Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / . (6562 Views)

His Parents Are Against Him For Wanting To Get His Own House / No Privacy In My Own House (2) / Is It Proper For A Woman To Build Her Own House? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by slimyem: 1:29am On Jun 07, 2013
The guy is simply uncultured and he needs some sense of culture,decorum and respect knocked into him.The guy is a kill-joy and kill-action.

Talk to him. You don't like it and you are not comfortable with it should be simple enough. No uncecessary words,no insults.

If the clothes are the issue,get a laundary basket somewhere outside the room where he can have access to them and of course there should be a place he can drop them when he's done with ironing.
Your room should be off-limits!

P.S: Nothing as good as newly weds staying just on their own for at least the first years of marriage.
Re: . by Nobody: 1:30am On Jun 07, 2013
No Offence oh and it's sincere with no sentiment atall just curious ...

For the 'she allowed it during courtship team' ( in context of this situation discussed on NL lately) ..... Abeg let me ask few questions oh...

Is it NOW a Mandatory criterion for the lower class in Nigeria to have a rented property ( room & parlour at least) before getting married even if you can't afford it ??

In order words you Must be able to Afford live on your own before you can have a wife and have kids?? Or else kids out of wedlock will be the next available option??

Even if the family house with at least 2 bedroom is there and available at least to start with??
Re: . by greatgod2012(f): 1:36am On Jun 07, 2013
Les: Those calling it slow, nawa 4una o, it's more of being insensitive and unenlightened about marriage than stupid, for c.o.L, D dude is bloody hardworking!

nothing wey person no go read for NL,even, if she had allowed the guy while dating, how can she know that a full grown up man like that, even older than the op will not know how to respect his brother's marriage or his brother's wife privacy. Haba!you people talk as if we too never lived with a single and married people before or as if no one lived with our partners before.
IMO, that lady never made a mistake for tolerating him during courtship, because how can she know that an adult like that wont know how to keep his space after discovering that his brother is married. I will say it again, its the BIL that is either slow or up to something (remember hes older than the op) or wicked. I will even not be surprised if after this, the op opens another thread that he(BIL) peeps to either listen or see them when they are making love, hes such a stu.pi d man that can do such.
I have advised the op, and the earlier she confront the silly man, the better for her.
#im out
Re: . by Nobody: 1:50am On Jun 07, 2013
so when they start having kids this man will still be in the house

y is a grown a/ss man doing there anyway

reminds me of an episode of greys anatomy when christina walked around the house naked to get her boyfriends friend out of the house - the guy was gone that night grin

1 Like

Re: . by slimyem: 2:01am On Jun 07, 2013
^^someone as dumb as this guy won't get that kind of message. He'll just say sorry and continue in his indiscretion.
Re: . by Nobody: 3:02am On Jun 07, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
Why did u say it won't work? Untill he cs what he has been dreaming of b4 I can take action? My hubby that's supposed to call d guy to order is wasting time.maybe d bro is used to seein his bro na*ked but I'm not d bro.so I need to respect myself.
While waiting for my hubby to do something,I will call a carpenter to come and fix a jamlock for me. That kind of person might ra*pe u one day cos I don't think he is ok

The OP also complained that even when they lock the door, he will bang on the door outside till they open it. So even if they get a jam lock, he will be outside banging on the door when he wants to enter. The wife simply needs to tell him to stop all the rubbish he's doing.

This is part of why I'm wondering whether the guy is mentally re*tarded or have some other issue. What normal human being does that? Barge in and out of a room of a someone of the opposite sex and if they lock their door, they stay there and bang on the door till they open it. It's like he even doesn't realize what he's doing is bad.

I suppose it's possible that he's also being deliberately wicked and disrespectful but this is an odd way to go about that.
Re: . by Nobody: 3:15am On Jun 07, 2013
Les:

Well, d only way to stop it is for u to assume d role of a wife and show me d unlike button, try talking it out with him and pray he is d understanding type. Those calling it slow, nawa 4una o, it's more of being insensitive and unenlightened about marriage than stupid, for c.o.L, D dude is bloody hardworking!

Interesting. So basically someone who knows how to wash clothes can not be mentally re*tarded? Very interesting indeed.
Re: . by Nobody: 3:39am On Jun 07, 2013
D other day,there was a case of sil and wifey.pple were asking what d gal was still doin in their house
Now c this one again
Poster,what does he do for a living?
Then again,that guy might be ok but jealous of his bro and in lv with his wife,things happen u know.
As for me,I must hv studied him to know d best approach to use.I can't be comfortable in d same house with him at all. Infact I prefer a sil with all her wahala.
A man,I don de fear already.
What of d day only d two of us will be at home.chei! Seriously, fear go de catch me o.( Sleep no wan catch me here o. I tried sleepin and was dreaming of somebody banging on my door, saying he will pull down the door if I don't open.c me c wahala.holy ghost fire for some weird topics here)
Re: . by Nobody: 3:42am On Jun 07, 2013
Interesting cheesy now he's bipolar.... plead guilty on sanity ground cheesy

that works undecided

clonazepam 2 x1mg / PRN (when needed i.e barges in the room) cheesy

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 3:46am On Jun 07, 2013
jidegirl12: Interesting cheesy now he's bipolar.... plead guilty on sanity ground cheesy

that works undecided

clonazepam 2 x1mg / PRN (when needed i.e barges in the room) cheesy
U r funny,very funny
Re: . by Nobody: 3:49am On Jun 07, 2013
chaircover: What is the brother doing now that he wasn't doing before April? and what did you try to do about it before April?

You have told your hubby to do something about his brother. my question is why is this rude behavior only affecting you but your husband seems comfortable with it all? where were the boundaries to start with? Your husband is the senior brother and why hadnt he called his brother to check much earlier than this?

I agree that your brother in laws attitude is a nuisance and annoying but somehow he has gotten used to this behaviour, it is not going to suddenly stop and it will take time and wisdom. Not everything has to be done by force Always try the peaceful and well thouht out option first if you can. Start by telling him that if he keeps on barging into your room, he will stumble upon you nakeed one day and that wont be nice at all

As for the clothes washing, he should stop washing your husbands clothes. your husbands car i can understand, but clothes are personal and it is one of those personal special touches that a wife does for her husband. Your husbands immaculate appearance should be down to you and it should make you feel good that you are the reason why he is looking co cool.

in short apply wisdom to tackle this so you dont end up in a long war that you may or may not end up winning depending om your husbands real stand in all this. Boundaries were not in place from the start and where there are no laws there are no crimes so the ball is back in your husbands court.

To the highlighted part shocked shocked shocked shocked
Are you kidding me?
A brother in law is washing the clothes and you want her to take over
Then when the kids come,she is doing his,hers and their laundry mostly by hand
O di kwa egwu

Op abeg don't take this one o
Apologies CC but this one no gather lai lai
I agree with everything else
The man can wash his own clothes you know
Looks like the lady here lives in Nigeria
You live in England and most likely using a washing machine so please don't give her more work than she deserves
The average working woman does enough already to keep the home going and deserves all the help she can get so any man that can wash his own clothes should be applauded and encouraged to add the bedsheets to the pile

2 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 3:56am On Jun 07, 2013
yellowpawpaw:
U r funny,very funny

Oh okay then grin , don't under-estimate the power of sedatives , slows down the central nervous system, he'll pass out right away , before OP says J .A .C .K ..., the dew deed is done wink cheesy grin

I think I need to get the hellout o' here cheesy cheesy too funny.
Re: . by greatgod2012(f): 5:16am On Jun 07, 2013
ileobatojo:

I suppose it's possible that he's also being deliberately wicked and disrespectful but this is an odd way to go about that.

this is exactly what is happening, probably, because hes older than the wife(OP) and that is why she (op) has to calmly and firmly confront him, yes, she has to, she has taken in enough BS from him,
how i wish some people are just like me, i like confrontatin so much and it has helped me in so many ways, i always demand for explaination/reasons for an action, lol.
"ailesoro ni ibere ori buruku"
may God help them o
Re: . by gabbytabby: 5:41am On Jun 07, 2013
First thing first have a location outside of the bedroom that you leave your Husband's dirty clothes so he has less reason to come into your bedroom.

There are ways you can bring up a subject without making it into an argument. Just tell the story about an abomination that happened to someone when they saw their brother's wife unclad and your advice that they not go to the bedroom so that it never happens again. Or that you read about it somewhere.
Re: . by Nobody: 5:43am On Jun 07, 2013
greatgod2012:

this is exactly what is happening, probably, because hes older than the wife(OP) and that is why she (op) has to calmly and firmly confront him, yes, she has to, she has taken in enough BS from him

If that's really what he's doing and she believes he is doing this deliberately to disrespect her because he is older than her, then what is she being calm for? She is welcome to unleash her anger as far as I'm concerned. A man is deliberately and knowingly barging in and out of my room as a woman and I need to be calm? Firm and calm confrontation is what she should do if she believes he is slow. I never said she shouldn't confront him if he is slow, I said she shouldn't get unnecessarily angry (and try to understand that it is because of his condition), but she must still confront him no matter the reason. Please read my first post.
Re: . by damiso(f): 6:08am On Jun 07, 2013
jidegirl12: No Offence oh and it's sincere with no sentiment atall just curious ...

For the 'she allowed it during courtship team' ( in context of this situation discussed on NL lately) ..... Abeg let me ask few questions oh...

Is it NOW a Mandatory criterion for the lower class in Nigeria to have a rented property ( room & parlour at least) before getting married even if you can't afford it ??

In order words you Must be able to Afford live on your own before you can have a wife and have kids?? Or else kids out of wedlock will be the next available option??

Even if the family house with at least 2 bedroom is there and available at least to start with??

Uhmmm sis,IDEALLY(i know life is not white and black) yeah,if you cant afford at least a room between both of you(now am not saying it must be the guy) i really dont think you should be getting married.I will NEVER advocate for my unmarried sister to marry into a family home just cos she sha wants to marry.Rather than wedding sef,go to registry and use that money to get a place.

Sis apart from NL i know loaddds of people who did this in one form or the other.It almost always never ends well.And am talking not even lower classes here,am talking an entirely seperate flat or duplex.If we want to help my bro cos he cant afford a place or trying to complete his own building(another excuse people give) lets help him get a smaller place in a neutral location. And if he MUST marry into the family home(not a fav for me) there must be laid down boundaries by the guy.Its possible.

This context is slightly different though.The guy na just real irritant.
Re: . by greatgod2012(f): 6:13am On Jun 07, 2013
ileobatojo:

If that's really what he's doing and she believes he is doing this deliberately to disrespect her because he is older than her, then what is she being calm for? She is welcome to unleash her anger as far as I'm concerned. A man is deliberately and knowingly barging in and out of my room as a woman and I need to be calm? Firm and calm confrontation is what she should do if she believes he is slow. I never said she shouldn't confront him if he is slow, I said she shouldn't get unnecessarily angry (and try to understand that it is because of his condition), but she must still confront him no matter the reason. Please read my first post.

no, i got you, im only adrressing those who said she has to tolerate him more or why is she complaining now,blah,blah, as for you, we are on the same level in this thread, you know, "suuru ko ni ki oro ma di ijongbon", hope you get me now, im aint referring to you, i was referring your post for others to see what is really happening in op's home.
Thanks.
Re: . by Nobody: 6:46am On Jun 07, 2013
greatgod2012:

no, i got you, im only adrressing those who said she has to tolerate him more or why is she complaining now,blah,blah, as for you, we are on the same level in this thread, you know, "suuru ko ni ki oro ma di ijongbon", hope you get me now, im aint referring to you, i was referring your post for others to see what is really happening in op's home.
Thanks.

Oh, sorry I misunderstood. I completely agree with you that it's pure nonsense to say why is he complaining now if she tolerated it before.

To those saying so, where did she say she tolerated it before? She only said the brother used to sometimes sleep in the same room with her husband. She wasn't living there and that's why they were able to share the room sometimes.

Second, even if he was doing it before and she tolerated it (which I highly doubt was to this extent, no one would keep quiet about such), she is free to stop tolerating it anytime she likes. She has a right to her privacy and she is welcome to exercise that right whenever she desires.
Re: . by Nobody: 6:52am On Jun 07, 2013

2 Likes

Re: . by Nobody: 7:00am On Jun 07, 2013
Re: . by baby124: 7:23am On Jun 07, 2013
If he's not a rapist, set him up one day. Just be half naked and see his reaction when he bursts in. And then you shout "ahn ahn brother this, can you please knock or say something to check if anyone is prepared for you to enter the room". If he doesn't run out on seeing you, or continues that trend. Then maybe you have a mentally disabled or low IQ inlaw who is just concerned about his chore grin

1 Like

Re: . by biolabee(m): 8:13am On Jun 07, 2013
funny topic.. so there is support for the man to be washing his brothers clothes but they should leave it outside the room so he does not come in

maybe this brother also lays the bed

what is the woman doing in tall these.. what is ur role... akebaje ehennn?

Maybe na this guy dey wash the OP clothes sef

what do they call them again,... alabodo haahhaah
Re: . by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 07, 2013
biolabee: funny topic.. so there is support for the man to be washing his brothers clothes but they should leave it outside the room so he does not come in

maybe this brother also lays the bed

what is the woman doing in tall these.. what is ur role... akebaje ehennn?

Maybe na this guy dey wash the OP clothes sef

what do they call them again,... alabodo haahhaah
Thank you.
Wot does she feel like when d BIL is doing d washing? Madam
When the BIL enters d room uninvited? He feels like a king
Do u know maybe the BIL has complained to his wife about ds washing of clothes and husby is still trying to discuss ds with the wife? Maybe that's y ur husband is not taking d issue serious.
Poster, please get a washer if u cant afford a washing machine now to do d washing for you.
I dont know if u r working or not and i dnt care about ur tribe as well
But from where i come from, it is a sign of disrespect for your BIL dat is older dat you even if its just a day older, to be running errands in his brother's house when dre is a legal wife. U even confirmed dat he is older dan u! so what happens to RESPECT? Am sure they tot u @ home to also respect ur elders d same way they tot u to respect pple's privacy.
If d guy is ur house help, dats a diff case but ur BIL is a No-No thing to do.
You are a new bride to dont create unnecessary enmity for urself at this early stage of ur marriage. Dnt let him report you to the family and u shld know some will back him if not majority.
That guy is not happy with you so you have to be careful d way you approach him.
He is ready to burst if u dnt handle d situation with caution.
You assume dat he is not living in dat house. Begin to do wot he's doing.
Treat him with respect and he will respect you!
Take care and wish you d best
I think you are doing somethings he is not comfortable with and he is looking for a way to hurt you.

1 Like

Re: . by tegabetty: 11:00am On Jun 07, 2013
yellowpawpaw: Maybe u guys need to change d lock. Something like jamlock will do. But make sure u always hv spare with u. Once u enter,end of story unless u want to open. He will get it.
I don't think there is nothing wrong with him washin his bro clothes.unless he does it grudgingly or he is a busy person and u r less busy.
U gat to study him very well to know his kind of person.once u can understand him,u 2 can flow very well.with time he will understand that his bro is married and give u space and ur required respect.
Don't rush him pls.u 2 can become best of pals even ur hubby will envy.
All d best
Re: . by tegabetty: 11:03am On Jun 07, 2013
I fink d jam lock idea is just the best....dats d most sensible tin posted ere so far....other suggestions are good tho but d jam lock jst seals it coz he can nva open ur door during ur private time and he'll be forced to always knock , plus wen d door is lockd most of d tym, chances are he'll reduce d way he comes to your room coz d door is neva opend anyway due 2d jamlock
Re: . by Nobody: 11:20am On Jun 07, 2013
So because he washes her husband's clothes he has earned the right to behave like a barbarian undecided

I wonder when Nigerians will stop with all these 'it's-my-brother's-house' mentality. undecided undecided

The wife is being provoked and God forbid she reacts like a normal human being and lashes out in anger . . .

Nigerians sha . . . we are the very cause of our own problems!
Re: . by slimyem: 12:07pm On Jun 07, 2013
The idea of jam lock doesn't make sense at all. Even if their door is left ajar,he should have no business there unless he is invited in or sent to get something in there.
The best remains that she registers her discomfort by confronting him as soon as possible.
Re: . by Nobody: 12:17pm On Jun 07, 2013
Ujujoan: So because he washes her husband's clothes he has earned the right to behave like a barbarian undecided

I wonder when Nigerians will stop with all these 'it's-my-brother's-house' mentality. undecided undecided

The wife is being provoked and God forbid she reacts like a normal human being and lashes out in anger . . .

Nigerians sha . . . we are the very cause of our own problems!

The things I read here sometimes makes me want to just tear off my weave grin grin
Is there any relationship with this brother's stewpidity and the chores he does in the house.
He is housed and fed by them,by Jove he needs to wash them clothes and wash them well.

If this woman reacts like a normal human being now everybody will blame it on her mother or her village of origin
She is being very patient
95% women,including the ones responding here wouldn't be this patient with a grown man barging into their bedroom at will and banging on a locked door
Is he mad?

Well her patience will eventually wear off and I expect her to call him to order if he continues
Re: . by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jun 07, 2013
slimyem: The idea of jam lock doesn't make sense at all. Even if their door is left ajar,he should have no business there unless he is invited in or sent to get something in there.
The best remains that she registers her discomfort by confronting him as soon as possible.

Thank you o
She has done the right thing by allowing her husband handle it but he has failed to
She ought to look for ways to end this fast
Re: . by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jun 07, 2013
greatgod2012: Am i the only one who thinks differently on this, and i believe this type of indulgence is why mediocrity will continue to wax stronger and stronger in this part of the world. Haba!, a full grown-up man behaving childishly, even, some children know when to respect one's privacy and marriage. The guy is simply st.up.id, how on earth can a full grown up man just enter a couple's room without knocking or banging the door on a couple when the door is locked, even, if hes both their parents and hes the one feeding them, courtesy demands that he gives them their deserved respect. And why do i feel that, hes intentionally doing it to frustrate either or both of the couple wickedly.
Well, as for me, i wont condone it, i wont even tell hubby about it and im certain that it will only happen one time, yes, i mean it just once, there wont be a repetition of such st.upi. dity if im the one involved. "ijo ti a ba ribi ni ibi nwole"
"Nkan ti eeyan o ba ni gba ni olowo, talaka la tii nkoo".
@op, its never too late, face your fear once and conquer it forever. How? Call him"brother so...so), "i want to see you, i dont like the way you just enter our room without knocking, you have to realise that im a married woman and your brother is a married man, we are both legally married and we have the right to anything that may be happening indoor, without apology to anyone, and distubance from anyone, you inclusive, so, give us our deserved respect in order to have your own respect intact. Action and reaction and always equal and opposite. A word is enough"
when your hubby comes from work, tell him what you told his brother and how you told him(if possible, record you converation with you BIL and play it to your hubby when he comes back)
Approach him with all humility and do not raise your voice at him except he reacts otherwise. If hes an honourable and respectful man, he will apologise and refrain from such action. If hes not, then he need to learn it the embarrassing way, by asking him to go out the next time he tries that.
Meanwhile, you have your roles to play, if you still want him to be washing yur hubby's clothes, get a laundry basket and put it in the passage/verander, therein, you pack your hubby's clothes and therein he picks them up, and when hes thru with ironing. Tell him, to leave them in the sitting room, that you will pack them inside from there, or betterstill, get another person to do the laundry and pay for it.
Wishing you goodluck and blissful marriage.

Correct talk i was beginning to wonder if i was the only one thinking like you.
Re: . by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jun 07, 2013
And i keep hearing this talk of she allowed it while they were dating? what was she supposed to do? start washing his clothes? prevent the brother from sleeping in the room? all these to show she will soon be his mrs so this is how things should be. Abeg she wasn't his wife yet so how was she to know the brother will act like this.
Re: . by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jun 07, 2013
Honestly I will correct his brain by slamming the door on his forehead.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

. . . / What Does It Mean When Your Enemy Comes To Apologize In Your Dream? / Can You Entertain A Guest With Its Food?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.