Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,330 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:49 PM

Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC (2669 Views)

Atiku Kicks Against Automatic Ticket For Buhari / 2015: PDP Considers Automatic Ticket For Jonathan / Governors To Obasanjo: No Automatic Ticket For Jonathan & Tukur Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by NeoXVI: 4:24pm On Jun 09, 2013
So I was discussing with a friend and he brought up this idea that I haven't heard anyone mention before. How about Gov Fashola as the presidential candidate for APC and GMB as the VP?

The more I think about it, the more sense it makes.

PDP will definitely field GEJ. He's lost the support of most of the north. He doesn't have any real foothold in the SW. He was voted in last time out of sympathy, and because most Nigerians don't trust GMB for whatever reason

Fashola will definitely sweep the entire SW. With GMB as vice, the North will be more APC than PDP going by the way they love the man. The big question though is will Buhari accept a vice-presidential position? He clearly has a trust deficit with the south. This hasn't changed. I voted for him last time, but frankly I have grown weary of him myself. His acceptance of a VP position will convey humility, national interest in place of personal ambition, and more people in the south will come to like him. In his first term, Fashola was clearly the best governor and his fame reverberates throughout Nigeria. So I envision that he will get about 25-35% of the votes in the SE and SS. Winning the SW and the North should make it an easy coast for that ticket.

GEJ is still clueless 3 years after taking on the position of president. There is no vision, there is no direction, there are no valid goals and milestones, the man can't even appoint competent people as ministers, and corruption is free for all. One gets the sense that everything is adrift. We need the opposition APC to set aside personal ambitions and field the best combination for the job. Nigeria deserves better and the time is now!

2 Likes

Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by Ikengawo: 4:30pm On Jun 09, 2013
Fashola is a child to Buhari. In nigeria's culture such a ticket wouldn't go anywhere because it makes no sense. As well as Fashola has done, he's not the only nigerian with sense, nor is Buhari. Years of being battered by IBBs and Abachas has left us believing the mediocre is excellent. Fashola is ok, Buhari is far below average. I know a man like Buhari could never win a US city mayoral election and Nigeria is in the league of nations like everywhere else and shouldn't have a lower standard for its PRESIDENCY.
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by abayomi23(f): 4:36pm On Jun 09, 2013
Muslim and Muslim tickets. No,no,no
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by NeoXVI: 4:36pm On Jun 09, 2013
Ikengawo: Fashola is a child to Buhari. In nigeria's culture such a ticket wouldn't go anywhere because it makes no sense. As well as Fashola has done, he's not the only nigerian with sense, nor is Buhari. Years of being battered by IBBs and Abachas has left us believing the mediocre is excellent. Fashola is ok, Buhari is far below average. I know a man like Buhari could never win a US city mayoral election and Nigeria is in the league of nations like everywhere else and shouldn't have a lower standard for its PRESIDENCY.

Pull your head out of the air and think! Of course there may be people who are better, but you select leaders from the present crop you have not from some imaginary pool of unknown people. If even he's "mediocre", he's still the most visionary and articulate person I see today in the Nigerian political field.

Fashola will win the SW for sure. With Buhari, they can win the North. My brothers in the SE and SS will be A LOT more open to that ticket than the one with Buhari as president. So what is your argument really?
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by EkoIle1: 4:46pm On Jun 09, 2013
Very thoughtful analysis and perspective...
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by BekeeBuAgbara: 5:15pm On Jun 09, 2013
The incumbent vice president is from the North, are they satisfied with that position? The answer is no. Replacing Sambo with Buhari won't make them happy.

But wait, who will tell the former head of state to be boy boy to Fashola? Abi the person no de fear? grin. Op, you should know that what the North is clamouring for is the number one seat not number two.
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jun 09, 2013
Whatever APC leaders come up with, they must put either Rochas or Fashola at the top of the ticket.

Rochas/Tambuwal

or

Fashola/Tambuwal

I like Buhari but he must jettison his ambition for the good of the country. He has to understand PDP and Gej must go!

1 Like

Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by tomakint: 5:38pm On Jun 09, 2013
.......after reading through thread and other posts, tomakint feels like......

Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by vanunu: 6:00pm On Jun 09, 2013
Rochas is the most popular southern in the north, most northerners don't know Fashola.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by Mogidi: 6:45pm On Jun 09, 2013
This is another eek eek thread and has cemented my opinion that the opposition have run out of ideas and keeps scratching their head eek eek fashion. You must live on a different planet if you think Sai Buhari of Boko haram fame will allow a mere state governor to impede his ambition. Even Fashola's Boss Tinubu almost knelt down when he met Sai Buhari.

Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by vizboy(m): 6:48pm On Jun 09, 2013
i dont see these working in any way because I know Gmb would never agree to be no 2 to tinubu's boy fashola. IT CAN NEVER WORK
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by Nobody: 6:51pm On Jun 09, 2013
Showing respect for an elderly person does not mean you worship or agree with them everytime. Even Obama (the world's most powerful man) bowed down for Saudi King.

Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by SouthEast: 6:53pm On Jun 09, 2013
Neo-XVI:
So I was discussing with a friend and he brought up this idea that I haven't heard anyone mention before. How about Gov Fashola as the presidential candidate for APC and GMB as the VP?

PDP will definitely field GEJ. He's lost the support of most of the north. He doesn't have any real foothold in the SW. He was voted in last time out of sympathy, and because most Nigerians don't trust GMB for whatever reason

Fashola will definitely sweep the entire SW. With GMB as vice, the North will be more APC than PDP going by the way they love the man. The big question though is will Buhari accept a vice-presidential position? He clearly has a trust deficit with the south. This hasn't changed. I voted for him last time, but frankly I have grown weary of him myself. His acceptance of a VP position will convey humility, national interest in place of personal ambition, and more people in the south will come to like him. In his first term, Fashola was clearly the best governor and his fame reverberates throughout Nigeria. So I envision that he will get about 25-35% of the votes in the SE and SS. Winning the SW and the North should make it an easy coast for that ticket.

GEJ is still clueless 3 years after taking on the position of president. There is no vision, there is no direction, there are no valid goals and milestones, the man can't even appoint competent people as ministers, and corruption is free for all. One gets the sense that everything is adrift. We need the opposition APC to set aside personal ambitions and field the best combination for the job. Nigeria deserves better and the time is now!

So no quota system in religion? Yo wanna field two Muslims in a religiously divided country as NIGERIA? You are a non starter.
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by NeoXVI: 6:58pm On Jun 09, 2013
BekeeBuAgbara: The incumbent vice president is from the North, are they satisfied with that position? The answer is no. Replacing Sambo with Buhari won't make them happy.

But wait, who will tell the former head of state to be boy boy to Fashola? Abi the person no de fear? grin. Op, you should know that what the North is clamouring for is the number one seat not number two.

@bolded... exactly. PDP is not offering them anything better. I think the masses of the North will be happier with a Buhari persona representing them, than they would with a Sambo.

A VP is no boy-boy. Buhari will be a hard sell to the South as president. He has used up all his goodwill and people view him as too rigid, over-ambitious and a religious fanatic. Not my views though. If he accepts a VP slot, he will come across differently. On the other hand, he could chose to play godfather, much like Tinubu, and chose a northerner for VP slot, then go all out and campaign for such person.

What is important is sending PDP to the gallows, at least for four years. They need to do a good deal of homework. I just don't see a Buhari ticket working.
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by touch4mony: 7:00pm On Jun 09, 2013
sw ruled for eight yrs,north 3 and u think north will seat and wait for sw to rule another 8yrs.they will nither suport GEJ 4yrs and take over 2019 dan to wait till 2023.i dont see this marriage working
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by NeoXVI: 7:03pm On Jun 09, 2013
SouthEast:

So no quota system in religion? Yo wanna field two Muslims in a religiously divided country as NIGERIA? You are a non starter.

Quota comes up if you have someone who is viewed as a religious fanatic at the head of the ticket. I know we haven't reached the level of sophistication that allows that not to be a consideration, but with Fashola as the lead, it won't be such an important consideration for most folks. The man is not defined by his religion in the way Buhari is.
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by SouthEast: 7:06pm On Jun 09, 2013
Neo-XVI:

Quota comes up if you have someone who is viewed as a religious fanatic at the head of the ticket. I know we haven't reached the level of sophistication that allows that not to be a consideration, but with Fashola as the lead, it won't be such an important consideration for most folks. The man is not defined by his religion in the way Buhari is.

You still not saying anything.

1 Like

Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by Firefire(m): 7:14pm On Jun 09, 2013
FAILED FROM THE BEGINING.....
so unaa don give buhar name GMB i dey laugh. GMB = GENERAL MUHAAAAA BUARI shai bok*
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by ikweremilitant: 7:14pm On Jun 09, 2013
abayomi23: Muslim and Muslim tickets. No,no,no
don't mind d maleria patient
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by NeoXVI: 7:21pm On Jun 09, 2013
ikwere militant: don't mind d maleria patient

Obviously you're one of the poorly educated/illiterate people who can't see beyond ethnic, regional and religious persuasions.

At the end of the day, I don't think the country is ready for a south-easterner as president. So at best they'll still end up with a Fashola/Tambuwal if GMB decides to do the right thing. What has GEJ's christianity done for you?
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jun 09, 2013
Neo-XVI:

Obviously you're one of the poorly educated/illiterate people who can't see beyond ethnic, regional and religious persuasions.

At the end of the day, I don't think the country is ready for a south-easterner as president. So at best they'll still end up with a Fashola/Tambuwal if GMB decides to do the right thing. What has GEJ's christianity done for you?

Don't mind the bigot called ikwere terrorist. There are lot of them on nairaland. Ethnic and religious sentiments have clouded their ability to differentiate between wrong and right. He is not educated enough to spell malaria. That tells you the type of person you are dealing with.

1 Like

Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by SouthEast: 7:26pm On Jun 09, 2013
Neo-XVI:

The country is not ready for SE as president but it is ready for two muslims as president? You live in planet Mars, right?

Can you explain to us why the country is not ready for a SE president? Who are those in the country who are not ready for a SE president? You need to convince me.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by NeoXVI: 7:37pm On Jun 09, 2013
SouthEast:

The country is not ready for SE as president but it is ready for two muslims as president? You live in planet Mars, right?

Can you explain to us why the country is not ready for a SE president? Who are those in the country who are not ready for a SE president? You need to convince me.

You only just need to view threads here to perceive that. There's still the civil war trust deficit as to the motives of an Igbo man, and only more time practicing democracy will heal that. The continuous talk of Biafra among SEasterners has also not helped to put that episode in our past.
Even in the south-east, Rochas will find it difficult cos outside Imo, people see him as stepping out ahead of his time in national politics. He should conclude two terms and prove himself, then he'll be ready. Take the country by regions: SE, SS, SW, NW, NE, NC. Put Rochas up against Fashola and except for SE and possibly SS, Fashola will do better in the regions, IMO
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by ogb5(m): 7:46pm On Jun 09, 2013
Neo-XVI:

It has given us the comfort that FG fund is not being used to progress a religion that takes pride in killing fellow citizens

1 Like

Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by NeoXVI: 8:00pm On Jun 09, 2013
ogb5:

It has given us the comfort that FG fund is not being used to progress a religion that takes pride in killing fellow citizens

And you have proof that BH was ever funded by the FG? Please share your proof...
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by Koffiman: 8:30pm On Jun 09, 2013
Neo-XVI:

why not engage ur brain with better things rather being obsessed with usenseless ethno-political permutation and GEJ. What Nigeria needs nw is a unifier and reformer and not a divider and sectionalist like Fashola/GMB
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by ogb5(m): 8:42pm On Jun 09, 2013
Neo-XVI:

And you have proof that BH was ever funded by the FG? Please share your proof...

guy, if you don't understand what I wrote, pick up your secondary English book and study comprehension all over again.

I rather have a Christian as president than have a boko haram sympathizer as president.
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by Ikengawo: 8:44pm On Jun 09, 2013
Neo-XVI:

Pull your head out of the air and think! Of course there may be people who are better, but you select leaders from the present crop you have not from some imaginary pool of unknown people. If even he's "mediocre", he's still the most visionary and articulate person I see today in the Nigerian political field.

Fashola will win the SW for sure. With Buhari, they can win the North. My brothers in the SE and SS will be A LOT more open to that ticket than the one with Buhari as president. So what is your argument really?
so if the standard is low why not pull high quality guys into the pool to improve it?

The speaking ability of any American grade school teacher surpasses Fashola's. If Nigeria had a politician that can give a speech, a bare minimum good speech, we wouldn't be compromising for mediocres. Also, the SE and SS don't like Buhari, so there's no openness. Buhari is a primitive relic of an era we're trying to pass.

a 70 year old undereducated former dictator isn't the best we can do. Lets stop lying to ourselves. His constituency happens to be the least educated and most brutal portion of the country, if he makes sense over there then fine, but in the SE and SS the guy is a cave man. middle belt as well.
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by Ikengawo: 8:47pm On Jun 09, 2013
Neo-XVI:

You only just need to view threads here to perceive that. There's still the civil war trust deficit as to the motives of an Igbo man, and only more time practicing democracy will heal that. The continuous talk of Biafra among SEasterners has also not helped to put that episode in our past.
Even in the south-east, Rochas will find it difficult cos outside Imo, people see him as stepping out ahead of his time in national politics. He should conclude two terms and prove himself, then he'll be ready. Take the country by regions: SE, SS, SW, NW, NE, NC. Put Rochas up against Fashola and except for SE and possibly SS, Fashola will do better in the regions, IMO

Im curious as to whether or not Rochas will out do Fashola and vice versa. I feel that Fashola's popularity is largely among the yoruba and the internet. nobody else cares. I don't know about rochas cause i haven't been home since his vice presidency but Fashola doesn't command are much support in Lagos as Rochas does in Imo (if there were an election today it would be 90% for Rochas), so this is a measurement.

Rochas and Fashola are two different types of leaders though, i would compare Fashola to Chime Sullivan if you need an eastern 'counter part'

1 Like

Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jun 09, 2013
Neo-XVI:

Neo-XVI:

You are calling someone an ethnic and religious fanatic yet you claim "this country is not rerady for a south easterner as president" what the hell do you mean by this statement? Is fashola better than the akunyilis,ezekwesilis,soludos of this world? The sw just finsihed their quota of 8 yrs with obsanjo and now you want to smuggle elitist fashola through the backdoor.

Buhari can never condescend to be vp to anybody let alone fashola and a fashola/northen vp ticket would only win in the sw.The north would never vote for such arrangement as they already have a vp who is even more positioned to be president in 2019 than a fashola presidency that would likely push that to around 2023

1 Like

Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by NeoXVI: 9:23pm On Jun 09, 2013
chukwudi44:

You are calling someone an ethnic and religious fanatic yet you claim "this country is not rerady for a south easterner as president" what the hell do you mean by this statement? Is fashola better than the akunyilis,ezekwesilis,soludos of this world? The sw just finsihed their quota of 8 yrs with obsanjo and now you want to smuggle elitist fashola through the backdoor.

Buhari can never condescend to be vp to anybody let alone fashola and a fashola/northen vp ticket would only win in the sw.The north would never vote for such arrangement as they already have a vp who is even more positioned to be president in 2019 than a fashola presidency that would likely push that to around 2023

I see your problem is that there is no Igbo man in the ticket. I am also Ibo, so cool off. Akunyuli et al don't have the same experience as Fashola, so that's a poor comparison. Use your education and enlightenment for once, so the money spent on you won't be a waste. Think beyond your nose. In countries that have made something out of themselves, they choose the best from what they have. We cannot hope to get anywhere anytime soon with your quota system. Wasn't it your brother that was livid with anger about quota system into FGCs? Someone from Gombe with a score of 2 is admitted while another from Anambra with 104 cannot get in. Quota brought us clueless GEJ and Yar'adua, quota will keep us down. Use your head for once.

Ikengawo:

Im curious as to whether or not Rochas will out do Fashola and vice versa. I feel that Fashola's popularity is largely among the yoruba and the internet. nobody else cares. I don't know about rochas cause i haven't been home since his vice presidency but Fashola doesn't command are much support in Lagos as Rochas does in Imo (if there were an election today it would be 90% for Rochas), so this is a measurement.

Rochas and Fashola are two different types of leaders though, i would compare Fashola to Chime Sullivan if you need an eastern 'counter part'

Ikengawo:
so if the standard is low why not pull high quality guys into the pool to improve it?

The speaking ability of any American grade school teacher surpasses Fashola's. If Nigeria had a politician that can give a speech, a bare minimum good speech, we wouldn't be compromising for mediocres. Also, the SE and SS don't like Buhari, so there's no openness. Buhari is a primitive relic of an era we're trying to pass.

a 70 year old undereducated former dictator isn't the best we can do. Lets stop lying to ourselves. His constituency happens to be the least educated and most brutal portion of the country, if he makes sense over there then fine, but in the SE and SS the guy is a cave man. middle belt as well.

The proposition was GMB for VP, not president. So save your grouse with the man. And as payless suggested earlier, GMB could be magnanimous and float Tambuwal or someone else. As for Fashola and grade school teacher, don't be ridiculous, okay? I live here in the US too. I also TA'd undergraduate students and their English is poor. So save that for the ignorant. More importantly, you choose from the current pool of leaders you have, so again, get your head out of the air.

Btw, Chime has done okay, but the dynamics of Lagos compares more closely to that of Nigeria. Besides, Chime is sick, so let the man be. We don't want another Yar'adua situation. IMO, Rochas still has to prove himself in Imo. 2 years is not enough.

ogb5:
guy, if you don't understand what I wrote, pick up your secondary English book and study comprehension all over again.

I rather have a Christian as president than have a boko haram sympathizer as president.

Apparently, you had no idea what it was you wrote earlier. Sympathizer and active funding are two different things. Btw, the proposition is VP not president. Comprende?
Re: Fashola-GMB Ticket For APC by teskyg: 9:32pm On Jun 09, 2013
Fashola,pls fix Lagos first.If you can't fix the traffic problem,flood,bad road,Tout,double taxation,and so many problems in Lagos since you took over the helm of affairs even with the fact that Lagos was once a capital of Nigeria with so many federal Government project left behind,please explain to us how you intend to change Nigeria if you can fix Lagos.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anambra People Still Voted Ngige Despite Boycott / Boko Haram : Some Soldiers Chicken Out Of Battle – Gen Minimah / Jigawa Defecting To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.