Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,558 members, 7,812,804 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:35 PM

Please Help Review this Cover Letter - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Please Help Review this Cover Letter (30621 Views)

Please Constructively Criticise This Cover Letter / Please Help In Evaluating This Cover Letter / Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by nikkyshyne(f): 12:53pm On Jun 06, 2013
Too long. Most employers do not bother with the covering letter. They only skim thru.

'As you can see' in that letter is rather cheeky. I suggest you remove it. 'Please find attached my resume. I recently graduated from bla bla is fine.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jun 06, 2013
femi4: Dear Sir is right irrespective of the gender of hrm............its a man's world grin grin grin grin

Also, re-arrange your addy and date in this form and remove the Bsc, gsm no and emai addy. Bsc is not your surname

Full Name.
1 Address Road,
Ekpoma, Edo State.
Nigeria
6th May, 2013

It is very inappropriate and a wrong assumption.
I had an experience over this years ago with a Human Resource Manager in an airline. I addressed the note as Sir,she was very furious and upset and did not attend to me, despite the fact that a close friend of hers referred me.
I have seen other real life experiences where such assumption caused serious catastrophe.
@ Op ensure you use Dear Sir/Madam when addressing a letter especially in Nigeria and in cases where you are not sure of whether its a male or female occupying such a position.
If you sent this letter to me and included a "Dear Sir", i would pay no attention to it as i would assume you did not do a research properly of the company website before writing such a letter, so why should i employ you. Besides some Nigerian women could be Harsh/Temperamental.
Be on the safe side.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by jideaffo(m): 12:55pm On Jun 06, 2013
Pls house, is it good to type the cover letter in MS word and attach it to the mail OR one should type it in d body of the mail. Thanks
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by dulphines: 12:55pm On Jun 06, 2013
@OP, if your godfather who wants to get the job for you says its ok, then its ok. i.e if you have any. #Just judging by what goes on in Nigeria#
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by obi123: 12:57pm On Jun 06, 2013
ROSYL: Childish!

did you really need to say childish when you clearly had the intention of helping the person out ? it wasn't necessary
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by honestivo(m): 12:57pm On Jun 06, 2013
Is ur adress necessary in a cover leter
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by fuckluv(f): 12:58pm On Jun 06, 2013
Edit the application aspect and start from;
'In response to your .......'
Application is different from cover letter. Cover letter will only introduce your resume and must be punchy.
What u wrote up there is too long.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by obi123: 12:59pm On Jun 06, 2013
AmBeautiful: Your letter should be addressed : Dear Sir/Madam

or be forward thinking , go the extra mile to find out who exactly this letter needs to go to
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by obi123: 12:59pm On Jun 06, 2013
dulphines: @OP, if your godfather who wants to get the job for you says its ok, then its ok. i.e if you have any. #Just judging by what goes on in Nigeria#

and with what goes on in Nigeria people are still getting jobs without God fathers
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by sureway1(m): 1:01pm On Jun 06, 2013
femi4: he can also see it as unnecessary familiarity....its 50/50 sha
Hw will u feel if out of 100students you teaches greet u gud morning and only 2 greet u mentioning ur names lncluding ur middle name.
even God will b lmpress..
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 1:01pm On Jun 06, 2013
obi123:

or be forward thinking , go the extra mile to find out who exactly this letter needs to go to

Thank you. The real reason i corrected this is because i went to Access Website and i noticed there that the Head of Human Resource is addressed as Ms (Bolaji Agbede), i do not know if maybe their website has not being updated.
@ Op please take note.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by demmy55(m): 1:09pm On Jun 06, 2013
sure way: I'll suggest you make your research well to know the name of the c/o...instead of saying dear madam/sir..
it can be e.g dear mr Arikuyeri James,

Or simply put. Dear Mr Dragnet wink
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by DisGuy: 1:19pm On Jun 06, 2013
While in the University, I worked as the treasurer of management Science Students Association of Nigeria,(MASSAN) Falculty of Management Science , Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma . In this, I quickly earned a reputation as a professional, conscientious worker with excellent personal -relations skills. In addition, I am known as someone who is driven to get things done. Among my other strengths, I have good research skills and IT Skills.

all these fictious one man associations of Nigeria sef! cheesy
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by DeepSight(m): 1:19pm On Jun 06, 2013
Please, in the name of God, make your cover letter just a few lines and attach your CV and allow it to speak for itself. All that up there only looks unduly self congratulatory and may bore the prospective employer. Good luck!
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by breathless(m): 1:20pm On Jun 06, 2013
My RECONSTRUCTION;

Dear Sir,

APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF GRADUATE TRAINEE

I hereby apply for the above mentioned position in your organization in response to your advertisement of 6th May, 2013 in the xxxxxxx newspaper. I am a promising, hardworking university graduate from the Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, with a background in Accounting and Management. As a creative, energetic individual with excellent communications skills and a pleasant, accommodating manner, I believe I possess the right combination of skills to be considered.

I have worked in the same University as the treasurer of management Science Students Association of Nigeria,(MASSAN) Faculty of Management Science where I quickly earned a reputation as a professional and conscientious worker with excellent personal -relations skills. In addition, I am target driven and result oriented on any assigned task. My other knowledge, skills and strengths include but limited to excellent and quality research analysis and ICT Skills such as Arc Maps, Oracle 11g data base, Linus OS, Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint and Microsoft Word.

My post graduation professional work experience include Polaris Digitech where I worked Briefly as a contract staff from Jan. 2xxx to Dec. 2xxx and Land Surveyors & GIS consultants as a systems operator from Jan. 2xxx to Dec. 2xxx.

I am a fast learner and confident with a large intellectual capacity for growth and development. I trust that you will find my qualification and skills resourceful to your organisation.

I will greatly appreciate an opportunity for further discussions as I look forward to your favourable response soonest.

Kindly contact me at the address and phone number listed above.

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

3 Likes

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by collynzo2(m): 1:53pm On Jun 06, 2013
Malubi: Just make sure the later is short and snapy because HR Officers may not have time to read a lengthy laters. Thanks
Also make sure you avoid grammatical and spelling blunders like the above.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by pendusky(m): 1:58pm On Jun 06, 2013
ur achievements shld be in ur Resumé! No HR want to read ur stories!
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 06, 2013
donpere:
So wat do u suggest?

Adultish! grin
donpere:
So wat do u suggest?

Adultish!

1 Like

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by IYANGBALI: 2:03pm On Jun 06, 2013
donpere:
So wat do u suggest?
don't mind the empty barrel
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jun 06, 2013
collynzo2: Also make sure you avoid grammatical and spelling blunders like the above.
I was d one who liked your post
......I'm just trying to imagine wat d letter wudda bin like if dat guy ad written it
Nlers.....na wa
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by IYANGBALI: 2:06pm On Jun 06, 2013
ROSYL: Childish!
shut the fok up if you have nothing to offer the dude
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Skywalker5(m): 2:10pm On Jun 06, 2013
breathless: My RECONSTRUCTION;

I have worked in the same University as the treasurer of management Science Students Association of Nigeria,(MASSAN) Faculty of Management Science where I quickly earned a reputation as a professional and conscientious worker with excellent personal -relations skills. In addition, I am target driven and result oriented on any assigned task. My other knowledge, skills and strengths include but limited to excellent and quality research analysis and ICT Skills such as Arc Maps, Oracle 11g data base, Linus OS, Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint and Microsoft Word.

My post graduation professional work experience include[b] Polaris Digitech where I worked Briefly as a contract staff[/b] from Jan. 2xxx to Dec. 2xxx and Land Surveyors & GIS consultants as a systems operator from Jan. 2xxx to Dec. 2xxx.

You did not write which skills helped you in being good at your job.You are applying for a graduate trainee role. The company can invest and teach you all the IT skills you wrote down but they wont be able to teach you teamwork, inter-personal skills,managing others, e.t.c . That should be one of your strongest point. You need to be able to tell them you can work as a team and also on your own.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 06, 2013
Dude..I would suggest you use the MLA format it looks more professional....i didnt have to read letter to see what was wrong with it....start with a better format....
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by sucess001(m): 2:17pm On Jun 06, 2013
Far too lenghty.

Gone are the days when your cover letter is used to determineyour suitability for a job.

Your resume speaks more these days.

since most organizations now recieve cvs online, you may just write;

Dear Sir,

Your company's advert in bla bla bla refers. (even this line isnt totally necesary)

Please find attached my resume for the advertised_________ position.

Best regards,
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by dulphines: 2:19pm On Jun 06, 2013
obi123:

and with what goes on in Nigeria people are still getting jobs without God fathers

Congrats!
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by InvertedHammer: 2:25pm On Jun 06, 2013
donpere: Hey guys a friend just sent me this cover letter to help edit. I have edited . Below is the Result. Pleas i want to know if its okay.

FULL NAMES, BSc.
1 ADDRESS ROAD ,
EKPOMA , EDO STATE
NIGERIA
G.S.M: (+234xxxxxxxxxx)
Email: xxxxxxx@ymail.com

6,5, 2013

The Human Resources Manager,

Access Bank Plc,

Lagos,

Nigeria

Dear Sir,

APPLICATION FOR GRADUATE TRAINEE

I hereby apply for a Graduate Trainee position in your organization in response to your advertisement 6th May, 2013. I am a promising, hardworking recent university graduate with a background in Accounting and Management.[s] As a creative, energetic individual with excellent communications skills and a pleasant, accommodating manner, I believe I offer the right combination of skills to be just that person you require.[/s]

As you can see from my enclosed résumé,I recently graduated from the Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma with a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.

While in the University, I worked as the treasurer of mManagement Science Students Association of Nigeria,(MASSAN) Falculty of Management Science , Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma . [s]In this, I quickly earned a reputation as a professional, conscientious worker with excellent personal -relations skills[/s]. In addition, I am known as someone who is driven to get things done. Among my other strengths, I have good research skills and IT Skills.

After Mmy University , I worked Briefly as a contract staff with Polaris Digitech , Land Surveyors & GIS consultants as a systems operator, i I have excellent knowledge of Arc Maps, Oracle 11g data base, Linus OS, Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint and Microsoft Word.

As a fast learner with a large capacity for growth and development, I am confident that, with these skills and traits to offer, I will prove to be an asset to your company.

I would be pleased to have the opportunity to discuss and look forward to speaking with you soon. Feel free to contact me at the address and phone number listed above.

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

XXXXXXXX

Is this a Cover letter or a Resume'/CV?

You can modify your approach and leave out all these "As a creative..","As you can see"," As a fast learner".
--Check your spellings.
--Check your grammar.
--Know when to use capital letters.

I will assume that this is a rough draft. A lot of students will learn from this b/c I have seen terrible
cover letters and CVs in Nigeria.

The letter is too long
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by dgreat001(m): 2:25pm On Jun 06, 2013
Startin frm yur address, try formalize d date (like: 5th of June, 20...) And also,the write up is too lengthy, reduce it abit
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by bee444: 2:31pm On Jun 06, 2013
breathless: My RECONSTRUCTION;

Dear Sir,

APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION OF GRADUATE TRAINEE

I hereby apply for the above mentioned position in your organization in response to your advertisement of 6th May, 2013 in the xxxxxxx newspaper. I am a promising, hardworking university graduate from the Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma, with a background in Accounting and Management. As a creative, energetic individual with excellent communications skills and a pleasant, accommodating manner, I believe I possess the right combination of skills to be considered.

My post graduation professional work experience include Polaris Digitech where I worked Briefly as a contract staff from Jan. 2xxx to Dec. 2xxx and Land Surveyors & GIS consultants as a systems operator from Jan. 2xxx to Dec. 2xxx.

I am a fast learner and confident with a large intellectual capacity for growth and development. I trust that you will find my qualification and skills resourceful to your organisation.

I will greatly appreciate an opportunity for further discussions as I look forward to your favourable response soonest.

Kindly contact me at the address and phone number listed above.

Thank you.

Yours faithfully,

You don't start a cover letter with "I hereby apply", and you don't need to put the "APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION..." stuff. What happened to "with reference to your advertisement on... or simple say "Referring to the job ad posted in the Daily Times..."

There's nothing like "Communications skills" but there is communication skills.Your conjunction is awful and your use of grammar is pathetic. What is "pleasant accommodating manner?" ..."skills to be considered". Considered for what? You have to be precise and at the same time elaborate. It is post-graduation and not post graduation.

The paragraph where you said you were a fast learner is too poisonous. What further discussions do you want to have? State why you would want the discussion. why not say " I would be pleased or it would be an honor to discuss this position with you in person". What is "my other knowledge?" I don't get it. Other knowledge are meant to be your qualifications (not school related).

You started a paragraph with "I have worked in the same University"..total rubbish! What same University are we talking about here?

I can not analyse all the paragraphs one after the other, but I must say you need more coaching in your use of English.

Why say "Thank you?" You don't!!! "Yours faithfully" is archaic and should be replaced with just "Sincerely"

Above all, and to be generous, I'll score you 4/10.

1 Like

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by DrWhizy(m): 2:54pm On Jun 06, 2013
my modification...cheers[quote author=donpe

[/quote]
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by dc555: 2:57pm On Jun 06, 2013
The corrector is being corrected. ahaha

1 Like

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 3:08pm On Jun 06, 2013
Well the cover letter is ok,Op try to shorten and go straight to the point as much as possible..Thank you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vacancy At Diamondbank / Unilag Masters Test? / How I Scammed Lagos Job Scammers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.