Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,927 members, 7,810,562 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:11 AM

Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! (7623 Views)

Lightning Kills Women In Church In Imo (photo) / The Great Debate- Is God Alive?..atheism Vs Religion / Lightning Strikes As Pope Benedict Resigns (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 2:02pm On May 29, 2013
musKeeto:

You can't refer to a 'you' before birth. Except you believe in souls and the like...
You can. Before birth you were a fetus in the womb.by Uyi

@2nd bolded: Suicide?
Please endeavour to take this option and offer it to people around you so, you can prove to yourself that you are in control of your life
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 2:07pm On May 29, 2013
I don't understand Deists... Why would you create something and you gonna have nothing to do with it after creation?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by mazaje(m): 2:29pm On May 29, 2013
I.Joan:
Someone educate me on Mind and Consciousness?

I don't understand Deists... Why would you create something and you gonna have nothing to do with it after creation?

Does the world around you look like the one any god intervenes in?. . .They make their conclusions based on what they observe and see around them. . .
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 4:09pm On May 29, 2013
Yes! That's why there are exception to all rules because The One who created the rules toys with it sometimes.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by mazaje(m): 4:19pm On May 29, 2013
I.Joan:
Yes! That's why there are exception to all rules because The One who created the rules toys with it sometimes.

By interference am not referring to some vague concepts like toying with rules, I am talking about a god that exerts influence in the world that can be see just as we read in the bible. . .For example a god that answers prayers. . .Do you believe in a god that answers the prayers of those that believe in him? If yes then where is there no such evidence?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 5:59pm On May 29, 2013
I.Joan:
Someone educate me on Mind and Consciousness?

I'll suggest you read about it yourself. Google is your friend. Put very simply, deists, like theists believe that there is a being (a Creator) responsible for the origin of the universe. They don't (believe in or) believe it's the Christian or Muslim God because they note a clear lack of evidence for the Christian God (like atheists). As such they believe arguments made for the Christian God (and its attributes e.g wanting praise or prayer, or disliking gays) are gross extrapolations from the data.

A simple analogy. 3 people enter a garden full of flowers. One person says there must be a gardener (deist). The other says there is a gardener, the gardener likes cookies and is always present with the flowers (theist e.g Muslims). The last person says he sees no gardener so there is none (atheist)

Interesting point. Some deists have beliefs that come close to Christianity (such as prayer with God as they understand, belief that man is a spiritual being etc)

This is deism in a nutshell.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 6:06pm On May 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I'll suggest you read about it yourself. Google is your friend. Put very simply, deists, like theists believe that there is a being (a Creator) responsible for the origin of the universe. They don't (believe in or) believe it's the Christian or Muslim God because they note a clear lack of evidence for the Christian God (like atheists). As such they believe arguments made for the Christian God (and its attributes e.g wanting praise or prayer, or disliking gays) are gross extrapolations from the data.

A simple analogy. 3 people enter a garden full of flowers. One person says there must be a gardener (deist). The other says there is a gardener, the gardener likes cookies and is always present with the flowers (theist e.g Muslims). The last person says he sees no gardener so there is none (atheist)

Interesting point. Some deists have beliefs that come close to Christianity (such as prayer with God as they understand, belief that man is a spiritual being etc)

This is deism in a nutshell.

And the agnost? grin
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 6:56pm On May 29, 2013
musKeeto:

And the agnost? grin

Says there isn't insufficient evidence to say there is a gardener. Like the atheist doesn't believe there's a gardener. But I thought you were saying you were kind of a deist.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 7:00pm On May 29, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Says there isn't insufficient evidence to say there is a gardener. Like the atheist doesn't believe there's a gardener. But I thought you were saying you were kind of a deist.
Men, just testing each before I settle.. Better an open mind than a closed one anyways.. But I sense I'm moving towards deism everyday. My mind's been dwelling on the origin of life and consciousness. Maybe, we have the wrong concept of GOD.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by EvilBrain1(m): 11:03pm On May 29, 2013
musKeeto:

And the agnost? grin

Agnostics are atheists. There is no shame in admitting you are not sure. Especially since it is impossible to disprove something when nobody can even agree what its properties are. Agnostics are simply being honest with themselves.

I've said here in the past that atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive, but simply answer different questions. If you ask "Is there a god?" then the answer is "probably not, there's no evidence of one but I can't be totally sure some won't turn up in the future". If you ask "Do you believe in god?" then is answer is a definite no.

Deists are similar to atheists in the sense that they recognize that the judeochristian/Muslim god doesn't exist. But they still insist that some sort of deity must still exist even though they aren't sure what it looks or acts like. I dont know whether its because they want to believe that the universe has a purpose. Or maybe they find it hard to let go of the stuff they were indoctrinated with in childhood.

I suspect that many deists are on their way to becoming atheists. Like they're slowly lowering themselves into a cold swimming pool instead jumping in all at once. I went though the process once so I understand how it feels.

Plus since deists are more tolerant, less fanatical and less annoying than regular religious people, I can't say I have any problem with them.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by mazaje(m): 11:10pm On May 29, 2013
Of all the god ideas men have created, the deist idea remains the best to me. . .I don't have any problem with the deist idea or concept of god. . .It has its problem like all the god ideas but that idea is cool and the best of all the god ideas created by men. .
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 12:30am On May 30, 2013
mazaje: Of all the god ideas men have created, the deist idea remains the best to me. . .I don't have any problem with the deist idea or concept of god. . .It has its problem like all the god ideas but that idea is cool and the best of all the god ideas created by men. .

the deist idea only appears "good" to those who want to eat their cake and have it. i.e. they love the idea of a God who doesnt give them any rules but they still want to get to heaven if one exists.

3 Likes

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 3:13am On May 30, 2013
davidylan:

the deist idea only appears "good" to those who want to eat their cake and have it. i.e. they love the idea of a God who doesnt give them any rules but they still want to get to heaven if one exists.

The way Christianity appeals to some because of the prospect of entering an utopia not DEFINITELY proven to exist. They love the idea of heaven and live morally loose lives on earth. I certainly hope you won't try to rebut this by pretending these elements aren't Christians.

1 Like

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 3:14am On May 30, 2013
@ Evil Brain: Why didn't you reply me ?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 3:52am On May 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

The way Christianity appeals to some because of the prospect of entering an utopia not DEFINITELY proven to exist. They love the idea of heaven and live morally loose lives on earth. I certainly hope you won't try to rebut this by pretending these elements aren't Christians.

This response really befuddles me. What did it have to do with my response?

People who claim to be christians live morally corrupt lives... and how does that invalidate the clear principles of the bible?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 4:31am On May 30, 2013
davidylan:

This response really befuddles me. What did it have to do with my response?

People who claim to be christians live morally corrupt lives... and how does that invalidate the clear principles of the bible?

You implied deists want to go the heaven without believing the respective God (who gives rules). I point out that some Christians want to go to heaven whilst living loose lives (ignoring the same rules). I didn't claim that it invalidated clear principles. It was to highlight the problems with your statement.

1 Like

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 5:34am On May 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

You implied deists want to go the heaven without believing the respective God (who gives rules). I point out that some Christians want to go to heaven whilst living loose lives (ignoring the same rules). I didn't claim that it invalidated clear principles. It was to highlight the problems with your statement.

This makes no sense whatsoever.

Deists on the one hand dont believe a good God should send them to hell even though they absolutely refuse to be bound by His rules nor do they feel they even need to bother with acknowledging him.

christians who live immoral lives do so as a matter of choice, knowing full well the consequences. They have only themselves to blame.

The issues at stake here are as clear as day... but of course i am aware that you need to doggedly hold on to a non-argument just so you are the last to post.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 5:50am On May 30, 2013
^^^^^
Sounds similar to the 'Islam is perfect, Muslims are not' argument...
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 5:54am On May 30, 2013
musKeeto: ^^^^^
Sounds similar to the 'Islam is perfect, Muslims are not' argument...

Actually not if you bothered to read deeper than mere words on a screen grab.
The point is quite simple, the hope of eternal life is a gift that comes with clearly laid down rules/codes of conduct. It is your choice to follow them or not...

An analogy... getting a high school degree is free for all but can only be achieved by passing a set of standard exams. You have a choice to ignore the rules... the consequence is you get no degree. No one to blame but yourself.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 6:16am On May 30, 2013
davidylan:

This makes no sense whatsoever.

I see !

davidylan:
Deists on the one hand dont believe a good God should send them to hell even though they absolutely refuse to be bound by His rules nor do they feel they even need to bother with acknowledging him.

His rules are open to various interpretations. This is well-documented in church history. Some in the OT are manifestly evil. Of course, you won't see this. If a paren't flogged the child indefinitely for an offence, you wouldn't endorse it. But for God, you've seared your conscience as to evil (a 'good' God) would make people suffer forever in hell.

davidylan:
christians who live immoral lives do so as a matter of choice, knowing full well the consequences. They have only themselves to blame.

Some don't even bother about the consequences. Some don't even believe they are immoral. Some fall intonthe category you stated. Just note these are Christians who don't play by God's rules.

davidylan:
The issues at stake here are as clear as day... but of course i am aware that you need to doggedly hold on to a non-argument just so you are the last to post.

What is clear here is that Christians share the same vices you proposed applies to deists. I think you should search yourself whilst admonishing others. I have made points respond to them. That helps one think and articulate himself better.

1 Like

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 6:28am On May 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:
His rules are open to various interpretations. This is well-documented in church history. Some in the OT are manifestly evil. Of course, you won't see this. If a paren't flogged the child indefinitely for an offence, you wouldn't endorse it. But for God, you've seared your conscience as to evil (a 'good' God) would make people suffer forever in hell.

and this is relevant because? Feel free to ignore the bible... reading it is not by force.

Uyi Iredia:
Some don't even bother about the consequences. Some don't even believe they are immoral. Some fall intonthe category you stated. Just note these are Christians who don't play by God's rules.

and? We should worry about the free choices they make because?

Uyi Iredia:
What is clear here is that Christians share the same vices you proposed applies to deists. I think you should search yourself whilst admonishing others. I have made points respond to them. That helps one think and articulate himself better.

This is nonsense because i did not attribute a "vice" to deists.

I simply differentiated between the deist and the immoral christian. The deist believes a "god" (whoever he is) exists but does not want to be bothered by following any rules he/she might have... the immoral christian BELIEVES that JESUS is but makes the conscious choice to break His rules fully cognizant of the consequences. where have i conflated the two?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by ijawkid(m): 6:57am On May 30, 2013
musKeeto:
Men, just testing each before I settle.. Better an open mind than a closed one anyways.. But I sense I'm moving towards deism everyday. My mind's been dwelling on the origin of life and consciousness. Maybe, we have the wrong concept of GOD.

Let me dance azonto......muskeeto on the move.......cheesy....

Leave that LB,mazaje,pleatton.thehomer,ooman etc group alone......cheesy.......
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by EvilBrain1(m): 7:43am On May 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia: @ Evil Brain: Why didn't you reply me ?

Sorry. The posts were getting too long and too tedious to write. Plus I've been busy.

Besides, you said you're not a creationist anymore so you're not really the enemy. My problem is not with creationists per se, but with the irrational, bible centred way they think.

Evolution is a big idea with huge implications and its perfectly natural to be skeptical of it at first. You've shown enough signs here that you can think rationally so I'm pretty sure you'll come round to accepting it eventually. No need for me to grind you into submission.

I might still post a reply after work today though.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 10:18am On May 30, 2013
Evil Brain:

Sorry. The posts were getting too long and too tedious to write. Plus I've been busy.

Besides, you said you're not a creationist anymore so you're not really the enemy. My problem is not with creationists per se, but with the irrational, bible centred way they think.

Evolution is a big idea with huge implications and its perfectly natural to be skeptical of it at first. You've shown enough signs here that you can think rationally so I'm pretty sure you'll come round to accepting it eventually. No need for me to grind you into submission.

I might still post a reply after work today though.

The theory is a total non-starter. Don't give yourself too much hope.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by PastorAIO: 11:14am On May 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

There is a dude there too that entered the garden and thought, 'wow, what a wonderful Garden!!! How best can I enjoy this garden?', and did not waste his time speculating fruitlessly on the existence of a gardener and what the tastes of the gardener may be for biscuits or foreign women.
Though he acknowledged the existence of a Gardener he also realised the pointlessness of creating ideas about the Gardener.

2 Likes

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by PastorAIO: 11:16am On May 30, 2013
musKeeto:

I feel that we can't help but have the wrong concept of God, All of the Time. If our fellow man can confound us in all our expectations and beliefs of him then how much more so with God.
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 11:23am On May 30, 2013
Pastor AIO:

There is a dude there too that entered the garden and thought, 'wow, what a wonderful Garden!!! How best can I enjoy this garden?', and did not waste his time speculating fruitlessly on the existence of a gardener and what the tastes of the gardener may be for biscuits or foreign women.
Though he acknowledged the existence of a Gardener he also realised the pointlessness of creating ideas about the Gardener.

Does that describe you ?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by PastorAIO: 12:06pm On May 30, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Does that describe you ?

ish. I say ish cos I do speculate about the gardener, though I bear in mind that my speculations and concepts can be confounded at anytime. However I am totally committed to having the best time possible in the garden.

1 Like

Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 12:12pm On May 30, 2013
Pastor AIO:

Ah.....
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by mazaje(m): 5:57pm On May 30, 2013
davidylan:

Which rules exactly?. . .The idea of heaven sounds nice, but many deist do not even believe in heaven, so the claim that they want to go to heaven is false. . .How can they want to go to heaven when they do not believe it exist?. . .Many deist just believe god created and that is all. . .No after life (heaven, reincanations etc)and all of the other ideas men created along side their various religions. . .The deist concept agrees with the reality we see around us. . .
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by Nobody: 11:04pm On May 30, 2013
mazaje:

Which rules exactly?. . .The idea of heaven sounds nice, but many deist do not even believe in heaven, so the claim that they want to go to heaven is false. . .How can they want to go to heaven when they do not believe it exist?. . .Many deist just believe god created and that is all. . .No after life (heaven, reincanations etc)and all of the other ideas men created along side their various religions. . .The deist concept agrees with the reality we see around us. . .

you seem confused. Worrying about rules in one sentence then heaven in the other. Which is it?
Re: Lightning Strikes: Science vs Religion! by UyiIredia(m): 11:38pm On May 30, 2013
davidylan:

and this is relevant because? Feel free to ignore the bible... reading it is not by force.

It implies that men are free moral beings who can justify their actions in any pretext (e.g the Bible). If some of God's rules can be proven unjust then they can be done away with (as you said meant applied to deists). All I say is based on what I've read in the Bible. I note you ignore the problem of hell.

davidylan: and? We should worry about the free choices they make because?

It means there's nothing to Christianity that prevents its adherents from being immoral.

davidylan: This is nonsense because i did not attribute a "vice" to deists.

I simply differentiated between the deist and the immoral christian. The deist believes a "god" (whoever he is) exists but does not want to be bothered by following any rules he/she might have... the immoral christian BELIEVES that JESUS is but makes the conscious choice to break His rules fully cognizant of the consequences. where have i conflated the two?

You said deists want to eat their cake and have it. This implies greed. I replied by pointing out how the same goes for Christians. I didn't say you conflated 'the two'.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Questions About Religion For The Deep Thinker / Why Do People's Mouth Smell During Fasting / SEX SCANDAL: Husband Writes Bishop Oyedepo, 'your Pastor Has Snatched My Wife'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.