Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,460 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:01 AM

Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff (8010 Views)

NERC Set To Release New Electricity Tariff / Prof Osinbajo – Nigerians Should Expect Higher Electricity Tarrifs / FG Tells Nigerians To Brace Up For New Higher Electricity Bills. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Uche2nna(m): 7:44pm On May 05, 2008
Sky Blue:

I am still confused, exactly what are we trying to manage? Is it the generating facilities that cannot even give us up to a simple 5000MW? So managing this is the answer to our problems? Maintenance is an issue, but let it not take away from the fact that we need aggressive development and building in the power sector and many other sectors (if not all) in the country. When we build we can maintain. But maintaining a non existent power sector that $16billion was supposedly sank into?

I don't understand what You exactly confused about? Why are we not generating up to that amount of megawatts? Is it because we don't have the capacity or the personnel to do that? If we managed our resources well enough , we would have enough to produce twice that amount and then some.
Management and maintenance does not start only when You have something on ground. It starts way before that. Ask yourself,was the $16 billion actually put into the power sector? That is management right there for You.
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Kobojunkie: 7:46pm On May 05, 2008
@Uchenna, please expound on your idea that managing 5000MW will cause it to double and that will somehow light up all of Nigeria. I really would like to understand the reasoning involved here.
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by SkyBlue1: 7:48pm On May 05, 2008
$16 billion was apparently spent on the power sector but don't be coy, we both know it wasn't and that was as a result of corruption not mainly mismanagement as you seem to imply. Listen, wether we manage for the next 5 decades what we have, the facilities are outdated and don't have the capacity to produce even up to 10% of the energy we need for the country to be truely industrialised. We need aggressive development and building of facilities. And yes when they are there and during building we can "manage" things. But managament is not the issue here. We don't have power so what on earth are we managing? 5000MW for 140 million people? And management is the fundamental issue? Honestly? Really?
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Uche2nna(m): 7:50pm On May 05, 2008
Kobojunkie:

@Uchenna, please expound on your idea that managing 5000MW will cause it to double and that will somehow light up all of Nigeria. I really would like to understand the reasoning involved here.

I was responding to a post that said we are not generating up to that. My question is why not? Wasn't the facility built to do that?

And then what is stopping us from generating enough mega watts to power the whole country? I would like to know what is limiting us to the amount of megawatts we have now  undecided
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by SkyBlue1: 7:51pm On May 05, 2008
We haven't got enough facilities or power stations. It is not a matter of we have enough power stations to produce at least 60000MW and we are not "managing" it.
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by LadyT(f): 7:52pm On May 05, 2008
Greed is stopping us I mean we do apparently have the right equipment billions have been spent!
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by 4Play(m): 7:53pm On May 05, 2008
Kobojunkie:

The reality is that if you can't manage a 5000MW electricity infrastructure,you are definitely not going to be able to cope with 10,000MW infrastructure.

Of course,part of good management is that generation capacity will increase in the long term but I emphasised the management issue because debates like this inevitably end up being debates about how to increase generation capacity,as if that is our sole problem.

We forget that as late as the 90s,our generation capacity outstripped demand,we still didn't have anything close to 24hrs electricity then nor will we have it now if we focus our attention only on how to improve power generation.
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Uche2nna(m): 7:53pm On May 05, 2008
Oh, I just saw Sky's post.

Out-dated facilities, he says.

U guys might know the answer to this. Is 5000 mega watts due to the limitation of the kind of system we are using to generate our pwer these days or do we simply need to upgrade our facilites? Honestly, I dont know this answer to this. Maybe U guys might know.
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Kobojunkie: 7:54pm On May 05, 2008
Uche2nna:

I was responding to a post that said we are not generating up to that. My question is why not? Wasn't the facility built to do that?

And then what is stopping us from generating enough mega watts to power the whole country? I would like to know what is limiting us to the amount of megawatts we have now  undecided

Well, Let me pull a guess here. The reason why we are not generating enough could be of the following

1) The Facilities have been allowed to deteriorate to the point where what we are generating now is peak considering what we have left of these facilities

2) Population growth

3) No new facilities built in so many years even though billions have been pumped in to supposedly build fanthom energy mills
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by SkyBlue1: 7:55pm On May 05, 2008
LadyT:

Greed is stopping us I mean we do apparently have the right equipment billions have been spent!
Really? Are there any pictures you can find of these so called mordern facilities that all that money built? Hasn't the house probe shown that billions were given to the contractors and the guys had not even visited the sites?
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Uche2nna(m): 7:56pm On May 05, 2008
@ Kobo

U gave three reasons and honestly, I saw management written all over the three reasons.
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Kobojunkie: 7:56pm On May 05, 2008
4 Play:

The reality is that if you can't manage a 5000MW electricity infrastructure,you are definitely not going to be able to cope with 10,000MW infrastructure.

Of course,part of good management is that generation capacity will increase in the long term but I emphasised the management issue because debates like this inevitably end up being debates about how to increase generation capacity,as if that is our sole problem.

We forget,that as late as the 90s,our generating capacity outstripped demand,we still didn't have anything close to 24hrs electricity then nor will we have it now if we focus our attention only on how to improve power generation.

We already addressed managment issue actually. Instead of continuing to kid ourselves and lie with hands folded for Nigerians to magically adopt a maintainance culture, I am down with outsourcing that portion as well. At least until we wake up and decide to start managing our facilities ourselves.  

Uche2nna:

@ Kobo

You gave three reasons and honestly, I saw management written all over the three reasons.

This is why I have been saying we outsource the darn thing already. Since we have not been able to do it in almost 20 years, how much longer do we have to wait for Nigeria to catch up in that area before we can have electricity and build the nation

Here's my hope in this, since Yar adua has already approved higher tarriffs, companies will definitely come in to supply and manage and at the end of the day, this might turn the right way.
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Uche2nna(m): 7:58pm On May 05, 2008
Kobojunkie:

We already addressed managment issue actually. Instead of continuing to kid ourselves and lie with hands folded for Nigerians to magically adopt a maintainance culture, I am down with outsourcing that portion as well. At least until we wake up and decide to start managing our facilities ourselves.

What do U mean by outsourcing Like the one between US and Mexico undecided

Or is it inviting foriegn companies? I believe we have gone over that option. undecided
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by SkyBlue1: 7:59pm On May 05, 2008
@Uche2nna, managing 5 Naira and keeping the note clean and all that, is not going to magically give you 10 naira is it? We need more facilities and we need to build more of these aggresively because this power problem has to be tackled. It is not about managing something that is not even close to enough to say the least in the first place even if the facilities were running at optimum. Management is an issue yes, but is not the mfundamental issue is it? @Lady T, sorry i missed that smiley
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by LadyT(f): 8:00pm On May 05, 2008
Thats why I said GREED Sky blue I was being sarcastic!
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Uche2nna(m): 8:01pm On May 05, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Uche2nna, managing 5 Naira and keeping the note clean and all that, is not going to magically give you 10 naira is it? We need more facilities and we need to ,build more of these aggresively because this power problem has to be tackled. It is not about managing something that is not even close to enough to say the least in the first place even if the facilities were running at optimum.

It seems I have a different definition of management.  

Management to me includes being able to project into the future and make adjustments.

Kobo gave reasons why we might be having problems with power these days, if the Nigerian Government had made adjustments for that knowing that the population would always be on the rise, that power plants would break down and that new technologies would be available then we would not be having this conversation.
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by SkyBlue1: 8:03pm On May 05, 2008
@Uche2nna, in that case sure. But to be honest we are were we are right now so at this point in time i maintain we need aggresive development in this sector that is so vital and yet has been non existent and dormant.
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Kobojunkie: 8:03pm On May 05, 2008
Uche2nna:

What do You mean by outsourcing Like the one between US and Mexico undecided

Or is it inviting foriegn companies? I believe we have gone over that option. undecided

Well, Outsourcing is what Yar adua seems to be calling for now. I am not sure what else the government has up it's sleeves so I am going to try to explain my idea on the side. Basically opening the door to foreign companies to come in to build and maintain for a fixed amount of time, during which we agressively educate our own people to take over when this said time is over. Should we find our own still lacking at that point, we can just extend the contract and continue agressively beating maintainance into these people's heads, ROFLMAO!!
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by quadrillio(m): 8:04pm On May 05, 2008
Billion is being spent by every administration all in the name of "facilities to generate more power' am only sorry for the coming generation because they may come and the country will only have power for 1hour per day.

I have being watch 1 movie for 6days now on my DVD play, how many days will it take me to watch the whole DVD

God help us
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Kobojunkie: 8:05pm On May 05, 2008
quadrillio:

Billion is being spent by every administration all in the name of "facilities to generate more power' am only sorry for the coming generation because they may come and the country will only have power for 1hour per day.

I have being watch 1 movie for 6days now on my DVD play, how many days will it take me to watch the whole DVD

God help us

THAT iS SO FUNNY !!! ROFLMAO!!!!
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by SkyBlue1: 8:08pm On May 05, 2008
@quadrilloio, LOOOOL. That is soo funny. We might need to outsource but the preferrable solution is having local indeginous business running things to cycle and generate the wealth for Nigerian citizens. However the non existent education sector has made this very difficult. The country basically needs emergency in like every sector. Do people now understand why Yaradua's pace gets people (well me anyway) very worried?
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by 4Play(m): 8:09pm On May 05, 2008
Good management inevitably entails having enough generation capacity to cope with rising demand!My key problem is the way these debates are narrowed down to one particular area-power generation.

Simply put,if by some voodoo,we wake up tomorrow with 30,000MW of new power stations up and running,we won't still have anything close to 24hrs electricity.There is more to the power sector than simply generation plants.You still have to take care of transmission and distribution.Electricity is useless if you can't distribute it.

The overarching theme behind all this is good management.This could be attained by implementing reforms which include deregulation and privatisation.
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Kobojunkie: 8:10pm On May 05, 2008
Sky Blue:

@quadrilloio, LOOOOL. That is soo funny. We might need to outsource but the preferrable solution is having local local indeginous business running things to cycle and generate the wealth for Nigerian citizens. However the non existent education sector has made this very difficult. The country basically needs emergency in like every sector. Do people now understand why JYaradua's pace gets people (well me anyway) very worried?

Right on, and I hope those who believe Nigerian educational system is one of the best in the world are taking note. Let us stop fooling ourselves and start working to develop every sector. LMAO!!!
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by SkyBlue1: 8:11pm On May 05, 2008
@4 Play, i never disregarded management as an issue and i just assume that in a common sense disposition when government is building power plants they will also build distribution systems. I never dicounted management or maintenance as an issue but is that really the fundamental issue here? Managing what we don't even have?
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Uche2nna(m): 8:23pm On May 05, 2008
Sky Blue:

@4 Play, i never disregarded management as an issue and i just assume that in a common sense disposition when government is building power plants they will also build distribution systems. I never dicounted management or maintenance as an issue but is that really the fundamental issue here? Managing what we don't even have?

I agree with You that what we have is just pittance compared to what we actually need. We need to build more. I don't care which one comes first----managing what we have or increasing on what we already have. All of these are positive steps but unfortunately we are doing none. That to me is the fundamental issue.
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by SkyBlue1: 8:33pm On May 05, 2008
@Uche2nna you won't get any arguement from me about that. I really believe states should be striving to achieve stable power supplies in their own domain. As i posted much earlier on, there are plans to build a power station for Abuja alone with a capacity of 1300MW. Lagos needs stable power so badly and i hope Fashola addresses this because he is the only governor that seems to have sense among all of them because if the plan is to wait for Yaradua then we might have to wait a long time. Time which we can't afford to continue wasting
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Uche2nna(m): 8:41pm On May 05, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Uche2nna you won't get any arguement from me about that. I really believe states should be striving to achieve stable power supplies in their own domain.

Pardon my ignorance, are there allownance for states to operate power sources independent from the National grid.

Given the system we are operating, are states allowed to pursue alternative source of power? undecided
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by SkyBlue1: 8:45pm On May 05, 2008
I don't believe there is any law stating that states can't try to create power for themselves. In the last administration Peter Odilli "invested" in gas turbine but it turned out to be just another avenue he used to loot ridiculous ammounts of money. Obasanjo even went to commision it and the thing was not even working. Obasanjo was even told which switch to press (basically only one out of like 12). He ignored and pulled the other switches and nothing happened, corruption. Lagos at some point has apparently been looking into generating their own power and apparently chevron was going to do it. I don't know what happened or is happening with regards to that
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Uche2nna(m): 8:46pm On May 05, 2008
Yeah, I thought so,,,,, but was not sure.

Thanks
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by Uche2nna(m): 8:48pm On May 05, 2008
Sky Blue:

I don't believe there is any law stating that states can't try to create power for themselves. In the last administration Peter Odilli "invested" in gas turbine but it turned out to be just another avenue he used to loot ridiculous ammounts of money. Obasanjo even went to commision it and the thing was not even working. Obasanjo was even told which switch to press (basically only one out of like 12). He ignored and pulled the other switches and nothing happened, corruption. Lagos at some point has apparently been looking into generating their own power and apparently chevron was going to do it. I don't know what happened or is happening with regards to that

LMAO grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by quadrillio(m): 9:24pm On May 05, 2008
If there is anything that pisses me off about this man called Yar' dua the thing is pace. He's too slow in plans, am even afraid he may end up doing nothing in his first tenure(every president is guaranteed 8 years grin grin grin).

I pleading with any good government not to wait for him. he's just a SLOW POISON.
Re: Yar’adua Approves Higher Electricity Tariff by royalicon(m): 10:38pm On May 05, 2008
NO COMMENT PLS.

When it comes to electricity, am ashame of being a Nigerian,

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Govt Official Stashes N2bn Loot In Residence / Why Nigerians ‘ll Ask Jonathan To Run In 2015 – Okupe / Lagos To Complete Ongoing Projects In 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.