Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,812 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? (4303 Views)

Freshest Proof That Jesus Is The God Of The Old Testament!!!! / Is The God Of Israel God Of ALL? / Is "God" Of The Old Testament Satan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jun 06, 2013
Mr anony:
I think you got it wrong there brother. We follow Christ as Paul also followed Christ
My bro.. i don tell am tire o.he is just making himself a willing target to both atheist and muslims here.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by plaetton: 4:24pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:

What you are saying is quite different from the scriptures---what that verse is saying is that our teacher as a church is Paul. We follow his teachings, his teachings lead us to the truth in Christ.
First Jesus supposedly came to show us the way to salvation, then now, with Jesus having failed, we now have to follow Paul to Jesus.
So basically, you are saying that Jesus failed and Paul has to make up fir the failure.
Na wa..
The path to salvation now seems like a labyrinth.
He he he.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 4:24pm On Jun 06, 2013
Mr anony:
Lol no we follow his example as long as he follows Christ. Please read

1Co 1:12 But I say this, that every one of you says, I am of Paul, and I of Apollos, and I of Cephas, and I of Christ.
1Co 1:13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you, or were you baptized in the name of Paul?
1Co 1:14 I thank God that I baptized none of you except Crispus and Gaius,
1Co 1:15 lest any should say that I had baptized in my own name.
1Co 1:16 And I also baptized the household of Stephanas. Besides these, I do not know if I baptized any other.
1Co 1:17 For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel; not in wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of no effect.

1Co 3:4 For while one says, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are you not carnal?
1Co 3:5 Who then is Paul, and who is Apollos, but ministers by whom you believed, even as the Lord gave to each?
1Co 3:6 I have planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase.
1Co 3:7 So then neither is he who plants anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase.
1Co 3:8 So he planting, and he watering, are one, and each one shall receive his own reward according to his own labor.
1Co 3:9 For of God we are fellow-workers, a field of God, and you are a building of God.
1Co 3:10 According to the grace of God which is given to me, as a wise master builder, I have laid the foundation, and another builds on it. But let every man be careful how he builds on it.
1Co 3:11 For any other foundation can no one lay than the one being laid, who is Jesus Christ.

Don't misconstrue what the bible is saying, no one says you should worship Paul but follow his guide, his teachings because the church shall be judged by his gospel-

Romans 2:16

King James Version (KJV)

16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 4:27pm On Jun 06, 2013
plaetton:
First Jesus supposedly came to show us the way to salvation, then now, with Jesus having failed, we now have to follow Paul to Jesus.
So basically, you are saying that Jesus failed and Paul has to make up fir the failure.
Na wa..
The path to salvation now seems like a labyrinth.
He he he.

Jesus did not fail, His ministry on earth was primarily for the jewish people. I explained that earlier, the gospel to the gentile could only happen after Christ pays the ransome with his life for us.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 4:31pm On Jun 06, 2013
Bidam: My bro.. i don tell am tire o.he is just making himself a willing target to both atheist and muslims here.

Bidam, you should know my fixation is in the scriptures and not what you say by now

1 Corinthians 11:1

King James Version (KJV)

11 Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

People just follow culture and what they have heard..why can't you just leave it as God wants it.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by ayenny02(m): 4:44pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:

Paul had the new gospel and a fresh revelation which the rest did not have.
Mr man, Paul was a liar, his doctrine was different from Jesus and disciples let me give you another detail maybe u will understand;
Now as he journeyed he approached Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed about him. And he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, “Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?” And he said, “Who are you, Lord?” And he said, “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting; but rise and enter the city, and you will be told what you are to do. The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, hearing the voice but seeing no one.” (Acts 9:3-19; RSV)

Blinded by the light that he alone can see, Paul is sent to meet, Ananias. This disciple is to tell him of his mission and to heal Paul of his affliction.
These are purported to be Paul’s words as spoken to Luke. Paul offers witnesses, not by name, but by inference; “the men who were traveling with him.” The men are not named, we do not know who they might have been. They see nothing, but hear the voice.

We may assume many things, but can prove nothing. Chief among our objections to this report is clear. In the event of such an occurrence, including Jesus’ several experiences, witnesses are necessary.
shdemidemi:
Even in Jesus’ baptism there are witnesses, John the Baptist and his disciples, which group included Andrew. There were also three ‘named’ witnesses to the transfiguration.

Throughout the history of the Bible, witnesses are provided who are named, and with whom we are familiar in the course of these events. Even Aaron is made part and party to the mission of Moses, spoken to by God and given the very words of God, (Exodus 4:15-16; RSV) as Moses received them in his vision of the burning bush. (Exodus 4:27-28)
shdemidemi:
Later, Paul speaks again through Luke, and the vision experience changes.

“Now those who were with me saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me.” (Acts 22:9-13; RSV)

This time the witnesses hear no voice but they see the light. Oddly enough, they are not blinded as Paul is reported to have been. The statement is, however, absolute and it contradicts Paul’s previous account. Here again, Paul is sent to Ananias to receive his ‘calling’ and a restoration of his sight.

Later still, when Paul addresses King Agrippa, the witnesses hear nothing, they see nothing. and the vision becomes Paul’s alone.

“At midday, O King, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, shining round me and those who journeyed with me. And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew language…” (Acts 26:13-14; RSV)

Hebrew, or Aramaic? It is irrelevant except to note that not only has this addition been made to the vision, but now the voice tells Paul what his task is to be. Ananias is forgotten, and nowhere does Paul state that he was blinded. Added also is the fact that this time, Paul claims that he sees the speaker

2 Likes

Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Mranony: 4:47pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:

Don't misconstrue what the bible is saying, no one says you should worship Paul but follow his guide, his teachings because the church shall be judged by his gospel-

Romans 2:16

King James Version (KJV)

16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel
Those verses I quoted was not even talking about worshiping Paul at all. It is talking specifically about following Paul (Read a few other translations to compare).
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Mranony: 4:48pm On Jun 06, 2013
Bidam: My bro.. i don tell am tire o.he is just making himself a willing target to both atheist and muslims here.
Unnecessary stubbornness is a bad thing. I can see he has given Plaetton a lucky break.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 4:53pm On Jun 06, 2013
@Ayenny02
Paul did not write the book of Luke, neither did he write the acts of apostle. If you claim Paul lied then you are saying all that was said by Christ about Saul's sight and the work he was to do for the gospel were all lies. You are not applying yourself to the study of the scripture atall.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 4:59pm On Jun 06, 2013
Mr anony:
Those verses I quoted was not even talking about worshiping Paul at all. It is talking specifically about following Paul (Read a few other translations to compare).

No, it isn't. Read it properly, the people were idolising the teachers, Paul told them himself and Apollos are just servants of Christ. That has nothing to do with the teachings that the church is to follow. Remember Aquilla and Priscilla taught Apollo the same gospel Paul was teaching after they were taught by Paul.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by plaetton: 5:01pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:

Jesus did not fail, His ministry on earth was primarily for the jewish people. I explained that earlier, the gospel to the gentile could only happen after Christ pays the ransome with his life for us.

So let get this straight. Jesus came to save the Jew, and Paul came to save the gentiles.
Wow. Now we two saviours.
Ok. This is new.
So that's why you insist that we should ignore Jesus's earthly ministry?
He he.
No wonder Christians are a very confused bunch
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 5:14pm On Jun 06, 2013
plaetton:

So let get this straight. Jesus came to save the Jew, and Paul came to save the gentiles.
Ok. This is new.
He he.
I really don't get why you bother yourself with this foolish things, don't bother mate
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Nobody: 5:14pm On Jun 06, 2013
Mr anony:
Unnecessary stubbornness is a bad thing. I can see he has given Plaetton a lucky break.
ofcos he did. This ain't funny at all.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 5:18pm On Jun 06, 2013
Bidam: ofcos he did. This ain't funny at all.

You can do better than this bro, why are you acting like a woman here. If I say something wrong, show me through scriptures, I will take it.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:

You can do better than this bro, why are you acting like a woman here. If I say something wrong, show me through scriptures, I will take it.
You were actually corrected by Mr. Anony. But e bi like say you know better.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 5:43pm On Jun 06, 2013
Bidam: You were actually corrected by Mr. Anony. But e bi like say you know better.

Trust me, i don't. All I believe is the book, as soon as you show me and it is right, I will definitely agree. I am sur anony has gone to check if it is true but you are definitely not like him.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Mranony: 6:06pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:

Trust me, i don't. All I believe is the book, as soon as you show me and it is right, I will definitely agree. I am sur anony has gone to check if it is true but you are definitely not like him.
Lol, ok let me see if I can help you: Would you agree that these express the same meaning?

Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. (NIV)

And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ. (NLT)
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 6:10pm On Jun 06, 2013
Mr anony:
Lol, ok let me see if I can help you: Would you agree that these express the same meaning?

Follow my example, as I follow the example of Christ. (NIV)

And you should imitate me, just as I imitate Christ. (NLT)

You are correct, they mean the same thing
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Mranony: 6:29pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:
You are correct, they mean the same thing
Good, if you agree, wouldn't you agree that we only follow Paul's example as long he follows Christ? i.e. if Paul disagreed with Christ, we would have to reject Paul and follow Christ. Thankfully Paul does not disagree with Christ.
The point is that the person we are really following is Christ. and that is what Paul points out when says this:

1Co 3:3 You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarrelling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men?
1Co 3:4 For when one says, I follow Paul, and another, I follow Apollos, are you not mere men?
1Co 3:5 What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe— as the Lord has assigned to each his task.
1Co 3:6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.
1Co 3:7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.
1Co 3:8 The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labour.
1Co 3:9 For we are God's fellow-workers; you are God's field, God's building.
1Co 3:10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds.
1Co 3:11 For no-one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

P/s: Following Christ does not mean we have to cut out the whole bible and follow only the specific words Christ said. Rather it means we follow his teachings as well as the entire Word of God as the Holy Spirit teaches us
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 6:47pm On Jun 06, 2013
Mr anony: Good, if you agree, wouldn't you agree that we only follow Paul's example as long he follows Christ? i.e. if Paul disagreed with Christ, we would have to reject Paul and follow Christ. Thankfully Paul does not disagree with Christ.
The point is that the person we are really following is Christ. and that is what Paul points out when says this:

1Co 3:3 You are still worldly. For since there is jealousy and quarrelling among you, are you not worldly? Are you not acting like mere men?
1Co 3:4 For when one says, I follow Paul, and another, I follow Apollos, are you not mere men?
1Co 3:5 What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe— as the Lord has assigned to each his task.
1Co 3:6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.
1Co 3:7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow.
1Co 3:8 The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labour.
1Co 3:9 For we are God's fellow-workers; you are God's field, God's building.
1Co 3:10 By the grace God has given me, I laid a foundation as an expert builder, and someone else is building on it. But each one should be careful how he builds.
1Co 3:11 For no-one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ.

P/s: Following Christ does not mean we have to cut out the whole bible and follow only the specific words Christ said. Rather it means we follow his teachings as well as the entire Word of God as the Holy Spirit teaches us
We are saying the same thing bro, everything Paul did was inspired by Christ, Paul was only a tool the Holy Spirit used. Paul himself is an ordinary man but he was used to carry the church age gospel which we must adhere to, to be saved.

As regards your note, Christ's earthly ministry was primarily for the Jews, it isn't for the church albeit we can learn from it.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Mranony: 6:57pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:
We are saying the same thing bro, everything Paul did was inspired by Christ, Paul was only a tool the Holy Spirit used. Paul himself is an ordinary man but he was used to carry the church age gospel which we must adhere to, to be saved.

As regards your note, Christ's earthly ministry was primarily for the Jews, it isn't for the church albeit we can learn from it.
Ok fine.

Yes I agree Christ's ministry was primarily Jewish however, it was not exclusively Jewish.

I believe you will also agree but I just wanted to stress it so that people don't get the wrong message and start saying silly things like "Christ came only for the Jews"

1 Like

Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 7:21pm On Jun 06, 2013
Mr anony:
Ok fine.

Yes I agree Christ's ministry was primarily Jewish however, it was not exclusively Jewish.

I believe you will also agree but I just wanted to stress it so that people don't get the wrong message and start saying silly things like "Christ came only for the Jews"

True, I am with you here bro.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 10:29pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:

As a christian, the scripture says we should follow Paul (not Peter,not James, Not John, not Jesus earthly ministry).

1 Corinthians 11:1
Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.

What if you disagree with Paul, then what?
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 10:43pm On Jun 06, 2013
From_Guiriga:
What if you disagree with Paul, then what?
If you disagree with Paul, then you disagree with God. Remember he was sent by Christ, without the message he carries you are condemned by God.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 10:43pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:

My God, I have never seen anything as shallow as this on this forum. How dare you say this rubbish, who told you how to be saved. If it was not for this man salvation would be for Jews only. Are you wiser than the scripture itself, this is a man that carried a new revelation he got from Christ to every end of the world. He was hated, was stoned was beaten and beheaded for you to be saved through Christ and you have the effrontery through ignorance to spit garbage. You irk me.

His question was not shallow. It is a common sense question that because you are so into Paul you cannot formulate a sensible answer other than to defend Paul.
Brother, think man. Do you really think that the most high God is really concerned with what ethic background you come from. Salvation is of the Jews or FROM the Jews? I guess it depends of what translation you read I guess.

Scriptures, come on is in your own scriptures that the letter kills but the spirit sets free. Besides is it not in Genesis that "man has become like one of us knowing good and evil"? Look, this was supposedly said before any scripture was penned down!

Was not Paul the one that said "thanks God he was not born a Gentile"?
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 10:48pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:

Did Paul meet Jesus in his earthly ministry?

Christ said-
12 I have yet many things to say unto you, but ye cannot bear them now.
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

At this time you and I as gentiles were not part of the fold but before he died, some gentiles came to see him but Christ could not attend to them because he had to die for them to be saved--

22 Philip cometh and telleth Andrew: and again Andrew and Philip tell Jesus.

23 And Jesus answered them, saying, The hour is come, that the Son of man should be glorified.

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit

Christ sent his disciples but they could not do the job. So, he came up with a man called Saul that was an enforcer of the law of Moses.

Bro..read your Acts of Apostle, if you understand that book then you won't ask this sort of question.

That is your interpretation...
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 10:53pm On Jun 06, 2013
From_Guiriga:

His question was not shallow. It is a common sense question that because you are so into Paul you cannot formulate a sensible answer other than to defend Paul.
Brother, think man. Do you really think that the most high God is really concerned with what ethic background you come from. Salvation is of the Jews or FROM the Jews? I guess it depends of what translation you read I guess.

Scriptures, come on is in your own scriptures that the letter kills but the spirit sets free. Besides is it not in Genesis that "man has become like one of us knowing good and evil"? Look, this was supposedly said before any scripture was penned down!

Was not Paul the one that said "thanks God he was not born a Gentile"?

My brother, read your old testament properly to know God knows his people and he will destroy anyone or nation for his people.
Man became like God, yes. Man retained the image of God but lost the likeness/character of God. The spiritual limk between God and man broke at that point.
educate me..where did Paul thank God he wasn't born a gentile?
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 10:54pm On Jun 06, 2013
From_Guiriga:

That is your interpretation...
what is your interpretation?
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 10:56pm On Jun 06, 2013
plaetton:

Ok. This is new.
He he.

Very confused!
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 11:00pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:
what is your interpretation?

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

You don't need Paul to know this.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 11:02pm On Jun 06, 2013
From_Guiriga:

Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Ok, you are right and I am wrong. Thanks for sharing your edifying views.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 11:23pm On Jun 06, 2013
shdemidemi:

My brother, read your old testament properly to know God knows his people and he will destroy anyone or nation for his people.
Man became like God, yes. Man retained the image of God but lost the likeness/character of God. The spiritual limk between God and man broke at that point.
educate me..where did Paul thank God he wasn't born a gentile?

That is what I'm asking...Did he say that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Prophet Muhammad Scandalous Love Affair With Mariya His wives maid / The Four Types Of Tithes As Mentioned in The Bible / Complete List Of All Apostle Joshua Selman Messages (2011 - 2020)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.