Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,600 members, 7,812,958 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:50 PM

A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System (10700 Views)

# Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System / Deadly Bombings Reported In Nigerian City Where Boko Haram Was Founded- NY Times / The Senator Hiding The Wanted Boko Haram Commander. (Premium Times Report) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 09, 2013
Abali1:
Please tell me you are joking. Are you for real? I should help an abdullahi to get Western Education, when the same Aboki is seeking for Virgins and ready to bomb to hell if I try to tell him otherwise.

Deal with it.

Is GEJ the most qualified person to rule Nigeria? If not for quota system(and giving the SS a chance) - do you honestly think someone as ridiculously dumb as he's should be ruling a country as complex as Nigeria? That's how your country is structured - deal with it, brother.

I don't care about how they choose to lead their lives in that part of the country. If the purpose of unity schools is to unify the country - then they deserve their quota regardless of whatever score they get, period!

If you don't like it - avoid unity schools and look for alternatives. That's the beauty of having options.

5 Likes

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by uhuns: 11:38am On Jun 09, 2013
1. U guys. Dont go to church considering time of post.
2. This system is in everything federal in niger
its that bad
example if a general is made in the army. An equivalent is made to Bal the quota. System
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by ecolime(m): 11:42am On Jun 09, 2013
It's still the same woes even 25 years after. Federal character principles has really hindered the progress of lots of brilliant chaps from Southern Nigeria. From NNPC to PTDF to CBN to all other MDAs. A country that supports mediocrity can never develop. It's not a curse, it's just the fact. Reverse discrimination at its peak. So unfair.

4 Likes

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Iykeponti(m): 11:43am On Jun 09, 2013
Late chief Emeka Ojukwu said in those days ,let my pple go but the like of Awo n his nothern so called brothers refused :/ soon Gen.Buhari will get in there n continue from where they stoped..

3 Likes

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Abali1(m): 11:47am On Jun 09, 2013
ShyM-X:

Deal with it.

Is GEJ the most qualified person to rule Nigeria? If not for quota system(and giving the SS a chance) - do you honestly think someone as ridiculously dumb as he's should be ruling a country as complex as Nigeria? That's how your country is structured - deal with it, brother.

I don't care about how they choose to lead their lives in that part of the country. If the purpose of unity schools is to unify the country - then they deserve their quota regardless of whatever score they get, period!

If you don't like it - avoid unity schools and look for alternatives. That's the beauty of having options.
keep exagerating your foolishnesss. Have you ever read any of my post where I have to take sides with GEJ or call him the best from SS?
Do you think my parents (and so many other Igbos) are so daft that they cannot see the decay that Quota system will cause in the nations education system and decided to opt for better options.
The truth is that Dayo and Katsumoto decided to have a contrary opinion and seem to side for quota system in the other thread, because the OP mentioned BIAFRA.
Deal with it, you are just Dayo's azz licker.

9 Likes

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by anonimi: 11:48am On Jun 09, 2013
SLIDE waxie:
It's easy. So many presidents including jonathan shld av reversed dt. The concept was a good move, but jes like jakande said, they shld av learned to keep up! But seriously, 'wld they av'? No!

I am very surprised at the first part of your post as it may reflect some inadequacies in your understanding of how democratic INSTITUTIONS work when it comes to changing an entrenched policy such as we are discussing here.
In case you have forgotten we have been in a democracy since 1999 i.e. 14 years ago and their is a legislative body that is empowered to make laws for the country. Such laws need to be endorsed by 2/3 of the 36 state assemblies to become an integral part of our constitution.

Hope you get it

In the second part of your highlighted post you clearly suggest that our northern brethren would not have been able to catch up as is evident in the 2 entry score point for Yobe against 139 for other states over four decades after the failed policy started.
Yet, ironically some people still want it to continue. For how long, do you think
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Nobody: 12:00pm On Jun 09, 2013
Abali1:
keep exagerating your foolishnesss. Have you ever read any of my post where I have to take sides with GEJ or call him the best from SS?
Do you think my parents (and so many other Igbos) are so daft that they cannot see the decay that Quota system will cause in the nations education system and decided to opt for better options.
The truth is that Dayo and Katsumoto decided to have a contrary opinion and seem to side for quota system in the other thread, because the OP mentioned BIAFRA.
Deal with it, you are just Dayo's azz licker.

Keep posting like a duffer!

I'm sure the unity schools exist in all the 36 states(including Northern states). Now imagine not admitting students from the North into unity schools in the South because they scored low in the exam - and the North retaliating by increasing the cut-off score for southerners to a score most of them can't get. And with that; you'll have southerners going to southern "unity schools" and northerners going to the northern ones. Don't you think that would defeat the purpose of the schools? Those schools are more of symbolic schools - not a do or die affair.

Stop thinking out of ya ar.se - and use your damn brain cells.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by mu2sa2: 12:01pm On Jun 09, 2013
This report is biased. The quota system is not just for hausa/fulani- it benefits everybody, north to south, east to west. Its aim is to avoid a situation where Unity Schools end up with students from just a section of the country, thus destroying the purpose of establishing the schools in the first place - bringing together children from all parts of the country to promote national unity.
The policy does benefit all- check out Bayelsa; and mark you North is not hausa/fulani only or entirely muslim.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by anonimi: 12:03pm On Jun 09, 2013
SLIDE waxie:
It's easy. So many presidents including jonathan shld av reversed dt.

I just remembered that our very brave soldier brother, General Olusegun Obasanjo (retd.) was president for 8 years (1999-2007) without any BH insurgency to deal with yet he did not did not think "it's easy" and/or did not think it was worthwhile to "av reversed it".

Nevertheless, we somehow expect the shoeless Joe that some of us have labelled as "clueless" among other labels to reverse it.
That's some sharp realistic reasoning, don't you think
Or maybe not so sharp and realistic reasoning after all!
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Nobody: 12:11pm On Jun 09, 2013
IGBO-SON:
If Nigeria -at the very least- is not restructured so everyone can progress at their own pace and be in control of their own destiny, we will still be talking of potential-potential, murders, corruption, and all what not, even ten years from today.....and it would do us like film when even countries like Somalia pass us on the highway to economic prosperity, and we'll be open mouthed and look on in horror as they disappear in the distance and leave us trudging along at a snail pace in the jalopy that is 'one Nigeria'!

Nice ranting. Not long ago on this forum, I said Ironsi laid the foundation of mediocrity in Nigeria by making Nigeria a unitary state. I was abused by some Igbo here and one of them asked why subsequent administrations did not revert the system back to what it was.
The question is; why would the beneficiaries of Ironsi's action want to change anything. If you are playing a game in which your opponent score an own goal, giving you an advantage,would you ask the referee to revert the score to where it was.
This is why the south is clamoring for restructuring and the north is resistant.

5 Likes

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by collynzo2(m): 12:12pm On Jun 09, 2013
saintneo: I hope this is from the archives, I find it difficult to believe that NYTIMES had a live website in 1988 prior to creation of the internet.
When was the internet created? That article was in 1998 not '88
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jun 09, 2013
ShyM-X:
After reading what Katsumoto and DK posted on another thread about the same topic - I understand why the quota system is necessary in such schools. If the concept of "Unity Schools" was to unify the country by getting kids from different parts of country to attend the same schools - I honestly don't think there's anything wrong in applying quota system a la affirmative action for parts of the Nigeria that are educationally backwards. If you don't apply that; then it defeats the reason why those schools were created in the first place.

There's a similar policy in the UK and America for kids from inner cities. Since most of you believe in Nigeria; you need to stop moaning about everything and help the other side get to your level. That's the spirit of one country and being your brother's keeper.
An aboki speaking....
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by dallyemmy: 12:15pm On Jun 09, 2013
I think quota system is the same thing as federal character. The question is how can we encourage merit despite this bottleneck?
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Abali1(m): 12:22pm On Jun 09, 2013
ShyM-X:

I'm sure the unity schools exist in all the 36 states(including Northern states). Now imagine not admitting students from the North into unity schools in the South because they scored low in the exam - and the North retaliating by increasing the cut-off score for southerners to a score most of them can't get. And with that; you'll have southerners going to southern "unity schools" and northerners going to the northern ones. Don't you think that would defeat the purpose of the schools? Those schools are more of symbolic schools - not a do or die affair.

Man, you are not making any sense.
No wonder a wise man once said that "A illiterate is far better to a half-educated".
Please am done with you, because the more I reply you the more your stupidityy shines forth.

1 Like

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by ACM10: 12:27pm On Jun 09, 2013
Aigbofa:

Nice ranting. Not long ago on this forum, I said Ironsi laid the foundation of mediocrity in Nigeria by making Nigeria a unitary state. I was abused by some Igbo here and one of them asked why subsequent administrations did not revert the system back to what it was.
The question is; why would the beneficiaries of Ironsi's action want to change anything. If you are playing a game in which your opponent score an own goal, giving you an advantage,would you ask the referee to revert the score to where it was.
This is why the south is clamoring for restructuring and the north is resistant.

Stop reasoning like a goat by making unnecessary correlations. Unitary schools were established in 1979 by Obasanjo's administration. It is part of the dumb policies of men in khaki. Gen. Ironsi has nothing to do with it. I'm surprised that those in favour of true federalism which allows regions to develop at its own pace will pitch their tent with the backward policies of quota system. If this is not hypocrisy, then hypocrisy has lost its true meaning.

ShyM-X:

Deal with it.

Between Jonathan and Obasanjo, who is dumber? Jonathan is well educated(by Nigerian standard), Obsanjo is poorly educated(by any standard). What makes Jonathan dumber than those that came before him?
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Abali1(m): 12:34pm On Jun 09, 2013
mu2sa2: This report is biased. The quota system is not just for hausa/fulani- it benefits everybody, north to south, east to west. Its aim is to avoid a situation where Unity Schools end up with students from just a section of the country, thus destroying the purpose of establishing the schools in the first place - bringing together children from all parts of the country to promote national unity.
The policy does benefit all- check out Bayelsa; and mark you North is not only hausa/fulani.
How is the report biased?
If you want to bring children from all over the country to attend the same school, why not simply do a random sampling, and pick the children randomly?
Why put up a cut off point in the first place? By putting a cut off point you are inadvertently telling the children that you are interested in Merit. But the Nigerian Quota system defeats Meritocracy.
Take for instance, Abdullahi, Emeka, Kehinde and Ekaite grew up together in the same neighbourhood. The children attended the same Nursery school, and proceeded to the same primary school. At the end they sat for the National Common Entrance and had scores ranging from 67, 104, 112, and 95 respectively.
All chose FGC Ikot-Ekpene as both first and second choice. Abdullahi and Ekaite weree given admission based on quota and Emeka and Kehinde were denied admission based on quota.
How does Emeka and Kehinde's parents explain to their children that it was because of quota that couldn't join their friends in FGC Ikot-Ekpene?

1 Like

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jun 09, 2013
Abali1:

Man, you are not making any sense.
No wonder a wise man once said that "A illiterate is far better to a half-educated".
Please am done with you, because the more I reply you the more your stupidityy shines forth.

I explained the concept behind the schools to you, yet you kept ranting like a git. It shows you're dumb beyond redemption and you definitely need a refund from wherever you got your education from because education without critical thinking is absolutely useless.

Let me leave you with this quote:

"Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking."
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Abali1(m): 12:37pm On Jun 09, 2013
ShyM-X:

I explained the concept behind the schools to you, yet you kept ranting like a git. It shows you're dumb beyond redemption and you definitely need a refund from wherever you got your education from because education without critical thinking is absolutely useless.

Let me leave you with this quote:

"Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking."
Read my last post and explain again.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jun 09, 2013
ACM10:
Between Jonathan and Obasanjo, who is dumber? Jonathan is well educated(by Nigerian standard), Obsanjo is poorly educated(by any standard). What makes Jonathan dumber than those that came before him?

None of them deserve to rule the country. And they were both selected using the same quota system. The same goes for quota/zoning system used in selecting Senate President, Speaker of the House, and Ministers.

So if you lot don't have a problem with that; why do you have a problem with this one?
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by unclenna(m): 12:41pm On Jun 09, 2013
SouthEast: Ethnic Quota For Nigerians Is Challenged
By JAMES BROOKE, Special to the New York Times
Published: November 06, 1988
In Ibadan, the nation's largest city and one that is largely Yoruba, Dapo Ajayi, a high school principal, said the national quota system discourages southern students who see it as reverse discrimination.
http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/06/world/ethnic-quota-for-nigerians-is-challenged.html
did anyone read this. According to this report in1988 Ibadan was the largest city in Nigeria....
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jun 09, 2013
[quote author=ACM10]

Stop reasoning like a goat by making unnecessary correlations. Unitary schools were established in 1979 by Obasanjo's administration. It is part of the dumb policies of men in khaki. Gen. Ironsi has nothing to do with it. I'm surprised that those in favour of true federalism which allows regions to develop at its own pace will pitch their tent with the backward policies of quota system. If this is not hypocrisy, then hypocrisy has lost its true meaning.

I think you are the doofus who asked why the policy was not reversed.
Nigeria was not designed at Independence to deal with quota system or anything like that. Everything started from that great mistake by Ironsi. It changed everything. Obasanjo was an offshoot of Murtala administration. He even vowed to continue with Murtala's policies. You may argue until you turn green in the face, but the truth is the truth.

1 Like

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Abali1(m): 1:00pm On Jun 09, 2013
[quote author=Aigbofa][/quote]
Ok, you have a point.
But do you think (independently) that the quota system is a good idea? either in politics, schools or at the employment level?
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Nobody: 1:13pm On Jun 09, 2013
Abali1:
Ok, you have a point.
But do you think (independently) that the quota system is a good idea? either in politics, schools or at the employment level?

Absolutely not! People should be able to compete on a level playing field.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Ikengawo: 1:16pm On Jun 09, 2013
This article was written by white racists to complain about affirmative action assisting blacks low key.

1 Like

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Miles78(f): 1:44pm On Jun 09, 2013
I just see the after effects if quota system displayed in this thread. Just as a precautionary measure, I won't elaborate more on this issue. E-quota ambushed undecided kiss
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Abali1(m): 1:45pm On Jun 09, 2013
Aigbofa:

Absolutely not! People should be able to compete on a level playing field.
That is what am arguing here. Allow people to move at their own pace, if the North sees that others have moved on and the quota no longer favours them, then they have no choice but to sit up.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by mayberry: 1:52pm On Jun 09, 2013
Na wa o![color=#770077][/color]
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by zanga420: 2:03pm On Jun 09, 2013
IGBO-SON:
If Nigeria -at the very least- is not restructured so everyone can progress at their own pace and be in control of their own destiny, we will still be talking of potential-potential, murders, corruption, and all what not, even ten years from today.....and it would do us like film when even countries like Somalia pass us on the highway to economic prosperity, and we'll be open mouthed and look on in horror as they disappear in the distance and leave us trudging along at a snail pace in the jalopy that is 'one Nigeria'!
1000likes for this. The best post ever on this topic, instead of living in these present system n policies, lets restructure n allow people develop n grow in what they love. If the North cherish n love nomadic education n craft/trade, let them be n flourish with it. If the south love technology n science rocket pattern of education let them be. Let all regions develop at their pace in what's good they love. We then allow these regions autonomy on their chosen pattern, less power at the centre to manipulate others. Then u'll see the best of this country. The masses if we desire peace n progress we must desire this. If not the present anarchy n underdevelopment 'll continue. God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Nobody: 2:43pm On Jun 09, 2013
ShyM-X:

What's the correlation between your rant(in ugly font) and the topic in discourse? And how come you always post like an illiterate? You went from not being able to spell "lying" to using "lameduck" in the wrong context - you definitely need to go back to wherever you got your education; and ask for a refund. I initially thought you were a decent poster; but you're more of an uneducated political jobber with blinkered brain cells - get a life!!

Pheeeeeeew....and you made it so obvious what an aboki political jobber you are!!! Put some class & style to it abeg
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by ABAKA72(m): 2:48pm On Jun 09, 2013
ShyM-X:

Shut up mr man, it is nobody's fault that your people are producing nit-wit childred.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by ABAKA72(m): 2:51pm On Jun 09, 2013
Pyrrho:
An aboki speaking....
as usual Lol.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Birmingham(m): 3:12pm On Jun 09, 2013
How I wish I can turn the hands of time. I wouldn't have buttressed to join the UNidentical regions in the name of Colonization/Amalgamation. I really anticipate and dream of Late Dim Chukwuemeka Ojukwu's vision.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Amaechi Lied, Jonathan Actually Did Something For Rivers People / Beyond #ArmsProbe: The Need To Probe The Entire Defence Budget / Security Beefed Up In Rivers As INEC Collates Election Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.