Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,790 members, 7,817,282 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:26 AM

Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. (7149 Views)

"I Will Accept Any Government Appointment From Buhari" – Jega / May God Forbid That Any Government Will Repeat What Gej's Did – Oby Ezekwesil / I'm A Friend To Any Government In Power-Asari Dokubo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 1:02pm On Jun 04, 2013
coogar:

that's exactly the problem!
if you can't choose a leader then how would the others see any leadership quality in any igbo politician? i call you afam because that's the name you call yourself. if the igbos can't see a leader amongst themselves then they are shooting themselves in the foot!
The Igbo model is the best model but in the Nigerian reality, it's not. We have to device a means to come together not necessarily by choosing a leader because no one will show him any atom of respect. We're egalitarian and republican in nature.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Sealeddeal(m): 1:03pm On Jun 04, 2013
Obiagelli:
Exactly, we need to stop coming out weak (waiting for people to reciprocate support) , we are one of the largest ethnic groups in Nigeria,

We need to reach out to others from a point of strength and not weakness.

STOP FIGHTING OTHER ETHNIC GROUPS
i dont know what you mean.Igbos has never come out with weakness. When did vote/support count in Nigeria politics? When Ojukwu contested in 2003,i doubt if OBJ got up to 50k votes in east that year but still,Obj won landslide even in anambra and Ngige,who was suppose to lose won against the true winner Peter Obi and u'll see people who will use that to judge Igbos.the same thing happened in Abia and Imo. The fact is,votes didnt count from 1999 till 2011. Igbos doesnt pander with any government in power.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Clerverly: 1:04pm On Jun 04, 2013
Obiagelli:
Exactly, we need to stop coming out weak (waiting for people to reciprocate support) , we are one of the largest ethnic groups in Nigeria,

We need to reach out to others from a point of strength and not weakness.

STOP FIGHTING OTHER ETHNIC GROUPS

This has been my point. What are our negotiating tools other than "Jonathan may hand over power to us" as if it was a cake grin. What are bringing to the table to shake him up?

6 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by coogar: 1:11pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
The Igbo model is the best model but in the Nigerian reality, it's not. We have to device a means to come together not necessarily by choosing a leader because no one will show him any atom of respect. We're egalitarian and republican in nature.

the igbo model that hasn't produced a leader in 52 years and counting...... you can't be serious!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
I want us to try where we're most likely to get a break. The situation became precarious with the death of Yaradua. Had Yaradua been alive and completed his tenure, the presidency would have moved down south and the Igbos would have been in contention for the seat. Unfortunately, he died and his deputy who is from the south took over. Now, it's more precarious because it's most unlikely for the presidency to move from one southerner to another. But i guess some Igbo leaders are just looking at how things will pan out before they decide on their next political move hence the need to support JOnathan hoping that he would hand over to a S-easterner.
GEJ cannot hand over to the southeast in 2019. That is politically impossible and may even lead to civil war. Anyone expecting that to happen is naive. Power will return to the north after 2019. And come back to the south and mostly like Igbos afterwards.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by omonnakoda: 1:12pm On Jun 04, 2013
People tend to confuse unruliness and lack of discipline with being egalitarian.

how can people who practice Osu claim to be egalitarian.What hypocrisy!!
Let us start by abolishing the despicable and dehumanizing culture that thrives in these places

4 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by achi4u(m): 1:13pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
This is when you may get the shocker of your life. That's why i keep telling Igbos not to support any candidate wholeheartedly like they're doing for Jonathan. His people will rather vote a Togolese than an Igbo man. We have to start being our own people. Let's stop these Old Eastern Nigerian bullsh1t that is bereft of truth. It's only Igbos that live with this delusion that the people of the old eastern region will support them when it's there turn. Only time will tell.

@Cleverly
You opened a thread to seek for opinion and you shouldn't start insulting people if they hold an opposite opinion from yours. let's keep things civil or i'll have to take an action. Thanks.
Yea the "old easter region" is nolonger feasible hence we should mind ourselves for now; we should again try to erase that mentality that without this region or other region's support will cannot move forward.

The hatred is 3much..I tell you.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
We will need a change of leaders to make that possible. The present crop of leaders we have save for a few are political opportunist who are looking for a way to better their pocket than for the welfare of Igbo people.

I'll like to know how we're fighting other ethnic groups.
Nairaland is enough evidence, we need to channel our aggression to our favor our plight.

The civil war and biafra should remain what it is HISTORY.

We feel aggrieved, understandably so but we have to move on.

1 Like

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Olaolufred(m): 1:16pm On Jun 04, 2013
coogar:

the igbos suffer from a political identity crisis....
people still blaming the war are clueless - if the igbos choose one leader and support him massively, he would win.

however, this is mere fantasy. the love of money, cheap tribalism and lack of unity are a hindrance. i don't think there can ever be an igbo president - a woman would lead nigeria before someone from the eastern nigeria.

The igbos does not actually know how to articulate themselves and lobby the other ethnic nationalities to support them.
They will fight other ethnic nationalities for what happened in Mary slessor days. thereby chasing away their greatest ally.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 1:18pm On Jun 04, 2013
Clerverly: Who is hiding my posts here! He called me a shameless lair and replied him, and you hid my posts?
Ok. I'll remove the shameless and liar now.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by omonnakoda: 1:18pm On Jun 04, 2013
Olaolufred:

The igbos does not actually know how to articulate themselves and lobby the other ethnic nationalities to support them.
They will fight other ethnic nationalities for what happened in Mary slessor days. thereby chasing away their greatest ally.
There is no need to teach them,Ibo believe that they will continue to interact with Nigerians with the same arrogance and aggression and one day Nigerians will wake up and see things the Ibo way. So leave them they are smarter than all of us what do we know

2 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 04, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
Double speak. And why do you think anyone will be shocked?

I'v already taken note of the MISCHIEF playing out on this thread. The APC e-warriors are out to blackmail Igbos for supporting GEJ. Its all about 2015 not out of genuine concern for the Igbo man. Take the roll call of the comments so far- these are IDs notorious for either supporting APC or Buhari. Anyway, whatever their intention maybe, it is DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

Besides the issue of ethnic sentiments, I'm fully on ground and I know the govt of GEJ has favoured the southeast more than any previous govt in the history of Nigeria or as long as I know. The Igbo man has NEVER asked to be favoured. Rather we've always demanded for our fair share of govt attention. That is what GEJ has done in the past 2-3yrs in the following areas:

-Federal roads in the southeast are receiving attention like their counterparts in other parts of the country
- New federal secretariats
- New federal university
- New University Teaching hospital
- Fuel is sold the same price in the east as in Lagos and Abuja. This has never happened before
- International Airports and new cargo terminals
- Fair share of federal appointments
- Fast train lines from west to east is being developed
- The process of building the Second Niger Bridge has commenced
- Inland ports are being built
- And so on and so forth
What do you mean gej has favoured the south east more than any other president, who built those roads gej is currently rehabilitating and which new one has he built

4 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Bobandgreat: 1:19pm On Jun 04, 2013
We have to understand that Igbos are more experienced in what making the wrong decisions or being an oppositio can result to in this country. Therefore, we are more cautious now in our approach to controversy. Other ethnic groups don't have good leaders as well but u find them supporting these men as long as they are from their tribe. Its only the Igbos that are devoid of bigotry and keep giving up their rights for the unity of this country. Mention the leaders of other ethnic group and I will tell u they are even more selfish and corrupt than the so called money loving Igbos. Whereas, other ethnic groups will continue to present their own whether qualified or not out of inherent tribalism, the Igbos continue to search for that one true leader that will get their overwhelming support. Just because a person is igbo but incompetent will not make the igbos support him. The Igbo man would rather support a competent Buhari to an incompetent Rochas.
For now, the igbos don't have that one true leader and jonathan isnt as corrupt or bigoted as the rest of them, hence he gets our vote. To me, that is political maturity devoid of bigotry, nepotism and envy. It might seem not to be working now, but when it will work, it will be like magic sactioned by God himself.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by achi4u(m): 1:20pm On Jun 04, 2013
omonnakoda: how can people who practice Osu claim to be egalitarian.What hypocrisy!!
Let us start by abolishing the despicable and dehumanizing culture that thrives in these places
OGA here is not a culture section.

oya transport urself to that region!

1 Like

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by omonnakoda: 1:21pm On Jun 04, 2013
achi4u: OGA here is not a culture section.

oya transport urself to that region!
Nna you come,how maket?
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Abagworo(m): 1:21pm On Jun 04, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
GEJ cannot hand over to the southeast in 2019. That is politically impossible and may even lead to civil war. Anyone expecting that to happen is naive. Power will return to the north after 2019. And come back to the south and mostly like Igbos afterwards.

Coming from an insider, I hope things are getting clearer now on PDP's methodology. Are you saying that after all these dichotomy created to further alienate Igbos from the North, our own GEJ will hand over to the "parasites" and "Boko Haram"? Is it not clear now that the reason an artificial feud is being created is for 2015 and after that the gods(North) will be appeased by handing over powere on a plata of gold.

This is the major reason why we(Igbos) should endeavor to enthrone competent leaders and not join the band wagon of incumbency, tribalism or regionalism.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jun 04, 2013
Bobandgreat: We have to understand that Igbos are more experienced in what making the wrong decisions or being an oppositio can result to in this country. Therefore, we are more cautious now in our approach to controversy. Other ethnic groups don't have good leaders as well but u find them supporting these men as long as they are from their tribe. Its only the Igbos that are devoid of bigotry and keep giving up their rights for the unity of this country. Mention the leaders of other ethnic group and I will tell u they are even more selfish and corrupt than the so called money loving Igbos. Whereas, other ethnic groups will continue to present their own whether qualified or not out of inherent tribalism, the Igbos continue to search for that one true leader that will get their overwhelming support. Just because a person is igbo but incompetent will not make the igbos support him. The Igbo man would rather support a competent Buhari to an incompetent Rochas.
For now, the igbos don't have that one true leader and jonathan isnt as corrupt or bigoted as the rest of them, hence he gets our vote. To me, that is political maturity devoid of bigotry, nepotism and envy. It might seem not to be working now, but when it will work, it will be like magic sactioned by God himself.
And how has that paid off
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by alaoeri: 1:24pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
In Igboland, we don't choose leaders. Our style and definition of leadership is different. That what some of you have failed to understand.
Not until u ppl start regional politics, u won't be reckon with at the top, chose a leader let the whole eastern states vote for him massively that 'll send signal to other regions that u really mean business but the politics of follow follow won't help u ppl to achieve your aim. Though Tinubu may have cockroach in his cupboard but sincerely what he's doing is really affecting SW positively lets SE also have a leader like him & see if things won't change.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by duality(m): 1:27pm On Jun 04, 2013
you guys should understand that no region (not even the boastful north ) can get a shot at the presidency alone.

its not just possible.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Jun 04, 2013
Abagworo:

Coming from an insider, I hope things are getting clearer now on PDP's methodology. Are you saying that after all these dichotomy created to further alienate Igbos from the North, our own GEJ will hand over to the "parasites" and "Boko Haram"? Is it not clear now that the reason an artificial feud is being created is for 2015 and after that the gods(North) will be appeased by handing over powere on a plata of gold.

This is the major reason why we(Igbos) should endeavor to enthrone competent leaders and not join the band wagon of incumbency, tribalism or regionalism.
That is the plan, the sooner we realised it the better, the north would definitely rule in 2019-2026 under pdp.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by coogar: 1:28pm On Jun 04, 2013
Olaolufred:

there's no unity in igbo.....
i am sure the igbos have the most presidential candidates in the last election - the attempt to get a consensus presidential candidate failed woefully.

the igbo political platform is extremely factional - too many evil factions working against the collective interest of the ndigbos in general. a man like chris uba should be publicly executed by igbo youths....he's poison to the ndigbos!
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 1:29pm On Jun 04, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

I think people like you are also part of the problem. See the way you're holding brief for the North like you're from there despite the fact that this same North has been ruling this country since Nigeria gained independence. Plus Yaradua was also the president a few years ago. We have to learn to support our own at all times and stop being overly Nationalistic at our own detriment. No Igbo man has ruled since Aguiyi ironsi and you tell me that Igbos getting it will lead to a civil war yet the fact that we've not gotten it for decades did not lead to a civil war. That civil may as well be for the best.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by achi4u(m): 1:30pm On Jun 04, 2013
Obiagelli:
Nairaland is enough evidence, we need to channel our aggression to our favor our plight.

The civil war and biafra should remain what it is HISTORY.

We feel aggrieved, understandably so but we have to move on.
Oby,we CAN'T forget biafra and the civil war,it is our dream and our history.

*But which part of alaigbo were you from?
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 1:31pm On Jun 04, 2013
duality: you guys should understand that no region (not even the boastful north ) can get a shot at the presidency alone.

its not just possible.
If we don't have a leader, how can others support you. We clamour for igbo president but we can't even present somebody
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 04, 2013
Abagworo:

My friend, the north is a part of Nigeria and would at some point rule over Nigeria again. What many people are saying now is that NOT SO SOON, maybe later

1 Like

Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 1:33pm On Jun 04, 2013
coogar:

the igbo model that hasn't produced a leader in 52 years and counting...... you can't be serious!
If Nigeria was a country where performance and democracy are one of it's tenets, i would have agreed with you. unfortunately, Nigeria is an animal farm.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by omonnakoda: 1:34pm On Jun 04, 2013
Yes if Nigeria was run on MERIT Ibos would run things God created Ibos especially gifted and superior beings.Ibos do not need other Nigerians to vote them in as President they would just vote themselves in on MERIT!!
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jun 04, 2013
achi4u: Oby,we CAN'T forget biafra and the civil war,it is our dream and our history.

*But which part of alaigbo were you from?
Proudly Imo
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Clerverly: 1:38pm On Jun 04, 2013
Gbawe, You just dey come look and waka, you no wan enter the thread grin grin
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by coogar: 1:38pm On Jun 04, 2013
Afam4eva:
If Nigeria was a country where performance and democracy are one of it's tenets, i would have agreed with you. unfortunately, Nigeria is an animal farm.

performance? name one igbo politician worthy to be a president in the true standard of democracy?
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by Afam4eva(m): 1:40pm On Jun 04, 2013
coogar:

performance? name one igbo politician worthy to be a president in the true standard of democracy?
Soludo, Okonjo Iwelaa,. Oby Ezekwesili, Dora Akunyili, Sullivan Chime etc. I'm sure you were expecting me to name Theo Orji, Arthur Nzeribe etc. Since 1999, Igbos have been one of the major factors shaping the economy. Most giant little strides we made in some parastatals were done by Igbos.
Re: Why Do We ( The Igbos) Always Pander To Any Government In Power. by duality(m): 1:40pm On Jun 04, 2013
Clerverly:

This has been my point. What are our negotiating tools other than "Jonathan may hand over power to us" as if it was a cake grin. What are bringing to the table to shake him up?

what negotiating tool did other region come with other than being in a vantage position to clinch the presidency. forget these nonsense. In nigeria. if you are not in a vantage position you CANNOT win the presidency. look at the PDP primaries of 2011. if you don't follow the tide in politics, you make your job more difficult. the reason you are thinking this way is because of the emergence of APC. But if you are honest in analyzing elections in Nigeria, you'll know its going to be difficult for the opposition to win the presidency. same with Lagos state.

besides the opposition do not win elections, the ruling party loses it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Biafra No Longer Feasible — Okechukwu / Picture Of President Back From UK / NPA, Customs, Others’ Budgets Missing From Tinubu's 2024 Budget - BudgIT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.