Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,841 members, 7,813,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 07:24 PM

Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? (4304 Views)

Freshest Proof That Jesus Is The God Of The Old Testament!!!! / Is The God Of Israel God Of ALL? / Is "God" Of The Old Testament Satan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 9:17pm On Jun 07, 2013
Mr anony:
God does not show favouritism

I agree.
What's your take on this Romans 1:16
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 9:20pm On Jun 07, 2013
shdemidemi:
No, he is not. If you are for him you are saved. So everyone has a chance in this church age to be just before him.
I agree.
What church age are you talking about?
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Mranony: 9:31pm On Jun 07, 2013
From_Guiriga:

Give me your context.
my context? sure you don't mean the bible's context?
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Mranony: 9:35pm On Jun 07, 2013
From_Guiriga:

I agree.
What's your take on this Romans 1:16
I say Amen to that. The gospel came to the Jews first after all. Following in line after the Jews doesn't make our salvation any less authentic. Read Colossians 3:11
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 10:33pm On Jun 07, 2013
Mr anony: @shdemidemi, Christ DID NOT pay the devil anything. That is bad theology
I will address this topic on another thread. I can assure you, you will agree when I explain it.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 10:41pm On Jun 07, 2013
From_Guiriga:
I agree.

I agree in some regard. Job in your the bible was a "righteous/blameless" man before Yahweh was he not?
[/color]
[/quote]

Job was definitely a righteous man at that time, what made Job righteous at his time does not make you and I righteous now because the scripture is not stagnant but it is a progressive revelation.

During Christ's earthly ministry, the people were righteous by believing Christ is the son of God. The church age started after Christ died and resurrected, at this time the message moved from believing Christ is the son of God to believing the death and resurrection of Christ.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 11:35pm On Jun 07, 2013
shdemidemi:
[/color]

Job was definitely a righteous man at that time, what made Job righteous at his time does not make you and I righteous now because the scripture is not stagnant but it is a progressive revelation.

During Christ's earthly ministry, the people were righteous by believing Christ is the son of God. The church age started after Christ died and resurrected, at this time the message moved from believing Christ is the son of God to believing the death and resurrection of Christ.

Do you need progressive revelation to have a clean heart?
"...Do unto others as you will like them to do unto you..." Nothing progressive or religious or Jewish about this. This is the Law and the prophets.
What's progressive is the interpretation of religious leaders.
In fact, this was Buddhist saying way before Jesus came on the scene. Buddhism: 560 BC, From the Udanavarga 5:18- "Hurt not others with that which pains yourself."

Who moved the message from doing the will of the Father?

1 Like

Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Mranony: 11:37pm On Jun 07, 2013
shdemidemi: I will address this topic on another thread. I can assure you, you will agree when I explain it.
I can't wait. Be sure to link it where I can see it
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 12:13am On Jun 08, 2013
From_Guiriga:

Do you need progressive revelation to have a clean heart?
"...Do unto others as you will like them to do unto you..." Nothing progressive or religious or Jewish about this. This is the Law and the prophets.
What's progressive is the interpretation of religious leaders.
In fact, this was Buddhist saying way before Jesus came on the scene. Buddhism: 560 BC, From the Udanavarga 5:18- "Hurt not others with that which pains yourself."

Who moved the message from doing the will of the Father?
what you are talking about are morals. Morals don't make you righteous or good before God now, the bible says 'all our righteousness/morals are like filthy rags before God' what makes you righteous is believing the gospel of Jesus Christ. The power in the gospel is what changes and renews your mind, intuition and perspective to mirror that of God.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 5:17am On Jun 08, 2013
shdemidemi:
what you are talking about are morals. Morals don't make you righteous or good before God now, the bible says 'all our righteousness/morals are like filthy rags before God' what makes you righteous is believing the gospel of Jesus Christ. The power in the gospel is what changes and renews your mind, intuition and perspective to mirror that of God.

You are not addressing my questions brother. "...Do unto others as you will like them to do unto you..." is in the bible. This is the law and the prophets. Jesus morals are not good enough for you?

I posted the Buddha because according to Buddhist he said this. Years before Jesus and years before the tribe of Judah came on the scene. This is not progressive. Its been around for a while now.

About this filthy rag thing....it was their LORD that made them err from his ways and hardened their hearts....
How do you tell a baby he is a filthy rag before God?
Brother think these things through...
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 5:22am On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:
I say Amen to that. The gospel came to the Jews first after all. Following in line after the Jews doesn't make our salvation any less authentic. Read Colossians 3:11

You are right. The early follower of Jesus were from Judah or lived in Judea.
What Jews are you talking about?
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Mranony: 6:03am On Jun 08, 2013
From_Guiriga: You are right. The early follower of Jesus were from Judah or lived in Judea.
What Jews are you talking about?

What Jews where you thinking of when you brought up Romans 1:16?
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Nobody: 6:44am On Jun 08, 2013
@_Guiriga from the righteousness perspective i tend to agree more with shdemidemi. Paul would not have boasted about his righteousness if he had confidence in his ability.#If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.#
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 8:26am On Jun 08, 2013
From_Guiriga:
You are not addressing my questions brother. "...Do unto others as you will like them to do unto you..." is in the bible. This is the law and the prophets. Jesus morals are not good enough for you?

I posted the Buddha because according to Buddhist he said this. Years before Jesus and years before the tribe of Judah came on the scene. This is not progressive. Its been around for a while now.

About this filthy rag thing....it was their LORD that made them err from his ways and hardened their hearts....
How do you tell a baby he is a filthy rag before God?
Brother think these things through...

I get what you are saying, but the bible makes it clear that being a good man or doing unto others as you will like them to do unto you does not qualify you as just and right before God. What makes you right before God is believing in the gospel of Christ, all the good manners can be built on the platform of the faith. The bible says 'the just/righteous shall live by faith'.

You and I did not become sinners because of the evil things we do, we became sinners because one man that we all came from sinned thus every man that comes after him carries the gene of the first man. By this any innocent child coming to the world carries the same 'DNA' of the first man Adam. That is why you do not need to teach your child how to lie or how to rebel, it all came with them as a result of the sin of the first man imputed in every one.

Christ has come to impute righteousness in all man in the same manner, As soon as you believe, you are dead to the sins you inherited, it is left for you to now leave a sanctified life like Christ which can only be possible by the gradual renewal of your mind through truth and wisdom of God's word.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 8:45am On Jun 08, 2013
Bidam: @_Guiriga from the righteousness perspective i tend to agree more with shdemidemi. Paul would not have boasted about his righteousness if he had confidence in his ability.#If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.#

Thank you Bidam for helping us with that verse.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 2:50pm On Jun 08, 2013
Mr anony:
What Jews where you thinking of when you brought up Romans 1:16?
Those who does the will of the Father.
That is ANYONE with a clean heart.

I ask again, what Jews are you talking about?
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 3:00pm On Jun 08, 2013
From_Guiriga:

The Jews are not people who do the will of the father. The Jews(descendants of Abraham) are as guilty as the gentile.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 3:12pm On Jun 08, 2013
shdemidemi:

I get what you are saying, but the bible makes it clear that being a good man or doing unto others as you will like them to do unto you does not qualify you as just and right before God. What makes you right before God is believing in the gospel of Christ, all the good manners can be built on the platform of the faith. The bible says 'the just/righteous shall live by faith'.
But this is Jesus teaching. As a matter of fact, this is the Law and the prophets. Are you going to teach different from the master? If you believe in the Gospel of Chris then you will believe and do what he said: Which is do unto others as you will like them to do unto you...Having a clean heart will not make you right before God?
Love thy neighbor as thyself....will not make you right before God?
Then why would Jesus teach these things my brother. Remember: He says what the father has told him to say.

You and I did not become sinners because of the evil things we do, we became sinners because one man that we all came from sinned thus every man that comes after him carries the gene of the first man. By this any innocent child coming to the world carries the same 'DNA' of the first man Adam. That is why you do not need to teach your child how to lie or how to rebel, it all came with them as a result of the sin of the first man imputed in every one.
I get that. So if that is the case then my sinning ways are not my own fault. It's "in my DNA" like the color of my hair and so forth. Can an Ethiopian change his color? The answer to that is no. So I cannot change my sinning ways then? Look, sin is one thing, mortality is another. I think your church is teaching original sin. Which if you think it through, does not add up. They are mistaking with mortality. I ask you my friend, a man that lived 6,000 years ago is the reason for your sinning ways?

Christ has come to impute righteousness in all man in the same manner, As soon as you believe, you are dead to the sins you inherited, it is left for you to now leave a sanctified life like Christ which can only be possible by the gradual renewal of your mind through truth and wisdom of God's word.
That is standard Christian teaching to keep folks in fear of God. I did not inherit sin. Mortality, yes. Christ came to give life and life everlasting. I'm in agreement with the rest of the comment.

Church theology is running against Christ teachings. Trust me.
Ask your pastor this brother: If we are all born sinners, then why are they getting married and bringing babies to this world. Not only they are doing this, but they are telling their fellow members to get married before having children because that is the right way/Godly to do it.
That makes them the biggest sinners out there!
Trust me, they don't believe what they are teaching out there. The same fear that comes to person when he takes what is not his is the same fear that should come upon them when are going to have children.

Give thanks for the reasoning still.
Good reasoning.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by shdemidemi(m): 3:32pm On Jun 08, 2013
From_Guiriga:

Church theology is running against Christ teachings. Trust me.
Ask your pastor this brother: If we are all born sinners, then why are they getting married and bringing babies to this world. Not only they are doing this, but they are telling their fellow members to get married before having children because that is the right way/Godly to do it.
That makes them the biggest sinners out there!
Trust me, they don't believe what they are teaching out there. The same fear that comes to person when he takes what is not his is the same fear that should come upon them when are going to have children.

Give thanks for the reasoning still.
Good reasoning.
There is nothing wrong in getting married bro. God supports marriage, in fact Christ is married to the church.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 4:13pm On Jun 08, 2013
shdemidemi:
The Jews are not people who do the will of the father. The Jews(descendants of Abraham) are as guilty as the gentile.

This was the question: What Jews where you thinking of when you brought up Romans 1:16?
Ahhh, I understand. A Jews is one thing. A descendant of Abraham is another. The descendants of Abraham are the ones that God can raise from stones. These are as guilty as the gentiles. I agree.

But let me clear something up. Israel to me is ANYONE who does the will of the Father. I'm an African. If I do the will of the Father, to the Christ I am of Israel.

The ones you have in mind are perhaps the ones in Palestine/Israel ancient day Canaan fighting over a piece of land. That don't matter to me. They can keep that land if they want. We want to go back to Africa. And we are!
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 4:16pm On Jun 08, 2013
shdemidemi:
There is nothing wrong in getting married bro. God supports marriage, in fact Christ is married to the church.

I did not say there anything wrong with it.
I'm alluding to the fact that if according to some ones understanding we are born sinners. Why are Christians getting married and having children contributing to the sin problem by bringing more sinners into the world?

They should know better don't you think brother?

1 Like

Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by FromGuiriga(m): 4:27pm On Jun 08, 2013
Bidam: @_Guiriga from the righteousness perspective i tend to agree more with shdemidemi. Paul would not have boasted about his righteousness if he had confidence in his ability.#If someone else thinks they have reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for righteousness based on the law, faultless.#

Yes, give thanks. This is what I'm saying all along. Where did that get Paul? Killing the followers of Christ. That's right. He was persecuting them. A misunderstanding by Paul. Once he came to the understanding of Christ. Then, things changed.
He realized that God could raise descendants of Abraham from stones...Him being a Hebrew by flesh means nothing the the most High God the Father. The Father is after the the heart. Paul was after the flesh prior to coming to his "vision"

I think I'm being either misunderstood or not explaining myself properly.

Either way...give thanks!
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jun 08, 2013
From_Guiriga:

Yes, give thanks. This is what I'm saying all along. Where did that get Paul? Killing the followers of Christ. That's right. He was persecuting them. A misunderstanding by Paul. Once he came to the understanding of Christ. Then, things changed.
He realized that God could raise descendants of Abraham from stones...Him being a Hebrew by flesh means nothing the the most High God the Father. The Father is after the the heart. Paul was after the flesh prior to coming to his "vision"

I think I'm being either misunderstood or not explaining myself properly.

Either way...give thanks!
I understand your perspective properly now. thanks.
Re: Who Was The God Of The Old Testament? by Mranony: 6:01pm On Jun 08, 2013
From_Guiriga:

I answer again, the Jews in Romans 1:16

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Complete List Of All Apostle Joshua Selman Messages (2011 - 2020) / Eat Your Tithe!! The Bible Verse Most Pastors Won't Show You. / Most Rev. Mrs Margaret.e. Idahosa Becomes First Female Archbishop In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.