Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,303 members, 7,819,025 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Even PHCN Uses Generator! - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Even PHCN Uses Generator! (4438 Views)

Does Phcn Uses Generator To Empower Us?? / Phcn Uses Generators In Its Offices; Group Wants Practice To End / PHCN Uses Generator And Shouts Up NEPA When There Is Light! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by dave07(m): 4:56pm On Jul 21, 2008
the fact that there was no supply at phcn office only goes further to prove that phcn is not the cause of the blackout the country is experiencing.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by vanunu: 7:22pm On Jul 21, 2008
The only solution to power problem in Nigeria is for the government to allow private companies to come in, What Geometrics Nigeria Ltd. a private company that is into energy generation, is currently doing in Aba, is the only solution to our energy crisis, In fact they are going to commission there power plant by December, and will for the first time, Aba will enjoy uninterrupted power supply. Right now, they are in the about to test run their power station.

Geometrics were given the license to build and operate power station by the Obasanjo regime, at the same time Obasanjo gave contracts to about six other companies to build power stations for the govt. These companies are today telling cock-and-bull stories ,
while Geometrics that sought for their fund privately are about to commission their power station. They had earlier on built a small power station in Abuja, for Aso Rock and its environs.

This company is owned By Professor Barth Nnaji, A professor of robotics, and a consultant to NASA.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by vanunu: 7:29pm On Jul 21, 2008
After the commissioning by December, Geometrics will use PHCN lines for distribution, and they are going to run it independently (nothing concerns NEPA for this one) These company is the only serious power company in Nigeria presently.

It cost them $250 million dollars to build the company.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by 4Play(m): 7:34pm On Jul 21, 2008
I won't be surprised if Barth Nnaji,through Geometrics, is merely a front for some thieving politician.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by Kobojunkie: 7:52pm On Jul 21, 2008
$250 million dollars?? What is the capacity?? Is this just for Aba? @Vanunu
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by Caliente(m): 11:55am On Jul 22, 2008
vanunu:

The only solution to power problem in Nigeria is for the government to allow private companies to come in, What Geometrics Nigeria Ltd. a private company that is into energy generation, is currently doing in Aba, is the only solution to our energy crisis, In fact they are going to commission there power plant by December, and will for the first time, Aba will enjoy uninterrupted power supply. Right now, they are in the about to test run their power station.

Geometrics were given the license to build and operate power station by the Obasanjo regime, at the same time Obasanjo gave contracts to about six other companies to build power stations for the govt. These companies are today telling cock-and-bull stories ,
while Geometrics that sought for their fund privately are about to commission their power station. They had earlier on built a small power station in Abuja, for Aso Rock and its environs.

This company is owned By Professor Barth Nnaji, A professor of robotics, and a consultant to NASA.

[size=13pt]What! never heard that before. $250m, that's lots of a lot. Let the thing be effective and efficient, that's all I care.[/size]
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by RiffRaff: 12:13pm On Jul 22, 2008
Problem Has Changed Name grin grin
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by ogaade3: 12:53pm On Jul 22, 2008
ok, people , a liitle education will do here. i really want to know how power is distributed in nigeria as in the whole process whether from kainji, or egbin or wherever. it is not just enough to say 'nepa' has taken light. i ll want to know why, is it because somebody, an individual decided to pull a lever from 'on' position to 'off', or the engine got to hot and switched off automatically or kainji is dry,what really happens
any phcn staff in the house undecided
because some of us (most) may not really know the how and why.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by SkyBlue1: 1:10pm On Jul 22, 2008
@oga.ade i'll just adlib through. First of all, there isn't anywhere near enough power capacity in the first place for all Nigerians to have constant residential power supply not to even talk of even running industries. South Africa has a population of about 43million people and the country has a power generating capacity of 40 000mW and even with such South Africa has been experiencing some power problems (of course no where close to Nigeria's level), you also have to take into account that South Africa has functioning industries unlike in Nigeria whereby companies like MTN are almost fully dependent on generators. Nigeria in comparison has a population of over 140million people. Guess what the generating capacity of Nigeria is ? - about 3000mW. See the huge difference? The power sector is just a mess to put it lightly because i don't know what else to say about it. There isn't even enough power to distribute in the first place and i won't be surprised if some rationing is done (i.e turning on and off of some switches to redeistribute to "important" places).

NEPA has a complete monopoly of the market and no new generating plants had been built for a long time. The resources are there to exploit, coal in enugu can be used to run power plants. The gas that is being flared in the Niger delta can be used to power most of if not all of Nigeria if people were serious about such and yet it is just being wasted via gas flaring simply because it would take the oil companies more effort to do this and gas flaring is cheap. Deadlines have been set by the government to stop gas flaring and the deadlines are continuously being shifted by the government. I believe a significant chunk of the power come from the only dam in the country and during dry season the water level drops hence less power is generated.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by ogaade3: 2:05pm On Jul 22, 2008
@skyblue. thanks for the reply but the questions are still unanswered. guess everyone knows the power generatioin in nigeria is not enough for thepower needs of the country. but to the lay-man on the street, nepa has taken light,nepa has brought light, what actually happened? did the 'clown' who switched the lever to 'off' position suddenly realise that 'let me just pity these people' or what exactly I want phcn insider info angry
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by Kobojunkie: 2:18pm On Jul 22, 2008
[img]http://www.ucahelps.gov.ab.ca/images/uca-electricity.gif[/img]

Generation
Generation is the first step in the process to provide electricity to consumers. About half of the electricity in Alberta is generated by coal fired generation plants. Natural gas and renewable generation (e.g. hydroelectric, biomass and wind-powered plants) are also sources of Alberta's electricity.

As high volumes of electric energy cannot be stored efficiently, generation plants produce it in real-time, as consumers demand it. This means at certain times of the day there can be a higher or lower demand for power in the province. When there is increased demand for power, generation plants must start up additional turbines in order to produce the needed electricity. The Alberta Electric System Operator (AESO) (external link) is responsible for monitoring the electric grid and calling on the generation needed to meet the needs of all Albertans.

Electricity prices, which are based on the laws of supply and demand, are affected by daily fluctuations in consumer needs. The lowest cost generators are turned on first in Alberta. When the electricity demand increases, the higher-priced generators come online as needed.

Energy providers purchase electricity through a combination of long-term contracts with the generation companies and short-term purchases. Energy providers then sell the electricity they have purchased to you, the consumer, either at the regulated rate or under contracted terms.

Transmission
Once generated, electricity travels across Alberta from generating plants over high-voltage transmission lines to local transformers. The transformers reduce the voltage level making it suitable for local distribution.

Distribution
Electricity then travels over low-voltage distribution lines, owned by your local distribution provider, to your home or business.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by incharge1: 3:04pm On Jul 22, 2008
sori guys but cant join yr team. these days i av light at least 6 out of 24hrs
so u go, PHCN! ; tongue grin
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by gongoaso1: 3:09pm On Jul 22, 2008
oga.ade:

@skyblue. thanks for the reply but the questions are still unanswered. guess everyone knows the power generatioin in nigeria is not enough for thepower needs of the country. but to the lay-man on the street, nepa has taken light,nepa has brought light, what actually happened? did the 'clown' who switched the lever to 'off' position suddenly realise that 'let me just pity these people' or what exactly I want phcn insider info angry

oga.ade thanks, u just spoke my mind. who knows what really exactly happens when nepa takes and brings light. the replies so far are enlightening on the general distribution and generation but the specifics, who pulls the lever and who decides when the lever (if any) should be pulled
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by moseshola(m): 4:58pm On Jul 22, 2008
Our leaders know wat is good for us and they have refuesd to make it available for us, not that they can not make it available but they have purpoesd in their hearts not to. Now tell me, why the delay in declearing a state of emergency in the powe sector or is it not yet an emergency?
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by debosky(m): 5:28pm On Jul 22, 2008
Kobojunkie:

$250 million dollars?? What is the capacity?? Is this just for Aba? @Vanunu

I'm not too sure about the dollar figures, but it will have a capacity of 188MW to start with, running 4 47MW gas turbines.

Geometric Power

It is the need to encourage efforts like this that the NERC initiated the Multi-Year Tarrif Order (MYTO) which people complained raised power prices, but is a necessary change required to ensure that independent power producers can sell the power generated at an economically viable price and can approach banks for investments based on realistic revenue projections.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by santony2k(m): 7:42pm On Jul 22, 2008
I looked into the dollar figure.
Vununu was right $250 million is the cost.

http://geometricpower.com/news/oct_28_2007.html

The price isn't a lot, contrary to what you might think. $250 million is chicken change - when it comes to power generation. They'll make that money back in less than 3 years.
If its properly executed and if it works good. They should build more all over the country (1 per state, if possible), divide Lagos into 3 subdivisions build 3. and then use NEPA as backup.

I work in the energy generation industry (diff from distribution), and can say confidently, 250 million dollars is a joke. The project is probably a test run to see if its a viable solution to our problem.

ps. They all don't have to be coal, if you're close to the water, use hydro. In the desert, use solar (good luck). We can afford to use coal, we have a alot of it. I heard some politicians worrying about polluting the air. F**k that. We'll have the cleanest air and be in the darkness. We can deal with the air after we have electricity for 24 hrs. China is doing it, why can't we?
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by Kobojunkie: 9:39pm On Jul 22, 2008
santony2k:

I looked into the dollar figure.
Vununu was right $250 million is the cost.

http://geometricpower.com/news/oct_28_2007.html

The price isn't a lot, contrary to what you might think. $250 million is chicken change - when it comes to power generation. They'll make that money back in less than 3 years.
If its properly executed and if it works good. They should build more all over the country (1 per state, if possible), divide Lagos into 3 subdivisions build 3. and then use NEPA as backup.

I work in the energy generation industry (diff from distribution), and can say confidently, 250 million dollars is a joke. The project is probably a test run to see if its a viable solution to our problem.

ps. They all don't have to be coal, if you're close to the water, use hydro. In the desert, use solar (good luck). We can afford to use coal, we have a alot of it. I heard some politicians worrying about polluting the air. F**k that. We'll have the cleanest air and be in the darkness. We can deal with the air after we have electricity for 24 hrs. China is doing it, why can't we?

Well, it is easy to go around saying things like 250Million is chicken change without considering the real output in the area. I mean right next door to NY is a project in NewJersey that cost about $15 million and is to power about 2500 households. If this is a test project at 250 million, then I wonder how many households they intend to power and if this is government funded or not.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by debosky(m): 9:45pm On Jul 22, 2008
@ Kobo

there is enough information to answer your question in the link I posted - the aim is primarily to supply electricity to the Aba Industrial Cluster, with the remaining power distributed locally. THe project is primarily funded by the IFC and will be purely commercial in operation.

If we were to assume that 188MW would be for domestic use alone, that would power between 20,000 to 30,000 homes, depending on how much power consumption is estimated per home.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by eiete(f): 12:55am On Jul 23, 2008
Na today? The thing they happen every where.

Because they have change name does mean a new leaf for them.

They are still the same old wine, only this time in a new calabash.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by faoni572(m): 9:49am On Jul 24, 2008
May God save Nigeria from darkness!
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by benzion72(m): 12:12pm On Jul 24, 2008
Should PHCN continue to serve thier customers Bills?. We are even paying for service that was not rendered. I leave in a block of flats one of the flat has been disconnected for the past four years PHCN is still bringing bills to the flat. Yar Adua said he will declare emmergency uptill now nothing as been declared. for Power alone i may relocate from this country
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by benzion72(m): 12:16pm On Jul 24, 2008
Should PHCN continue to serve thier customers  Bills?. We are even paying for service that was not rendered. I leave in a block of flats one of the flat has been disconnected for the past four years PHCN is still bringing bills to the flat. Yar Adua said he will declare emmergency uptill now nothing as been declared. for Power alone i may relocate from this country
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by slyk2(m): 3:18pm On Jul 24, 2008
no cause for alarm.
PHCN is showing the stuff they are made of.
Expect them to use lanterns and candles soones.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by ayo84(m): 3:24pm On Jul 24, 2008
Every top level management staff has a priority, their priorities are to make as much money as they can which will last for their unborn generations.

They don't give a damn about wheither there is light or not, they just want to chop,chop and keep on choping.

In fact , according to them, when you try putting things right, you are spoiling business.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by linn(f): 5:01pm On Jul 24, 2008
A whole country using Generator for it's power supply!!!! that's insane. It proves we aren't getting any better and won't. Ghana has steady power supply and Nigeria claiming to be the Giant of Africa can't atleast have power. Without a steady electricity in a country nothing moves. No development. We only need God's intervention to survive in this country.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by 74071688(m): 5:04pm On Jul 24, 2008
and when we dont have oil to power our generators, we would grind to a halt!

chei, we don enter am!!
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by sukky411(m): 5:20pm On Jul 24, 2008
tHERE was this very funny incident that happened in Ibadan a month ago. Ibadan Poly students went on rampage because of power outage and dashed for the PHCN office close to sango.On getting there, the main PHCN OF THAT DISTRICT,there were using GEN to power activities there, the angry students were dumbfounded and left in astonishment.

So its really really sad
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by iukpe: 5:38pm On Jul 24, 2008
16b naira sunk in power project by the last govt . How many "I-pass-my-neighbour" would that have been for struggling nigerians to manage their lives? would have been a better thing to do than to loose the cash from the treasury.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by iukpe: 5:46pm On Jul 24, 2008
The power problem will not stop.
The big boys are involved in fuel importation.
Do you know how much money will be saved if we all stopped running generators everyday and night?
Thats a lot, they dont want to loose it and the irony is, its their foot that needs to go down to fix the power,
Its like removing garri from their mouth.
IT WILL NOT HAPPEN!!!!!.
My generator gulps at least, 6 times the volume of fuel my car gulps in a week and that applies for every nigerian who doesnt want to live a life of darkness.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by atilla(m): 10:09am On Jul 25, 2008
HHHm

I went to PHCN office at Marina some time ago and found out that they take their Gen of everyday at 12 o clock and then rely on nepa for the rest of the day.

the day i was there they were running around like chikens before the gen went off I couldnt believe it.
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by abbeyboy(m): 1:46pm On Jul 26, 2008
How ironic[i][/i] undecided angry
Re: Even PHCN Uses Generator! by dayokanu(m): 1:59pm On Jul 26, 2008
Even Jackie Chan uses guns

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

All Yoruba And Igbo Must Read This! / Video: man caught with 2019election result,saying his boss sent him to Osinbajo / Breaking: Senator Okorocha Joins His Fellow Senators For The NASS Election.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.