Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:45 AM

Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch (13176 Views)

Lagos Lawmakers Fault Tolling Of Lekki-ikoyi Link-bridge / Residents Warn Against Uncontrollable Chaos Over Lekki Tolling - SaharaReporters / "Secret Letter" From Obasanjo To Jonathan Stirs Anger (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by rodeo0070(m): 6:37am On Jun 05, 2013
he construction and subsequent tolling of the Lekki-Ikoyi Link Bridge in Lagos has ignited a division between the supposed rich and poor residents of the state.

Those residing in sub-urban settlements in the state such as Ajegunle, Iyana Ipaja and Mushin warned the state government against the construction of such a bridge that would be subjected to tolling in their areas.

On nairaland.com, a commenter with the name Nosegbe says, “This bridge was obviously built for the high-class neighbourhoods of Lekki Phase I and environs. People who can afford to pay the toll. I would have had issues if the bridge was built and tolled at Ayobo, Iyana-Ipaja, Agege, Ajegunle or Ikorodu.

“It’s a win-win as far as I see. The Lekki folks get the satisfaction of bypassing Ozumba traffic leaving it less congested for others and the government makes more money which can be used for other purposes.”

They argue further that since it is the delight of residents of the affected areas to enjoy the luxury of a cable-stayed bridge, government should go ahead and build more of such bridges that will be tolled in highbrow areas to free up funds for less developed areas.

A reader on punchng.com, Wale Balogun, says the majority of people rejoicing about the toll being levied on people using the newly constructed 1.53km-long bridge were the ‘haves’ and not the “haves not.”

He explains that the reason why those residing in the suburbs will always resist such initiative is because what they need in their communities are basic amenities such as good schools for their children, affordable housing and not luxury of a “cable bridge.”

He says, “That cable bridge is not on the priority of the people in these areas (suburbs) for now, what they need in the immediate are: good and affordable housing; good and portable water; good schools for their children; motor-able roads not the luxury of a bridge and so on.

“So, let the users of that bridge pay a little from their ‘haves’ so that government will be able to provide for the ‘haves-not’ in Ajegunle, Ayobo, Ipaja, Mushin and others.

“If those in Lekki-Ajah can enjoy the luxury of a ‘cable bridge’ as you may wish to call it to the detriment of others in the state, then it will not be too much to ask them to pay as little as N250 to ply a 1.53km road to ease their travel time.”

But those residing in the rich neighbourhoods of Lekki, Ikoyi and its environs say the tolling of the bridge is a good development as many of them appeared to be polishing their ego with the payment of the toll.

“I strongly commend the state government for this giant stride. Not minding the critics, the toll gate system will at least help to separate the men from the boys,” a commenter on nairaland.com notes.

Another commenter on nairaland.com with the name Batman, described the toll as token adding that he has got no reason to complain about paying for it.

He says, “Its better to pay a token toll – bottled Coke and Gala money- to use a bridge that’s convenient than not pay a toll and get stuck.

“At least the people paying are not complaining because they are not broke and if you can’t afford it, there’s a cheaper and a free route.

“If you are not careful, they’ll charge you to look at the bridge. Looks good, don’t it? Some people seem bitter about the bridge, are they truly that concerned?”

Another comment on the forum reads,”This Bridge really pains some people ooo. They’re complaining more than the people that are to pay the toll. And I’m sure they aren’t going to use it. Why? Is it their money?

Meanwhile,some Nigerians say the new policy of building roads and introducing tolling on them amounts to double taxation.

According to them, if more of such bridges and roads are to be constructed in the state, the government should relax its current rate of tax so as not to serve as a burden on the citizenry.

A respondent argues on nairaland.com, “What makes other people living in Lekki different? Why will they be paying tolls when government have deducted tax in every forms ranging from corporate tax, Land Use Charge, Certificate of Occupancy, Tenement Rate to Value Added Tax.

“What other purposes do they have for collecting tolls when taxes are always been paid everyday. Government should not hide under the guise that some high profile people can afford to pay tolls to begin to scam Nigerians.’

http://www.punchng.com/i-punch/tolling-of-lekki-ikoyi-bridge-stirs-cyber-war/

2 Likes

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by RichDad1(m): 8:53am On Jun 05, 2013
Go nairaland Go!!!!
In another development, for the first time in my Nairaland history, I've finally achieved what many dreamed of. I.e First of all , go down low...... Thanks to all my fans and family. Most especially my Beautiful daughter Jasmine and my lovely wife. Don't worry Daddy is coming back home with the TROPHY. cool cool cool.

35 Likes

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by yuzedo: 10:35am On Jun 05, 2013
Dis very pour riportin!!! angry so dey dint rimmemba to mention dat d brige is near d grate man shun of Chiff Sweetus, d amunekeuto 1 of Banana Island and mentor to aliko d reach bilonnare??! Das why I dint ever read Ponch newpaper!!! Veryyy disproffesional! angry angry angry

13 Likes

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by yuzedo: 10:40am On Jun 05, 2013
Mukina, I can see u loooookin at my coment wit eagle witch eye. Am sorry, plis send me yo acaant numba & les be freind. Am tired of ban and hiden post dammit!!! angry cry

35 Likes

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by fyneIjay(f): 10:44am On Jun 05, 2013
yuzedo: Mukina, I can see u loooookin at my coment wit eagle witch eye. Am sorry, plis send me yo acaant numba & les be freind. Am tired of ban and hiden post dammit!!! angry cry
You dey look for ever lasting ban..... carry on.
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by adexsimply(m): 10:50am On Jun 05, 2013
cheesy
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by eggheaders(m): 10:50am On Jun 05, 2013
yuzedo: Mukina, I can see u loooookin at my coment wit eagle witch eye. Am sorry, plis send me yo acaant numba & les be freind. Am tired of ban and hiden post dammit!!! angry cry

guy stop smoking this your pawpaw leave with lizard shyte and mosquito coil. seriously it is affecting your brain everyone can tell that from this your ever expensive gbaguns.
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by yuzedo: 10:50am On Jun 05, 2013
fyne_Ijay:
You dey look for ever lasting ban..... carry on.
Mukina is my guys but she dont no. i pray four her evvryday. smiley God bless Mukina + Seun d sweet man. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by druid06(m): 10:58am On Jun 05, 2013
@yuzedo, your comments are getting very childish. I am just at the edge and I have a good mind to unfollowing you. I don't like this new personality you've adopted. Your comments and quotes are always about sex, masturbat-ion or either bragging about living in banana island. It's getting too old and irritating.

15 Likes

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by DisGuy: 11:02am On Jun 05, 2013
kinda reveal the shallowness --not many people are talking about the cost of traffic or the advantage -just harping on about the money money money- 'men from the boys' sad

and how does the reporter know where people are posting from? half of them could be in far away toronto!!

2 Likes

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by mysticgal(f): 11:14am On Jun 05, 2013
Nairaland reach punch hurray@seun when will you turn nairaland to newspaper lipsrsealed sorry op i gat nothing to replygrin

1 Like

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by An0nimus: 11:24am On Jun 05, 2013
The Journalist is a Nairalander.

9 Likes

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by Nobody: 11:25am On Jun 05, 2013
Abeg, I sent my sister to go help me get airtime, abeg una help me see am? She never show
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by lifestyle1(m): 11:25am On Jun 05, 2013
cool
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by lifestyle1(m): 11:26am On Jun 05, 2013
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by ocheejemb: 11:27am On Jun 05, 2013
yuzedo: Dis very pour riportin!!! angry so dey dint rimmemba to mention dat d brige is near d grate man shun of Chiff Sweetus, d amunekeuto 1 of Banana Island and mentor to aliko d reach bilonnare??! Das why I dint ever read Ponch newpaper!!! Veryyy disproffesional! angry angry angry

Are you for real with this English or are you just taking the piss?
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by Lilimax(f): 11:28am On Jun 05, 2013
Kudos to Nairaland my best Nigerian site for achieving such feat.
I think the nairalanders whose quote was used by Punchng should be applauded.
smiley smiley
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by SamConquer(m): 11:31am On Jun 05, 2013
druid06: @yuzedo, your comments are getting very childish. I am thinking of unfollowing you. I don't like this new personality you've adopted. Your comments and quotes are always about sex, masturbat-ion or either bragging about living in banana island. It's getting too old and irritating.
Na everything You go carry serious, abi You wan just show Yourself.Unfollow the Guy na,afterall You dey pay the Guy Money as You dey follow am.Ride on Yuzedo joor,Me to I just bought my own banana manshum!

24 Likes

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by zcoreman(m): 11:32am On Jun 05, 2013
oh! for a second i read it as "trolling stirs cyber war in nairaland". i was flummoxed as since when did trolls start targetting this site?

2 Likes

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by HezronLorraine(m): 11:35am On Jun 05, 2013
mysticgal: Nairaland reach punch hurray@seun when will you turn nairaland to newspaper lipsrsealed sorry op i gat nothing to replygrin
you probably don't buy papers or just don't read punch.there's a section called I-punch in the PUNCH newspaper.the down column,has Buzz....social diary,here you find comments from nairaland on a selected topic or issue.its not new.it only made news article this time around.
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by DJDOLA(m): 11:35am On Jun 05, 2013
O yea nairaland is better than lindaikeji blog....most of d guys in linda blog as port 2 nairaland they are d guys that do happy if they are d first 2 coment but very soon they will behave like nairaland user dat don't care for first 2 coment

1 Like

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by begwong: 11:38am On Jun 05, 2013
Where is the link to the cyber war on NL

1 Like

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by Jfast: 11:41am On Jun 05, 2013
Haba its nothing to be suprised about. Or do you think nairaland is a small site? An american first told me about the site.
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by Ruq: 11:43am On Jun 05, 2013
A reason for you to stop hiding our post, and let mofos see what we think about them!! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by eyenCalabar(m): 11:43am On Jun 05, 2013
The supposed commenters claim they never made such comments. See Nosegbe's profile here: www.nairaland.com/nosegbe and Batman's: https://www.nairaland.com/batman/posts. Where is Punch getting those comments from? Something seems fishy here Mr. Seun, what can you say about this?
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by johnwizey: 11:45am On Jun 05, 2013
Av nevr been †Φ Lagos before,so ℓ̊ dont knw wat u talkin abt
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by DJDOLA(m): 11:45am On Jun 05, 2013
sheyie2007: Abeg, I sent my sister to go help me get airtime, abeg una help me see am? She never show
she dey our custody...all we want from u is 2 coprate wit us...I will inbox u were u will drop d money..and heyyyy don't try 2 involve police and if u do...u will regret doin so...
Last bullet: ur sister is save here I just send one of my boy 2 go and get her jollof rice wit chicken

1 Like

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by delors(m): 11:45am On Jun 05, 2013
Finally, some great nairalander killed YUZEDO and his crazy personality trash... grin Correct DRUID06, I thought I was d only one who noticed. But don't unfollow him o...the human being can fit to come and go and finish himself o..you are the only follower remaining in his Nairaland account...lolz
YUZEDO, repent! Before you lose ur follow follow people... grin grin grin grin grin
Let's see what happens to the Plantain Island mas.tur.bat.or now... grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by DAY12(m): 11:46am On Jun 05, 2013
No 1 online forum in AFRICA. why not! wink
Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by ichidodo: 11:46am On Jun 05, 2013
yuzedo:
Mukina is my guys but she dont no. i pray four her evvryday. smiley God bless Mukina + Seun d sweet man. smiley
Amunekeoto I of Banana iceland, Alaba boyse is proud of you. but we ar steall waitin fourr our morning food, you can send us richard card.Tenks grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by bolaino(m): 11:46am On Jun 05, 2013
I believe in one God, and in the holy catholic church, I believe in the pope, I believe he is God's representative on earth.

1 Like

Re: Lekki-Bridge Tolling Stirs ‘Cyber-War’ On Nairaland - Punch by Raypawer(m): 11:49am On Jun 05, 2013
mysticgal: Nairaland reach punch hurray@seun when will you turn nairaland to newspaper lipsrsealed sorry op i gat nothing to replygrin

not just Nairaland Newspaper cos i no longer buy news papers , all the news is online, so am thinking of nairaland application, i would do it if contracted by seun...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jang Opposes Fashola’s Bid To Withdraw NGF Suit / Lagos Launches Office Of Overseas Affairs And Investment (pics) / ​ Why EFCC Declared Omisore Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.