Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,154 members, 7,818,495 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:19 PM

Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit (20936 Views)

Baba Suwe Vs NDLEA: N25m Judgment Appeal Hearing On April 28 / Breaking News! Hard Drugs Found In Baba Suwe's Faeces / Humiliating Photo Showing Baba Suwe Excreting In Ndlea Custody (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by lacicrips(m): 5:54pm On May 31, 2013
ConcernMan:

Thank you my brother. I think it is high time we had a legal section in this forum. I feels so nauseous when laymen make puerile arguments on a pure legal issue like this. Bamidele Aturu(Counsel to Baba Suwe) will just finish his money prosecuting this appeal to no avail unless he is doing that on a pro bono basis. Baba Suwe's right to liberty was derogated from him pursuant to an order of a court of competent jurisdiction granting NDLEA the power to detain the alleged suspects(Baba Suwe) for more days to enable it conclude its investigation. There was nothing unconstitutional about Baba Suwe's detention. The Lagos State High Court Judge was definitely high on weed when he awarded such outrageous damages. What NDLEA did was its statutory function. The highest it owe Baba Suwe was a public apology
I wonder the type of clients that pay you to represent them. I guess you're a lawyer of some sort, judging from your comment?
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Nobody: 5:57pm On May 31, 2013
Hmm
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by addicted268(f): 5:59pm On May 31, 2013
soulfood:
If the examples you have mentioned above actually happen in civilized countries, they would have sued(apart from the job thing which i am guessing is an attempt at sarcasm by you). This is yet another reason for us to get out of the Jungle as a country.

Baba Suwe is a public figure. A role model to many and a successful actor. Imagine LAPD narcotics dept arresting Sean Connery or Morgan freeman and parading him as a drug trafficker, subjecting him to physical and emotional abuse, only to be unable to prove he had drugs on him. The actor(s) will sue the living daylight out of LAPD. That is how it works my guy.

The instances of people you gave above do not bother suing in Nigeria because they are afraid it will be swept under the carpet like they are about to do with Baba Suwe.
thank you for this.you have said it all.I don't know whether to hold the long military rule we experienced accountable for our lack of knowledge of our fundamental human rights.I think baba suwe was within his rights to sue the NDLEA.they encroached on his rights,detained him unlawfully,not to mention the physical and emotional embarrassment,tarnished his reputation which he had suffered to build over the years,etc etc.True, the NDLEA CLAIMED their scanner saw something in his system but fact is that nothing was discovered there.if they had apologized to him and he decided to forget d case,that would have been ok.since he decided to sue,he is still within his rights.

1 Like

Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by ACM10: 6:06pm On May 31, 2013
maasoap: And who asked you tell us story as if we didn't know already? The contentious issue here is that: are they empowered to detain and subject innocent people to inhuman treatment (as in d case of baba Suwe) and still get away wt it.
BTW, where is that suspicious substance they found inside him?

If you got nothing of substance to say, better stay on the sidelines and whistle or hit likes. Glad you know the story already, but wont you grant the keen onlookers the benefit of knowing the story too? Other issues you raised has been addressed by other knowledgeable posters here. Just read the comments here with an open mind.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by addicted268(f): 6:12pm On May 31, 2013
soulfood:
If the examples you have mentioned above actually happen in civilized countries, they would have sued(apart from the job thing which i am guessing is an attempt at sarcasm by you). This is yet another reason for us to get out of the Jungle as a country.

Baba Suwe is a public figure. A role model to many and a successful actor. Imagine LAPD narcotics dept arresting Sean Connery or Morgan freeman and parading him as a drug trafficker, subjecting him to physical and emotional abuse, only to be unable to prove he had drugs on him. The actor(s) will sue the living daylight out of LAPD. That is how it works my guy.

The instances of people you gave above do not bother suing in Nigeria because they are afraid it will be swept under the carpet like they are about to do with Baba Suwe.
thank you for this.you have said it all.I don't know whether to hold the long military rule we experienced accountable for our lack of knowledge of our fundamental human rights.I think baba suwe was within his rights to sue the NDLEA.they encroached on his rights,detained him unlawfully,not to mention the physical and emotional embarrassment,tarnished his reputation which he had suffered to build over the years,etc etc.True, the NDLEA CLAIMED their scanner saw something in his system but fact is that nothing was discovered there.if they had apologized to him and he decided to forget d case,that would have been ok.since he decided to sue,he is still within his rights.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by mrofficial(m): 6:13pm On May 31, 2013
Ebenezerk2: it was a good judgement

How was it a good judgement?
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Nobody: 6:21pm On May 31, 2013
I knew the case would collapse eventually at either the Court of Appeal or the Supreme Court.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by ConcernMan: 6:27pm On May 31, 2013
addicted268: thank you for this.you have said it all.I don't know whether to hold the long military rule we experienced accountable for our lack of knowledge of our fundamental human rights.I think baba suwe was within his rights to sue the NDLEA.they encroached on his rights,detained him unlawfully,not to mention the physical and emotional embarrassment,tarnished his reputation which he had suffered to build over the years,etc etc.True, the NDLEA CLAIMED their scanner saw something in his system but fact is that nothing was discovered there.if they had apologized to him and he decided to forget d case,that would have been ok.since he decided to sue,he is still within his rights.

My brother under Chapter IV (Fundamental Rights) of the 1999 Constitution as amended, there is only one right which is absolute in the constitution which is section 36 of the constitution (i.e the right to fair hearing), apart from it, no other right is absolute. Not even section 33 which is the right to life. The meaning is that every other fundamental or human right can be derogated from any person subject however to complying with the constitution. This is exactly what happened in Baba Suwe's case. His right to liberty was derogated in line with the law (kindly read section 35 of the constitution thoroughly and see for yourself). It was quite unfortunate that it played out like this, but as you said, NDLEA ought to have apologised to him so that sleeping dog can lie peacefully. I however salute Baba Suwe for his doggedness in trying to enforce his right and enriching our law on this topic.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by ConcernMan: 6:27pm On May 31, 2013
addicted268: thank you for this.you have said it all.I don't know whether to hold the long military rule we experienced accountable for our lack of knowledge of our fundamental human rights.I think baba suwe was within his rights to sue the NDLEA.they encroached on his rights,detained him unlawfully,not to mention the physical and emotional embarrassment,tarnished his reputation which he had suffered to build over the years,etc etc.True, the NDLEA CLAIMED their scanner saw something in his system but fact is that nothing was discovered there.if they had apologized to him and he decided to forget d case,that would have been ok.since he decided to sue,he is still within his rights.

My brother under Chapter IV (Fundamental Rights) of the 1999 Constitution as amended, there is only one right which is absolute in the constitution which is section 36 of the constitution (i.e the right to fair hearing), apart from it, no other right is absolute. Not even section 33 which is the right to life. The meaning is that every other fundamental or human right can be derogated from any person subject however to complying with the constitution. This is exactly what happened in Baba Suwe's case. His right to liberty was derogated in line with the law (kindly read section 35 of the constitution thoroughly and see for yourself). It was quite unfortunate that it played out like this, but as you said, NDLEA ought to have apologised to him so that sleeping dog can lie peacefully. I however salute Baba Suwe for his doggedness in trying to enforce his right and enriching our law on this topic.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by tomzman: 7:02pm On May 31, 2013
I had an incling from the outset that NDLEA would get away with this. Too bad. Work needs to be done concerning the judicial system in Nigeria.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by gtrust: 7:14pm On May 31, 2013
kingsolo215: The Court of Appeal is right on this. He was detained on the orders of a Nigerian court, therefore he was legally held under the law of the land. It's a pity he had to go through that ordeal, but it was a necessary evil. He should just go and rest and stop wasting his money paying lawyers who would want him to continue the case even when they know it is a lost battle. They just want to get paid. Baba suwe should wise up

They had no right to detain him and charge him to court when he had nothing on him.

Overseas, they detain you, search you, scan you and everything sharp sharp and if nothing is found they always apologise and reorganise your flight and if necessary accommodation.
Everything is done withing 24 hours and there's NO press and TV. (INNOCENT UNTIL GUILTY)
I read on newspapers and nairaland that this man carry drugs only to come read here now that it never happened.

You can now imagine the poor people who have lost the travel arrangments and money because of some incompetent NDLEA.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by chuksoyo21(m): 7:14pm On May 31, 2013
Baba suwe, u really got to try harder wid ur legal team. If dem finally knw sey na staging u dey go jail, oh. Anyway, u too much sha!
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by seunlayi(m): 8:16pm On May 31, 2013
things happen in Niger-area
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Chxta(m): 8:42pm On May 31, 2013
If I were made to shit more or less in public like Baba Suwe was, I'd also go to the Supreme Court for my 25m. http:///10NNG4f I'd go further sef!
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by ddeola: 8:59pm On May 31, 2013
Let them continue until one day when one so-called influential Nigerian will die in their hands because of their overzealousness. As for the courts, pteeeewwwwww, yeye dey smell when a court of law cannot separate injustice from civility
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by CoenzymeA: 9:21pm On May 31, 2013
parki:

what type of scanner? Is it those outdated scanners we have in our airports that u r referring to as Scanners? What can those scanners detect in the human body. Let us be honest, Our scanners are outdated and Ndlea is a joke. When you go abroad, asides from scanners, their border agents also have sniffers dogs. Dogs that are highly trained to sniff cocaine out even in your blokus. In Nigeria, we are accusing someone of carrying drugs with our outdated scanners. No proper confirmation was done to verify; they just detained him.

Back to the ruling, Ndlea should pay up. They falsely detained him; therefore, they should pay. Nigerians should learn how to respect the law.

Anyways, the Nigerian legal system is a joke but that's diff talk for anoda day.

One of those outdated scanners caught that former Sunny Ade's Guitarist who is now cooling his heels in the prison. We know what these people are capable of doing. The NDLEA knew what they were doing by detaining him that long after repeated scans showed there was something in him. I guess you could explain how heavily armed and trained security men were decimated by some mere village folks in Nasarawa state.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by FBICIA(m): 9:55pm On May 31, 2013
Baba suwe should Be happy that NDLEA didn't get enough proof to charge him to court because the scanner @the Airport detected that he was carrying something, and the guy no gree shite am........
NDLEA thought the machine wasn't working well, they took em to LASUTH for MRI and MRI shows he had something and that was the main reason he was held in custody so that he can shite it out But something is wrong some where

But I tink the supreme court judgement was right
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Otilo12: 10:41pm On May 31, 2013
Frank-C:
I think it is quite emotional to expect this man to get any money from NDLEA after an encounter in their line of duty. If NDLEA pay Baba Suwe, then police will need to pay even those that were arrested, detained and later proven innocent in the court. NCAA will also pay airlines for stopping them from taking off on schedule for any reason. The courts will also pay the accused eact time he is confirmed innocent after judgement. Oni should be paying Fayemi and companies will be paying those that attended their jon interviews but never got the job.

God bless you my brother. Its just laughable & even unfortunate that pple will because of being engrossed in comedy, thought it wise dat an agency lawfully performing its duty shld be made to pay such outrageous compensation. Imagine, can a court in UK order dat someone be paid £25million for merely being investigated. Aftrall, two separate machines were used for d test & court order obtained. What else The lower court judge shld be prosecuted for given judgement for personally engrossing in a mere comedian.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Chocboyslim: 1:44pm On Jun 01, 2013
Nigeria ''Rule of Law'' totally needs proper sanitation of d members of d judiciary & his executives* Sum tyme i do think if dis country truely respect & obey d laws dat guide dem? Or re dey jst playin with lyk politics? I thought dey stand for justice, so y den re dey fustrating d lifes of d citizens abiding them? Sincerely, if BABA SUWE is innocent of dis crime labelled against him my NDLEA, dey should apologize & pay d yoruba actor off, for incovinency & defamartion of character in public* May God save dis coountry o, cos truelly i dn't no where we re heading to.......
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jun 01, 2013
nonso84: Ghen Ghen ghen!
**grabs pop corn**
waiting for part 2.

Part 2 ke? The thing don enter part 5 cheesy
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Cipriani(m): 9:35pm On Jun 01, 2013
Wow!!! At last. Baba suwe will not be getting a dime from NDLEA, this is good story. Now, he will be loosing at both ends, couldn't deliver the drugs and still would not be paid any compensation. I hope he has learnt his lesson that drug does not pay. You dont have to cut corners to get rich. Wealth acquired by hardwork pays better and last longer.

I guess he would have been having series of dreams about him counting his millions and making deposits and withdrawals and enjoying life. He would have thought by now that he will be changing his Nissan Altima soon, guess it aint gonna happen.

NDLEA..good job, we all know voodoo was involved, scanners dont lie.
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by zetel95(m): 8:29am On Jun 02, 2013
mistiff007: Another developing country jungle judicial system ruling,what a slap & cheat on the poor actor.
All of this is a drama to me produce and directed by Baba Suwe
Re: Baba Suwe Loses N25M NDLEA Damages Suit by Ejirochocho(m): 5:00pm On Jun 19, 2017
I don't want wanwt to comment on this
But you still did comment

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Shi’ite Sect Leader Not In Army’s Custody – Buratai / Aliyu Abdullahi, Aisha Buhari's Aide Refuses To Disclose Her Whereabouts (Video) / Ekiti Speaker Dismisses Plot To Impeach Fayose, Wants Omirin Arrested

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.