Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,073 members, 7,818,203 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:15 AM

"Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State (12776 Views)

Youths Entrepreneurship Support (YES) Launched By Buhari Administration / See Photos Of The 259 Customized Patrol Vehicles Launched By Police IG In Abuja / Opon Imo Launched By Osun Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 10:10pm On Jun 10, 2013
Information reaching us has it that Oyo State Government is coming up with her own version of tablets for secondary schools students in the state.

We heard that the tablets which may likely be called ‘Ajumo’mo tablets’ are already in production in one of the Asian countries, and the department in charge, the ICT, are putting finishing touches to the project. We hear that it will be for higher secondary schools first before getting to other levels of education in public schools in the state.

The tablets we hear will be packed full of textbooks for schools, past questions, encyclopedia, games, dictionary, holy books etc and it will come with a solar panel for charging as a way to address the epileptic power supply available in the country .

http://whatsupibadan.com/

Great move Ajimobi, let's get Oyo going.

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Afam4eva(m): 10:13pm On Jun 10, 2013
WOW!
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 10:13pm On Jun 10, 2013
Wow, interesting move.......

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Afam4eva(m): 10:15pm On Jun 10, 2013
adaobi123: Wow, interesting move.......
INteresting indeed...I guess i'll be expecting other ACN states to do same.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 10, 2013
Afam4eva:

We shall see....
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jun 10, 2013
Afam4eva:

I believe there's a lot of potential in this learning device, even universities can make use of this technology.

All states ought to buy into it, maybe after they see the success rate anyway.

5 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by emiye(m): 10:31pm On Jun 10, 2013
Triple P, Positive peer pressure from the ACN governors. Good news continue.....

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Afam4eva(m): 10:33pm On Jun 10, 2013
Btw, what does "Ajumo Mo" mean? is it only me that thinks it sounds like Ajumobi? I just hope this guy didn't name the device after himself.

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 10:36pm On Jun 10, 2013
It means 'knowing together'.
One thing I don't approve of is the way he coins things to blend with his name.

5 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Afam4eva(m): 10:38pm On Jun 10, 2013
django1: It means 'knowing together'.
One thing I don't approve of is the way he coins things to blend with his name.
He should leave subsequent governors to name things after him and not him naming it after himself. It's not just right. If this stuff succeeds, the next governor might see a need scrapping if not for anything but for the fact that it has the name of the previous governor attached to it.

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by EkoAtlantic: 10:43pm On Jun 10, 2013
Aregbe has laid the foundation for other governors grin thanks to him.
Expecting Lagos, Edo, Ogun and other states in Nigeria to follow suit.

God bless Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Meritbaba(m): 11:15pm On Jun 10, 2013
Afam4eva:
He should leave subsequent governors to name things after him and not him naming it after himself. It's not just right. If this stuff succeeds, the next governor might see a need scrapping if not for anything but for the fact that it has the name of the previous governor attached to it.
Must you criticise everything from the SW?

7 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 12:10am On Jun 11, 2013
What I'm not clear on is whether the teachers have been trained on the use of these tablets.

I mean, if it's a "learning tablet", someone's gotta do the teaching, right? undecided

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by fludu: 12:22am On Jun 11, 2013
This a fab educational resource and will help expand student learning and computer skills. The tablet connected to the internet will offer even more useful resources and access. I think this is one that should be adopted by all schools and the teachers need to know how to teach students how to locate the books, dictionaries etc.

It works well in schools in western countries and I am particular thrilled about the solar panel charging facility a must and important feature.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Olaone1: 12:53am On Jun 11, 2013
Ajumo'mo? This self-important Ajimobi is now a clown. He should just call it "Ajimobi'mo". I am tired of this self-willed self-indulgent governor undecided undecided undecided
Wa.nke.r

4 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Desola(f): 1:08am On Jun 11, 2013
Ajumo mo ko, ojumo mo ni. Why couldn't he just leave it at the befitting name given by Aregbe. Just trying to out do sha!

Anyway, if I see them throw another yeye unnecessary party to launch this thing again I would make a formal complaint!

2 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Walexz02(m): 1:54am On Jun 11, 2013
Meritbaba: Must you criticise everything from the SW?
Get a life you this diçkhead!
He ain't critisizing the governor but the fact that he is trying to make all thing embaded in his name which is not so good coz he is not going to be there(as d state gov.) parmanently. Even if the project succeeded in his own time, another governor when incharge may scrap the project just because Ajimobi's name is on it...

5 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by kunlekunle: 3:20am On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva: Btw, what does "Ajumo Mo" mean? is it only me that thinks it sounds like Ajumobi? I just hope this guy didn't name the device after himself.

collective knowledge

2 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 3:34am On Jun 11, 2013
hmmm, using our collective money federal govt. will soon buy ipad/tablet for all unity schools and a kid in Yobe with a score of 2 will have ipad/tablet he/she can not use while a kid in Anambra with a score of 130 will not be able to get the ipad/tablet he/she so much yearn to work with!

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by madamoringo(f): 4:21am On Jun 11, 2013
Interesting! It's only a matter of time before the boastful, empty pride brothers East of the Niger begin to copy this initiative! LWTMB! grin grin but first they will make fun of it, then make fun of the governors, then cry about everything else then eventually, they will try and copy it. Azikiwe did the same thing and only ended up trying to copy the free education ideas of Chief Obafemi Awolowo and his Party! But without him having the original ideas and blueprint, it failed completely in Iboland. LOL grin

2 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 4:29am On Jun 11, 2013
Why do Nigerians always tell us what they're going to do? why not launch it first?

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 4:31am On Jun 11, 2013
Nice tablets, by the way
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by DuduNegro: 5:51am On Jun 11, 2013
Why do we need to call it "Ajumo Mo" in Oyo but Opon Imo in Osun?

Do the students of Oyo state not know what "Opon Imo" means? By now we are fourth generation degree families in Yorubaland......its time we apply the synergy value that works effectively in Western societies. There is no need to name Opon Imo differently in each of our governing states. If a state comes up with something ingenous we should deploy it for uniformity.

Why reinvent an effective and productive wheel?

If i may add, this introduction becomes part of the achievement in the DAWN scorecard.

4 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Olaone1: 6:06am On Jun 11, 2013
Desola: Ajumo mo ko, ojumo mo ni. Why couldn't he just leave it at the befitting name given by Aregbe. Just trying to out do sha!

Anyway, if I see them throw another yeye unnecessary party to launch this thing again I would make a formal complaint!

Ayaba. Deso baby, amofin agba. Long time wink wink

They party hard here o. Even new uniforms for YESO must be accompanied by a party, my sis.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 6:50am On Jun 11, 2013
cogitoErgo: hmmm, using our collective money federal govt. will soon buy ipad/tablet for all unity schools and a[b] kid in Yobe with a score of 2 [/b]will have ipad/tablet he/she can not use while a kid in Anambra with a score of 130 will not be able to get the ipad/tablet he/she so much yearn to work with!

this is BS! THEN THE Governors should use their initiative!!
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by brownlord: 6:59am On Jun 11, 2013
Eko Atlantic: Aregbe has laid the foundation for other governors grin thanks to him.
Expecting Lagos, Edo, Ogun and other states in Nigeria to follow suit.

God bless Nigeria.

Who send you make u mention my state for this rubbish, nice move Oyo state govt as i dont know the level of educational standard there. But for Osun, its a failed project, for God sake, this student need the basics and not e-learning materials, there is no school in my local govt. that have up to 5 - 6 teachers, they depend solely on corpers, which i think its not right, corpers are suppose to be teaching assistant, have said it before, if not for security reasons, i would have taken picx. of class rooms in most of the schools in my LG and post it on this forum, my school just did first CA and some of this student sat on the floor to write, other have chair but no desk, na wah for this omoluabi people o

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Gbawe: 7:10am On Jun 11, 2013
Dudu_Negro: Why do we need to call it "Ajumo Mo" in Oyo but Opon Imo in Osun?

Do the students of Oyo state not know what "Opon Imo" means? By now we are fourth generation degree families in Yorubaland......its time we apply the synergy value that works effectively in Western societies. There is no need to name Opon Imo differently in each of our governing states. If a state comes up with something ingenous we should deploy it for uniformity.

Why reinvent an effective and productive wheel?

If i may add, this introduction becomes part of the achievement in the DAWN scorecard.

Yeah, you're right. Keeping the name uniform would have been best for many reasons. Good initiative though.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by AbuMikey(m): 7:15am On Jun 11, 2013
Nice move....But let's just wait for the success rate before further commendation!

1 Like

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Pukkah: 7:22am On Jun 11, 2013
Afam4eva: Btw, what does "Ajumo Mo" mean? is it only me that thinks it sounds like Ajumobi? I just hope this guy didn't name the device after himself.

His name is not Ajumobi. It is Ajimobi. The pronounciations and meanings of the two are different.
Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by jibsai(m): 7:31am On Jun 11, 2013

First his name is Ajimobi and not ajumobi...oyo state political slogan for dz administration is "Ajumose gbogbo wa" meaning it is our collective responsibility..."Ajumo mo" stated here mearly means its "collective understanding" more we should all be in the known zone, get informed...anyways this is a good idea, something to be happy about esp d students that will benefit directly...

2 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Nobody: 7:45am On Jun 11, 2013
The devil is in the details, as always. The 'Nigerian Factor' would always come into play. This whole Opon Imo initiative (or by any other name) seems unsustainable, considering the unit production price, likely high rate/incidence of damage, high turnover of students, and endless room for corrupt practices at every stage of the chain (from the governor/government officials, to contractors, ministry of education oficials, all the way to teachers).

In less than two years from now, the project would prove too much of a drain on resources to survive. It's just one of those white elephant projects conceived for short-term PR purposes with little chance of long term sustainability.

2 Likes

Re: "Ajumo'mo" Learning Tablet To Be Launched By Oyo State by Gbawe: 7:55am On Jun 11, 2013
pro01: The devil is in the details, as always. The 'Nigerian Factor' would always come into play. This whole Opon Imo initiative (or by any other name) seems unsustainable, considering the unit production price, likely high rate/incidence of damage, high turnover of students, and endless room for corrupt practices at every stage of the chain (from the governor/government officials, to contractors, ministry of education oficials, all the way to teachers).

In less than two years from now, the project would prove too much of a drain on resources to survive. It's just one of those white elephant projects conceived for short-term PR purposes with little chance of long term sustainability.

I suppose you know more more than UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation) and it's many technocratic experts. I would think they know a good educational aid when they see one. You guys should just learn to control the need to criticise blindly and negatively.

I can tell you that even 5 year olds use tablets, smart phones and touch screen devices in the UK with ease. They are so intuitive at it that kids as young as 3 are totally at ease in an Apple I-store. The interactivity and real benefits of these devices are amazing. Yet you people, with unobjective and personalised criticism not at all congruent with world reality and the fast pace of universal development, want the Nigerian child to continue to lag behind , in an IT age, so he/she will have the poorest skill-set that will be very hard to transfer in future. Even the sole argument of getting young Nigerians adept at using information technology, as soon as possible, is a winner on it's own and worth any initial learning circle of maintenance, restocking, upgrading issues this may present. Once an entrenched idea, then problems are overcome and this becomes the norm. Same as touch-screen technology, relatively unknown 15 years ago, is the cornerstone of everything we do today.

http://www.govtechnology.com.ng/top-story/1192/unesco-endorses-opon-imo-for-osun-state-students/

UNESCO Endorses Opon Imo for Osun State Students
Posted date: Jun 4, 2013

ILESHA, OSUN: Country Director, UNESCO, Prof. Hassana Alidou has endorsed Osun State public school computer initiative popularly called Opon Imo, Tablet of Knowledge. She said the computer initiative was a unique initiative that would galvanize learning and engender development.

Alidou, who was the guest speaker on the occasion at the Opon Imo unveiling ceremony, held in the historical city of Ilesha, said Osun had inaugurated its students on the superhighway of information technology, stressing that the initiative would change the face of learning in the state and country.

Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka also described the initiative as a “revolution” which will alter the face of learning in the country. Speaker, House of Representatives, Aminu Tambuwal; former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar; and a former Lagos State Governor Bola Tinubu also spoke at the inauguration of the initiative.

Soyinka, who spoke through a Professor of Molecular Biology, Sola Adeyeye, said all tiers of governments must provide solutions to challenges confronting the country. The Laureate recalled that the 14th, 15th and 16th centuries witnessed the blackman swimming in the backwaters of underdevelopment, adding that the blackman never fared better in the 20th Century.

He said the computer used when the United States landed the first man, Neil Armstrong, on the moon weighed three tones with five gigabytes, stressing that science and technology had evolved to produce handy mobile phones with 76 megabytes. Commending Aregbesola for initiating the use of the computer tablet, Soyinka, who said he was “filled with envy,” described the innovation as a “groundbreaker”.

Soyinka said, “It is a pioneering achievement in the area of education development. The blackman is still behind. This is the challenge every president, every governor, leaders should face. Osun is developing, something tells me.” Tambuwal described the inauguration of the initiative as “a remarkable day in the annals of Osun, in particular and Nigeria, in general”.

The Speaker commended the state government for providing the students with the device, adding that Osun had blazed the trail in education. Atiku, who explained that ICT remained a veritable tool for learning and development, stressed that the beneficiaries of the initiative pupils would be exposed to computer education. He said, “This is unique. This is innovative. This is leadership. Digital learning is the way forward for this country.”

Osun State Governor, Rauf Aregbesola, said the public presentation of the computer tablets symbolised the breaking of the yoke of backwardness afflicting the Africa. He said, “He who opens a school door, closes a prison door. We won’t look back in laying a foundation for education in Osun. We are saving N50.25bn, which won’t be used to buy 17 textbooks, WAEC, JAMB textbooks and 51 audio tutorials in the next 10 years. The device, which only weighs 1.1kg, contains a virtual library, e-classroom and 17 textbooks on various subjects.”

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

President Jonathan's Approval Rating Was 60% In November - NOI Polls / Kano One Of A Kind Underpass.... / Electoral Act: How Buhari’s Rejection Divides Lawmakers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.