Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:24 PM

After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA (2828 Views)

Nigerians Have Lost Core Values Of Life – Jonathan / Many Nigerians Drown En-route Spain – Bianca Ojukwu / How Many Nigerians Live Outside Of Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by AngelicaDivine(f): 5:01am On May 28, 2013
A few weeks ago, telecoms giant MTN wowed us with their ‘I don port’ ad featuring popular comedian Saka. If you’re new in this clime, Saka is a popular comedian who had featured on several Etisalat ads making him a popular face of that brand (Etisalat is a competing telecoms provider).

In what popular writer Tolu Ogunlesi described as the “biggest coup since Sani Abacha in 1994”, we suddenly woke up to Saka announcing his cross over to MTN. The ad went viral, it got us talking, Facebook was awash with several caricature adaptations of Saka, twitter was agog, MTN and Saka trended for some days, with record views on YouTube. ‘Great ad,’ many of us said. I for one applauded the strategic thinking behind the ad. MTN and DDB (their advertising agency) I imagined must have pumped hands and popped champagne. Come LAIF (Lagos Advertising International Festival) in October, I’m sure they’ll pick not a few awards (in fact, a grandprix may not be far-fetched).
But now that the dust appears to be settling, the question I’m asking is how many of us really ported or will be willing to port? Statistics released by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) revealed that over 4,000 subscribers from the four GSM operators migrated with their lines to other operators, within 48 hours after the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) was launched on April 22. For a country with over 100 million mobile phone subscribers, this is number is minuscule. In addition, I have no encompassing data at the moment, but from asking people around me, no one has told me they knew someone who knew someone who has ported to MTN except Saka of course! Rather, there appears to be movement away from the yellow corner i.e based on findings from my circle of friends.

It’s still too early to judge, but from indications, it appears not many Nigerians may be interested in porting to the yellow corner after all. A number of reasons may abound, one being the availability of multiple SIM phones which ensured that many of us had more than one SIM to start with and the other reason being the generally poor level of service delivery across the industry (they are all same of same).

The whole point therefore is this; beyond great advertising, MTN needs to be able to show Nigerians what makes their network better (which by the way appears to be the path Etisalat is towing in their communication strategy). There has to be more investment in capacity to deliver. Glo recently announced the signing of a multi-billion naira deal with ZTE for facility upgrade and I’m wondering, beyond the comic act, what’s MTN’s superior offering?

It is classic capitalism, innovate or die…the consumer has to be king. Will I be better off on their network? DDB has pocketed their fee, Saka must be smiling to the bank, but this writer ain’t porting nowhere! Although one may reconsider if a similar ‘porting contract’ comes one’s way.
Source: http://infonigeria24.com/after-dancing-kirikata-kirikata-many-nigerians-have-not-ported-see-why-saka/

Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Nobody: 5:39am On May 28, 2013
Angelica Divine: A few weeks ago, telecoms giant MTN wowed us with their ‘I don port’ ad featuring popular comedian Saka. If you’re new in this clime, Saka is a popular comedian who had featured on several Etisalat ads making him a popular face of that brand (Etisalat is a competing telecoms provider).

In what popular writer Tolu Ogunlesi described as the “biggest coup since Sani Abacha in 1994”, we suddenly woke up to Saka announcing his cross over to MTN. The ad went viral, it got us talking, Facebook was awash with several caricature adaptations of Saka, twitter was agog, MTN and Saka trended for some days, with record views on YouTube. ‘Great ad,’ many of us said. I for one applauded the strategic thinking behind the ad. MTN and DDB (their advertising agency) I imagined must have pumped hands and popped champagne. Come LAIF (Lagos Advertising International Festival) in October, I’m sure they’ll pick not a few awards (in fact, a grandprix may not be far-fetched).
But now that the dust appears to be settling, the question I’m asking is how many of us really ported or will be willing to port? Statistics released by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) revealed that over 4,000 subscribers from the four GSM operators migrated with their lines to other operators, within 48 hours after the Mobile Number Portability (MNP) was launched on April 22. For a country with over 100 million mobile phone subscribers, this is number is minuscule. In addition, I have no encompassing data at the moment, but from asking people around me, no one has told me they knew someone who knew someone who has ported to MTN except Saka of course! Rather, there appears to be movement away from the yellow corner i.e based on findings from my circle of friends.

It’s still too early to judge, but from indications, it appears not many Nigerians may be interested in porting to the yellow corner after all. A number of reasons may abound, one being the availability of multiple SIM phones which ensured that many of us had more than one SIM to start with and the other reason being the generally poor level of service delivery across the industry (they are all same of same).

The whole point therefore is this; beyond great advertising, MTN needs to be able to show Nigerians what makes their network better (which by the way appears to be the path Etisalat is towing in their communication strategy). There has to be more investment in capacity to deliver. Glo recently announced the signing of a multi-billion naira deal with ZTE for facility upgrade and I’m wondering, beyond the comic act, what’s MTN’s superior offering?

It is classic capitalism, innovate or die…the consumer has to be king. Will I be better off on their network? DDB has pocketed their fee, Saka must be smiling to the bank, but this writer ain’t porting nowhere! Although one may reconsider if a similar ‘porting contract’ comes one’s way.

Source: http://infonigeria24.com/after-dancing-kirikata-kirikata-many-nigerians-have-not-ported-see-why-saka/

I hate backbiting !

1 Like

Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Mynd44: 5:45am On May 28, 2013
Why port when you can get a new sim? Is seems so......pointless

1 Like

Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by UyiIredia(m): 5:56am On May 28, 2013
Does porting allow one to use a SIM on 2 networks ?
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Nobody: 6:24am On May 28, 2013
I have been making plans to port from MTN to AIRTEL after the former wickedly removed 350 naira worth of airtime from my phone for no reason. I just tried to activate 25mb daily promo with 150 naira. Instead of the megabytes to be deducted as i browse, my airtime was the one being deducted leaving the megabytes. As soon as my airtime finished, the megabytes started reading. Imagine! I called their customer care and all they could tell me is "am sorry madam, it won't happen again ". mtscheeew!
Can someone please tell me how to port to AIRTEL? angry
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Nobody: 6:26am On May 28, 2013
Mynd_44: Why port when you can get a new sim? Is seems so......pointless

i wonder o!

i have 3 sim cards that im very comfortable with;
MTN: for calling only MTN lines
etisalat: for calling all non-MTN lines
Airtel: for data subscription

1 Like

Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by MaziOmenuko: 6:56am On May 28, 2013
The idea of MTN's advert may not be to persuade customers to port to MTN but to discourage their customers from porting to other networks.
I guess it really worked as MTN remains the biggest, largest and best (arguably) network.

No other network has giving me enough reason to dump my MTN sim card ot port out; they all have their issues, so I'd rather stick with the devil I know.

3 Likes

Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Nobody: 7:18am On May 28, 2013
careytommy:
i wonder o!

i have 3 sim cards that im very comfortable with;
MTN: for calling only MTN lines
etisalat: for calling all non-MTN lines
Airtel: for data subscription
You be badt guy, so you dey follow me for back abi grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Temismith(f): 7:26am On May 28, 2013
No be only port, na lag.undecided
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by azpekuliar: 7:26am On May 28, 2013
~Bluetooth:

I hate backbiting !

You didn't have to quote the damn thing!
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by ooofreezy(m): 7:43am On May 28, 2013
After quoting the whole page the only thing you have to say is you hate back bitting. huh!I think you need to visit them @ yaba left.oniranu
~Bluetooth:

I hate backbiting !

1 Like

Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by deor03(m): 7:52am On May 28, 2013
Multiple SIM ownership will not make MNP have a huge shift in Subscriber base of Opcos
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by badbros(m): 7:57am On May 28, 2013
berem: I have been making plans to port from MTN to AIRTEL after the former wickedly removed 350 naira worth of airtime from my phone for no reason. I just tried to activate 25mb daily promo with 150 naira. Instead of the megabytes to be deducted as i browse, my airtime was the one being deducted leaving the megabytes. As soon as my airtime finished, the megabytes started reading. Imagine! I called their customer care and all they could tell me is "am sorry madam, it won't happen again ". mtscheeew!

visit an airtel center to do it cus dey ar gonna give u a new sim but u stil get to retain ur old number
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by moderatorr: 8:07am On May 28, 2013
MTN is as good as f*ck.
nonsense network.
unable to connect
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Nobody: 8:16am On May 28, 2013
~Bluetooth:

I hate backbiting !
me too!!!

This is just an Article to rubbish the Effort of ''Saka and MTN .......!!!
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Nobody: 8:23am On May 28, 2013
badbros:
visit an airtel center to do it cus dey ar gonna give u a new sim but u stil get to retain ur old number
Thanks! will do just that. MTN sucks!
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Mustay(m): 8:25am On May 28, 2013
I'd rather spend NGN100 on a new sim than waste my time porting.

I had already said it before porting commenced, the steps for porting were too 'onerous' for the average Nigerian. Where are we porting too? Inefficiency
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by AjanleKoko: 8:33am On May 28, 2013
Hardly surprising that people aren't porting in droves.
Number portability worldwide has not affected more than 5% of the total cellphone user population, in most developed markets. The statistic is even lower in emerging markets similar to Nigeria, like SA, Ghana, and India.
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by aesola: 8:42am On May 28, 2013
berem: I have been making plans to port from MTN to AIRTEL after the former wickedly removed 350 naira worth of airtime from my phone for no reason. I just tried to activate 25mb daily promo with 150 naira. Instead of the megabytes to be deducted as i browse, my airtime was the one being deducted leaving the megabytes. As soon as my airtime finished, the megabytes started reading. Imagine! I called their customer care and all they could tell me is "am sorry madam, it won't happen again ". mtscheeew!

WALK INTO AIRTEL OFFICE NEAR YOU WITH UR ID CARD. DAZZ ALL
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by amAZEing: 8:44am On May 28, 2013
Modz kindly move to Phone Section. Thankls.

Angelica Divine: A few weeks ago, telecoms giant MTN wowed us with their ‘I don port’ ad featuring popular comedian Saka. If you’re new in this clime, Saka is a popular comedian who had featured on several Etisalat ads making him a popular face of that brand (Etisalat is a competing telecoms provider).

Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Nobody: 8:54am On May 28, 2013
ooofreezy: After quoting the whole page the only thing you have to say is you hate back bitting. huh!I think you need to visit them @ yaba left.oniranu
azpekuliar:

This is what you get when highly un-intelligent illiterates rush to quote.Can't you sicktards see the bolded in my post before you started talking nonsense ? And how does your moronic jargons contribute any meaning to the thread ?
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Kelvindwaplord(m): 9:02am On May 28, 2013
donroxy: me too!!!

This is just an Article to rubbish the Effort of ''Saka and MTN .......!!!

who is rubbishing the effort of saka and mtn here We're just trying to wonder why just 4000 nigerians out of over 100million of us ported......okayy , i think u should reread this article
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by omicron(m): 9:05am On May 28, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: The idea of MTN's advert may not be to persuade customers to port to MTN but to discourage their customers from porting to other networks.
I guess it really worked as MTN remains the biggest, largest and best (arguably) network.

No other network has giving me enough reason to dump my MTN sim card ot port out; they all have their issues, so I'd rather stick with the devil I know.
same here!
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by nenergy(m): 9:37am On May 28, 2013
Why aren't Nigerian 'PORTing'? Here's why!

Will Mobile Number Portability ‘WORK’ In Nigeria? I Don’t Think So! -
https://www.nairaland.com/1269338/mobile-number-portability-work-nigeria
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Segadem(m): 9:43am On May 28, 2013
Etisalat's agent
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by nenergy(m): 9:48am On May 28, 2013
berem: Thanks! will do just that. MTN sucks!
All networks suck, because they all have their 'weaknesses'. MTN happens to have a policy of compensation (refund for missing credits and service inconveniences). Atleast MTN customer care line works. With airtel you can be on line for 24hours. Good luck porting!
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by nenergy(m): 9:50am On May 28, 2013
Mazi_Omenuko: they all have their issues, so I'd rather stick with the devil I know.
You've spoken well!
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Mynd44: 10:00am On May 28, 2013
They miss the fact that if the steps are too cray people will just ignore it and stick to the age long tradition; breaking their sim and getting a new one
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Omobarca: 10:04am On May 28, 2013
azpekuliar:

abi oh!
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Nobody: 10:04am On May 28, 2013
nenergy:
All networks suck, because they all have their 'weaknesses'. MTN happens to have a policy of compensation (refund for missing credits and service inconveniences). Atleast MTN customer care line works. With airtel you can be on line for 24hours. Good luck porting!
Indeed, they have a policy for compensation and all they told me was "am sorry madam it won't happen again. " what rubbish? In my area, MTN sucks! Airtel is the best followed by Etisalat. Am porting because of Airtel data subscription which is the best so far. Can't buy Airtel sim when i have all the networks already. How many phones i wan carry for hand?

1 Like

Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by nenergy(m): 11:40am On May 28, 2013
berem: In my area, MTN sucks!
Well in my area, Airtel Sucks,MTN Works and Etisalat Rocks.lol Did you feel that rhyme?lol
Re: After Dancing Kirikata, Kirikata Many Nigerians Have Not Ported, See Why – SAKA by Zugwu: 12:57pm On May 28, 2013
Mynd_44: Why port when you can get a new sim? Is seems so......pointless
u get to retain ur old number if u port! If u get a new sim,u av to change numbers..imagine d inconvenience f avin to reach evryone on ur contact list informin dem of d numb change or d discomfort of carrying multiple phones

(1) (2) (Reply)

Adams Oshiomhole VS Peter Obi After 8 Years (PHOTOS) / Nigerians, Do U Want Nigeria Split Into Two Halfs Or United?? / Buhari Arrested And Stopped Alex Ekueme From Becoming President After Shagari!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.