Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,896 members, 7,817,641 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:06 PM

Nigeria Will Remain Underdeveloped In My Generation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Will Remain Underdeveloped In My Generation (907 Views)

Why Nigeria Is Underdeveloped. / Reasons Why Our Society Is Underdeveloped / Nigeria: Developed, Developing, Or Underdeveloped Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Will Remain Underdeveloped In My Generation by bilms(m): 2:35pm On Jun 05, 2013
NIGERIA WILL REMAIN UNDERDEVELOPED IN MY GENERATION
By Patrick Chinedu Enwerem

A glance at the title of this short write-up will tend to point to the fact that it’s all about economic indices and occurrences that have surfaced in the Nigerian economic sector in the recent past. No, I shall not waste my time writing on that particular area
that experts have for long misled us. Rather, I shall take a critical look at the issue of job racketeering in the public sector and its impact on the holistic development of Nigeria in the nearest future. Job racketeering has been with us for long. In the early 60s and 70s, local chiefs and government officials engaged in job racketeering by influencing appointments and employment of their community members as well as their political associates into several positions, particularly, in the civil service. One thing that should be noted is that during this period, it was done in order to help without any monetary demand or negative ulterior motives. Those influencing at that period were magnanimous enough to put round pegs into round holes. Thus, traditional rulers did their best by identifying intelligent and well behaved members of their communities to serve in the civil service.

Of recent, job racketeering has taken a new dimension in Nigeria. The latest being the one involving the recently sacked Comptroller of Nigerian Immigration Service, Mrs. Rose Uzoma. We read in the newspapers that Mrs. Uzoma unilaterally shared the over 4,500 employment allocations approved for the Immigration Service to political office holders including the First Lady, “the First Mother”, Federal Character Commission members, Minister of Interior Affairs etc. As the saying goes, charity begins at home,
thus, it was equally reported that Mrs. Uzoma in collaboration with her husband, nominated over one thousand youths for employment in that agency. We were told that applicants were made to pay between Two Hundred Thousand to Four Hundred
Thousand Naira before appointment letters were issued to them.

Having said that, I and I believe, so many Nigerians were shocked at Mrs. Uzoma’s sack knowing fully well that once job opportunities were shared among political heavy weights like Mrs. Uzoma did, everything sails through. It was not until few days back that rumours came up that she was sacked because she failed to ensure that the names on the list of some political godfathers were included in the final names released for employment. It is a very well known fact that job racketeering is very common in all the paramilitary agencies in Nigeria; be it Customs, Police, Prisons, Road Safety Corps, Civil Defense etc.
Federal Government ministries and parasatals are not left out in this ugly trend. These jobs are shared to those in the Presidency, National Assembly Members, Governors, Ministers, party officials and other high ranking political office holders. I make bold to say that in the last 10 years, no Nigeria youth has been employed in any of these agencies and ministries on merit basis. It’s not possible and I stand to be corrected! It has been either a youth pays his/her way through or a godfather as mentioned above pushes for him/her not minding if the youth involved is qualified. In fact, it is a common knowledge that in some agencies and ministries, applicants are requested to pay between half a million to one million Naira. Therefore, I am still very much confused on the major reason(s) behind Mrs. Uzoma’s sack. A lot of potential reasons come to my mind; could it be because of her gender or tribe? Hmmm, that will be for another day. The immediate implications of these unfortunate occurrences in the employment
exercise embarked by most of these federal government ministries and agencies are that the level of corruption will definitely increase. The fact remains that having been coerced to pay outrageous amount in the name of securing employment, these youths
have been indirectly encouraged to engage in corrupt practices. They will endeavour to recoup all that they have spent in the process of seeking for employment and of course, will want to do it on a larger scale. Therefore, I expect a surge in corruption
when my generation finally takes over from our current leaders. There is also the likelihood that most of the youths employed through this racketeering in these very critical and important agencies will end up portraying nonchalant attitude; after all, most of them were forced to take up these jobs by their influential parents or uncles. Take for instance, a custom officer that was coerced to take up the job being deployed at one of the major sea ports or land borders? He/she will definitely look the other way while dangerous goods are cleared for entry into the country.

The recent security challenges being experienced in Nigeria could be attributed to this ugly trend of job racketeering. I have seen a lot of youths that got discouraged and even depressed after seeing their schoolmates and friends who they were better off in
terms of academics and character secure lucrative government jobs, just because they have godfathers or money to bribe their way. In most cases, these less fortunate youths are forced to take to crimes such as kidnapping, terrorism, armed robbery,
militancy etc. One thing those engaging in job racketeering as well as government itself have failed to realise is the fact that when a graduate, despite how mundane and foolish he/she may look decides to take to crime, he/she will definitely make a great
security threat.
Little wonder today we have kidnappers, terrorists, armed robbers as well as militants who handle arms and ammunition better than our trained soldiers and police officers. They equally forget that as they are empowering their children and cronies, their
colleagues who are not fortunate enough to have godfathers will not allow them enjoy their often ill-gotten wealth.
Recently, we were all gladdened when the Nigerian Senate deliberated on this monster, but I have my serious reservations. As the Senate President rightly said, senators need to be careful in accusing the heads of these government agencies.
According to the retired army general, most of the senators may have written them soliciting for one illegal favour which I must say includes influencing employment exercises. If I may add, he who seeks equity must come with clean hands. Thus, I strongly believe that the current ‘gragra’ from our ‘distinguished’ senators could be best described as goose chasing. They have for long been part of the job racketeering cabal and playing saints at this moment just because their nominees did not make it
will not help them. My questions; who will initiate the much expected reforms in Nigeria in my generation? Is it our current leaders who delight so much in corruption and nepotism or the youths that are being duped in order to secure jobs in federal government
agencies? Is it possible for one to engage in bribery to secure a job and then turn around to change the system and strategy that brought him/her in? Is a youth that doesn’t have any sort of flair for paramilitary or civil service profession end up becoming a patriotic and successful officer/worker? Where are we heading to with this job racketeering? Does it mean that any youth in Nigeria no matter how intelligent and qualified who does not have a godfather will never realise an ambition of becoming a
civil servant/officer? Why should our supposedly fathers and leaders be so wicked to deprive my generation opportunities our grandfathers and great grandfathers gave them on a platter of gold? Having looked at all these questions with little or no answers from neither my humble self nor those around me, I have no option than to conclude that Nigeria may not actualise its potentials in my generation and will remain underdeveloped.

http://news.tmipu.org/articles/news_articles_01.html
Re: Nigeria Will Remain Underdeveloped In My Generation by redsun(m): 3:02pm On Jun 05, 2013
The only people that benefits from nigeria at the moment are the criminal leaders(politicians) and their cohorts.

Nothing works for ordinary or rational minded people in nigeria.For one to thrive in nigeria,he/she has to be a crooked politician or related to a crooked politician by blood or otherwise.All the people at helm of affairs in nigeria are criminals,be it police,army,judiciary,banking or clergies.

The country is not for straight forward or hard working people.They are the ones that are relegated and frustrated to the background,the ones that are seen as "jews" that doesn't to "fastness"(waywardness).And only straight fowardness,dedication and hard work can save the nation.
Re: Nigeria Will Remain Underdeveloped In My Generation by zionwol: 4:32pm On Jun 05, 2013
Initialy, I was not interested in reading this write up. I was about to say that the writer will see the good of the land but not eat of it. But when I read, I discovered that it was a problem of choice of title.
I want to advise that people should be careful with the title they give their write up. We have to be positive and optimistic about our country. Now look at it dear writer, people are not reading this post just because of the wrong choice of topic you made, although you are passing a message.
Sorry, make you no fessssss. I am not a grammarian.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Remain Underdeveloped In My Generation by bilms(m): 8:45pm On Jun 05, 2013
Hum
Re: Nigeria Will Remain Underdeveloped In My Generation by UyiIredia(m): 10:05pm On Jun 05, 2013
While I believe job racketeering is indeed a problem I think it is over-rated in the OP.
Re: Nigeria Will Remain Underdeveloped In My Generation by bilms(m): 11:44pm On Jun 05, 2013
What do you mean?

(1) (Reply)

ANAMBRA 2014 / Is POTUS Making A Stopover In Nigeria? / Hangout With Fashola And MI On Google Plus

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.