the river. The water is flowing in the opposite gaddem direction.

If someone was to pour some ocean water into the river, then the waters will mix and the river will get saltier as the salt is diluted through the whole body of water. This happens because there is no gaddem barrier.

I edited my last post. Please read it and stop posting this nonsense here. It is morally wrong, and very annoying.

I'm tired of talking to you. You make me fear for the future of Nigeria. I'm going to do something else for a while.

Good bye.

3 Likes

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 10:51pm On May 24, 2013
maclatunji:

Why should they be salty when the ocean does not flow INTO them? I'm confused as to what exactly you meant by this response.

1 Like

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by ayobase(m): 11:52pm On May 24, 2013
musKeeto:
You made a claim, I ask for a source, and you ask me to prove you otherwise.

Good Christian thinking.

Don't bother wasting Bytes on this...just open ur Encarta....its simple. Tell me what u see!

N.B: its obvious!
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by maclatunji: 11:54pm On May 24, 2013
davidylan:

Why should they be salty when the ocean does not flow INTO them? I'm confused as to what exactly you meant by this response.

Hahahaha
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by ayobase(m): 12:01am On May 25, 2013
Misunderstood_G: Abeg ooo, I've been asking myself this question for a very long time... Is seun a muslim or an atheist

Certainly not a christian. With the fact of the mistake he made w.r.t one of the rules governing NL (Religion)
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by PhysicsQED(m): 4:57am On May 25, 2013
The verses about freshwater vs. saltwater "seas" seem to just be about the two groups of water being kept separate (apparently by God's will) when in large quantities ('seas'), not about freshwater and saltwater never being able to mix or being unable to mix even when both quantities are small. The use of the term "barrier" could be a reference to a salt-wedge estuary that some people noticed/discovered back then (see http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/education/kits/estuaries/media/supp_estuar05a_wedge.html for a summary of salt-wedge estuaries) and maybe those people assumed that the "barrier" (a boundary, really) observed at this type of estuary was how fresh water "seas" stayed separate from salt water "seas", or it could just have been a guess without doing any investigation.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by truthislight: 8:13am On May 25, 2013
musKeeto: I got this from some religious book. Can't remember which one.

Job 36:32 He fills his hands with lightning and commands it to strike its mark.

Kjv

"With clouds he covereth the light; and commandeth it not to shine by the cloud that cometh betwixt." (Job 36:32).

Smh for deceit.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by mazaje(m): 9:01am On May 25, 2013
truthislight:

Kjv

"With clouds he covereth the light; and commandeth it not to shine by the cloud that cometh betwixt." (Job 36:32).

Smh for deceit.

Who are you shaking your self for and who is into the deciet?. . .The people that translated the bible or what?. . .Hope you know that there are over 15 different english translation of the bible and many of them give different passages very different meanings?. . .By the way the passage he posted is from the New International Version(NIV). . .SMH at your own failure. . .
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by turnstoner(m): 10:56am On May 25, 2013
Evil Brain:

Gaddemmit!!! The Nile and Amazon flow into the gaddem ocean. And then the water mixes, inside the gaddem ocean. The river water doesnt get salty because no ocean water is entering the river. The water is flowing in the opposite gaddem direction.

If someone was to pour some ocean water into the river, then the waters will mix and the river will get saltier as the salt is diluted through the whole body of water. This happens because there is no gaddem barrier.

I edited my last post. Please read it and stop posting this nonsense here. It is morally wrong, and very annoying.

I'm tired of talking to you. You make me fear for the future of Nigeria. I'm going to do something else for a while.

Good bye.

Hey, @evil,
why do you suffer fools so gladly?!
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by turnstoner(m): 10:59am On May 25, 2013
maclatunji:

O my Gad!

sombory is pouring milk into my coffee grin

Help!
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by EvilBrain1(m): 11:30am On May 25, 2013
turnstoner:

Hey, @evil,
why do you suffer fools so gladly?!

Sorry!

I'm trying to stop but bad habits die hard.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by maclatunji: 1:26pm On May 25, 2013
davidylan:

And why is this so?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 1:57pm On May 25, 2013
Religion and science are basically two in the same.
However radicals and separatists from both sides have played tug of war
thus separating what was once a beautiful union in a childish "us against them" fight.

2 Likes

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 1:58pm On May 25, 2013
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by mazaje(m): 2:09pm On May 25, 2013
*Kails*:
thus separating what was once a beautiful union in a childish "us against them" fight.

They are not the same. Primarily science deals with testing and observation, religion relies on faith primarily. . .

3 Likes

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by maclatunji: 2:32pm On May 25, 2013
*Kails*:

Word! Never mind the so-called 'Atheists'. It is impossible to live without believing in your creator.

You can only lie to yourself that you don't believe.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by mazaje(m): 2:35pm On May 25, 2013
maclatunji:

Word! Never mind the so-called 'Atheists'. It is impossible to live without believing in your creator.

You can only lie to yourself that you don't believe.

Believe that Mohammed ascended into heaven on the back of a wing beast or that Jesus ascended to heaven as the son of god?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 2:41pm On May 25, 2013
*Kails*:

not true.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by maclatunji: 3:12pm On May 25, 2013
mazaje:

Believe that Mohammed ascended into heaven on the back of a wing beast or that Jesus ascended to heaven as the son of god?

You cannot believe that anyone is the 'son of God' and still remain a Muslim. The least you can do is know Islam before trying to oppose it.

As for Prophet Muhammad's trip, you have a problem with it? #Pele. Take this as panadol for your headache http://www.islamicity.com/articles/articles.asp?ref=ic0608-3086
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Niflheim(m): 3:13pm On May 25, 2013
@Seun,fantastic post!!!....................................@Evil Brain, you are truly a genius!!!
And for the religious folk who have brains but cannot use them,check out the following links:Hardin Co. church destroyed by lightning strike to be rebuilt ...
www.whas11.com/.../Hardin-Co-church-destroyed-by-lightning-strike-to...
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Niflheim(m): 3:15pm On May 25, 2013
Anopther link for those whose brains have undergone a process known as "mumufication!!!".............................................Owensboro KY Church Destroyed by Lightening Bolt, hm Strange ...
► 6:45► 6:45
www.youtube.com/watch?v=htlWqnEjUlM
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by gothrones(m): 3:12am On May 26, 2013
mazaje: They are not the same. Primarily science deals with testing and observation, religion relies on faith primarily. . .
Gbam!
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by gothrones(m): 3:13am On May 26, 2013
*Kails*:

What are you smoking? There is no such thing as faith in science. It deals primarily with evidence!
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by gothrones(m): 3:20am On May 26, 2013
Caracta: Like seriously? Smh...

What do you disagree with?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Do People's Mouth Smell During Fasting / SEX SCANDAL: Husband Writes Bishop Oyedepo, 'your Pastor Has Snatched My Wife'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.