Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,329 members, 7,811,967 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:00 AM

PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi (886 Views)

PDP Behind Fuel Scarcity - Tinubu / PDP Behind Economic Crisis In Osun – APC / PDP Exonerates APC, Tinubu In Toyin Saraki’s EFCC Ordeal, Says PDP Behind Probe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi by iwanchop(m): 1:43am On Jun 02, 2013
Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State has said the Peoples Democratic Party is behind the succession crisis rocking the Nigeria Governors' Forum.

Obi, who spoke with journalists in Abuja on Friday, criticised the leadership of the party for not allowing other political parties produce the chairman of the forum.

Other governors� who were present when Obi spoke at the Governor Jonah Jang's-led faction of the forum's secretariat in Abuja were Jang, Olusegun Mimiko (Ondo State) and Liyel Imoke (Cross River).

He said the initial plan was to allow the vice -chairman of the forum succeed the chairman when his tenure expired.

He, however, said some hawks within the leadership of the party did not allow him succeed the then chairman of the forum, Senator Bukola Saraki.

He said the PDP rejected him because he belongs to All Progressive Grand Alliance and not the ruling party.

Obi said, "In 2009, when there was a little problem with the leadership of NGF, a committee was set up to look into our constitution.

"That was the draft constitution, which was modelled after the American Governors' Forum Constitution, which states that a chairman and a vice-chairman will emerge by consensus of all the governors, because it is a voluntary organisation.

"After two years, the chairman leaves and a vice-chairman, automatically takes over, while a new vice-chairman is again chosen by consensus. Up to that 2009 May, we never had a vice-chairman, there was nothing called vice-chairman.

"The debate that night was whether we would make it two years or one year, because some people thought two years was too long. That was how I emerged as vice-chairman of the NGF.

"Two of us were named, but the majority of the governors said, let Peter be (the vice-chairman). "In May 2011, when it was time for me to take over, while the vice-chairman would come from the North, I came back from United Kingdom one morning and they told me that the PDP was worried that they had 26 governors and how could they allow me from one party, to be chairman? I was the only one from my party then.

"What did they do? PDP called the four PDP governors from the South-East牋 and said, 'We don't want it to leave the South-East. However, it has to be a PDP governor.'

"The four PDP governors then, Theodore Orji of Abia State, Martins Elechi of Ebonyi, Sullivan Chime of Enugu and Ikedi Ohakim of Imo signed this letter, [displaying the letter to journalists ] to Governor Saraki, nominating me for the position.

"But again, PDP said no, that the NGF chair must remain in PDP.� Vice-President Namadi Sambo invited me and told me about the worries of the PDP. I now told him, 'Well, no problem.'

"Then Saraki told me he was going to have his last meeting in Kwara and of course, we all decided to go to Kwara. When I arrived Kwara, it was Governor Imoke who called me and said, 'We have decided to deal with the issue of chairmanship and we have nominated somebody.'"

Obi said the leadership of the party called the then PDP governors from the South-East and asked them to nominate another governor from the zone as Saraki's successor.

He said the governors rejected the request. Obi read a letter written to Saraki by the four governors to buttress his point.

The letter, dated May 19, 2005 read, "We, the governors of the South-East states of Nigeria wish to respectively nominate Mr. Peter Obi, Governor of Anambra State of Nigeria as a candidate for the position of chairman, Nigeria Governors' Forum.

"Our action in this regard is unanimous as a zone and is borne out of our firm conviction that he will discharge the functions of this office with credibility, dedication and due diligence.

"Kindly accept the assurances of our highest regards."

The letter was signed by Orji, Elechi, Chime and Ikedi.

Saraki however said there was no trade off, adding that the convention was that, the party with the majority governors should provide the forum's chairman.

Saraki said, "At the meeting in Ilorin, when the PDP governors insisted that the office of chairman of the NGF must go to the party with the
Re: PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi by segunobe(m): 2:15am On Jun 02, 2013
This man must confused. What point is he trying to make?
Re: PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi by Zonacom(m): 4:35am On Jun 02, 2013
If Obi actually said all this, then am sorry for him. This man annoys me with his frequent travels to abuja.
Re: PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi by fyneguy: 4:49am On Jun 02, 2013
How did this make Jang the winner of the election?
Re: PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi by Garrithe1st: 5:05am On Jun 02, 2013
Peter Obiageli just dey yarn dust..
Re: PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi by SlyIg(f): 5:06am On Jun 02, 2013
But his party is known as APGA/PDP! They should have allowed him chair the forum.
Re: PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi by otokx(m): 5:34am On Jun 02, 2013
Why is he trying to sing a different tune? What kind of confusion is this?
Re: PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi by julius0098: 5:36am On Jun 02, 2013
This man seems to me as someone who has no mind of his own. He knows PDP is the problem and still follows them like Zombee. So, he's even interested in becoming the chairman of the forum. I'm really very sorry for him. The insincerity that joined them together wiil soon scatter them, it's just a matter of time.

It's a pity
Re: PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi by Gamji007: 6:14am On Jun 02, 2013
What nonesense is this one saying. All the noise he's making is meant to justify making Jang the chairman, but he is instead making the Retardeen's theory more valid.

"THE MORE A RETARDEEN TRIES TO PROVE THAT HE IS NOT A RETARDEEN THE MORE HE SHOWS HIS RETARDNESS."

1 Like

Re: PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi by CyberG: 6:29am On Jun 02, 2013
I dey laff oooo...follow-followy, follow-follow grin grin cheesy
Re: PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi by Tolexander: 6:34am On Jun 02, 2013
All these, just because they didn't allow him to succeed Bukola Saraki!

Seems he was high when he was saying this!
Re: PDP Behind Governors' Forum Problem-gov Peter Obi by lagcity(m): 7:08am On Jun 02, 2013
Igbo men and chor chor chor. between Igbo men and Yoruba women, I don't know who sabi talk pass grin they can talk trash from morning till night. orji uzor kalu is also like that.

(1) (Reply)

Only Buhari Qualifies To Be Presidential Candidate Of APC – Aliyu / BREAKING: Judge Sends Lagos Speaker, Ikuforiji, To Prison / Rivers State: Fight In House Of Assembly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.