Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,553 members, 7,812,770 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:00 PM

Please Help Review this Cover Letter - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Please Help Review this Cover Letter (30620 Views)

Please Constructively Criticise This Cover Letter / Please Help In Evaluating This Cover Letter / Imagine This Cover Letter: Can It Work Here in Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by jideaffo(m): 3:15pm On Jun 06, 2013
Somebody should please answer my question as regards sending a cover letter in MS word format OR typing it in the yahoomail message box. Thanks
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by movado19: 3:17pm On Jun 06, 2013
@ Donpere, Below is what I came up with. I hope it helps.

The Human Resources Manager,

Access Bank Plc,

Bank address?
…………………………

Lagos,

Nigeria

Dear Sir/Madam,

APPLICATION FOR GRADUATE TRAINEE(Make it centered)

(Paragraph)I am applying for the Graduate Trainee position in your organization in response to your advertisement on the 6th May, 2013.

(Paragraph)My name is …………………, a graduate of The Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma with a Bachelors degree in Accounting and Management.
I am positively driven and dedicated to my assigned duties, such as when I became the treasurer of the Management Science Association of Nigeria, (MASSAN). I brought along my energetic outlook to individual and collective issues and looked for long - term remedies to solve them with excellent communications skills as well as my Accounting knowledge. I quickly earned a reputation as a conscientious professional with an excellent synergy of research and IT skills to source for funds and balance the accounts.

(Paragraph)After graduation, I worked briefly as a contract staff with Polaris Deglitch, Land Surveyors & GIS consultants as a systems operator; learned rapidly on the job, where I applied my knowledge of Arc Maps, Oracle 11g data base, Linus OS, and the Microsoft Suite.

(Paragraph)I am confident that my skills and expertise in Management, IT, Accounting and inter personal relationships will bring growth and development to your company should I be hired.

I look forward to speaking with you and being a member of your company, soon.

Attached is my resume/CV for your perusal.

Yours Sincerely,

……………………………………

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by 1forall: 3:23pm On Jun 06, 2013
bee444: You don't start a cover letter with "I hereby apply", and you don't need to put the "APPLICATION FOR THE POSITION..." stuff. What happened to "with reference to your advertisement on... or simple say "Referring to the job ad posted in the Daily Times..."

There's nothing like "Communications skills" but there is communication skills.Your conjunction is awful and your use of grammar is pathetic. What is "pleasant accommodating manner?" ..."skills to be considered". Considered for what? You have to be precise and at the same time elaborate. It is post-graduation and not post graduation.

The paragraph where you said you were a fast learner is too poisonous. What further discussions do you want to have? State why you would want the discussion. why not say " I would be pleased or it would be an honor to discuss this position with you in person". What is "my other knowledge?" I don't get it. Other knowledge are meant to be your qualifications (not school related).

You started a paragraph with "I have worked in the same University"..total rubbish! What same University are we talking about here?

I can not analyse all the paragraphs one after the other, but I must say you need more coaching in your use of English.

Why say "Thank you?" You don't!!! "Yours faithfully" is archaic and should be replaced with just "Sincerely"

Above all, and to be generous, I'll score you 4/10.

But the OP simply asked for help?

1 Like

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Ochek: 3:26pm On Jun 06, 2013
ROSYL: Childish!

You no sabi read ni? The OP said make you help REVIEW him cover letter
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by movado19: 3:31pm On Jun 06, 2013
@ jideaffo: Your cover letter should be typed using word. Print it out and place it on top of your resume. It should be the first thing the HR sees, as a form of introduction to who you are and what you do, before they check out your resume.

I hope this helps.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by dulphines: 4:09pm On Jun 06, 2013
InvertedHammer:

Is this a Cover letter or a Resume'/CV?

You can modify your approach and leave out all these "As a creative..","As you can see"," As a fast learner".
--Check your spellings.
--Check your grammar.
--Know when to use capital letters.

I will assume that this is a rough draft. A lot of students will learn from this b/c I have seen terrible
cover letters and CVs in Nigeria.

The letter is too long

You also forgot to use punctuation mark in your last statement. "The letter is too long" grin
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by RTFM(m): 4:19pm On Jun 06, 2013
OP, I am not convinced by your technical knowledge, What is LINUS OS ??
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by jideaffo(m): 4:31pm On Jun 06, 2013
@movado, God bless you... Thanks for your response
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by fpeter(f): 4:33pm On Jun 06, 2013
Malubi: Just make sure the later is short and snapy because HR Officers may not have time to read a lengthy laters. Thanks

Be sure to spell correctly when advising people....."Letters" you don't need to add "a"
Since it is in plural form already..then "snappy" not snapy should be replaced with brief.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by SPSpecial(m): 4:55pm On Jun 06, 2013
Kx: A quick one:
An interviewer once told me "as u can see" is an indirect insult to the interviewer and does not sound professional.
Edit that aspect.

It is not an insult at all... it just shows too much of pride and also rude.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 5:05pm On Jun 06, 2013
@OP u didn't do anywork on ur own, u ar just askin 4 help dis is d link u copied it from.

http://www.dailynigerianjobs.com/career-resources/sample-cover-letter-5
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by DisGuy: 5:10pm On Jun 06, 2013
see as everbody turn expert overnight!
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by passthem(m): 5:37pm On Jun 06, 2013
u don't need all this poems !a quick/short one is appreciated instead
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by olaolaking: 5:41pm On Jun 06, 2013
Too long. You have a cv to give the details.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by bootlegaz: 6:30pm On Jun 06, 2013
jideaffo: Somebody should please answer my question as regards sending a cover letter in MS word format OR typing it in the yahoomail message box. Thanks
Send your cover letter in MS word format. Why should some one seeking for a professional job send a cover letter by typing it in yahoo compose box? All the best.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by bootlegaz: 6:33pm On Jun 06, 2013
Martowskin: @OP u didn't do anywork on ur own, u ar just askin 4 help dis is d link u copied it from.

http://www.dailynigerianjobs.com/career-resources/sample-cover-letter-5
You don open fowl nyanch.....lol
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by biafranqueen: 6:33pm On Jun 06, 2013
Yes it is very important that you research to find out the name of the manager it will give you an advantage over others since you claim to have research skills
sure way: I'll suggest you make your research well to know the name of the c/o...instead of saying dear madam/sir..
it can be e.g dear mr Arikuyeri James,
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by bee444: 6:35pm On Jun 06, 2013
1forall:

But the OP simply asked for help?

I have to critique first before helping out.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by biafranqueen: 6:54pm On Jun 06, 2013
This is good I would just change the 4th paragraph and beyond to this.

As you'll find in my attached resume, I possess extensive technical skills and experience. What is more difficult to portray on a brief resume are my people skills.

A meeting at your convenience would be greatly appreciated. Please feel free to contact me to schedule a time or to gain further information on my background. I am sure you will agree that I am right for the job after reviewing my resume and meeting me in person.

Thank you for your time and prompt reply. I look forward to meeting you in the near future.

Best regards,

Your full name
Phone #
email

movado19: @ Donpere, Below is what I came up with. I hope it helps.

The Human Resources Manager,

Access Bank Plc,

Bank address?
…………………………

Lagos,

Nigeria

Dear Sir/Madam,

APPLICATION FOR GRADUATE TRAINEE(Make it centered)

(Paragraph)I am applying for the Graduate Trainee position in your organization in response to your advertisement on the 6th May, 2013.

(Paragraph)My name is …………………, a graduate of The Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma with a Bachelors degree in Accounting and Management.
I am positively driven and dedicated to my assigned duties, such as when I became the treasurer of the Management Science Association of Nigeria, (MASSAN). I brought along my energetic outlook to individual and collective issues and looked for long - term remedies to solve them with excellent communications skills as well as my Accounting knowledge. I quickly earned a reputation as a conscientious professional with an excellent synergy of research and IT skills to source for funds and balance the accounts.

(Paragraph)After graduation, I worked briefly as a contract staff with Polaris Deglitch, Land Surveyors & GIS consultants as a systems operator; learned rapidly on the job, where I applied my knowledge of Arc Maps, Oracle 11g data base, Linus OS, and the Microsoft Suite.

(Paragraph)I am confident that my skills and expertise in Management, IT, Accounting and inter personal relationships will bring growth and development to your company should I be hired.

I look forward to speaking with you and being a member of your company, soon.

Attached is my resume/CV for your perusal.

Yours Sincerely,

……………………………………

1 Like

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Miles78(f): 7:11pm On Jun 06, 2013
I would advise on using right prepositions. For instance Application as a graduate trainee not for a graduate trainee, unless its an application for a graduate trainee post or job. Also, try to keep the letter as short as possible and spend much time motivating on what you can offer. Some spell check is needed for example, falculty - faculty is the right word. Remember, the distance between the desk and the rubbish bin is too short.Wish u all the best

1 Like

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by keleto(m): 9:53pm On Jun 06, 2013
PLS NAIRALANDERS,KINDLY LOOK AT THIS RESUME AND COMMENT PLS,.....THANKS

6th June,2013.

Dear Sir/Madam,
JOB APPLICATION
I am a graduate of Electrical & Electronics Engineering from the (SCHOOL). My ambition is to pursue a career in Automation, Instrumentation and Control. I enjoy working in a team environment, and I have interest in power,electromechanical and control systems.
As a maintenance engineer at (COMPANY), am presently involved in the preventive and corrective maintenance schedule on automated production machines,installation and troubleshooting faults in electrical control components in various control panels
I have also worked as an Electrical Engineer at (COMPANY),where I was involved in assembling, control wiring and installation of electrical switchgears-----Synchronisation panel,Automatic Transfer Switch(ATS) panels and various Distribution Board(DB),and later carried out control design with Auto-Cad. These assisted me in troubleshooting various faults in electrical control panels.
I hope to bring integrity,creativity,and dedication to your company, as I look forward to a challenging career and opportunity to expand my skills,if you would kindly give me a role to play in your organization.
Sincerely,
(NAME)
Tel: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 Like

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by supaeagles(m): 10:21pm On Jun 06, 2013
RTFM: OP, I am not convinced by your technical knowledge, What is LINUS OS ??
The OP has already asked fellow NLers for help with correction so what's the point of your question?

@donpere Please correct 'Linus OS' to 'Linux OS'

1 Like

Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 3:52am On Jun 07, 2013
yorke:

You are the one who is being childlish here. You need to grow up kid.
Ok.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 3:58am On Jun 07, 2013
Ochek:

You no sabi read ni? The OP said make you help REVIEW him cover letter
Which was exactly what I did! But no, u chose only to pick on my opinion"Childish".
Please leave me ooooooo,I have chicken pox and it's scratching the hell out of me.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 4:03am On Jun 07, 2013
obi123:

did you really need to say childish when you clearly had the intention of helping the person out ? it wasn't necessary
Enuff already! "Childish" is not a derogatory remark, so what's the fuss all abt.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 4:07am On Jun 07, 2013
babarazy: you are suffering from the malady of the gravest species.
Ok, I guess this one will be milder than chicken pox.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by InvertedHammer: 4:11am On Jun 07, 2013
dulphines:

You also forgot to use punctuation mark in your last statement. "The letter is too long" grin

What's your point?
What I wrote on this issue is not a formal presentation.

Besides, I am not the one looking for a job. So Step off!!!
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 4:17am On Jun 07, 2013
slimmy05: that's quite immature of you, it doesn't need such a silly coment. You would have just posted a better sample for him and that's all. Well OP your cover letter aint that bad. And point of correction, its a graduate trainee position, doesn't need much experience. Just don't stretch much on your qualification as its already in your CV, you could talk more on your achievements and how fit you're for that role, prolly stating your objectives, achievement and goals, work experience (that would show traits of success when exployed) etc. This is my little contribution
The cover letter sounds completely childish to me,I'm afraid.I made some corrections anyway.
OP,I will send a good cover to you when I recover.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Tombrook0: 8:46am On Jun 07, 2013
Its more of boosting.. just go stariaght to point.. its when you r call for interview that you have to tell tell more of what you av acqire in terms of additional knowlegde...
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by toluxa1(m): 8:55am On Jun 07, 2013
smiley
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by auntygee: 9:30am On Jun 07, 2013
ROSYL:
Kindly check the above corrections.Sorry I cldnt do more, I'm not feeling well.
YEvery cover letter you write should be customized for the job you are applying for, clear and concise, grammatically correct, and error-free. in other words, u cant use one cover letter for all your job applications.

Much as your corrections are appreciated, one of the cardinal rules is, the cover letter should be straight to the point. a lengthy letter is often not appreciated unless specifically requested for. What a cover letter does, is to inform the organization about who you are and why you are interested in them. You CV is where all the other details can be discussed. Make it simple, interesting and straight to the point, so that they are moved to want to know you more and this would enable them go through your CV. Saying every thing in a cover letter is a sign of desperation.
Re: Please Help Review this Cover Letter by Nobody: 10:22am On Jun 07, 2013
Thanks Nlanders for your corrections and contributions. U have made my day. @ ROSYL kindly pm me d cover letter via email ayemark@ymail.com
Hope you re getting better now.

You are all welcome to pm me ur cover letters as well.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Vacancy At Diamondbank / Unilag Masters Test? / How I Scammed Lagos Job Scammers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.