Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,433 members, 7,843,320 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! (1600 Views)

Nigerian Vs Ghanian Girls: Which Are Better? / Dating Nigerian Men / White Girls Dating Nigerian Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by Bizl4Rizl(m): 10:55pm On May 03, 2008
My people - please what exactly is the definition of DATING? Is there a Western definition and a Nigerian definition?

For instance, cant I just meet a cute girl and ask her out on a date with no strings attached, she agrees and we got out for a movie and a bite to eat & if things went well, we could agree to see each other later on a regular basis.

But what I have seen in Nigeria is boy meets girl, boy asks girl (more like harasses) for her phone number, girl gives in & they start seeing each other and it sort of becomes a long term relationship - the guy wants sex, the girl wants what she can get from the guy. . .

(I am just generalizing here)

So pls help out! Thanks!
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by iice(f): 1:20am On May 04, 2008
I feel you. When i was younger and they'd harass me for a date. My response was usually i don't date. Some dudes automatically think you are dating them, just because you went out to eat or something.
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by Dreloaded(f): 1:22am On May 04, 2008
Dating doesnt exist in Nigeria. You go out with someone once and immediately they claim they are getting married.
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by Eclairs: 6:57am On May 04, 2008
Na wa O,

Buts lets be more realistic,  In Nig, I gs its different, I'v bn out on a date a couple of times wv friends and it seem normal, nofin attached, just a meal and thts just about it. we stil cool friends and she's single (apparently)

So whts up wv the gettin married thingy?

I beg no mk me laugh,

Very soon someone will come to nairaland and tell us "He proposed on our first date, what should I do"

In case you are that person, my advise is

Do somefin new with your life,
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by Nobody: 8:18am On May 04, 2008
D reloaded dey yankee,
i don't know where iice resides but deffo not naija
poster doesnt sound like he stays in naija either.

i believe the 3 of u have lived outside naija for at least 5 years. this includes myself
the 3 of u need to discard those thoughts u harbour. naija has moved on. people r lot mature. D reloaded and iice, im sorry the 2 of u do not have first or even second hand experience of the dating scene/game in naija neither do i.

posters, comments do not hold water as of the nigeria of today. i may have co-signed his comments if he referred to it years back.

thank God for yankee and jand.
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by Dreloaded(f): 5:30pm On May 04, 2008
OMO IBO:

D reloaded dey yankee,
i don't know where iice resides but deffo not naija
poster doesnt sound like he stays in naija either.

i believe the 3 of u have lived outside naija for at least 5 years. this includes myself
the 3 of u need to discard those thoughts u harbour. naija has moved on. people r lot mature. D reloaded and iice, im sorry the 2 of u do not have first or even second hand experience of the dating scene/game in naija neither do i.

posters, comments do not hold water as of the nigeria of today. i may have co-signed his comments if he referred to it years back.

thank God for yankee and jand.

Just because I dont live there doesnt mean I dont have friends who are there and even take that ones on NL sef that live in Nigeria

"My fiancee who I started dating 2 weeks ago"

It's like wtf.
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by iice(f): 3:22am On May 05, 2008
Not to mention those ones that see each other from a distance and already start 'living' a relationship in their minds.
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by chika98: 5:25am On May 05, 2008
lol @ living a relationship in their mind. I remember my stalkers back then
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by Bizl4Rizl(m): 10:29pm On May 05, 2008
LOL!

Is there anything wrong in me seeing a beautyful girl I admire & walk up to her & ask her out for a drink or sumfin. . . its actually all those guys who go about harassing girls for their fone nos on the first meeting, & all those girls feelin' (fine and not so fine)

I believe I should be able to walk up to a girl/lady & ask her out for a drink, and she also reserves the right to refuse. Now I am asking because I am interested in her as a person ( speaking for myself here). I may or may not be romantically interested (you may be laughing but its true) in her.

I'm just blabbing here but e dey PAIN me! grin
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by frank316(m): 5:28pm On May 06, 2008
dating in nigeria is bulshit.
you take a girl out on a date and say there is no string attached? unless you want to be her mugu
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by DanDare: 8:50pm On May 06, 2008
frank 3.16:

dating in nigeria is bulshit.
you take a girl out on a date and say there is no string attached? unless you want to be her mugu

I feel you bro . . . thats very true! You cant walk up to a girl and ask her out for drinks without her thinking of a possible ring on her finger!
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by tRoOE(f): 5:21am On May 07, 2008
Naija dating system is funny grin grin grin

Boy likes girl, they started talking sha but in a friendly way
However in the guy mind, he thinks she's his girl
When he finds out she isn’t going that way
Boy becomes angry, and start stalking her, calling her phone harressing her

Or

boy sleeps with girl, it became an everyday thing
boy never asked her to be his girl
but in the girl mind, she thinks they are dating just because they are sleeping together

Just because i go on dates with guys doesn't mean am dating them wink,
date is more like getting to know each other

Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by acidrop(f): 5:23am On May 07, 2008
tRoOE:

Naija dating system is funny grin grin grin

Boy likes girl, they started talking sha but in a friendly way
However in the guy mind, he thinks she's his girl
When he finds out she isn’t going that way
Boy becomes angry, and the start stalking her, calling her phone harressing her

Or

boy sleeps with girl, it became an everyday thing
boy never asked her to be his girl
but in the girl mind, she thinks they are dating just because they are sleeping together

Just because i go on dates with guys doesn't mean am dating them wink,
date is more like getting to know each other

that is soooooooooooo true. damn gurl u gat experience ooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by tRoOE(f): 5:27am On May 07, 2008
acidrop:

that is soooooooooooo true. damn girl u gat experience ooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Not really have just witness them, especially when you have a lot of guy friend, you tend to learn from them
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by DanDare: 8:28pm On May 07, 2008
tRoOE:

Not really have just witness them, especially when you have a lot of guy friend, you tend to learn from them

TRUE . . . to an extent
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by Bizl4Rizl(m): 8:55pm On May 08, 2008
To what extent please elaborate!

Pls keep em coming!
Re: Dating: Nigerian Vs Western Definition! by ztyle(m): 8:59pm On May 08, 2008
Dating Na Dating

(1) (Reply)

I Love This Country So Much ! / Do U Read Ur Woman's Text Messages? / Top 10 Relationship Advice To Girls.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.