Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,151 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States (16257 Views)

Ikpeazu Borrowed N24bn In 11 Months / Shuaibu Salisu: I Delivered $47m In 11 Suitcases To Dasuki - The Nation / PENGASSAN, NUPENG Begin Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by hikmoj(m): 9:16am On Jun 01, 2013
brownlord: Abeg if teachers go on strike shei even corpers self no go go school? chai thank you Jesus, i don first tire self, abeg shei Osun state join the state.

Chai NUT include Osun now
oga corper!u wana commence ur service 2 ur mother land wit laziness. So ara e o, kpachalu anya gi o,ka hakeli fa
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by AMossley(m): 9:19am On Jun 01, 2013
basilo101: I served in Ekiti, dey employ teachers more dan required. D state is economically dead, lazy youths alway crying 4 govt jobs
hardworking youth,so where are you working?
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Lexo22(m): 9:23am On Jun 01, 2013
Even Edo... Nawa oh
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by katordidi(m): 9:30am On Jun 01, 2013
kalunomics: Look at how they are complaining about like they really do the job they are asking for the payment. I thought they've turned their staff room to markets, they should be able to make money out of it. grin

Government should instill tough punitive measures, if not dismissal, to teachers whom out-rightly miss schools and skip classes in a bid to fish out the culprits and curb this menace because there are a few who are committed to their job that deserves their salaries.

But wait, what is the reason of the government for owing them?
why should they work if they are not paid, man must survive any which way
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by AdeojoFolukeC(f): 9:30am On Jun 01, 2013
na wa o. D educational sector r all going on strike...ASUP own marks 40 dayz today. May God help Nigeria
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Larrylarex(m): 9:45am On Jun 01, 2013
Teachers' reward is not in Heaven anymore as the saying goes... Dem too must follow jolly for this World.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nuzo1(m): 10:01am On Jun 01, 2013
babyosisi:

There are some states that should have never been created
States that are dead, basically leeches and sucking the economy dry with nothing to offer
Ekiti is one
Ebonyi is another
Let me not mention the non viable states of northern Nigeria
Any state that cannot pay teachers a minimum wage ought to be merged back to wherever they were carved from and if they are older states,they ought to decrease the size of govt by merging their LGAs to a maximum of 10

I hope you are not one of the Nwandos who Feghabo and Sam Egwu contracted all state projects to...only to come and start condemning the creation now.

In a rush to sound funny in your posts, you sometime neglet the underlying and very important issues.

Mind telling us where the so called rich states like Enugu and co get the money they pay their teachers? Ogbete market, coal camp or tax?

State creation has never been the problem, the selfish and lazy governors are.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by ctrlunlimited: 10:16am On Jun 01, 2013
(c bad mouth,u sef wetin do ur grammar) grammer police eku ise
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by nikkyshyne(f): 10:24am On Jun 01, 2013
Thank God Lagos isn't included. There is a particular cheque to be collected from them *phew*
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nobody: 10:34am On Jun 01, 2013

Fashola
| credits:
[size=14pt]Lagos State Governor Babatunde Fashola has advised that states that are not viable should be allowed to merge through constitutional process to enable them stand independent of the Federal Government and function as federating units.
[/size]
Fashola gave the advice during a television programme, 60 Minutes with Angela, on Wednesday, while answering questions on his advocacy for fiscal federalism.

The governor said fiscal federalism would allow “diversity to prosper but towards a common purpose.”

However, the host reminded him that some of the states which were not as rich as Lagos might suffer under the rule if allowed to be practiced.

Fashola replied, “Some people are clamouring for state creation; the same instrument that will be used for state creation can also be used to encourage the state to merge to achieve their fill potentials of they cannot do it alone.”

The governor had also said the current agitation for a new state, Lagoon, to be carved out of Lagos, would be determined by what the people want.

He said the Federal Government had dabbled into many things which were not its responsibility and the states needed to claim them back.

“Federal Government should hand off lotteries. Value Added Tax should be domiciliary in the states it is been taken. Imposition of fuel pump price by the Federal Government is illegal. It is like determining the price of Gala after collecting tax from the company that made it,” the governor said.

He explained that the current efforts to clean up Apapa area of the state was not a declaration of war against tanker drivers, but government’s well intentioned initiative to get people and business back to work in the area.

He said, “Businesses have fled the area. The need to get people and businesses back motivated the government.”

Little did I know a governor somewhere had already proposed the same thing

Ebonyi and Ekiti,the two southern states at the lowest economic rung ought to heed that call and merge back to abia/ Enugu states and Ondo respectively or remain at the bottom competing with the northern states .
The case of Ekiti is worsened by an unending court battle for governorship using state resources.
If I were the President,that will be my solution
If you can't pay your workers minimum wage,you don't deserve to be a state
Period!
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Cool83(m): 10:42am On Jun 01, 2013
SLIDE waxie: These people are id!ots. Ogun is not going on strike, the govt pays N18,200 since d implementation of d minimum wage and doesn't owe any teacher a dime!
what about the 27.5 %.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Cool83(m): 10:52am On Jun 01, 2013
Smooyis: Trading during school hours is illegal and should be discourage. I think the govt is partly responsible for this. When teachers are ill paid, they are bound to make ends meet one way or the other. Pay teachers well, and watch them give their best to the students. It is very frusztrating seeing the child you taught riding flashy cars and doing well few years after graduation while the teacher wallow in poverty.
I believe teachers make the school. But most govts believe in building good classroom blocks at the expense of teachers welfare.
Teachers reward must start from here now and not when they die.
may God bless you
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by joebases(m): 10:53am On Jun 01, 2013
[quote
author=kalunomics]Look at how they are complaining about like they
really do the job they are asking for the payment. I thought they've
turned their staff room to markets, they should be able to make money
out of it. grin

Government should instill tough punitive measures, if not dismissal, to
teachers whom out-rightly miss schools and skip classes in a bid to fish
out the culprits and curb this menace because there are a few who are
committed to their job that deserves their salaries.

But wait, what is the reason of the government for owing them?[/quote]

How won't the classrooms be turned to markets when thats the only way of survival for them? If you ask me these teachers are really suffering and need more attention
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Acidosis(m): 10:55am On Jun 01, 2013
babyosisi:

Little did I know a governor somewhere had already proposed the same thing

Ebonyi and Ekiti,the two southern states at the lowest economic rung ought to heed that call and merge back to abia/ Enugu states and Ondo respectively or remain at the bottom competing with the northern states .
The case of Ekiti is worsened by an unending court battle for governorship using state resources.
If I were the President,that will be my solution
If you can't pay your workers minimum wage,you don't deserve to be a state
Period!

I don't know why this Fashola man always antagonize common sense.

How can one suggest the merging of 2 less productive states governed by gubernatorial dullards like Ebonyi governor?

A man is still struggling to survive in a small cubicle and you're suggesting a merger.. smh

The result of this is; the governors would only develop the state capital as usual while others stay in penury.

What should be done is simple! There is no single state without atleast 3 mineral resources, and thousands of human resources.
The same Ekiti has loads of unproductive Profesors who are only interested in journals, academics and monthly salary.

If the 'wise men' in the respective states can not function, the governor should invite experts and foreigners who can take the state to another level via the natural potentials in them.

Merging of states would only cause tribal chaos, & ethnic clashes.

And Fashola should please stop looking for overnight miracle/development. What we see in Lagos today started before he was born! He's only building on existing legacy.

1 Like

Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nobody: 11:00am On Jun 01, 2013
Acidosis:

I don't know why this Fashola man always antagonize common sense.

How can one suggest the merging of 2 less productive states governed by gubernatorial dullards like Ebonyi governor?

A man is still struggling to survive in a small cubicle and you're suggesting a merger.. smh

The result of this is; the governors would only develop the state capital as usual while others stay in penury.

What should be done is simple! There is no single state without atleast 3 mineral resources, and thousands of human resources.
The same Ekiti has loads of unproductive Profesors who are only interested in journals, academics and monthly salary.

If the 'wise men' in the respective states can not function, the governor should invite experts and foreigners who can take the state to another level via the natural potentials in them.

Merging of states would only cause tribal chaos, & ethnic clashes.

And Fashola should please stop looking for overnight miracle/development. What we see in Lagos today started before he was born! He's only building on existing legacy.

If states are merged,the govt becomes smaller
Only one set of commissioners and advisers etc.
Nigeria was better when we had 19 and 21 states than now with 36
We had working showers in our bathrooms and almost constant electricity for a start
I didn't have a single strike in my elementary schooling days and I went to public school
Not once were we at home because of a strike

Nigeria needs an overhaul
Regional control of resources and a weak center is the only way
As long as all the states are going to Abuja with Almajiri plates in hand for allocations ,we can never get governors willing to harness whatever potential they may have locally
They will only cry and whine and beg for bigger allocations
The governor's seat will only attract criminals who are there primarily to loot the alms from the Niger delta via Abuja
That is where most states are,especially the 11 mentioned.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Acidosis(m): 11:25am On Jun 01, 2013
babyosisi:

If states are merged,the govt becomes smaller
Only one set of commissioners and advisers etc.
Nigeria was better when we had 19 and 21 states than now with 36
We had working showers in our bathrooms and almost constant electricity for a start
I didn't have a single strike in my elementary schooling days and I went to public school
Not once were we at home because of a strike

Nigeria needs an overhaul
Regional control of resources and a weak center is the only way
As long as all the states are going to Abuja with Almajiri plates in hand for allocations ,we can never get governors willing to harness whatever potential they may have locally
They will only cry and whine and beg for bigger allocations
The governor's seat will only attract criminals who are there primarily to loot the alms from the Niger delta via Abuja
That is where most states are,especially the 11 mentioned.

Okay may be Fashola should start from his state by merging Lagos with Ogun.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by slye(m): 11:33am On Jun 01, 2013
Why osun no kon join so corpers can rest cry
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nuzo1(m): 12:10pm On Jun 01, 2013
All of a sudden, Fashola's opinion has become a yardstick for Mrs Nwando's opinions.

Ebonyi was among the first places crude oil was discovered in commercial quantity in Nigeria. Politics, logistics and inept leadership wouldn't allow exploration take plce.

Ebonyi sits on over 21 solid mineral deposit. Again, politics and dumb leaader wouldn't make it happen.

Ebonyi has the largest salt deposit in Africa yet nothing was done about it when they were under Anambra, Enugu and Abia. Nothing much is still being done about it now.

Inspite of the massive r.a.pe of the state treasury by ex millitary and civilian governors and their cronies like Nwando's family....Ebonyi state and her indigenes have by a long and unbelievable stretch done very well in Education since when the state was created in 1996 as opposed to when they were in Anambra, Abia and Enugu.

I'm not a fan of the current governor but I like stating the truth when need be.
Dude pays as at when due unlike the so-called rich states who only pay salaries on paper and Nairaland while owing their teachers for six months.

Only a fool will think that the so-called rich states pay their workers with Internally generated revenue.

Should FG withhold States allocations, I can assure you that Enugu, Imo and the so-called rich states will be the first to collapse. We are not even talking about states outside south east.

Ebonyi and Nigeria at large need visionary and selfless leaders that can harness the abundant natural and human resourses in their various states and not merger with people who give Igbos bad name.

Yeye!
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jun 01, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:
So Abia state Uni don finish strike? grin
The 20 years strike don end?
We praise God.
I hope my 40years old recent undergraduates will find jobs.

As for Ekiti....una wan follow follow style abi? smh

bia ewu ndi texas....who told you absu was on strike

ebonyi is a disgrace to se...see wat akpabio has turned imoke's govt to
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by dilim247: 1:39pm On Jun 01, 2013
Pay them abeg!
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jun 01, 2013
hoochay: summary plz
lol. So as short as this is u still want it to be summarised before reading? I doubt if u've ever read big novels like 'Great Expectations by Charles Dickens'!
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Chinks(m): 4:40pm On Jun 01, 2013
What re these governors doin with d monthly allocation they collect frm FG? This country is a big joke!
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nuzo1(m): 6:00pm On Jun 01, 2013
Larryfly:

bia ewu ndi texas....who told you absu was on strike

ebonyi is a disgrace to se...see wat akpabio has turned imoke's govt to

Dude, Absu is not in session!

And what's the connection between Akpabio, Imoke and Ebonyi state? How is Ebonyi a disgrace to you or your family?

Ebonyi state is actually the fastest developing state in the South of Nigeria....or maybe second to Akpabio's Akwa-ibom.

Unlike you and madam who sit yo asszz in far away USA and make very ignorant statements...I'm well trvelled in and outside Nigeria. I urge you to do the same if you must comment on issues outside your village in Nigeria and your neighbourhood in USA.

Anybody who knew Ebonyi before and after creation would know there's been a difference in human and physical development. However, the difference is not that glaring from the times of Sam Egwu and now.

Unlike the over publicized Greater PHcity and Eko Atlantic....Ocho Udo city is a new city being built by the present Administration to replace the old Abakaliki city. A lot of structures has sprung up and its exected to be completed in 2016.

Beside the new city, the biggest ultra modern internationl market in Africa has been 95 percent completed. With that, south southerners, camerounians, Gabonese and many West African countries won't hve to travel all the way to Onitsha to buy their goods.

This market is strategic cos of Calabar sea ports.

When next you are in Ebonyi, sacrifice half of your day and chatter a taxi to take you to Ocho Udo city.

In carrying out these projects, the governor neglected the currrent Abakaliki town making visitors think that that's all to Ebonyi state.
He also seem to have contracted all the project to his son and friends.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Adacollins(f): 7:32pm On Jun 01, 2013
4 ds statement, u must b daft! Teachers are d least respected n recognised civil servants in ds nation. N dt's y teaching job is seen as a last resort. Ever been 2 ministeries or Local govts? That is whr u see people that go 2 work once in a month. Teachers cannot do dat n u know y? Cos they impact directly into lives unlike other parastatals dt work on papers. Even saint Paul said dt teacher wil b judged wt stricter measures. Belive it or not, teachers are great, no controversy!
kalunomics: Look at how they are complaining about like they really do the job they are asking for the payment. I thought they've turned their staff room to markets, they should be able to make money out of it. grin

Government should instill tough punitive measures, if not dismissal, to teachers whom out-rightly miss schools and skip classes in a bid to fish out the culprits and curb this menace because there are a few who are committed to their job that deserves their salaries.

But wait, what is the reason of the government for owing them?
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jun 01, 2013
Nuzo':
All of a sudden, Fashola's opinion has become a yardstick for Mrs Nwando's opinions.

Ebonyi was among the first places crude oil was discovered in commercial quantity in Nigeria. Politics, logistics and inept leadership wouldn't allow exploration take plce.

Ebonyi sits on over 21 solid mineral deposit. Again, politics and dumb leaader wouldn't make it happen.

Ebonyi has the largest salt deposit in Africa yet nothing was done about it when they were under Anambra, Enugu and Abia. Nothing much is still being done about it now.

Inspite of the massive r.a.pe of the state treasury by ex millitary and civilian governors and their cronies like Nwando's family....Ebonyi state and her indigenes have by a long and unbelievable stretch done very well in Education since when the state was created in 1996 as opposed to when they were in Anambra, Abia and Enugu.

I'm not a fan of the current governor but I like stating the truth when need be.
Dude pays as at when due unlike the so-called rich states who only pay salaries on paper and Nairaland while owing their teachers for six months.

Only a fool will think that the so-called rich states pay their workers with Internally generated revenue.

Should FG withhold States allocations, I can assure you that Enugu, Imo and the so-called rich states will be the first to collapse. We are not even talking about states outside south east.

Ebonyi and Nigeria at large need visionary and selfless leaders that can harness the abundant natural and human resourses in their various states and not merger with people who give Igbos bad name.

Yeye!

Pele
Obviously you are from Ebonyi state
Crude oil in commercial qty indeed
After that what?

Thank God I ran four forty from the Ebonyi man that wanted to confuse me in my youth lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Backward state grin grin
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by FSU: 7:53pm On Jun 01, 2013
babyosisi:

Pele
Obviously you are from Ebonyi state
Crude oil in commercial qty indeed
After that what?

Thank God I ran four forty from the Ebonyi man that wanted to confuse me in my youth lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Backward state

Leave Nuzo to continue to wallow in self adulation while Ebonyi depreciates further and further. Backward people.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nobody: 7:54pm On Jun 01, 2013
FSU:

Leave Nuzo to continue to wallow in self adulation while Ebonyi depreciates further and further. Backward people.

So he is from Ebonyi true true
No wonder he drank acid on my post
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nuzo1(m): 8:54pm On Jun 01, 2013
You guys seem to be missing the point of the debate. Well, except you guys are attacking Ebonyi for some other personal reasons of which may be a heartbreaak from some Ebonyi guys or losing out of contracts.

No need for sentiments.

No doubt, Ebonyians are backward in terms of education when compared to older state like Anambra. And this was as a result of being marginalizedd when they were in Anambra, Enugu and Abia.

Inspite of the looting of state treasury by their past and present leaders, Ebonyians have and still massively enrolling in seconday and tertiary eduction in the state.

Ebonyi state had no university before state creation. Now the state has 2 federal universities, several polytechnics and a university that surpasses Esut and ASU oli in acedemic ratings. You can hardly sort your courses in EBSU....you must read!

Again, we accept we are backward but the young state that was created in 1996 has done more for the educationally 'backward' state than it did while in Anambra, Enugu and Abia.

Whether we convert all the LGAs to states or merge the whole S/eastern states together....bad leadership and corruption is the bane of development anywhere.
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nobody: 11:17pm On Jun 01, 2013
m.esther96:
c bad mouth,u sef wetin do ur grammar

Obviously, he was once a victim of the derelict system
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by Nobody: 3:18am On Jun 02, 2013
Nuzo':
You guys seem to be missing the point of the debate. Well, except you guys are attacking Ebonyi for some other personal reasons of which may be a heartbreaak from some Ebonyi guys or losing out of contracts.

No need for sentiments.

No doubt, Ebonyians are backward in terms of education when compared to older state like Anambra. And this was as a result of being marginalizedd when they were in Anambra, Enugu and Abia.

Inspite of the looting of state treasury by their past and present leaders, Ebonyians have and still massively enrolling in seconday and tertiary eduction in the state.

Ebonyi state had no university before state creation. Now the state has 2 federal universities, several polytechnics and a university that surpasses Esut and ASU oli in acedemic ratings. You can hardly sort your courses in EBSU....you must read!

Again, we accept we are backward but the young state that was created in 1996 has done more for the educationally 'backward' state than it did while in Anambra, Enugu and Abia.

Whether we convert all the LGAs to states or merge the whole S/eastern states together....bad leadership and corruption is the bane of development anywhere.

OK
Re: Teachers Begin Strike In 11 States by cfc: 6:34am On Jun 02, 2013
Texas.Cowgirl:

My brother, the thing funny die grin

I think they're simply tired, give them another month to pick up where they left off grin grin

My sister cowgirl, hope that is not your real picture? Cos you got my skin outta my body.....my medical advise for you, pls lose some weight #thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2019: @bukolasaraki Calls On Nigerians To Vote In @atiku And @peterobi / Peter Obi, Poll Leader In Nigerian Elections Pledges Debt Revamp - Bloomberg / IPPIS: ASCS Uncover 17,000 Workers’ Names Removed, Replaced With Personal Assist

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.