Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,579 members, 7,812,893 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:27 PM

A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System (10699 Views)

# Merit Not Quota By Ben Murray- Bruce: The ills of Nigeria Quota- System / Deadly Bombings Reported In Nigerian City Where Boko Haram Was Founded- NY Times / The Senator Hiding The Wanted Boko Haram Commander. (Premium Times Report) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by SouthEast: 6:54pm On Jun 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

It has everything to do with the topic. Have you Southerners not dominated (colonized) the Northerners enough as well with education? You already contribute more than 75% of pupils to the unity schools. Do you need for it to be 100%? Similar to how Westerners have colonized you economically and don't need to finish you off. In both cases, there is a safety net. The Europeans can invade you at any point in time and there isn't Bleep all you can do about it. Your response was a poor one.
And the North dominated the south with ruling the country and being in charge of the military, police and the civil service. Yes or no? What safety net did they give in those cases?

1 Like

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Katsumoto: 6:55pm On Jun 09, 2013
asha 80: explain how?

If the Yoruba kids compete with the hausa kids using state of residence and there is no quota, using your analogy would all the Yoruba kids not get in ahead of the Hausa kids even if they are in Kano?
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by confusion247(m): 7:04pm On Jun 09, 2013
I wonder why people always complain when One Nigeria is been displayed at it's best. Everybody should blame all those who supported One Nigeria.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by oiseworld: 7:17pm On Jun 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

It has everything to do with the topic. Have you Southerners not dominated (colonized) the Northerners enough as well with education? You already contribute more than 75% of pupils to the unity schools. Do you need for it to be 100%? Similar to how Westerners have colonized you economically and don't need to finish you off. In both cases, there is a safety net. The Europeans can invade you at any point in time and there isn't Bleep all you can do about it. Your response was a poor one.

I need not finish reading your question before concluding its out of place. What does military might have to do with quota system within different nations. I'll expect you to ask if

NOI got to the world bank through pity.
If Wole soyinka became a noble prize by federal character.
If Obama became the US president on pity or competence. etc

If you claim the southerners have dominated the federal schools to more than 75% and the private schools to over 90%, then why isn't it translated in the federal govt? Where the reverse is the case. The North are holding swey to govt establishment to over 80% while the rest of the south share the remaining 20%. How come?

Where did they come from?

1 Like

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by true2god: 7:22pm On Jun 09, 2013
ShyM-X:
After reading what Katsumoto and DK posted on another thread about the same topic - I understand why the quota system is necessary in such schools. If the concept of "Unity Schools" was to unify the country by getting kids from different parts of country to attend the same schools - I honestly don't think there's anything wrong in applying quota system a la affirmative action for parts of the Nigeria that are educationally backwards. If you don't apply that; then it defeats the reason why those schools were created in the first place.

There's a similar policy in the UK and America for kids from inner cities. Since most of you believe in Nigeria; you need to stop moaning about everything and help the other side get to your level. That's the spirit of one country and being your brother's keeper.
Hope u r ok. Whose broda r u keeping? A broda dat neva wanted to grow? A broda dat neva wanted to learn? A broda dat is willing to destroy in order to stop western eduaction? A broda that is ready to unleash terror at the slightest provocation?

Ok, hw long do u xpect me to 'keep' ur broda? Till eternity?

In the next 100yrs the north will neva catch will the way and manner their leaders are handling the issue of education. My only pain is that they r draggin the entire country backward with this nonsense 'quota' system.

Only God will deliver the south from this proverbial 'cross' the south is currently carrying.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by SouthEast: 7:24pm On Jun 09, 2013
I am wondering if EL RUFAI and Ribadu got to where they are today by this same quota system.
I am wondering if Chinua Achebe became the most celebrated African Writer by quota system
I am wondering if Soyinka got the Nobel Prize by quota system
I am wondering if Ngozi Okonjo Iweala became the Second in Charge at the WB by quota system.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by confusion247(m): 7:43pm On Jun 09, 2013
Revolva: This country called Nigeria..is just a total fiasco....so much discrimination and tribalism.. and it wont and never allow us to grow....
One Nigeria is a project that will never work, grow or progress. Those supporting one Nigeria are those to be blamed
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by asha80(m): 8:23pm On Jun 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

If the Yoruba kids compete with the hausa kids using state of residence and there is no quota, using your analogy would all the Yoruba kids not get in ahead of the Hausa kids even if they are in Kano?
what stops a kano hausa kid from assimilating what is being taught to a kano yoruba kid if they are being taught in the same class,same teacher,same school and the same locality?i hope you are not infering that the kano hausa kid is naturally slow in learning?
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Katsumoto: 8:44pm On Jun 09, 2013
asha 80: what stops a kano hausa kid from assimilating what is being taught to a kano yoruba kid if they are being taught in the same class,same teacher,same school and the same locality?i hope you are not infering that the kano hausa kid is naturally slow in learning?

I am not inferring anything. You made the analogy; dont make it mine.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 09, 2013
Hey, I try, I really try to respect everyone's perspective of issues but this quota system, federal character crap POV is highly jaundiced.

Merit! We would be way ahead if we were a people that respect merits. Why does it always have to be paddy-paddy, square pegs in round holes, man-know-man? Why?

This is the major reason aside from his mediocrity why I am mad at Goodluck Jonathan. We need a goddamn sovereign conference in this country!

Obasanjo being a traitor (my forefathers forgive me for abusing an elderly man) that he is, had the opportunity to set this country right, but no he didn't. And some Danjuma would come tomorrow to ask me to be grateful to Obasanjo. Grateful my black arze!

And Kats, this is the 3rd time(?) I'm bringing it to your notice that the quota system goes beyond the unity schools. Same thing happens with the catchment area thing in the universities; Federal character in civil service recruitment and appointments.

We can't all be equal, but fairness can make us one.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Katsumoto: 8:47pm On Jun 09, 2013
oiseworld:

I need not finish reading your question before concluding its out of place. What does military might have to do with quota system within different nations. I'll expect you to ask if

NOI got to the world bank through pity.
If Wole soyinka became a noble prize by federal character.
If Obama became the US president on pity or competence. etc

If you claim the southerners have dominated the federal schools to more than 75% and the private schools to over 90%, then why isn't it translated in the federal govt? Where the reverse is the case. The North are holding swey to govt establishment to over 80% while the rest of the south share the remaining 20%. How come?

Where did they come from?

You chaps ignore the main debate and focus on other things that may or may not be tangential to the debate.

My point is about unity schools; i have not attempted to introduce a cause and effect explanation. Neither have i added to the quota debate.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Katsumoto: 8:50pm On Jun 09, 2013
olu_kenzo :
Hey, I try, I really try to respect everyone's perspective of issues but this quota system, federal character crap POV is highly jaundiced.

Merit! We would be way ahead if we were a people that respect merits. Why does it always have to be paddy-paddy, square pegs in round holes, man-know-man? Why?

This is the major reason aside from his mediocrity why I am mad at Goodluck Jonathan. We need a goddamn sovereign conference in this country!

Obasanjo being a traitor (my forefathers forgive me for abusing an elderly man) that he is, had the opportunity to set this country right, but no he didn't. And some Danjuma would come tomorrow to ask me to be grateful to Obasanjo. Grateful my black arze!

And Kats, this is the 3rd time(?) I'm bringing it to your notice that the quota system goes beyond the unity schools. Same thing happens with the catchment area thing in the universities; Federal character in civil service recruitment and appointments.

We can't all be equal, but fairness can make us one.

Nigeria needs to be renogiated.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by asha80(m): 9:02pm On Jun 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

I am not inferring anything. You made the analogy; dont make it mine.
forget what u feel what i was infering...answer what i asked before that inferal statement i made.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by SouthEast: 9:05pm On Jun 09, 2013
asha 80: forget what u feel what i was infering...answer what i asked before that inferal statement i made.

Why are you waiting for him to answer you? Bringing in quota system to help uplift the educational status of northern Nigeria, whose leaders have ruled for more than 60% of the time, simply means that northern Nigerians are lesser endowed academically. How else can you explain that? They cannot be said to have been marginalized as they have been the leaders of the country most of the time, doling out money as they wished.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Nobody: 9:06pm On Jun 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

Nigeria needs to be renogiated.

Touché.

And I don't mind if this leads to our parting of ways. I mean, It's long overdue, a high percentage of our people are unhappy with the present setup. Orisha bo ba le gbemi, semi bo se ba mi (If you can't add to me, don't take away from me).

Or at best we embrace regionalism. Let each region progress at it's own pace.

I feel sorry that some of our folks can't cope in school, but hey I hate(d) the site of blood too, thus no medical school for me. Reality.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Sunnybobo3(m): 9:18pm On Jun 09, 2013
And here are the cut off marks for 2013 by states of origin;

2013 National Common Entrance Examination Cut-Off Marks Released (State-by-State)

The Federal Ministry of Education has released the cut-off marks on State-by-State basis of the just concluded 2013 National Common Entrance Examination for admission processes into Federal Unity Colleges nation-wide.
Parents are advised to check the results of their wards which have been posted on notice board of all Unity Colleges throughout the Federation.
Pupils that scored above the cut-off marks based on their state of origin are eligible for admission on merit.

Abia - Male(130) Female(130)
Adamawa - Male(62) Female(62)
Akwa-Ibom - Male(123) Female(123)
Anambra - Male(139) Female(139)
Bauchi - Male(35) Female(35)
Bayelsa - Male(72) Female(72)
Benue - Male(111) Female(111)
Borno - Male(45) Female(45)
Cross-Rivers - Male(97) Female(97)
Delta - Male(131) Female(131)
Ebonyi - Male(112) Female(112)
Edo - Male(127) Female(127)
Ekiti - Male(119) Female(119)
Enugu - Male(134) Female(134)
Gombe - Male(58) Female(58)
Imo - Male(138) Female(138)
Jigawa - Male(44) Female(44)
Kaduna - Male(91) Female (91)
Kano - Male(67) Female(67)
Kastina - Male(60) Female(60)
Kebbi - Male(9) Female(20)
Kogi - Male(119) Female(119)
Kwara - Male(123) Female(123)
Lagos - Male(133) Female(133)
Nassarawa - Male(58) Female(58)
Niger - Male(93) Female(93)
Ogun - Male(131) Female(131)
Ondo - Male(126) Female(126)
Osun - Male(127) Female(127)
Oyo - Male(127) Female(127)
Plateau - Male(97) Female(97)
Rivers - Male(118) Female(118)
Sokoto - Male(9) Female(13)
Taraba - Male(3) Female(11)
Yobe - Male(2) Female(27)
Zamfara - Male(4) Female(2)
FCT Abuja - Male(90) Female(90)

https://www.nairaland.com/1318269/2013-national-common-entrance-examination
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Katsumoto: 10:10pm On Jun 09, 2013
asha 80: forget what u feel what i was infering...answer what i asked before that inferal statement i made.

We seem to be going round in circles; please ask a direct question.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by asha80(m): 10:28pm On Jun 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

you said the above and replied below
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by asha80(m): 10:30pm On Jun 09, 2013
asha 80: what stops a kano hausa kid from assimilating what is being taught to a kano yoruba kid if they are being taught in the same class,same teacher,same school and the same locality?i hope you are not infering that the kano hausa kid is naturally slow in learning?

1 Like

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Katsumoto: 10:36pm On Jun 09, 2013
asha 80: you said the above and replied below

And I was responding to your quote below. So I don't get the point you are trying to make. If you are asking me why the Hausa kid is not as receptive to classroom learning as the Yoruba kid, then that is a different debate. My point remains - UNITY schools were created for a reason.

asha 80: i hope u know some of these southerners grew up in the same enviroment with the northerners you are talking about...same nursery and primary in places like kano,kaduna, sokoto etc.why isnt state residence instead of origin used here?the youruba kid and hausa kid went to the same nursery and primary school but their cut off marks is miles apart?
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by asha80(m): 10:37pm On Jun 09, 2013
forget the'i hope you are not infering that the kano hausa kid is slow in learning' i wrote there.just answer the quote.remember we came a statement i earlier made countering you that some of the southerners grew up in the north with the northerners in nursery and primary but different cut off is used with state of origin and not state of residence used.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by asha80(m): 10:45pm On Jun 09, 2013
Katsumoto:

And I was responding to your quote below. So I don't get the point you are trying to make. If you are asking me why the Hausa kid is not as receptive to classroom learning as the Yoruba kid, then that is a different debate. My point remains - UNITY schools were created for a reason.

and i say that reason has been defeated.anyway since the so called unity schools are almost dead nothing to worry about.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Katsumoto: 11:09pm On Jun 09, 2013
asha 80: and i say that reason has been defeated.anyway since the so called unity schools are almost dead nothing to worry about.

I will agree with that. But the influence Unity schools have had on its students should not be under-emphasized. The schools like most things in Nigeria are dying.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Kenny4lyfe(m): 3:15am On Jun 10, 2013
SouthEast: Ethnic Quota For Nigerians Is Challenged
By JAMES BROOKE, Special to the New York Times
Published: November 06, 1988

At the age of 11, Adeyinka Badejo is learning the hard way about affirmative action, Nigerian style.

The daughter of an eminent political science professor here, Miss Badejo hoped last month to win admission to a Nigerian Unity School - a Government-financed prep school for top universities here and abroad.

To Miss Badejo's dismay, she discovered that several of her sixth-grade classmates scored lower than she did on a national test, but that they won admission to the prestigious boarding school system. In this West African nation where virtually everyone is of the same race, the difference is ''state of origin'' - often a code phrase in Nigeria for tribe.

Miss Badejo scored 293 on a 400-point test - three points below the cutoff for girls from Ogun state, a southern state largely populated by members of the Yoruba tribe. If she had been born to parents from Kano state, the northern heartland of the Hausa and Fulani tribes, she would have sailed into a Unity School with a score as low as 151. 'Federal Character' Policy
Ads by Google

Miss Badejo's rejection was a result of Nigeria's policy of ''reflecting the federal character.'' Through nationally mandated quotas, this policy is intended to insure that Nigeria's disadvantaged tribal groups have equal access to higher education and to Government employment.

Femi Badejo, Adeyinka's father and a professor at the University of Lagos, decided to sue Nigeria's Minister of Education on the grounds that the Unity School's admission policy constitutes discrimination.

In Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation and one of its most diverse, the case has attracted attention comparable to lawsuits challenging affirmative action programs in the United States.

Late last month, Nigerian reporters packed the three wooden press benches in Court 19 of Lagos High Court as opposing lawyers in black robes and white wigs argued their positions.

During a recess, Mr. Badejo, clad in a yellow dashiki-style shirt favored by the Yoruba people, limited his comments to saying: ''There is no comparison between affirmative action in the United States and 'federal character' in Nigeria.''

For Nigeria's southerners, Mr. Badejo's case has become a minor cause celebre, and several southern educators and politicians have sharply attacked the 10-year-old quota system. 'Unjust Discrimination'

''I think it's unjust discrimination,'' Lateef Kayode Jakande, a former governor of Lagos State, told a Nigerian reporter. ''The way out is to encourage the underdeveloped ones to catch up, rather than to bring down the developed ones.''

In Ibadan, the nation's largest city and one that is largely Yoruba, Dapo Ajayi, a high school principal, said the national quota system discourages southern students who see it as reverse discrimination.

Support for the federal character policy comes from Nigeria's north. The northerners, most of them Muslim, long resisted Western-style education first introduced by Britain, the colonial power here until 1960. Nigerians on the Atlantic coast -Yoruba in the west and members of the Ibo tribe in the east - sent their children in large numbers to British colonial schools.

Today, almost 30 years after independence, a new generation of Nigerians bears the stamp of this colonial inheritance. In the test Miss Badejo took last September, the cutoff point was set by the score attained by the 500th-ranking boy or girl in each state.

Cutoff scores for students from states largely populated by the Ibo or the Yoruba ranged from 280 to 303. Cutoff scores for students from northern states with high Hausa and Fulani populations ranged from 151 to 252.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/06/world/ethnic-quota-for-nigerians-is-challenged.html
Dear God, this shi.t has been happening even before I was born! Chai! Here I am today 4 years after school sat with straight A's, no admission! Had to plan towards overseas admission in Plymouth Uni. and money no dey O! Which way Nigeria?
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by oluagness(m): 3:23am On Jun 10, 2013
mmm, south west nation now. Too bad
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by frodobee: 11:00am On Jun 10, 2013
First, it is a very bad policy causing retrogression.
Secondly, this is one policy where i have seen the house divide along 'north' and 'south' not Ibo, Hausa or Yoruba. Notice that no race was implied.
Thirdly, true federalism, reverting to regional govt., or Self-rule is the answer.
Lastly, those that argue against the above can now see reason why we shld join hands and work together to realize these goals.

1 Like

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by olabukola: 11:47am On Jun 10, 2013
Too bad my southern brothers are in support of this nonsense. Cutting your nose to spite at ur face.
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by seyenko(m): 3:35pm On Jun 10, 2013
SouthEast: Ethnic Quota For Nigerians Is Challenged
By JAMES BROOKE, Special to the New York Times
Published: November 06, 1988

At the age of 11, Adeyinka Badejo is learning the hard way about affirmative action, Nigerian style.

The daughter of an eminent political science professor here, Miss Badejo hoped last month to win admission to a Nigerian Unity School - a Government-financed prep school for top universities here and abroad.

To Miss Badejo's dismay, she discovered that several of her sixth-grade classmates scored lower than she did on a national test, but that they won admission to the prestigious boarding school system. In this West African nation where virtually everyone is of the same race, the difference is ''state of origin'' - often a code phrase in Nigeria for tribe.

Miss Badejo scored 293 on a 400-point test - three points below the cutoff for girls from Ogun state, a southern state largely populated by members of the Yoruba tribe. If she had been born to parents from Kano state, the northern heartland of the Hausa and Fulani tribes, she would have sailed into a Unity School with a score as low as 151. 'Federal Character' Policy
Ads by Google

Miss Badejo's rejection was a result of Nigeria's policy of ''reflecting the federal character.'' Through nationally mandated quotas, this policy is intended to insure that Nigeria's disadvantaged tribal groups have equal access to higher education and to Government employment.

Femi Badejo, Adeyinka's father and a professor at the University of Lagos, decided to sue Nigeria's Minister of Education on the grounds that the Unity School's admission policy constitutes discrimination.

In Nigeria, Africa's most populous nation and one of its most diverse, the case has attracted attention comparable to lawsuits challenging affirmative action programs in the United States.

Late last month, Nigerian reporters packed the three wooden press benches in Court 19 of Lagos High Court as opposing lawyers in black robes and white wigs argued their positions.

During a recess, Mr. Badejo, clad in a yellow dashiki-style shirt favored by the Yoruba people, limited his comments to saying: ''There is no comparison between affirmative action in the United States and 'federal character' in Nigeria.''

For Nigeria's southerners, Mr. Badejo's case has become a minor cause celebre, and several southern educators and politicians have sharply attacked the 10-year-old quota system. 'Unjust Discrimination'

''I think it's unjust discrimination,'' Lateef Kayode Jakande, a former governor of Lagos State, told a Nigerian reporter. ''The way out is to encourage the underdeveloped ones to catch up, rather than to bring down the developed ones.''

In Ibadan, the nation's largest city and one that is largely Yoruba, Dapo Ajayi, a high school principal, said the national quota system discourages southern students who see it as reverse discrimination.

Support for the federal character policy comes from Nigeria's north. The northerners, most of them Muslim, long resisted Western-style education first introduced by Britain, the colonial power here until 1960. Nigerians on the Atlantic coast -Yoruba in the west and members of the Ibo tribe in the east - sent their children in large numbers to British colonial schools.

Today, almost 30 years after independence, a new generation of Nigerians bears the stamp of this colonial inheritance. In the test Miss Badejo took last September, the cutoff point was set by the score attained by the 500th-ranking boy or girl in each state.

Cutoff scores for students from states largely populated by the Ibo or the Yoruba ranged from 280 to 303. Cutoff scores for students from northern states with high Hausa and Fulani populations ranged from 151 to 252.

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/11/06/world/ethnic-quota-for-nigerians-is-challenged.html

Meanwhile================,

2013 National Common Entrance Examination Cut-Off Marks Released (State-by-State)

The Federal Ministry of Education has released the cut-off marks on State-by-State basis of the just concluded 2013 National Common Entrance Examination for admission processes into Federal Unity Colleges nation-wide.
Parents are advised to check the results of their wards which have been posted on notice board of all Unity Colleges throughout the Federation.
Pupils that scored above the cut-off marks based on their state of origin are eligible for admission on merit.
Abia - Male(130) Female(130)
Adamawa - Male(62) Female(62)
Akwa-Ibom - Male(123) Female(123)
Anambra - Male(139) Female(139)
Bauchi - Male(35) Female(35)
Bayelsa - Male(72) Female(72)
Benue - Male(111) Female(111)
Borno - Male(45) Female(45)
Cross-Rivers - Male(97) Female(97)
Delta - Male(131) Female(131)
Ebonyi - Male(112) Female(112)
Edo - Male(127) Female(127)
Ekiti - Male(119) Female(119)
Enugu - Male(134) Female(134)
Gombe - Male(58) Female(58)
Imo - Male(138) Female(138)
Jigawa - Male(44) Female(44)
Kaduna - Male(91) Female (91)
Kano - Male(67) Female(67)
Kastina - Male(60) Female(60)
Kebbi - Male(9) Female(20)
Kogi - Male(119) Female(119)
Kwara - Male(123) Female(123)
Lagos - Male(133) Female(133)
Nassarawa - Male(58) Female(58)
Niger - Male(93) Female(93)
Ogun - Male(131) Female(131)
Ondo - Male(126) Female(126)
Osun - Male(127) Female(127)
Oyo - Male(127) Female(127)
Plateau - Male(97) Female(97)
Rivers - Male(118) Female(118)
Sokoto - Male(9) Female(13)
Taraba - Male(3) Female(11)
Yobe - Male(2) Female(27)
Zamfara - Male(4) Female(2)
FCT Abuja - Male(90) Female(90)

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/77394-2013-national-common-entrance-examination-cut-off-marks-released-state-state.html

This is false, how can you tell me that these are correct: Zamfara - Male(4) Female(2),Taraba - Male(3) Female(11)
Yobe - Male(2) Female(27)etc?
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by tuniski: 8:04pm On Jun 10, 2013
Those who introduced quota system, federal character , rotation and all manners of "safety nets" according Katsomotu never which Nigeria well or better still couldn't see beyond their noses! After decades of these backward policies, have the gaps been bridged? Rather it has slowed those very ones the policy intended to help through the window! and if not for the western powers attempt @ keeping others down by maintaining market for their weaponry, no nation wont produce weapons to protect itself!

1 Like

Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by Kenny4lyfe(m): 7:32am On Jun 11, 2013
tuniski: Those who introduced quota system, federal character , rotation and all manners of "safety nets" according Katsomotu never which Nigeria well or better still couldn't see beyond their noses! After decades of these backward policies, have the gaps been bridged? Rather it has slowed those very ones the policy intended to help through the window! and if not for the western powers attempt @ keeping others down by maintaining market for their weaponry, no nation wont produce weapons to protect itself!
My brother THIS ALONE CALLS FOR A MASS PROTEST imagine the damages this policy-made-from-hell has cost our unity as a nation! It has simply stagnated our development! I've got an open letter ready but I needed help on which newspaper to send it to! O God where art thou?
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by otondo55: 11:20am On Jun 11, 2013
....and the scam called Nigeria still exist !
where progress is never encouraged...God bless The land of the raising Sun !
Re: A 1988 NY Times Report On Nigeria's Quota System by sam90s(m): 8:28pm On Jun 15, 2013
noblezone:

The eagles are forced to fly so low, so that chickens can catch up.
No wonder Nigeria is like 1302 instead of 2013.

And this is what Tinubu and his co-travellers that have decided to coalesce into the Arewa Peoples' Congress, APC are implicitly trying to do by getting Buhari or some other hausa-fulani to rule us again as president supported by some lameduck southern VP.

We should be wiser!!!

Guess what? That policy was adopted under Obasanjo's 1st reign, perhaps to prove his nationalist creds. Awful policy nonetheless!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

NAFDAC In Rotting State, Petitioners Say, Alleging Fraud And Waste / Military Employs Fishermen, Farmers To Search For Missing Dapchi Schoolgirls / Boko Haram Insurgents Kill Seven, Burn Three Villages In Borno

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.