Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,611 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:08 PM

Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria (4346 Views)

Lai Mohammed Visits IDP Camp, Sees Horrific Conditions People Stay In (PICS) / How I Will Spend My Four- Day Stay In America – Buhari / Safest Cities/states To Stay In Nigeria During The Coming Elections. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 9:47am On May 05, 2008
Farmers who moved to Nigeria after being kicked off their farms by President Robert Mugabe say they won't return to the land they love even if Mugabe fails to emerge victorious in the disputed March 29 election.
By Sarah Simpson | Correspondent of The Christian Science Monitor
from the May 2, 2008 edition

[flash=200,200]http://www.csmonitor.com/slideshows/2008/zim_farmer/[/flash]

Shonga, Nigeria - A jet carrying a herd of Jersey cows touches down at an airstrip in the Nigerian countryside, transporting dairy cows from South Africa.

Their new owners, a small group of white farmers from Zimbabwe, watch as the herd clip-clops down the gangplank. The farmers casually contemplate flying back to homes they lost to President Robert Mugabe's supporters. But whatever the outcome of Zimbabwe's disputed presidential poll, they are not likely to be returning to the land they love soon.

"My heart would want to go back, but my brain would say no," says Susan Mactavish, who's spent her whole life in Africa and now lives on a 1,000-hectare (2,471-acre) farm in Nigeria's west-central Kwara State. "I've put too much into this place to abandon it."

Zimbabwean farmer John Sawyer says he would look closely at the Zimbabwean economy before reinvesting in farming there. Zimbabwe's infrastructure and services have decayed as Africa's breadbasket has turned basket case with hyper-inflation of 165,000 percent and 80 percent unemployment. The seized farms have largely failed, and nearly half of Zimbabweans are malnourished.

"If we go back to Zimbabwe tomorrow, then it's like when we arrived here. We'd have to start all over again," says Mr. Sawyer, who wears the khaki sun hat and shorts that are almost a uniform for the white farmers. He goes barefoot, even when working in the fields.

While the Zimbabwean government evicted most of the 4,000 white farmers without compensation (some 130 were chased off in the past month), the Nigerian government has spent millions of dollars to woo these farmers here. In southern Africa, English and Dutch settlers tilled large farms for hundreds of years, causing friction with local groups over ownership of the land. But Nigeria's history is different: English colonialists never tried to own land and race relations have never been politicized.

For the Zimbabwean farmers it's a commercial opportunity and personal challenge. For the Nigerian government, it's a chance to tap into years of expertise and kick-start commercial farming operations in a country of 140 million where farming has long been neglected.

Until the group of 13 arrived in Nigeria, the land they now farm was, they say, "bush." There were a few scattered subsistence farms, no electricity, and no mobile phone coverage. But the nearby Niger River promised unlimited water once bore holes and irrigation systems were in place.

Three years later, Nigerian farmers have been moved to alternative land, with compensation from the government. Boreholes have been drilled, some 13,000 hectares of land cleared, mobile phone coverage is in place, and each farm has a house with Internet access, satellite TV, pretty gardens, pet dogs, and swimming pools.

Though the farms have yet to turn a profit, the farmers are optimistic about their investment. "My projected wealth is more here [in Nigeria], than what I left behind," explains Irvine Reid, who moved here with his wife, Gayle, and son, Callum, though their two older daughters are in South Africa. "If everything goes to plan," he adds.

The enthusiasm from Nigerian authorities is in sharp contrast to the government-sponsored violence that forced the farmers out of Zimbabwe. The Reid family was repeatedly visited by large mobs performing protest dances until one day they visited when Mrs. Reid was home alone.

"I was sat down and told that if we were not off the farm by the following Monday, they would come back and chop off his head," she says, pointing to her husband. Their farm is now owned by a general in the Zimbabwean Army and commercial farming has all but ceased, say the Reids.

Despite the farmers' welcome in Nigeria, their time here has not been without problem. The newcomers were promised that their land would be connected to the national power grid with guaranteed 24-hour power and irrigation to the farms. None of that has happened.

"It's frustrating," says Sawyer, of his new life in Nigeria. "Everywhere there is a lack of regard to time. And in farming that's a major problem. Crops won't grow if they're not in the ground on time," he says in between shouting instructions into his walkie-talkie. "If it hadn't been for people not understanding the timing factor, we should have been further down the road now."

Nigerian banks, which have provided the bulk of the investment through loans underwritten by the Kwara State government, have been slow, too. "Banks here don't understand agriculture," says Sawyer.

Nigerian banks have little experience of lending to commercial farmers. Though agriculture accounts for about one quarter of Nigeria's gross domestic product, that production comes from small-scale and subsistence farmers. Since crude oil exports took over as the bulwark of the economy in the 1960s, food production has steadily declined.

To date, the Zimbabwean farmers say, the maize and soya yields have been disappointing. "It's just too hot," says Reid. In Zimbabwe, Reid could expect at least eight tonnes of yield per hectare, compared with just four tonnes in Nigeria.

"And in Zimbabwe, the inputs [such as fertilizer and seeds] were cheaper," says Reid. Like most of the other farmers, Reid has decided there's more money to be made from dairy or poultry farming, but that's required more expensive investment in milking and slaughtering facilities.

Back on the airport tarmac of Kwara State's main airport at Ilorin, crowds watch the first batch of some 690 cows imported at a cost of about $3,000 per head. Despite the expense, Nigerian officials are optimistic that large-scale investment will bring large-scale returns.

"The government realized that agriculture could grow our economy, but that to do this there must be a shift from just peasant farming," says The Great Prophet Gana-Yisa, Kwara State commissioner for agriculture and natural resources.

"At the time the government was conceptualizing moving into commercial agriculture, there was this land use problem with Zimbabwean white farmers," says Mr. Gana-Yisa. "So the government took advantage of that situation."
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by SkyBlue1: 9:51am On May 05, 2008
Whatever they choose to do, i hope there would be transfer of their knowledge and skills to Nigerian youths.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by subice(m): 12:19pm On May 05, 2008
I just wish our government would show more interest and urgency in dealing with the agricultural sector. Here we have people with expertise and experience. They should me doing more to tap into such experience. We have enough resources to produce almost all our food needs! These things are not as hard as the government likes to make out, it just needs people at the top with a sense of vision, integrity, awareness and commitment to start and keep the process going.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by landis(m): 1:15pm On May 05, 2008
Whatever they choose to do, i hope there would be transfer of their knowledge and skills to Nigerian youths.

this is day-dreaming.

after about 100yrs in Zim, no knowledged was transfered.

their aim is not transfer knowledged but make a living.

if thats your govt aim, we have enough agric schools but what was done?
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by texazzpete(m): 1:22pm On May 05, 2008
landis:

this is day-dreaming.

after about 100yrs in Zim, no knowledged was transfered.

their aim is not transfer knowledged but make a living.

if thats your govt aim, we have enough agric schools but what was done?

Do you have to get a certificate before you have gained knowledge? Most of their workers will be Nigerians, just as they had Zimbabwean workers. It's no one's fault if the same workers refuse to apply the knowledge gleaned into commercial farming.

it's an attitude thing, i suspect.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by landis(m): 1:31pm On May 05, 2008
Do you have to get a certificate before you have gained knowledge? Most of their workers will be Nigerians, just as they had Zimbabwean workers. It's no one's fault if the same workers refuse to apply the knowledge gleaned into commercial farming.

it's an attitude thing, i suspect.

It has to be concerted effort by govt. EU govt delibartely subside their famers.

If Kwara govt can 'underwrite' the huge loan for these ex-Zim farmers, they can also plan what is to be achieved.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by SkyBlue1: 2:05pm On May 05, 2008
@landis, exactly what are the obstacles to a transfer of knowledge and skills in this case? What on earth makes it seem not plausible? The basic thing that needs to be done is the employment of Nigerian youths and placing them in key positions where they can learn not only the technical aspect of things but also the managerial aspects. So what is so impossible and difficult about that? Do you know wether the people running the farms in zimbabwe now are the people that were under the previous employment of these farmers as opposed to the reports of sharing of farms among mugabe's party croonies? So does that really then make for reasonable comparison?
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by landis(m): 4:42pm On May 05, 2008
exactly what are the obstacles to a transfer of knowledge and skills in this case? What on earth makes it seem not plausible?

here is your anwser:
Three years later, Nigerian farmers have been moved to alternative land, with compensation from the government,. Boreholes have been drilled, some 13,000 hectares of land cleared, mobile phone coverage is in place, and each farm has a house with Internet access, satellite TV, pretty gardens, pet dogs, and swimming pools.

these ex-ZIM farmers are not in Nigeria to train some Nigeria farmers how to farm. They are simply here for their existence at the expense of not well thought through idea of Kwara Govt.

If Kwara state is serious after 5yrs, all the employees of these ex-farmer should be given exactly same infrastructure to start their own plans.

is there any where this was mentioned by Kwara govt? No.

1000yrs after, the local farmers would still be using same old method since they have now competitor who will rather transfer knowledged to their children.

Since 1969 we have IITA, but did Nigeria govt make use of their training to translate to increase farming and improved yield? NO
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by SkyBlue1: 4:51pm On May 05, 2008
I don't see where this is going because i asked you if it was difficult for skill transfer and you did not answer. If you are saying steps have not been put in place for this to happen then that is another matter. As you can read from my first post i said i hope there is skill transfer. Of course the ex Zim farmers are probably here to simply earn a living first. Does that mean we can't learn from them? So what are you arguing about? If you want to argue about government putting infrastructure and Nigerian farmers in place for this to occur then that is another thing. But to just argue about skill transfer as if it is rocket science, i just don't know. To correct those obstacles then government simply needs to put make sure this becomes an avenue to expand on the agric sector and make sure there is partnership with indeginous farmers and even better, graduates. Afterall are they going to fly in employees from another country?
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by landis(m): 5:08pm On May 05, 2008
I don't see where this is going because i asked you if it was difficult for skill transfer and you did not answer. If you are saying steps have not been put in place for this to happen then that is another matter. As you can read from my first post i said i hope there is skill transfer. Of course the ex Zim farmers are probably hear to simply earn a living first. Does that mean we can't learn from them? So what are you arguing about? If you want to argue about government putting infrastructure in place then that is another thing. But to just argue about skill transfer as if it is rocket science, i just don't know. To correct those obstacles then government simply needs to put make sure this becomes an avenue to expand on the agric sector. Afterall are they going to fly in employees from another country?

skill transfer is easy as ABC.

My point is/remains: skill transfer is not the GOAL of Kwara govt since they have not shown anything to support this.

Based on this, we should not waste our time HOPING skill transfer will somehow happen along the line.

You cant plant Rice and expect to harvest Banana.

Afterall are they going to fly in employees from another country?
You still missing the point:

Julius Berger has been in Nigeria for 'donkey years': how many smaller local construction companies have springed-up from them as result of having local employee? Zero.

Simple: It is not the goal of Nigeria government and not the goal of these 'transplanted industries'; they will simply kill any competitor!

Did anyone transfer skill to Cocoa Farmers during 'western region' when Awo build Cocoa House with Cocoa money? NO.

We need to have concerted effort and clear goal. It is not there in any of these administrations.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by SkyBlue1: 5:34pm On May 05, 2008
@landis. I agree that steps need to be taken and it would be a shame if this does not occur. Although Julius Berger is the biggest construction company in Nigeria you are wrong that they are the only ones or there are no other reliable ones. They are simply used more because they are seen as more reliable by the government due to the fact that they are foreign and the fear of government investing in local industries. However Research on all the construction going on in Lagos. I believe Fashola did patronised a significant ammount of local sectors for the construction and beautification projects going on in lagos at the monent.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:02pm On May 05, 2008
Why expect skill transfer to be suddenly the agenda of a government in Nigeria at this time?? I believe the people themselves should learn to educate themselves in this. How many people do you know who have worked on Obasanjo's farm that have actually gone out with the knowledge of what they have learnt to start and run their own farms?? The problem is mainly from the people not wanting to apply what they have learnt, if you ask me, and government can not force them to do what they are not willing to do.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by SkyBlue1: 6:09pm On May 05, 2008
@Kobojunkie, i genuinely understand where you are coming from but do you expect a graduate or whomever who has worked in a modern farm and been paid a salary to have enough money to go and start his own farm just like that on his own without capital? The simple truth is that government help is needed via different avenues like loans and financial subsidies, investment in the sector, policies which favour the indigenous agric sector, etc. Nigerians are not lazy so it is not about that. It is simply that things can be difficult in an already difficult country. The sad part is that the agric sector is a very fruitful (forgive the pun) and profitable sector if invested in. We should be feeding ourselves instead of importing everything even down to rice. How am i not sure we even import garri sef?
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by dangermous: 6:17pm On May 05, 2008
Why does an earlier poster assume there was no skills transfer in Zimbabwe?

I have a friend whose father was a recipient of one of the farms seized from white farmers in Bulawayo, and I can
tell you first hand, the knowledge is not the problem.

Understandably, I guess, many of the white farmers destroyed many
of the farming equipment on their way out.

So there is knowledge as well as the will but unfortunately no equipment to farm effectively.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:18pm On May 05, 2008
Sky Blue:

@Kobojunkie, i genuinely understand where you are coming from but do you expect a graduate or whomever who has worked in a modern farm and been paid a salary to have enough money to go and start his own farm just like that on his own without capital? The simple truth is that government help is needed via different avenues like loans and financial subsidies, investment in the sector, policies which favour the indigenous agric sector, etc. Nigerians are not lazy so it is not about that. It is simply that things can be difficult in an already difficult country. The sad part is that the agric sector is a very fruitful (forgive the pun) and profitable secotr if invested in. We should be feeding ourselves instead of importing everything even down to rice. How am i not sure we even import garri sef?

This is not about what I expect of this graduate, this is about graduates learning that they will not be handed these things on a platter of Gold and so they need to learn that they have to  do all they can to apply what they know.  People around the world do it daily. How many great company ideas have you gotten from your own relatives who live in Nigeria so far Anyone who lives in Nigeria and still at this point needs government help is needs help. Government barely helps in so many other ways that it ought to and someone expects Government to help in this  I am not sure lazy is the word to use but it is down that path actually. I believe we have folks with ideas who are too afraid to work on researching them and doing all they can to see it come to fruition. It is easier to join the 419 gang and make millions on seconds than it is to actually build, even with 419 money a functioning farm with skills you may have acquired from past farm work, it seems.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by SkyBlue1: 6:23pm On May 05, 2008
@Kobo, you are right that things can be done by people, and things are being done by individuals, Nigerians are not lazy. You see a girl hawking items on her head all day to support her family, is that laziness? The issue is a bit more than that. I do agree that people can be more proactive, its just that when you said farm i immediately thought of some huge industrial farm and how on earth some poor guy was going to build all that with no finances. But it doesn't have to be on that scale.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by redsun(m): 6:51pm On May 05, 2008
All the agricultural faculties and schools in nigeria,we still need white zimbabweans to teach us how to farm,what are they studying? and why is the goverment approving and accrediting these schools with out making use of them?

Local farmers just need a bit of support and innovations,i know of my place,cows roam every where like wild animals,even if they have owners,identified with marks,mostly killed for ceremonies like festivals and burials,no commercial intuitions,nobody takes care of them,a bit of organization and domestication will boost their number,safety and quality,just common fucking sense.I am already on cattle domestication and eventual cross breeding,small low capital invesments but fulfilling,some thing you can control.

Even goats,sheep are all waiting to be tapped.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by naijaway(m): 12:14am On May 06, 2008
this is called hopelessness, y can't they go to europe and do their oga status. This people should be really investigated and surveillance around them including all kinds of measures to ensure that their products is not in anyway purposely infected. The government should also watch how they support them by not signing nigerians future out, they should be subjected to random background checks until they become Nigerian citizens before their rights are adhered to. And lastly, the government should support competition amongst farmers including them. How many people can go through their situation and europe/ america will be lust like naijas are to these people; as if these couple of people can destroy the hunger in the whole of Nigeria. They should be allowed to come in but the right measures should be in place because it can also go very wrong because of watever reason and we are talking of food here which in my view is a national security priority.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 12:42am On May 06, 2008
naijaway:

this is called hopelessness, y can't they go to europe and do their oga status. This people should be really investigated and surveillance around them including all kinds of measures to ensure that their products is not in anyway purposely infected. The government should also watch how they support them by not signing nigerians future out, they should be subjected to random background checks until they become Nigerian citizens before their rights are adhered to. And lastly, the government should support competition amongst farmers including them.

How many people can go through their situation and europe/ america will be lust like naijas are to these people; as if these couple of people can destroy the hunger in the whole of Nigeria. They should be allowed to come in but the right measures should be in place because it can also go very wrong because of watever reason and we are talking of food here which in my view is a national security priority.

Food is national security priority?? Are you serious?? Up until now, what have we been doing ourselves about this national security priority?? Getting it from anywhere and anyplace we can?? Why is it suddenly NATIONAL SECURITY PRIORITY when farmers are being wooed to help build our local industry??>
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by zillaxy: 11:55am On May 06, 2008
this article annoyed me on so many levels. i had to stop about 3 times just to let my blood cool.
things like:
'with guaranteed 24-hour power and irrigation to the farms' just highlight the continued african inferiority complex that will forever cripple this continent.
has any Nigerian ever been guaranteed this?

why is the govt making so much of an effort for these people to succeed when in kogi state nearby where we have expert- have been doing it for generations- tomato farmers, not a single borehole has been sunk? they have to walk for miles to get the water for their farms but still have huge yields. no capital to buy huge industrial freezers means the crops are left to rot. a big basket of tomatoes goes for as little as N150 when in Abuja nearby u can buy 5 tomatoes for the same amount.

the govt has all but ignored the farmers in OUR COUNTRY while they have bent over backwards - and lets be honest here- for these men simply becoz they are white. if the black farmers from zim came today no one will jaa them face. they are getting credit from our banks- anyone ever try this and see how impossible it is?- which are underwritten by the kwara state govt??!!! GOD!

furthermore, coming from a large farming community i can say that the govt takes our farmers as jokes. fertilizers dont arrive until late may when the farming season starts in early april. why o why? why can the govt have initiatives to help nigerians succeed? y couldn't they even hire these 'experts' as consultants or field agents to teach our people skills?
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by Blatant: 1:21pm On May 06, 2008
Three years later, Nigerian farmers have been moved to alternative land, with compensation from the government. Boreholes have been drilled, some 13,000 hectares of land cleared, mobile phone coverage is in place, and each farm has a house with Internet access, satellite TV, pretty gardens, pet dogs, and swimming pools.

Pardon my ignorance here if I am ignorant.

Why did the Kwara Govt not deem it fit for Nigerian farmers to have thopse facilities?
Surely, these white farmers will soon run the local farmers out of business because they have been provided with so many facilities that are not available to local farmers
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by bawomolo(m): 2:43pm On May 06, 2008
Why did the Kwara Govt not deem it fit for Nigerian farmers to have thopse facilities?
Surely, these white farmers will soon run the local farmers out of business because they have been provided with so many facilities that are not available to local farmers

why can't nigerian farmers handle competition, trade protectionism doesn't make sense.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by zillaxy: 2:59pm On May 06, 2008
bawomolo:

why can't nigerian farmers handle competition, trade protectionism doesn't make sense.

clearly this is not a fair competition. poor nigerian farmers are moved and not supported while foreigners get everything they demand. how is that fair? how is that competition u expect them to fight off?

more like trade protectionism for the white farmers.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by landis(m): 5:33pm On May 06, 2008

indeed. go and read before posting.

EU/US is subsidizing their farms to about $20bil every year. and instead of Kwara Govt do same to their people, they rather do for ex-Zim farmers.

the fool and his money soon pathways!
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by Blatant: 5:35pm On May 06, 2008
bawomolo:

OMG
Nigerian farmers have been moved away to make room for the white farmers and you call that fair competition?

If the Nigerian farmers are given the same things given to the white farmers, then it becomes fair competition.

Do you know how much the British and American Governments subsidise their farmers?

is this colomentality or just inferiority complex and an ever-increasing willinghess to please white people even at the expense of our own people?
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:46pm On May 06, 2008
Suddenly, 13 Farmers from zimbabwe are now our problems cause they are white Chai!!! Some people are just full of nothing but horse manure.

We have had access to all that land for decades and done nothing with them. Infact, majority of the land have not been cultivated for decades. These men come in and make a deal with the government in KWARA to help grow food and we all suddenly want to make them the problem?? Suddenly we forget that we have always been able to cultivate our lands but have continually chosen not to do so for one reason or another.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by Uche2nna(m): 5:57pm On May 06, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Suddenly, 13 Farmers from zimbabwe are now our problems cause they are white Chai!!! Some people are just full of nothing but horse manure.

Lol @ horse manure

Anyway, I think the concerns and points aised by Blatant and co are genuine. U cant dismiss them as hogwash. Fact remains that there is some kind of governmental support given to these white farmers that was not extended to indigenous farmers. And that bothers me. It is just the same with other sectors. The NFA would hire a foreign coach and pay him loads of dollars but when an indigenous coach is hired , peanuts are offered. That sort of mentality kind of bothers me.

However, that is the reality as we see it. We just have to make the best out of a stupid situation. If all goes well , we would still have some advantages to go home with the presence of the 12 white farmers. Question is are we ready or would we be aggressive enuff to harness those advantages.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 6:09pm On May 06, 2008
Uche2nna:

Lol @ horse manure

Anyway, I think the concerns and points aised by Blatant and co are genuine. You can't dismiss them as hogwash. Fact remains that there is some kind of governmental support given to these white farmers that was not extended to indigenous farmers. And that bothers me. It is just the same with other sectors. The NFA would hire a foreign coach and pay him loads of dollars but when an indigenous coach is hired , peanuts are offered. That sort of mentality kind of bothers me.

However, that is the reality as we see it. We just have to make the best out of a stupid situation. If all goes well , we would still have some advantages to go home with the presence of the 12 white farmers. Question is are we ready or would we be aggressive enough to harness those advantages.

I see this hoopla as nothing but silly talk. Reason being, our farmers have had those lands for decades. Many of the land has gone untouched for over a decade. They sat waiting for government to do this and that for them. The governments of the past continued to dupe us and many of them did nothing about it. Suddenly we are in a crisis and we buy over some farmers to come in to do the work needed to help bring our agricultural sector back to life and all most of them are more concerned about is the color of their skin?? That is not genuine concern but the same old ramblings of our past that brought us exactly where we are today. If these farmers were black, I am sure you can safely say many of these in here would not be complaining. This is skin color issue for some and nothing more. They are not even concerned about the details of the deal or how government arrived at such a plan but more about the color of the skin of these 13 men. That, to me is stupidity and nothing more.

We ought to be more concerned about the deal between the Kwara state government and the farmers and what other farmers gain from this. Instead of rushing off with the same old hate and racism. The Chinese are already in there. Expect more foreigners cause that is the reality of the world we live in today. Well, have lived in for a while now but now, more than ever, we seeing that move more and more to our side.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by Tonim(f): 6:10pm On May 06, 2008
The Zimbabwean farmers have to teach their workers/apprentice on the management/technical areas of commercial
farming. They should not just have Nigerians work on their farms on a "do what you are told" basis.

This transfer of skills/knowledge is what we really need from the Zimbabweans.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by SkyBlue1: 6:21pm On May 06, 2008
@Kobo don't tell me you don't see the issue here. The issue or anger or whatever is not directed at the white farmers but directed at a government that seems to offer no support whatsoever to its own people and citizens but would bend over backwards for others. That is the issue and i am sorry but i find that a bit dissappoiting. The issue about race is not something you should direct at the people voicing their complain here but at a government who as you have stated had the lands with indeginous farmers for many years but did nothing to help to boost the sector unless you can provide information to the contrary. To be fair though i am assuming the Zimbabwean farmers would have more technical know how. But the point is the government offers no support whatsoever to its people and is anticitizens. Houses with even paid for satellite and so on an what did the Nigerian farmers get in government help? We live in a global world but governments in countries with sense still put the interest of their citizens first if not they get voted out. A point in case is the american law that stopped Richard Branson (a Briton) owning more than 25% of his own airline he wanted to expand in the United States. That is a country with sense. Taking care of the interest of its citizens and trying to create and generate wealth and prosperity for the indigenes. Does that in anyway sound like the government we have to you? That is probably why the whole BA hoopla might be so popular. It is no more about wether the guy was at fault even though it is clear that in his case the issue is with the police and not BA, just the fascination that the Nigerian government can seem to work for its people is a concept unheard off
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by Uche2nna(m): 6:21pm On May 06, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I see this hoopla as nothing but silly talk. Reason being, our farmers have had those lands for decades. Many of the land has gone untouched for over a decade. They sat waiting for government to do this and that for them.

Are U blaming the farmers for the lack of mechanisation of the Agric sector?  undecided  That jab should be aimed at the government.

And yeah, I have accepted that as the reality (but that does not mean it is the right mentality) and all I am concerned now is what good can come out of it. I see a whole lot of positives if we play our cards well.

U raised a pertinent question: What is the nature of the contract bw the government and these farmers? How is it going to help our Agric sector in the long run?

Tonim:

The Zimbabwean farmers have to teach their workers/apprentice on the management/technical areas of commercial
farming. They should not just have Nigerians work on their farms on a "do what you are told" basis.

This transfer of skills/knowledge is what we really need from the Zimbabweans.

Thats one "potential" positive right there.
Re: Why White Zimbabwean Farmers Plan To Stay In Nigeria by Uche2nna(m): 6:26pm On May 06, 2008
Kobojunkie:

If these farmers were black, I am sure you can safely say many of these in here would not be complaining. This is skin color issue for some and nothing more.

It is not about being black or white but about the double-standards played by a government and the irony is that the citizens are the victims.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Governor Amaechi In N500 Billion Wasteful Spree, Jerry Rawlings Identified As On / Tunde Fowler In Trouble With Fashola Over His Extravagant Lifestyle / Save Nigeria Group Invites All To A Town Hall Meeting Tomorrow-23rd Jan 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.