Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,901 members, 7,810,462 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:30 AM

Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! (7619 Views)

Lightning Kills Women In Church In Imo (photo) / The Great Debate- Is God Alive?..atheism Vs Religion / Lightning Strikes As Pope Benedict Resigns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 11:48pm On May 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

It implies that men are free moral beings who can justify their actions in any pretext (e.g the Bible). If some of God's rules can be proven unjust then they can be done away with (as you said meant applied to deists). All I say is based on what I've read in the Bible. I note you ignore the problem of hell.

Why bother? Are you forced to follow the "unjust" rules?

Uyi Iredia:
It means there's nothing to Christianity that prevents its adherents from being immoral.

Ok so?

Uyi Iredia:
You said deists want to eat their cake and have it. This implies greed. I replied by pointing out how the same goes for Christians. I didn't say you conflated 'the two'.

No actually it means you cant have two conflicting things at the same time. Nothing to do with greed. Many of you clearly post without understanding what it is exactly you are responding to.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 12:50am On May 31, 2013
davidylan:

Why bother? Are you forced to follow the "unjust" rules?

And the relevance ?

davidylan: Ok so?

So stop insinuating deists have no precedent for their rejection of the Bible.

davidylan: No actually it means you cant have two conflicting things at the same time. Nothing to do with greed. Many of you clearly post without understanding what it is exactly you are responding to.

Okay. Then you should note that a desire or wish for the afterlife doesn't conflict with following God's rules. That and the fact that not all deists have the desire you stated.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 4:46am On May 31, 2013
Uyi Iredia:
So stop insinuating deists have no precedent for their rejection of the Bible.

huh? I have no idea where you got such an impression from.

Uyi Iredia:
Okay. Then you should note that a desire or wish for the afterlife doesn't conflict with following God's rules. That and the fact that not all deists have the desire you stated.

who said it did? you clearly didnt understand the figure of speech so obviously you didnt get the point.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 4:07pm On May 31, 2013
davidylan:
huh? I have no idea where you got such an impression from.

Okay. So do you think deists don't have a good reason to reject the Bible ?

davidylan: who said it did? you clearly didnt understand the figure of speech so obviously you didnt get the point.

Then what 2 conflicting things were you referring to ?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 4:10pm On May 31, 2013
Pastor AIO:

ish. I say ish cos I do speculate about the gardener, though I bear in mind that my speculations and concepts can be confounded at anytime. However I am totally committed to having the best time possible in the garden.

Ah ! The pursuit of happiness. Splendid !
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 4:11pm On May 31, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Okay. So do you think deists don't have a good reason to reject the Bible ?

Why should i care? Its their choice.

Uyi Iredia:
Then what 2 conflicting things were you referring to ?

I dont care about "God" but i expect to be in the good place in the afterlife anyway... if not God must be bad!
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 5:41pm On May 31, 2013
davidylan:

Why should i care? Its their choice.

Then why the original comment ?

davidylan: I dont care about "God" but i expect to be in the good place in the afterlife anyway... if not God must be bad!

More like I belive in 'God' and hope there's a good afterlife. Besides sone don't even belive there is. Could you now state how my previous comment misunderstood your 'figure of speech' ?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by jango99(m): 5:45pm On May 31, 2013
maclatunji:

Yeah, like science gave you infant formula, only for science to realise later that breastfeeding human babies by their mothers is best as prescribed in the Qur'an 1400
years ago.

God be he blessed and exalted says: (The
mothers shall give suck to their children
for two whole years, (that is) for those
(parents) who desire to complete the term
of suckling) [Surat al-Baqarah, verse: 233].

http://kaheel7.com/eng/index.php/miracles-for-kids/272-breastfeeding-for-two-full-years
science has NEVER said that infant formulas are better than breast milk. It is because of babies who have busy mums or no mothers at all that infant formulas got made. Sometimes, not everything is being made to disprove religion.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 12:17am On Jun 01, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Then why the original comment ?

Sorry i didnt realize we now had a comment police.

Uyi Iredia:
More like I belive in 'God' and hope there's a good afterlife. Besides sone don't even belive there is. Could you now state how my previous comment misunderstood your 'figure of speech' ?

And why do you think you should be allowed into that afterlife?

1 Like

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 3:05am On Jun 01, 2013
davidylan:

Sorry i didnt realize we now had a comment police.

meaning ? And how does this answer the question.

davidylan: And why do you think you should be allowed into that afterlife?

Who wants your afterlife. People have been describing afterlifes before Christianity.

2 Likes

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by maclatunji: 8:06am On Jun 01, 2013
mazaje:

It doesnt even say anything exploded from anything. . .Just that the universe began to expand from a singularity. . .A singularity is not nothing. . .What the singularity is , scientist claim they do not know yet. . .

Hahahaha
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 8:41am On Jun 01, 2013
maclatunji:

Hahahaha

grin grin grin grin
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jun 01, 2013
Uyi Iredia:
Who wants your afterlife. People have been describing afterlifes before Christianity.

Nobody asked you to be in the christian afterlife... its your choice. Enjoy.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by gothrones(m): 5:50pm On Jun 01, 2013
^
Seriously? When you guys knock on our doors to force Christianity down our throats, what do you call that? I don't see any Muslims or Buddhists vehemently trying to persuade others that they should live how they do. Only Christians do that. If you folks left us alone, we wouldn't have all these debates. Na busybody dey worry una.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 5:53pm On Jun 01, 2013
gothrones: ^
Seriously? When you guys knock on our doors to force Christianity down our throats, what do you call that? I don't see any Muslims or Buddhists vehemently trying to persuade others that they should live how they do. Only Christians do that. If you folks left us alone, we wouldn't have all these debates. Na busybody dey worry una.
Ignorance.. Christians only preach to you how to get there.. Its your choice if you accept it or not.. Davidylan, I'm following you.. I got some things to learn from you.
Ps: An atheist started this thread..
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by gothrones(m): 6:01pm On Jun 01, 2013
Misunderstood_G: Ignorance.. Christians only preach to you how to get there..

And I laugh at them. To believe in a place where you have never been and have no proof of is akin to acute mental illness. Other folks also have their versions of the afterlife, so what makes yours more valid than theirs?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 6:02pm On Jun 01, 2013

You are being disingenuous:

1. Go up to Kano and claim that muslims dont force you to live as they do. The only reason you are not bowing down to allah and facing sharia law in the south is because of the strong opposition of southern christians whose large population provides you the freedom you so glibly dismiss.

2. Christians may knock your door but they certainly do not force christianity down your throat. I have had to kindly turn people away from my door and they dont put a gun to my head to read the bible.

3. Dishonesty appears to be the hallmark of goons like you.

1 Like

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by gothrones(m): 6:15pm On Jun 01, 2013
^
You have successfully made a fool out of yourself. I am an atheist, so why would living in Kano be a problem for me? Will the Muslims force me to pray to Allah? Will they knock on my doors, open the Koran, and tell me that Mohammed loves me? I doubt that. When Christians knock on your door and try to sell their religion to you, that is akin to forcing it down your throat. We don't want your garbage. Go to a mental hospital and seek help. It is not as if what you are practicing is working for you. Nigeria is a case in point.

If your religion was that awesome, you needn't preach it. People will see it!

Of all the religions in the world, the only one that Christians can claim to be better than is Islam. And that is not saying much.

1 Like

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jun 01, 2013
You have successfully made a fool out of yourself. I am an atheist, so why would living in Kano be a problem for me? Will the Muslims force me to pray to Allah? Will they knock on my doors, open the Koran, and tell me that Mohammed loves me? I doubt that. When Christians knock on your door and try to sell their religion to you, that is akin to forcing it down your throat. We don't want your garbage. Go to a mental hospital and seek help. It is not as if what you are practicing is working for you. Nigeria is a case in point.

Try maiduguri for size. Come back and tell us how "free" you truly were to proclaim your lack of faith. Unfortunately cowards like you hide from muslims, avoid islamic threads... only to bawl at christians knowing full well that no one will harass you... rather you get to rant and insult them freely while whining about intolerance of course.

gothrones:
If your religion was that awesome, you needn't preach it. People will see it!

that's silly. we choose to exercise the freedom to talk about our faith. you should exercise your right to refuse to hear about it or even come near religious sections (begs the question as an atheist).

gothrones:
Of all the religions in the world, the only one that Christians can claim to be better than is Islam. And that is not saying much. Hey look at us, we are better than these bomb-loving retards.

We make no such claims... you are not forced to be religious...
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by gothrones(m): 6:39pm On Jun 01, 2013
davidylan: Try maiduguri for size. Come back and tell us how "free" you truly were to proclaim your lack of faith. Unfortunately cowards like you hide from muslims, avoid islamic threads... only to bawl at christians knowing full well that no one will harass you... rather you get to rant and insult them freely while whining about intolerance of course.
I find it interesting that you have specifically chosen to single out Muslims. Not Atheists! Not Buddhists! Not Hindis! Not even traditionalists or idol worshipers! Atheist don't blow up folks. Saying I am a coward for choosing not to live amongst stone age men is analogous to faulting me for not living with lions. What did I tell you about making foolish assumptions? I don't avoid Islamic threads; I have abandoned the section because of the inordinate bans and post hiding. Make no mistake, I believe that you retards are marginally better than Muslims, but that is not an achievement, for it doesn't take much to better than they are. In fact, it almost doesn't take anything.

davidylan: that's silly. we choose to exercise the freedom to talk about our faith. you should exercise your right to refuse to hear about it or even come near religious sections (begsraises the question as an atheist).
This is an online forum, so the issue of privacy is void. You honestly can't compare a public forum to a real life setting. Besides, so many religious nuts--including your "humble" self--create threads that directly invite atheists

In your church, that is fine. Amongst yourselves, that is awesome. Just stop pestering people by invading their privacy.

We make no such claims... you are not forced to be religious...
Implicitly, you do! I haven't heard anyone say, "Atheists are cowards. They will never insult Buddhists..." You use Muslims to remind us that life could be worse.

2 Likes

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jun 01, 2013
gothrones:
I find it interesting that you have specifically chosen to single out Muslims. Not Atheists! Not Buddhists! Not Hindis! Not even traditionalists or idol worshipers! Atheist don't blow up folks. Saying I am a coward for choosing not to live amongst stone age men is analogous to faulting me for not living with lions. What did I tell you about making foolish assumptions? I don't avoid Islamic threads; I have abandoned the section because of the inordinate bans and post hiding. Make no mistake, I believe that you retards are marginally better than Muslims, but that is not an achievement, for it doesn't take much to better than they are. In fact, it almost doesn't take anything.

That's quite funny because you were the first to bring up the christian-muslim comparison. Please read your last post before making invalid statements.

gothrones:
This is an online forum, so the issue of privacy is void. You honestly can't compare a public forum to a real life setting. Besides, so many religious nuts--including your "humble" self--create threads that directly invite atheists

Again more incomprehensible nonsense. Read my post again... i didnt raise the issue of PRIVACY but of CHOICE.

gothrones:
In your church, that is fine. Amongst yourselves, that is awesome. Just stop pestering people by invading their privacy.

Idiocy. you have the right and choice to turn christians away from your door so you can continue enjoying your privacy. It is a matter of choice.

gothrones:
Implicitly, you do! I haven't heard anyone say, "Atheists are cowards. They will never insult Buddhists..." You use Muslims to remind us that life could be worse.

Quite daft. Saying muslims are violent is compelling you to join christianity?

1 Like

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 3:25pm On Jun 02, 2013
davidylan:

Nobody asked you to be in the christian afterlife... its your choice. Enjoy.

People have. I still get pamphlets offering me a shot at heaven through means we both already know. The Christian afterlife isn't bad though but sex isn't mentioned. In fact it is implied it isn't there. Muslim afterlife . . . grin
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 02, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

People have. I still get pamphlets offering me a shot at heaven through means we both already know. The Christian afterlife isn't bad though but sex isn't mentioned. In fact it is implied it isn't there. Muslim afterlife . . . grin

Ignore them. To read the pamphlets is not by force. I wonder why that is an issue. You have a dustbin no?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 5:15pm On Jun 02, 2013
davidylan:

Ignore them. To read the pamphlets is not by force. I wonder why that is an issue. You have a dustbin no?
grin
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 1:25am On Jun 04, 2013
davidylan:

@ bolded: Just to correct your impression that nobody offers it to me.

And I do throw them away.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 1:25am On Jun 04, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

@ bolded: Just to correct your impression that nobody offers it to me.

And I do throw them away.

ok good.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by bambuzz88: 4:53pm On Jun 29, 2013
Evil Brain:

Wishful thinking? Every single time in history that religion and science have disagreed, religion has always lost. So I'd like to know what makes you think religion is ever going to supercede anything.

never underestimate the power of stupid ppll in large groups.....albert einstein

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Do People's Mouth Smell During Fasting / SEX SCANDAL: Husband Writes Bishop Oyedepo, 'your Pastor Has Snatched My Wife'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.