Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,469 members, 7,819,716 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:33 PM

Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra (1673 Views)

Dimeji Bankole Celebrates His 46th Birthday Today! / Osinbajo At The 55th Anniversary Of NBA (Pics) / The Declaration Of Hon. Rotimi Amaechi As Governor Of Rivers State Is Wrong (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by odumchi: 4:44pm On May 30, 2013
Forty six years ago today, in Enugu, Nigeria, Dim Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu, declared the Republic of Biafra a separate and autonomous entity from the Federal Republic of Nigeria, as a result of the ethnic war being waged against the Igbo and other Eastern peoples. Biafra served as a safe haven for the over 9 million Igbo men, women and children who were threatened with genocide and violence, and for three years, it survived even though under constant international pressure from Nigeria and its allies. At the end of the war that ensued, two million Igbo men, women and children lay dead, victims of genocide in their bid for freedom. May we Nigerians today learn to never forget our past, but at the same time, strive harder for a future of peace, progress and liberty for all.

Umu Igbo taa bu ubochi eji echeta Biafra nihi na afo iri ano na isii gara aga na ubochi ta, Dim Ojukwu mehere obodo Biafra. Ana m ayo unu, na asi unu na unu biko tinye mkpuru obi ndi niile nwuru na agha Biafra na ekpere unu.

Ndeewo nu.

3 Likes

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by Nobody: 4:59pm On May 30, 2013
I'm not sure "celebrate" is the appropriate word for this context, but it does call for some sober reflection.

The issues that led to the Civil War are still very present in today's Nigeria, and are not even being discussed among our elite, much less tackled.

It's high time we asked some crucial questions: Questions like why the Aburi Accord wasn't implemented, why we have refused to reform the retrogressive patronage system that sees us sharing oil money at Abuja every month, why we still won't allow states and regions to integrate and control their resources and revenues, why we insist that states can't generate and distribute their own power, get their own police force, tax companies registered in their respective domains, exploit and derive revenue from resources contained in their own land.

We must reflect, ask questions and restructure this country. Nigeria is not working.

1 Like

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by odumchi: 8:36pm On May 30, 2013
HNosegbe: I'm not sure "celebrate" is the appropriate word for this context, but it does call for some sober reflection.

The issues that led to the Civil War are still very present in today's Nigeria, and are not even being discussed among our elite, much less tackled.

It's high time we asked some crucial questions: Questions like why the Aburi Accord wasn't implemented, why we have refused to reform the retrogressive patronage system that sees us sharing oil money at Abuja every month, why we still won't allow states and regions to integrate and control their resources and revenues, why we insist that states can't generate and distribute their own power, get their own police force, tax companies registered in their respective domains, exploit and derive revenue from resources contained in their own land.

We must reflect, ask questions and restructure this country. Nigeria is not working.

You've spoken well and have made serious points. It's a shame that our Nigeria has, in many areas, regressed over the years. The fact that the same catalysts that resulted in the secession of the Eastern Region are still present today calls for drastic self-reflection on the part of our leaders and power holders. My prayer is that our people should make sure to well-utilize the lessons learned, so that those who sacrificed their lives in its acquisition may not have done so in vain.
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by ijawcitizen(m): 8:46pm On May 30, 2013
This space has been booked by Ijaw citizen, the Ogbolotebepugha 1 of Ijawland.

1 Like

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by dayokanu(m): 8:51pm On May 30, 2013
Space reserved by Dayokanu Aare Ona Kakanfo of Nairaland and Proud townsman of Benjamin Babamaja Adekunle aka Black Scorpion aka ekun okoyibo

This space is not for sale beware of 419 and my badbelle neighbour Afam4ever. If you see him around here call OPC on him

7 Likes

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by PointB: 8:56pm On May 30, 2013
I think the most important lessons derived from the Civil War is: 'How not to prosecute a war' But given the circumstance then, declaring the Biafra as a sovereign state was the right call, and gallant were the men who sacrificed their lives that their families will have dignity, respect, and most importantly freedom.

Unfortunately, Nigeria learnt little or no lessons from the event, as evident from disinterest in having a proper dialogue, let alone addressing the issues the led to it.

Today drum beat of war sound loud in the desert and creeks, while secessionists cries grow louder by the day.
Sooner or later Nigeria will again be forced to confront these, having failed to do what is necessary to build a nation. Whether or not, Nigeria can successfully deal with ghost from it's past is yet to be seen.

1 Like

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by tomakint: 9:10pm On May 30, 2013
This is one of those events that was the beginning of a major epoch of Nigerian history! The biafran story reveals a lot about the conspiracy theory Nigeria is still enshrouded in till date! If I am to dedicate a book to the wasted innocent lives in that unfortunate war especially in memory of the over a million defenseless Biafran children and women it would be titled; 'The Biafran Story: The Plot, Lies and Cover-ups'! Gowon and his masters really have so many questions to answer cool
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by RedReact: 9:24pm On May 30, 2013
May we never experience war in the country and may the land always thrive in peace and prosperity.
Quite unfortunate that what happened took place in the country, but the truth is that so many of our leaders, whom we could have called statesmen, are looters only concerned with their own welfare and not the welfare of the citizenry.
At this point in our nation, we need visioneers; from southeast to southwest. People that will take the course of their respective nations and charter it towards a greater height.

Igbo Kwenu!!!
God bless the Igbo nation,
God bless the Nigeria.
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by Nobody: 9:25pm On May 30, 2013
Eze Odumchi, ndewo! kedu ka imere?

err, will be back when other igbo men and women have spoken. cool cool cool
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by anwani: 9:26pm On May 30, 2013
It is good. not to fotget this. day and also not to make the same mistake that was made fortysix years ago.. What we so call igbo need most now is economic development which start. with good education off the young .Today some of us talk about war. This next war will make the past war look like child play. Do you forgot about some people. droping their gun saying that. they not going to die in WAWA land.. Let think before. we jump.I know what iam talking about. I was there and i know how many members of my family that we lost .Let there be. cool head.

1 Like

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by odumchi: 9:29pm On May 30, 2013
berem: Eze Odumchi, ndewo! kedu ka imere?

err, will be back when other igbo men and women have spoken. cool cool cool

O di nma. Biko, akpola m Eze nihi o bughi mu bu eze.

anwani: It is good. not to fotget this. day and also not to make the same mistake that was made fortysix years ago.. What we so call igbo need most now is economic development which start. with good education off the young .Today some of us talk about war. This next war will make the past war look like child play. Do you forgot about some people. droping their gun saying that. they not going to die in WAWA land.. Let think before. we jump.I know what iam talking about. I was there and i know how many members of my family that we lost .Let there be. cool head.

O ka o si mee.
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:31pm On May 30, 2013
why has dayokanu's post not been hidden? It broke at least 8 nairaland rules and didn't even address the subject. I particularly find it offensive that he gloats all over the place about his kinsman that murdered defenseless igbo civilians but when we point out his kinsman that murdered a british soldier, our posts get hidden.
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by EkoAtlantic: 9:34pm On May 30, 2013
Can't forget those years when worries fled to french land as refugees.

*sob*

4 Likes

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by AlfaSeltzer(m): 9:38pm On May 30, 2013
RedReact: May we never experience war in the country and may the land always thrive in peace and prosperity.
Quite unfortunate that what happened took place in the country, but the truth is that so many of our leaders, whom we could have called statesmen, are looters only concerned with their own welfare and not the welfare of the citizenry.
At this point in our nation, we need visioneers; from southeast to southwest. People that will take the course of their respective nations and charter it towards a greater height.

Igbo Kwenu!!!
God bless the Igbo nation,
God bless the Nigeria.

The bolded is one of the mistakes anwani is talking about.

anwani: It is good. not to fotget this. day and also not to make the same mistake that was made fortysix years ago.. What we so call igbo need most now is economic development which start. with good education off the young .Today some of us talk about war. This next war will make the past war look like child play. Do you forgot about some people. droping their gun saying that. they not going to die in WAWA land.. Let think before. we jump.I know what iam talking about. I was there and i know how many members of my family that we lost .Let there be. cool head.
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by OneNaira6: 9:39pm On May 30, 2013
until the Biafra or Igboland republic becomes a reality, i don't think it's accurate to celebrate a situation that's still midway. Like Hnosegbu pointed out, the reason why Biafra was declared is still occurring in Nigeria today and infact getting worse. Ironically enough, more and more people are seeing the same thing Ojukwu saw many years ago and more community are seeking the same disintegration in today's time. In my opinion, it's not right to commemorate the republic without actually achieving what our grandfathers, great grandparents, uncles, dad, etc fought for.

BTW odumchi where have you been dude? Your input in the cultural section was highly missed. at least to me it was.
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by EkoAtlantic: 9:40pm On May 30, 2013
It's 46 years ago when someone went on suicide mission embarassed cry

*sob*

4 Likes

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by OneNaira6: 9:41pm On May 30, 2013
ijaw citizen: This space has been booked by Ijaw citizen, the Ogbolotebepugha 1 of Ijawland yorubaland.
fixed for ya
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by RedReact: 9:43pm On May 30, 2013
Alfa Seltzer:

The bolded is one of the mistakes anwani is talking about.

Please, could you throw more light to on that matter?
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by EkoAtlantic: 9:44pm On May 30, 2013
So many lives were put into jeopardy cry cry

Who're we gonna blame?

3 Likes

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by EkoAtlantic: 9:46pm On May 30, 2013
RIP to the dead cry cry

1 Like

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by EkoAtlantic: 9:47pm On May 30, 2013
46 years ago is like yesterday cry cry

1 Like

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by EkoAtlantic: 9:48pm On May 30, 2013
In biafra we stand cry cry
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by EkoAtlantic: 9:49pm On May 30, 2013
Who's going to lead biafrans now? T.A. Orji or Emanuel Kelechi?! cry cry

2 Likes

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by Nobody: 9:53pm On May 30, 2013
odumchi:

O di nma. Biko, akpola m Eze nihi o bughi mu bu eze.

O ka o si mee.
cry cry
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by odumchi: 9:54pm On May 30, 2013
One_Naira:
BTW odumchi where have you been dude? Your input in the cultural section was highly missed. at least to me it was.

Nwanne m nwoke, I've been busy with school and other things, but now that we're about entering the vacation period, I will surely increase my presence. Thanks for the concern.
Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by nduchucks: 10:13pm On May 30, 2013
One would have thought by now, secessionists would have been sober. SMH

1 Like

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by debetmx(m): 10:13pm On May 30, 2013
Obviously some people have not learnt any lesson. People makin noise will still run into exile with their family members while you cry of genocide.Ojukwu n achebe's children never got hungry during d foolish war.

6 Likes

Re: Commemorating The 46th Anniversary Of The Declaration Of The Republic Of Biafra by ijawcitizen(m): 11:00pm On May 30, 2013
debetmx: Obviously some people have not learnt any lesson. People makin noise will still run into exile with their family members while you cry of genocide.Ojukwu n achebe's children never got hungry during d foolish war.
That is even small, up till now they don't even know the boundary of Biafra Igboland. They still claim Ijaw communities like Bonny, Opobo and even Ndoki.

They still claim Ikwerre people who consistently make it clear that they are not Igbo people because they don't have Igbo origin. All because of Obio/Akpo and parts of Port Harcourt.

*sipping locally brewed alomo bitters to enable me spit more fire- call me a lazy fisherman, clueless, shoeless drunkard all you want, I'd still be capable of kicking as.ses really hard*

But for now,
long live the republic of Igboland 'cos evil Biafra is dead and gone along with access to the sea. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Feel Great Pity For Labaran Maku – Fashola / i will return to bayero university-fmr minister rufai / The Crazy Cost Of Healthcare In The US!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.