Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,781 members, 7,817,245 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:41 AM

Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips (7928 Views)

My Shocking Experiences In Public Buses----ladies Be Very Vigilant! / Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! / Share Your Experiences Those That Moved Back To Nigeria From Abroad (usa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by romeo(m): 12:32pm On May 03, 2008
big_bumper:

Yam and palm-oil heaven, but yam and beans shocked shocked shocked That's my mum's favourite food but it tastes like vomit to me. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Abeg which one you dey? Yam and beans helped a lot in my growth tongue
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by bigbumper(f): 12:33pm On May 03, 2008
lucabrasi:

@shanequa,arnorld
                                 please guys the whole quarell s gone on long enough,the thread is about naija trips,experiences and food abeg just take a chill pill and become friends or move this to the appropriate section if you don't mind thanks smiley

Where are they? looking around I don't see them, you dis lubricant sef grin, how you see them? abi dem don carry their battle go another level a.k.a airwaves.
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by pahtahkee: 12:37pm On May 03, 2008
big_bumper:

Is it Aya Mase stew that mama agips in Abeokuta cooks?  

How can I forget the time my mama and hin friend go Palm-grove to buy smoked fowl for me, na hin them come cross the road instead of using the overhead bridge and one olopa come stop them. The Olopa stopped them then told them to start frog-jumping, na hin ma mama tell the olopa say hin don dey craze small, small time sha with 1,000 naira in his pocket, the policeman released them.

Na you I for like make you do that frog-jumping with that your bumper. cool grin

Which one is Aya Mase stew again? Mama agips used to be at petrol filling station called agips before it was changed to Oando. In the days of fuel shortage, people will park their cars in the long queue and and go sit down with mama agips either eating rice with dodo or eating bread with ewa agoyin and ata dindin. :
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by bigbumper(f): 12:38pm On May 03, 2008
romeo:

Abeg which one you dey? Yam and beans helped a lot in my growth tongue

A ha, you are full of beans wink. And you still dey wonder why pure water dey make you bow tongue That growth of yours has been wrongly configured and constituted, I say. grin
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by bigbumper(f): 12:41pm On May 03, 2008
pahtahkee:

Na you I for like make you do that frog-jumping with that your bumper. cool grin

Which one is Aya Mase stew again? Mama agips used to be at petrol filling station called agips before it was changed to Oando. In the days of fuel shortage, people will park their cars in the long queue and and go sit down with mama agips either eating rice with dodo or eating bread with ewa agoyin and ata dindin. :

Ha you don miss, aya mase is a spicy ijebu stew made with green pepper, tastes wicked with rice and beans or rice and plantain. I usually get mine from Tastees restaurant, but you can also go to this buka in Dalston, forgotten what the name is.
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by romeo(m): 12:42pm On May 03, 2008
pahtahkee:

I can imagine the bounce cheesy cheesy

big_bumper:

A ha, you are full of beans wink. And you still dey wonder why pure water dey make you bow tongue That growth of yours has been wrongly configured and constituted, I say. grin

who told you that? you no know the kind fiber beans carry? dey there!! tongue tongue
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by pahtahkee: 12:48pm On May 03, 2008
@ Romeo,

The bounce is one in a million! cheesy Personal contact with it, will get you mad! grin

@ Pumper,
Abeg order the stew and Dhl am for me. tongue It is an Ijebu stew, and I have never heard of it and tasted it? shocked I do not think so. tongue
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by lucabrasi(m): 12:49pm On May 03, 2008
@big bumper
abeg carry your snails and everything through dublin and you ll have minimal checks lol i pay extra to go through dublin because i have to carry my own suya and kilishi enter though i dislike snails for some reason or bushmeat.

theres also akara oshu dyu know it on the way to oyo state big bumper?
also this serious buka at lokoja,the place is still going strong and i v known there since i was a tot
theres na straight in ibadan,and some awesome amala and gbegiri joints in ibadan,if u havnt had amala in ibadan abeg im sorri to burst anyone's bubble o u v not had the real deal lol
big_bumper:

Na pure water I go chop? Na pure water you dey chop? No wonder you dey sick. tongue
i drink anything drinkable o,actually u know pure water is now regulated now by nafdac so its safe to drink,nigerians think u r posing if u r drinking bottled water but some dont realise that ur immune system will go way down when u get to the western world,me i drink anything apart from well water
pahtahkee:

Oh boy, at a point in time, I had a record of knowing where the best buka joints were in any Nigerian city I was in. If I get to any vicinity, my first check is what available buka are there. cheesy

Right from my secondary school days, we used to go through the bush to eat correct hot yam and beans at Angola joint, with a cup of water by that old woman back in those days. We will then fly over the fence because we know prefects are lying in the bush waiting for us.

I no dey play with Buka at all. grin
i started late because i didnt have that chance in secondary school but i have made up for it with all my trips to naija,my own is even inter state as i can go anywhere for food, theres a place in opebi where u can have pounded yam and oha soup(dont ask me what that means but i was introduced to it and i liked it lol)
romeo:

OHH!! That reminds me of the Roasted yam and palm oil i ate last month at the Ikoyi passport office (along the road not inside)

My friend ordered for a plate and i was like WTF (are you going to eat that thing)!! I tasted one piece of yam and ended up buying up the whole roasted yam and even quarrelled with the woman for more palm oil grin grin grin
if u want correct fried yam,akara and fried fish theres a place at ikeja near etiebets place one dark plump woman, ill give u money back guarantee that u ll keep on going back,even british airways pilots,the chinese ppl,and other lodgers go there on pilgrimage lol
big_bumper:

Is it Aya Mase stew that mama agips in Abeokuta cooks?  

How can I forget the time my mama and hin friend go Palm-grove to buy smoked fowl for me, na hin them come cross the road instead of using the overhead bridge and one olopa come stop them. The Olopa stopped them then told them to start frog-jumping, na hin ma mama tell the olopa say hin don dey craze small, small time sha with 1,000 naira in his pocket, the policeman released them.
lmao, i bn caught by lastma too before,i was sooo scared that day because i v been warned about them,they took 5,000 plus from us ,
the best aya mase/ofada rice is in ijebu ode,i went with my step mum to a party there the very first day i got back to naija and i tried all these children hawking the rice in leafs, its heaven.
forget the ofada rice in lagos,go to ijebu ode and try the ones hawked on the streets,u wont believe it,the children with their trays and i was choping one and taking another,my step mum was soo embarassed till we got to lagos she was frowning for me but i cant forget that rice lol
theres a place in lagos too,onli tried it once though owned by an ibo couple, jolloff rice and sauce with diced meat then they have a way they fry the eggs making it slightly spicy on the rice, hmmmnnn
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by lucabrasi(m): 12:51pm On May 03, 2008
big_bumper:

Ha you don miss, aya mase is a spicy ijebu stew made with green pepper, tastes wicked with rice and beans or rice and plantain. I usually get mine from Tastees restaurant, but you can also go to this buka in Dalston, forgotten what the name is.
u need special password to get the original and authentic aya mase stew,in lagos ill recommend lagos country club in g.r.a if your not a member,get a member to sign u in and try their aya mase and ofada rice, i ll give u ur money back personally if u r not satisfied
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by aloib(f): 12:53pm On May 03, 2008
ibadan bukas are off the shiznit!!!
ahh lafun and ewedu cool
fufu and okra cool
with correct pumo and bokoto, kaiii
now i'm missing all dse stuffs, havent had them in 3 years,
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by romeo(m): 12:55pm On May 03, 2008
lucabrasi:
theres a place in opebi where u can have pounded yam and oha soup(don't ask me what that means but i was introduced to it and i liked it lol)

Abeg that oha soup na die cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by romeo(m): 12:56pm On May 03, 2008
Fufu and okra hmmmm!!!
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by Tonim(f): 12:58pm On May 03, 2008
lucabrasi:

u need special password to get the original and authentic aya mase stew,in lagos ill recommend lagos country club in g.r.a if your not a member,get a member to sign u in and try their aya mase and ofada rice, i ll give u your money back personally if you're not satisfied

lucabrasi, ol' boy, you have gone far with food and places.

When next are you going to Nigeria ?

because, your own knowledge of the joints is extra ordinary grin
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by pahtahkee: 1:03pm On May 03, 2008
You dont drink well water. . . . . Thats the only water I drink when I am in Ibadan. grin

I remember there is this amala joint beside the Government office in Ibadan.

Chai, that woman dey prepare correct ewedu! Hot amala felifeli with no koko resident inside it, correct ogufe meat.
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by aloib(f): 1:05pm On May 03, 2008
romeo:

Fufu and okra hmmmm!!!
yeso u cant go wrong with it cool cry
bush meat and palmwine cool cry
correct peppersoup and star cool cry
moimoi elepo made in leaves cool cry take that with correct eko
eko and efo riro cool cry kiss
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by bigbumper(f): 1:10pm On May 03, 2008
Another tory

A friend (a girl) that had never been home for a while travelled to Nigeria, decided to hook up with a friends from school, and left home with 2500 naira in her pocket.She be that kin person wey if you follow am go out, you have to pay for yourself (she is the split the bill type)

This friend, with six of her friend (family), met my JJC friend at the pre-arranged restaurant on the Island, and everyone settled down to serious business. The girls as usual ordered the most expensive things on the menu with takeaways, then when the bill of 12500 naira was presented, everyone started shuffling in their seats, and my JJC friend left the table to go to the loo, by the time she came back, everyone had disappeared.

After explaining the situation to the the owner, she was allowed to leave all her stuffs and go and call her mum in France to wire some money to her. She is also the type that travels to Nigeria with £100 and $60, hence the reason she was broke.

A few months after this incidence, we met two of these girls in the west-end of London, they apologised, kissed and made up. They all then decided to go to Subway to get sandwiches, my friend was first in the queue, ordered the most expensive foot-long sandwich meal on the menu with all the extras for myself and her, told the cashier that her friends were paying, then before you could say Jack robinson, made a dash for the door and disappeared, living the girls to foot the £16 bill. (a difficult feat for them considering the fact that having just only arrived in the country recently, they only left home that day with just enough money for transport and only had £2 each on them to buy the sub of the day sandwich.

Who says justice is not sweet? cool
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by bigbumper(f): 1:13pm On May 03, 2008
Tonim:

lucabrasi, ol' boy, you have gone far with food and places.When next are you going to Nigeria ?

because, your own knowledge of the joints is extra ordinary grin

subscribing
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by bigbumper(f): 1:15pm On May 03, 2008
pahtahkee:

@ Romeo,

The bounce is one in a million! cheesy Personal contact with it, will get you mad! grin

Ever since one of my close friend told me that the thing is full of shit, I don lose interest, infact I don dey lose am, it causes too much of a draw-back wink
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by aloib(f): 1:17pm On May 03, 2008
big_bumper:

Another tory

A friend (a girl) that had never been home for a while travelled to Nigeria, decided to hook up with a friends from school, and left home with 2500 naira in her pocket.She be that kin person wey if you follow am go out, you have to pay for yourself (she is the split the bill type)

This friend, with six of her friend (family), met my JJC friend at the pre-arranged restaurant on the Island, and everyone settled down to serious business. The girls as usual ordered the most expensive things on the menu with takeaways, then when the bill of 12500 naira was presented, everyone started shuffling in their seats, and my JJC friend left the table to go to the loo, by the time she came back, everyone had disappeared.

After explaining the situation to the the owner, she was allowed to leave all her stuffs and go and call her mum in France to wire some money to her. She is also the type that travels to Nigeria with £100 and $60, hence the reason she was broke.

A few months after this incidence, we met two of these girls in the west-end of London, they apologised, kissed and made up. They all then decided to go to Subway to get sandwiches, my friend was first in the queue, ordered the most expensive foot-long sandwich meal on the menu with all the extras for myself and her, told the cashier that her friends were paying, then before you could say Jack robinson, made a dash for the door and disappeared, living the girls to foot the £16 bill. (a difficult feat for them considering the fact that having just only arrived in the country recently, they only left home that day with just enough money for transport and only had £2 each on them to buy the sub of the day sandwich.

Who says justice is not sweet? cool

lmaooo, if i have money, i just put down wat i have and most time its normally more than wat i would pay if we split the bill or most times if its just 2 or 3 of us, i pay for it or whoever pays 1st( thats with my close friends sha), but if we r in a group, i just put down wat i have but make sure its more than wat i would pay if we split it, life is too short jare,
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by aloib(f): 1:19pm On May 03, 2008
his_grace:

story story - talk about your bad experience in Nigeria - talk about drinking water and having running belle - stupid - which time you comot from the Nigeria self - only last year? No be the same water wey them born u with and take raise you be that -? You come travel go abroad come no fit even chop for the same plate wey only one year ago - na there you dey chop? Who tell you say people no dey get food poison for abroad?

The thing wey dey baffle me be this one - wey - people go they go Africa/Nigeria - them go they shout say them no one go o because of mosquito - because mosquito go give them malaria - i say shut up there - if you travel go Europe and no prepare well - you no know say you go catch the flu as well? So if flu na disease and if malaria na disease - so which one be say u no one go Nigeria because you go catch disease of malaria? The flu wey u dey catch and people dey catch there daily nko?

Una mouth wey be like una anus -

mehn from their posts u'll know the ignorants, smh,
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by romeo(m): 1:21pm On May 03, 2008
aloib:

yeso u can't go wrong with it cool cry
bush meat and palmwine cool cry
correct peppersoup and star cool cry
moimoi elepo made in leaves cool cry take that with correct eko
eko and efo riro cool cry kiss

Bushmeat and palma wine good but that your peppersoup and Star na die

I am addicted to Nkwobi and Star as well
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by Tonim(f): 1:21pm On May 03, 2008
his_grace:

story story - talk about your bad experience in Nigeria - talk about drinking water and having running belle - stupid - which time you comot from the Nigeria self - only last year? No be the same water wey them born u with and take raise you be that -? You come travel go abroad come no fit even chop for the same plate wey only one year ago - na there you dey chop? Who tell you say people no dey get food poison for abroad?

The thing wey dey baffle me be this one - wey - people go they go Africa/Nigeria - them go they shout say them no one go o because of mosquito - because mosquito go give them malaria - i say shut up there - if you travel go Europe and no prepare well - you no know say you go catch the flu as well? So if flu na disease and if malaria na disease - so which one be say u no one go Nigeria because you go catch disease of malaria? The flu wey u dey catch and people dey catch there daily nko?

Una mouth wey be like una anus -

Who exactly are you talking to ?
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by bigbumper(f): 1:24pm On May 03, 2008
lucabrasi:

@big bumper
abeg carry your snails and everything through dublin and you ll have minimal checks lol i pay extra to go through dublin because i have to carry my own suya and kilishi enter though i dislike snails for some reason or bushmeat. . .

Are you sure? What do you mean by minimal checks? I know I am long overdue for a holiday but I am not ready for a stint at holloway maximum security yet. Is it the same "eyi je, eyi oje" checks dem dey do for Heathrow airport or do they not have restrictions in place as per bringing meat products into the country?
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by Tonim(f): 1:26pm On May 03, 2008
his_grace:

Which kain stupid question be this one - if the thing be like say na u I dey talk to - then good for u.

It's not a stupid question. I would think you were addressing someone specifically, not the entire members of the
thread. That was my question.
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by romeo(m): 1:27pm On May 03, 2008
person dey go prison for una side because of afro food? kpata kpata dem go seize am for here

@His_grace

even some Nigerian breweries STAR beer dey make me sick tongue
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by bigbumper(f): 1:29pm On May 03, 2008
Tonim:

Who exactly are you talking to ?

Why bother to find out? wink

It is obvious he is not referring to just one person, so leave him to keep on taking pot-shots at people who are already salivating and reminiscing in pounded yam, amala,ogbono, ewede, oha, . . . heaven.
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by bigbumper(f): 1:31pm On May 03, 2008
romeo:

person dey go prison for una side because of afro food? kpata kpata them go seize am for here

Bringing contraband goods into the country attracts a £1000 fine or a six-months stint inside jail according to DEFRA(or whatever they call themselves now), mad-cow disease no be joke o.
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by romeo(m): 1:38pm On May 03, 2008
No be dem get mad cow plenty? Cow wey mad for Naija dey enter belle straight cheesy cheesy

They are very strict ohh, but African shops do exist and they sell our things?
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by bigbumper(f): 1:42pm On May 03, 2008
aloib:

lmaooo, if i have money, i just put down what i have and most time its normally more than what i would pay if we split the bill or most times if its just 2 or 3 of us, i pay for it or whoever pays 1st( thats with my close friends sha), but if we r in a group, i just put down what i have but make sure its more than what i would pay if we split it, life is too short jare,

Imagine one of your close friends bringing six of her friends that you don't know from Adam shocked shocked shocked

If the person inviting her out was a guy, then it is a bit understandable (guys like to do effizy), but for a girl to do that to another girl is just low. That is why I was glad to be a willing partaker at the london incidence and was glad she got her comeuppance.

I am sure she has learned her lessons. Its time we start teaching our girls that there is nothing wrong with spending some of their own money once in a while to enable the man to be able to save towards the future (future meeting with one of the other six girl on his list morelike  cool).
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by lucabrasi(m): 1:46pm On May 03, 2008
@tonim
lol,na wa for u, the thing is that as soon as i get to nigeria the people i hang out with first are our drivers,workers because they r the ones who spend the least because of their economic situation so they know where the food is best but for less money,u will tend to go where the food is expensive but not as good,try it next time ur in naija call either ur driver or like panel beater,mechanic e.t.c they know the best bukas in town.
@aloib
i swear i dont know how to eat that bushmeat and everyone i meet loves it like anything,always seems like im missing a lot but each time i try it its bitter and tastes funny lol
romeo:

Bushmeat and palma wine good but that your peppersoup and Star na die

I am addicted to Nkwobi and Star as well
me too o but im looking for another nkwobi joint now tho,star?have you tried that extra smooth stout, i tried it once and i v been hooked its also medicinal grin so u know oha soup and poundo , its too much o ,dont like palmwine again for sum reason though used to like sampling the diff ones
big_bumper:

Are you sure? What do you mean by minimal checks? I know I am long overdue for a holiday but I am not ready for a stint at holloway maximum security yet. Is it the same "eyi je, eyi oje" checks them dey do for Heathrow airport or do they not have restrictions in place as per bringing meat products into the country?  

no now u know dublin to uk is like local flight,so they dont have the standard checks like they have in heathrow or gatwick,the way i see it im not carrying drugs and my foods are clean so my conscience is clean because i cant wait till year2020 when the whiteman will appreciate correct suya, holloway lol when last did u go to ife,remember dodo ikire,akara oshu have you tried these deep fried little fish and fried ede they sell on the expressway when going to osun state and the soft ola oluwa bread?

@phatakee
when last were u at ibadan and is there any new joint because ill be going to oshogbo on my next trip to naija and me i like all these stop over journeys, pls help my condition o
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by lucabrasi(m): 1:52pm On May 03, 2008
big_bumper:

Imagine one of your close friends bringing six of her friends that you don't know from Adam shocked shocked shocked

If the person inviting her out was a guy, then it is a bit understandable (guys like to do effizy), but for a girl to do that to another girl is just low. That is why I was glad to be a willing partaker at the london incidence and was glad she got her comeuppance.

I am sure she has learned her lessons. Its time we start teaching our girls that there is nothing wrong with spending some of their own money once in a while to enable the man to be able to save towards the future (future meeting with one of the other six girl on his list morelike cool).
you gurls are lucky because u know girls will generally pose now,but with guys its worse,you ll see like 10/12 people following you,one time we wanted to eat ofada rice i swear i ended up paying 4thousand plus imagine for ofada rice o,im sure a lot of guys have had that experience and they ll keep on coming to mark register in ur house without any sensible thing to contribute
romeo:

No be them get mad cow plenty? Cow wey mad for Naija dey enter belle straight cheesy cheesy

They are very strict ohh, but African shops do exist and they sell our things?
mad cow no dey kill africans lol,i bring the kilishi and suya properly done and i can assure u that ill be the onli one to eat it sef so theres no danger of giving anyone mad cow desease.

@post
anyone ever tried the watery beans and soft agege bread in isale eko?theres a formula to it, when u get the beans with fried stew,add sum ground nut oil to it or better still olive oil,mix it together and pls dont commit the sin of using any other bread but fresh,warm but not hot agege bread
Re: Your Experiences With Eating And Your Funny Stories Of Your Trips by pahtahkee: 1:56pm On May 03, 2008
@ lucabrasi,

There is one just directly opposite old leventis across the street just before getting to elewure junction. I have forgotten the name of the joint now. But that woman as well sells good ogufe meat with correct amala dudu. If you are as well into drinking, you can take it bottle of star or whichever you are into. And if you happen to be there in the evenings, you can play opon ayo with the men there. grin

If you are there, ask for a particular guy: His nickname is: Be Happy. Tell him Pataki from Togo referred you to him. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Please Help Me Out I Need Direction. / How Good And Motorable Are Roads In Your Locality? / How Do I Get To Ogudu GRA From Egbeda

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.