Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,548 members, 7,812,750 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:39 PM

Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit (20934 Views)

Baba Suwe Vs NDLEA: N25m Judgment Appeal Hearing On April 28 / Breaking News! Hard Drugs Found In Baba Suwe's Faeces / Humiliating Photo Showing Baba Suwe Excreting In Ndlea Custody (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by YoungGame: 2:42pm On May 31, 2013
chai..them don pour sand for this man garri lipsrsealed
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Mopolchi: 2:48pm On May 31, 2013
Yomii: Choi...! After mercilessly caressing his anus with hot iron thinking he actually hid cocain in thier;
Engage in compulsory 1week hunger strike. Na wa ooo! Nigeria Judiciary needs revival
Shaarap! Who told you? Were you there?
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Alxmyr(m): 2:49pm On May 31, 2013
Billyonaire: Shame in the Judiciary

You did not know the facts of the matter.
And how the judges arrived at their decision and the aspect of the law that made the quashing possible.
Yet you vilified the judgment and the entire judiciary.

I wonder, whether some you, internet political elites understand what democracy actually mean.

3 Likes

Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by shadrach77: 2:51pm On May 31, 2013
Frank-C:
I think it is quite emotional to expect this man to get any money from NDLEA after an encounter in their line of duty. If NDLEA pay Baba Suwe, then police will need to pay even those that were arrested, detained and later proven innocent in the court. NCAA will also pay airlines for stopping them from taking off on schedule for any reason. The courts will also pay the accused eact time he is confirmed innocent after judgement. Oni should be paying Fayemi and companies will be paying those that attended their jon interviews but never got the job.
you see your life? see how you reasoned? like an ant! There is what we call compensation under the law. Do you know that Baba Suwe was on his way to France to compere an event he had been invited for when he was arrested? He ought compensated for loss of earning, wasted time and for the embarrassment, the dent that was inflicted on his image and for the psychological trauma angry angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by klax(m): 2:53pm On May 31, 2013
But why do we love disgracing and embarrassing ourselves as a country for goodness sake? How come a judgement that was passed and 25million was to be paid to this man and now they said no more payment so since all these while they havent pay him??

Hhhmmmm why is it that our judiciaary are just full of idiots judges? Those who suppose to be a tanker driver or a bricklayer who just by chance ends up as a judge behaving like animals who does not even know the meaning of A "JUDGE" in the first place. if you have money you buy your way out from court, if you belong to their cult you are free from any case either your are guilty or not in as far the sitting judge belong, if you have God father you have no case in their court so shameful indeed.

I'm not supporting Baba Suwe but in other word he was not found guilty and no one convicted of him of any crime and after delaying him so long at NDLEA custody and NDLEA embarrassing theirselves in the face of entire world yet they are not happy and satisfy with the shame and embarrassement they incure upon themselves and still go ahead through back door to influenced the sillygoat judge to their favour this is a disgrace.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Mopolchi: 2:56pm On May 31, 2013
ACM10: NDLEA was doing their job. Sometimes it may go terribly wrong. Their scanner detected suspicious package in Suwe's gut. So they have the right to detain him based on the available evidence.
But for how long should they detain him? That's the question.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by kingsolo215(m): 2:58pm On May 31, 2013
The Court of Appeal is right on this. He was detained on the orders of a Nigerian court, therefore he was legally held under the law of the land. It's a pity he had to go through that ordeal, but it was a necessary evil. He should just go and rest and stop wasting his money paying lawyers who would want him to continue the case even when they know it is a lost battle. They just want to get paid. Baba suwe should wise up
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by ACM10: 3:02pm On May 31, 2013
Mopolchi: But for how long should they detain him? That's the question.

Accepted period of detention within the law will be left for the legal experts to determine.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Mopolchi: 3:03pm On May 31, 2013
Ebenezerk2: it was a good judgement
Because you were not the person denied his fundamental human rights, if you were him you would criticise the Judiciary. Watch what you utter!
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Mopolchi: 3:13pm On May 31, 2013
ACM10:

Accepted period of detention within the law will be left for the legal experts to determine.
I do not know the basis of this judgment but whatever it was, I am sure that the High court's judgment took into consideration the length of time in which he was detained unlawfully before awarding him the 25 million Naira.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by willyo(m): 3:15pm On May 31, 2013
Is thr no other means to dealing with all this nonsense? Is thr no way the masses can ensure the right thing is being done the right the way? Nawa ooo. 9ja we don tire o. I know for sure they're forcing us to revolution.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Rastamann: 3:22pm On May 31, 2013
Good judgement! The NDLEA need not pay any N25 million to him. NDLEA were simply doing their job and at times this is one of the numerous risks that can crop up. And who told you the man no carry the thing? grin
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Okijajuju: 3:40pm On May 31, 2013
I'm sorry but we cant eat our cake and have it.

The NDLEA were prolly acting on a tip off or the amala he ate appeared like drugs on their scanners. They did their best to confirm that it wasnt drugs. Under the Law, the NDLEA cant forcefully carry out an intrusive surgery on him. They cant even carry out a proper scan of his stomach without a court order and for them to get a court order requires another set of procedures. Under the circumstance, they did what they had to do.

On the flip side, I feel sorry for Baba Suwe. His rights were no doubt infringed by the NDLEA in the dispatch of their duty. I think some form of compensation for damage to both his personality and his person should be awarded and also some punitive damages should also be awarded to him.

Sad life.. The law is indeed a biitch.

2 Likes

Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by enkoby: 3:41pm On May 31, 2013
ACM10: NDLEA was doing their job. Sometimes it may go terribly wrong. Their scanner detected suspicious package in Suwe's gut. So they have the right to detain him based on the available evidence.

They have the right to detain him on reasonbale grounds, I agree. but they also have the duty to take him to court within 24 hours of detention/arrest as stipulated in the 1999 Constitution, else it becomes an unlawful detention. It is based on this ground that the trial court awarded damages to Suwe.

1 Like

Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by parki: 3:48pm On May 31, 2013

what type of scanner? Is it those outdated scanners we have in our airports that u r referring to as Scanners? What can those scanners detect in the human body. Let us be honest, Our scanners are outdated and Ndlea is a joke. When you go abroad, asides from scanners, their border agents also have sniffers dogs. Dogs that are highly trained to sniff cocaine out even in your blokus. In Nigeria, we are accusing someone of carrying drugs with our outdated scanners. No proper confirmation was done to verify; they just detained him.

Back to the ruling, Ndlea should pay up. They falsely detained him; therefore, they should pay. Nigerians should learn how to respect the law.

Anyways, the Nigerian legal system is a joke but that's diff talk for anoda day.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by sweetnigga(m): 3:49pm On May 31, 2013
available what ?
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by mu2sa2: 3:50pm On May 31, 2013
otokx: Let them appeal to supreme court.
The supreme court is also part of the problem. The entire judiciary stinks and there`s no hope in sight. Corrupt politicians, corrupt judges, corrupt police - perfect recipe for chaos.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by mkoabiola: 3:51pm On May 31, 2013
So law could b very funny n twisted.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by soulfood(m): 4:00pm On May 31, 2013
Frank-C:
I think it is quite emotional to expect this man to get any money from NDLEA after an encounter in their line of duty. If NDLEA pay Baba Suwe, then police will need to pay even those that were arrested, detained and later proven innocent in the court. NCAA will also pay airlines for stopping them from taking off on schedule for any reason. The courts will also pay the accused eact time he is confirmed innocent after judgement. Oni should be paying Fayemi and companies will be paying those that attended their on interviews but never got the job.
If the examples you have mentioned above actually happen in civilized countries, they would have sued(apart from the job thing which i am guessing is an attempt at sarcasm by you). This is yet another reason for us to get out of the Jungle as a country.

Baba Suwe is a public figure. A role model to many and a successful actor. Imagine LAPD narcotics dept arresting Sean Connery or Morgan freeman and parading him as a drug trafficker, subjecting him to physical and emotional abuse, only to be unable to prove he had drugs on him. The actor(s) will sue the living daylight out of LAPD. That is how it works my guy.

The instances of people you gave above do not bother suing in Nigeria because they are afraid it will be swept under the carpet like they are about to do with Baba Suwe.

2 Likes

Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by FrankC3: 4:14pm On May 31, 2013
shadrach77:
you see your life? see how you reasoned? like an ant! There is what we call compensation under the law. Do you know that Baba Suwe was on his way to France to compere an event he had been invited for when he was arrested? He ought compensated for loss of earning, wasted time and for the embarrassment, the dent that was inflicted on his image and for the psychological trauma angry angry angry angry

Who is reasoning like an ant here? Open your mind to learn about thing bigger than you. And for your information, you don't make any point by insulting anybody. I personally don't do insults. It is for kids and people ligt upstairs who have no point to articulate or are incapable of articulating their position logically or both.

Now, on his destination before his arrest, Suwe can be on his way to heaven for all I care. NDLEA was created to track and stop drug peddlers and they have SOP. They do their jobs by disrupting the movement of the suspected courrier. I use those airports regularly and I have seen other people arrested and later released. A close friend was stripped naked in Rabat on her way to see her friend on suspicion of being a courrier. You could also be stripped naked, searched and detained. The important thing is to ensure that everything is done according to the law establishing the body.

It is even more stuupid for a man arrested on suspicion of drug peddling to make it a media affair. You are not bigger than those arrested by NDLEA before. They even arrested the son of a governor of Jigawa recently and trested him according to the law establishing them, so what make Suwe bigger than NDLEA.

The National Assembly made the law establishing NDLEA. The executive executed the via her NDLEA agency. The judiciary interpretes the law made by the NA and they have said that the NDLEA are right, who are you ib your little village to abuse and insult the judiciary? Maybe, you want to be the new Chief Justice of Lagos State?

4 Likes

Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by soyad: 4:17pm On May 31, 2013
The jass power has waned .
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by tomakint: 4:19pm On May 31, 2013
Frank-C:

Who is reasoning like an ant here? Open your mind to learn about thing bigger than you. And for your information, you don't make any point by insulting anybody. I personally don't do insults. It is for kids and people ligt upstairs who have no point to articulate or are incapable of articulating their position logically or both.

Now, on his destination before his arrest, Suwe can be on his way to heaven for all I care. NDLEA was created to track and stop drug peddlers and they have SOP. They do their jobs by disrupting the movement of the suspected courrier. I use those airports regularly and I have seen other people arrested and later released. A close friend was stripped naked in Rabat on her way to see her friend on suspicion of being a courrier. You could also be stripped naked, searched and detained. The important thing is to ensure that everything is done according to the law establishing the body.

It is even more stuupid for a man arrested on suspicion of drug peddling to make it a media affair. You are not bigger than those arrested by NDLEA before. They even arrested the son of a governor of Jigawa recently and trested him according to the law establishing them, so what make Suwe bigger than NDLEA.

The National Assembly made the law establishing NDLEA. The executive executed the via her NDLEA agency. The judiciary interpretes the law made by the NA and they have said that the NDLEA are right, who are you ib your little village to abuse and insult the judiciary? Maybe, you want to be the new Chief Justice of Lagos State?
Preach on brother too many babies in the house, they need to grow up!
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by 2busy: 4:25pm On May 31, 2013
Frank-C:

Sometime when i read post like this, i lost hope in Nigeria as a country!!!

Thank you soulfood I love your analogy
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by lacicrips(m): 4:27pm On May 31, 2013
Frank-C:
I think it is quite emotional to expect this man to get any money from NDLEA after an encounter in their line of duty. If NDLEA pay Baba Suwe, then police will need to pay even those that were arrested, detained and later proven innocent in the court. NCAA will also pay airlines for stopping them from taking off on schedule for any reason. The courts will also pay the accused eact time he is confirmed innocent after judgement. Oni should be paying Fayemi and companies will be paying those that attended their jon interviews but never got the job.
Flawed thinking. Flawed analysis.
You need to start meditating. It'll help grow your brain.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by adonisgold: 4:42pm On May 31, 2013
Billyonaire: Shame in the Judiciary

I beg shut up! You have not even read the judgement you are talking nonsense. U dont hav an inkling of how the legal system works so clam up.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Muttex(m): 4:51pm On May 31, 2013
Nigeria with jungle justice
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by ConcernMan: 4:58pm On May 31, 2013
Frank-C:

God bless you.
I have always reasoned that the Judge of the Lagos State High Court who made that order in the first place was totally drunk. He was influenced by public opinion and emotion and not the law. The scanners installed on the airport suspected Baba Suwe of drug injection. In line with this reasonable apprehension of a crime, the NDLEA officials detained Babe Suwe for thorough examination. In order not to breach his fundamental right, NDLEA went to court and obtained an order which empowered it to further detain the alleged suspect for some days. At the expiration of the days contained in the order, the suspect (Baba Suwe) was released after the examination showed he was clean. Where then did the NDLEA foul the law? Going by the facts of this case, what Baba Suwe was entitled to at that time was SORRY (public apology) in line with the constitution. The learned trial judge totally goofed in law in awarding the complainant(Baba Suwe) damages of N25,000.000.
Thank you the learned Justices of Court of Appeal for this sound judgment. Baba Suwe can go to the Supreme Court but I honestly don't see him winning this one.

3 Likes

Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by maasoap(m): 5:13pm On May 31, 2013
And who asked you tell us story as if we didn't know already? The contentious issue here is that: are they empowered to detain and subject innocent people to inhuman treatment (as in d case of baba Suwe) and still get away wt it.
BTW, where is that suspicious substance they found inside him?
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by lacicrips(m): 5:31pm On May 31, 2013
ConcernMan:

God bless you.
I have always reasoned that the Judge of the Lagos State High Court who made that order in the first place was totally drunk. He was influenced by public opinion and emotion and not the law. The scanners installed on the airport suspected Baba Suwe of drug injection. In line with this reasonable apprehension of a crime, the NDLEA officials detained Babe Suwe for thorough examination. In order not to breach his fundamental right, NDLEA went to court and obtained an order which empowered it to further detain the alleged suspect for some days. At the expiration of the days contained in the order, the suspect (Baba Suwe) was released after the examination should he was clean. Where then did the NDLEA foul the law? Going by the facts of this case, what Baba Suwe was entitled to at that time was SORRY (public apology) in line with the constitution. The learned trial judge totally goofed in law in awarding the complainant(Baba Suwe) damages of N25,000.000.
Thank you the learned Justices of Court of Appeal for this sound judgment. Baba Suwe can go to the Supreme Court but I honestly don't see him winning this one.
Another flawed thinking. SMH.
So scanners detected what was not there. Man kept for several days in detention, made to face humiliating experiences; image rubbished; and you think the only thing they owe him is an apology?

What prevents them from making you their next victim? Afterall they'll tender a public apology to you, right?
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by ConcernMan: 5:39pm On May 31, 2013
kingsolo215: The Court of Appeal is right on this. He was detained on the orders of a Nigerian court, therefore he was legally held under the law of the land. It's a pity he had to go through that ordeal, but it was a necessary evil. He should just go and rest and stop wasting his money paying lawyers who would want him to continue the case even when they know it is a lost battle. They just want to get paid. Baba suwe should wise up

Thank you my brother. I think it is high time we had a legal section in this forum. I feels so nauseous when laymen make puerile arguments on a pure legal issue like this. Bamidele Aturu(Counsel to Baba Suwe) will just finish his money prosecuting this appeal to no avail unless he is doing that on a pro bono basis. Baba Suwe's right to liberty was derogated from him pursuant to an order of a court of competent jurisdiction granting NDLEA the power to detain the alleged suspects(Baba Suwe) for more days to enable it conclude its investigation. There was nothing unconstitutional about Baba Suwe's detention. The Lagos State High Court Judge was definitely high on weed when he awarded such outrageous damages. What NDLEA did was its statutory function. The highest it owe Baba Suwe was a public apology

2 Likes

Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Nobody: 5:46pm On May 31, 2013
How this drug pushing rascal got off scot free is what I am still trying to figure out

Drugs that showed up lodged in his intestines on the airport scan and X-rays at LASUTH suddenly disappeared from his alimentary canal under the care of NDLEA after all the nollywood drama that ensued.
He shaited,he didn't shait,who saw the shait?
Babyosisi cannot tell

American wonder!!

He doesn't deserve one red cent IMHO and thank GOd an appeal judge agrees with me cool cool
God is watching him
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by ConcernMan: 5:48pm On May 31, 2013
lacicrips:
Another flawed thinking. SMH.
So scanners detected what was not there. Man kept for several days in detention, made to face humiliating experiences; image rubbished; and you think the only thing they owe him is an apology?

What prevents them from making you their next victim? Afterall they'll tender a public apology to you, right?

I refuse to join issues with you. I will like you to address me on point of law alone. Can you kindly tell me any provision of the law NDLEA contravened by detaining Baba Suwe?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

CAN Calls For Nationwide Protest Against Herdsmen Killings / Court Orders IGP To Prosecute Babatunde Gbadamosi For Forgery, Perjury / 10 Major Jailbreaks On President Buhari’s Watch

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.