Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,974 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! (117752 Views)

Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / Nigerian Students In Canada: How Do You Survive? / Nigerian Students In The Uk How Do You Survive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Okuda(m): 8:57am On Jan 02, 2012
I have almost gone through travel section and I have not seen a thread for nigerians living/ studying in switzerland. I decided to create this thread, please share your experiences, the scul u applied to, how you got your visa, the questions asked by vo and so on and forth, and also nigerians living in switzerland. I would like to meet fellow nigerians like myself here. share your experiences please,

3 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 9janinja1(f): 9:28am On Jan 02, 2012
i would like to intern there but i dont speak the language , how is it like for you and how do you cope with the language
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 9:35am On Jan 02, 2012
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 9janinja1(f): 9:47am On Jan 02, 2012
redcliff:

Nice thread, would also love to be in that country, they have one of the best economies in europe, the mainly speak dutch/german

yea i was talkin to this kid and apparently its not just german its swiss-german , and swiss french and other discouraging languages
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 9:51am On Jan 02, 2012
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 9janinja1(f): 9:54am On Jan 02, 2012
redcliff:

What's d difference? Someone who speaks german should be able to understand it,

its like a dialect , i dont even understand simple german , i honestly dont know. i just want to visit there so bad.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 10:02am On Jan 02, 2012
Have u been theRe before, or u just met one swiss kid heRe?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 10:06am On Jan 02, 2012
Share ur experience, it would be really nice
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 9janinja1(f): 10:25am On Jan 02, 2012
never been there, the kid was visitin and we had the same circle of friends. thats why i'm asking the dude who posted , i would like to know how he copes with the language.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Okuda(m): 11:03am On Jan 02, 2012
Redcliff and naija ninja, I really like ur enthusiasm abt coming over to swiss, well I studied their language back home before coming but I studied normal german/dutch. If u know how to speak german/dutch it wudnt be hard for u to relate with indigenes here cos most of them know it too, and theRe are so many language institutes here that take people on the german/dutch/french/romanic, Under 3months u can blend in.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 9janinja1(f): 11:24am On Jan 02, 2012
Okuda:

Redcliff and naija ninja, I really like your enthusiasm abt coming over to swiss, well I studied their language back home before coming but I studied normal german/dutch. If u know how to speak german/dutch it wudnt be hard for u to relate with indigenes here cos most of them know it too, and theRe are so many language institutes here that take people on the german/dutch/french/romanic, Under 3months u can blend in.

i just want to spend summer break , its like 3months , so no where they speak pure english.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by IsabellaC: 12:23pm On Jan 02, 2012
Am living in Germany and Swiss-German is different. Its coming with a heavy accent and different words, even difficult for Germans to understand.

Isa

3 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Oba234: 4:49am On Jan 06, 2012
Stayed there for a week once and all I remember was that it was expensive. Food is expensive especially meat. If you don't have money stay away.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Okuda(m): 9:19am On Jan 06, 2012
Isabella what part of germany are u staying, your name sounds gErman so am guessing u r not nigerian,

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by redcliff: 9:59am On Jan 06, 2012
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by kennybuda: 12:11pm On Jan 11, 2012
If you dont have rich parents stay out of swiss, thats the most expensive country i have ever been, infact its fustrating in swiss even as a tourist. A bottle of water cost 4 euros.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by llbhuds: 7:21am On Jan 12, 2012
kennybuda:

If you dont have rich parents stay out of swiss, thats the most expensive country i have ever been, infact its fustrating in swiss even as a tourist. A bottle of water cost 4 euros.

abi ooo bro, i had to transit there and i decided to enter the city and i almost cried cos its so so so f**king xpensive.
i wonder how peeps der survive with such an exorbitant prices. even the toblerone chocolate which is produced in Swiss cost 25euros and which i can buy at the rate of 18euros in another country.
shioooo

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Plum70: 12:14pm On Jan 12, 2012
redcliff:

Nice thread, would also love to be in that country, they have one of the best economies in europe, the mainly speak dutch/german
The Swiss do not speak a word of Dutch! They mainly speak German (and many Swiss German dialects) in central, North and east CH , French in West CH, Italian in South CH and Romansh in the Grisons (far east CH).

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Plum70: 12:26pm On Jan 12, 2012
llbhuds:

abi ooo bro, i had to transit there and i decided to enter the city and i almost cried cos its so so so f**king xpensive.
i wonder how peeps der survive with such an exorbitant prices. even the toblerone chocolate which is produced in Swiss cost 25euros and which i can buy at the rate of 18euros in another country.
shioooo
You have to understand that those who live AND work in Switzerland earn wages commensurate to the relatively 'high' standard of living. My husband is Swiss, we CH visit at least once a year and yes, prices of commodities like food, clothes&shoes, transport fares are expensive comparative to its neighbours - France, Germany, Italy, austria - but it balances out when you compare with wages, high quality standards and the country's preference to maintain a stable and relatively 'exclusive' population.

For instance, whenever we visit we like to take the train to explore different parts of the country. Last December we left from a village near Geneva and crossed all the way through Lausanne, Bern, Interlaken to Grindelwald and back. There were numerous interchanges and trips up and down the mountains but everything ran like clockwork (despite heavy snowfall). In London (where we live at the moment) you cannot set your watch to the national rail services. Some rain and there are delays; some snow and there are cancellations; even some heavy winds and trains are suspended!

The Swiss invest in infrastructure and are very committed to maintaining a very high standard of performance and excellence that is reflected in their prices, luxury products, public services and general culture.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by kennybuda: 5:21pm On Jan 12, 2012
@Plum70
Swiss is over expensive period, there is a saying in switzerland that the country is made for its citizens therefore immigrants are not wellcome atall.

7 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by llbhuds: 5:58pm On Jan 12, 2012
Plum70:

You have to understand that those who live AND work in Switzerland earn wages commensurate to the relatively 'high' standard of living. My husband is Swiss, we CH visit at least once a year and yes, prices of commodities like food, clothes&shoes, transport fares are expensive comparative to its neighbours - France, Germany, Italy, austria - but it balances out when you compare with wages, high quality standards and the country's preference to maintain a stable and relatively 'exclusive' population.

For instance, whenever we visit we like to take the train to explore different parts of the country. Last December we left from a village near Geneva and crossed all the way through Lausanne, Bern, Interlaken to Grindelwald and back. There were numerous interchanges and trips up and down the mountains but everything ran like clockwork (despite heavy snowfall). In London (where we live at the moment) you cannot set your watch to the national rail services. Some rain and there are delays; some snow and there are cancellations; even some heavy winds and trains are suspended!

The Swiss invest in infrastructure and are very committed to maintaining a very high standard of performance and excellence that is reflected in their prices, luxury products, public services and general culture.

well said but for the fact that the wage is high is not a justification to make things dat expensive. Scandinavian countries pays very high as well and things are not as expensive as dis. A friend of mine who lives in sweden gets 10pounds on hourly basis and according to research, sweden is payin even less compared to denmark nd norway and you dont have to be an executive to live there (though tax is high).

3 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by kennybuda: 6:17pm On Jan 12, 2012
@llbhuds
You said it all bro, we agree swiss pay high wages but you will realize no savings in all your life in swisszerland imagine i have a congoles friend he is a post man he earns 5,800 franc per month house bills and house rent 3,500 franc, 2000 franc remaing is not even enuff in 2 weeks he has nothing ?

3 Likes

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Plum70: 11:22pm On Jan 12, 2012
CH is expensive yes, so go somewhere else if you want to get 'more' for your money. We're going to Helsinki and Oulu this summer and i'm curious to see how the spending power of the Euro compares to the Swiss Franc. In France, Belgium and the Netherlands it seemed that the Euro went that much further but that may just be my perception.
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 7070: 3:48pm On Sep 24, 2012
i currently study in wadenswill,switzerland,will need to ask the OP a few questions if he wont mind

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by surveyProf(m): 9:55pm On Sep 24, 2012
7070: i currently study in wadenswill,switzerland,will need to ask the OP a few questions if he wont mind
yeah go ahead, he is perhaps listening!
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 25, 2012
7070: i currently study in wadenswill,switzerland,will need to ask the OP a few questions if he wont mind
how is life there, the weather, economy, racial abuse and the serene environment?
Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by 7070: 1:14pm On Oct 13, 2012
The weather is regular since it's autumn,we've been getting rain but not the naija type of heavy rain.
Switzerland is expensive but live with a budget and get good work before you come out here.
I live on the edge of lake Zurich and its quite serene,villagers here are accommodating
Help yourself and learn German although Swiss German is spoken you''ll have an advantage.
Lastly,I haven't experienced any racial abuse..lol
I'm often times the only dark skinned person in most places I go but makes me feel good instead and more people recognize me ..hahaha!
Cheers house

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by obicentlis: 3:17pm On Oct 13, 2012
7070: The weather is regular since it's autumn,we've been getting rain but not the naija type of heavy rain.
Switzerland is expensive but live with a budget and get good work before you come out here.
I live on the edge of lake Zurich and its quite serene,villagers here are accommodating
Help yourself and learn German although Swiss German is spoken you''ll have an advantage.
I'm often times the only dark skinned person in most places I go but makes me feel good instead and more people recognize me ..hahaha!
Cheers house
You studying or hustling there bro. Please if its the former, can you relate yourself with the OP initial questions.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 9:44pm On Oct 30, 2012
obicentlis:
You studying or hustling there bro. Please if its the former, can you relate yourself with the OP initial questions.
Thanks.

Like 7070 rightly pointed out, Switzerland is a really nice place to be...

with regards to the OP's question, I'm sure many would be surprised to know that Swiss has the best University in continental Europe (i.e. excluding UK) with its Federal Institute of Technology ranked the 12th best University in the world and five others of her Universities ranked in the top 200. The official languages are German, French, Italian and Romantsch (but gradually fading). English is the 'accepted' fifth official language as there is a great chance that every 4 out 5 people you meet understand English.

1 Like

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 31, 2012
Hey guys!
Happy to see that there are some Nigerians happy to be in Switzerland! If you have any questions, don't hesistate to ask me, I'm Swiss en lived there almost my entire life :-)

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by Santino1(m): 6:23pm On Oct 31, 2012
7070: The weather is regular since it's autumn,we've been getting rain but not the naija type of heavy rain.
Cheers house

I assumed you are studying in ZHAW (you said you study in Waedenswil). If yes, then it is safe to also assume you have stayed a considerable length of time in Swiss as German is the language of instruction in the school. By the way, I have the Zurichsee as my front view too.. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Students In Switzerland/ Nigerians Living In Switzerland, your Experiences Here! by judeosakue: 4:07pm On Nov 04, 2012
Hi, pipo
Please I need to know if domicilary acct statement is accepted by the austrian embassy in nigeria for student visa? Will also want to meet nigerians studing in austria
Thanks pipo

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Port Harcourt Lockdown: What I Saw Around The City Yesterday- PICTURES / The Crystal Service immigration Scam / The Following Countries Are Visa-free For Nigerian Passport Holders

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.