Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,077 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:37 AM

Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? (34171 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / I Finished With A 2-1...do I Need A Masters Degree? / How Did You Succeed With Your 2-2 Or 3rd Class? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Dedax(m): 11:50am On Jul 15, 2008
Third Classers,

Do not allow any man to make you feel inferior. Everyone has a story. Conquer the challenges that come as part of your daily work. Whether its as a result 0f the system or not, move on. A degree is just a gate pass in the strictest sense of life. But there are many gates that lead to the same destination and do not require having a first class. What about those who didnt even attend a university?

If it means going back to school do it. If it means extra hardwork, do it. If it means setting up on your own do it. Any man who thinks he is better than you just because he has a better grade is not very bright. What matters is making a success of your life. Take what you have and move on. Do a PGD, move on to masters. Even MBA's are possible.

Wole Soyinka finished his first degree with a third class. If he stopped because he listened to myopic people he wouldnt be the KONGI, a Nobel prize winner we know today. Some comments are not worth reading so dont read them. You came here because you know deep within you that you are better.

Get a PGD. Be daring. Be bold and courageous. Tough and resolute. Nobody asks about your degree class when you are making impact. As I said it is a gate pass. Find another gate or take the time to go back and get the key if you MUST go through a particular gate.

YOUR CLASS OF DEGREE IS NOT THE STORY OF YOUR LIFE, ITS A PIECE OF CARDBOARD on which a piece of your history (dead yesterday is written)

GO MAKE IT HAPPEN.
ALL THE BEST.

4 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by snipesc3(m): 4:51pm On Jul 16, 2008
well it is inerresting to note that 3rd class is causing an avalanche in the employement sector, not withstanding the fact that organisations now look for 1st class students, i still believe in second class upper, lower and the 3rd class students, but not in the "pass", 1ST CLASS ARE CRAMMERS, 2ND CLASS ARE STUDENS, 3RD CLASS ARE HUSLERS, do not dispaire over ur situaion there is hope!!!!!!! grin
hey guy and dont call that unfortunate, for the fact that u are born , u are a WINNER grin
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by osites(m): 8:20pm On Oct 10, 2008
Ha look man (4him) it is clear you have some deep seated issues that need resolving.DAngote n the rest never went to school.the point im trying to make to u is nomatter what u graduate wit u have to work hard to make it.even if Nijja is what it is as u put it u gotta work hard n being a 1st class graduate doesnt make u better than any1 else.bsides as u said Naigeria iswhat it is who knows how u got ur first class degree.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Sammy107d(m): 4:28am On Oct 12, 2008
wole soyinka finished third class? wow dats news

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by modupe2: 8:12pm On Oct 13, 2008
please house. What advice do you have for a third class graduate in Bio-Chemistry?
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by kings4sera(m): 8:18pm On Oct 13, 2008
yes there is hope 4 a third class gradute but it may take some time.leran to drive,travel to abuja,become a conductor and enrol for uniabuja center for distance learning.with time,you will graduate to be a driver whereby you can make as much as 5000 daily.do this with some class for 5-6yrs while during weekends,go for your lectures.i can assure you that with this,you are assured of making @least 100k/month +a degree wityh a 2;1 in 5 yrs time.but remembner to ue age 16 while coming in.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by adebamboak: 11:51am On Oct 14, 2008
first of all, you are not unfortunate

3rd class is not an HIV, when there is life, there is Hope.The assessment of your lecturers have said 3rd class by their own judgement.Its time to prove them wrong.

a LOT might have been responsible for the 3rd class.If you choose a course that doesn't fit your tendencies, your grades might be poor.Eg, i read engineering in school, I'm a practical person more than abstract.So for practical and realistic minded course , I had an A but for mathematical and abstract courses, i have to do more to get an A.

First class doesn't guarantee success.It could get u a job but not success.There many professors that  are failures.Academics is very good, good grades are good, but life ddoesn'tconsist in grades.

When uyour dad says make sure uyou'vegot a first class, what he really wants is GET A JOB AS SOON AS U LEAVE SCHOOL, not much the first class

Please be encouraged

U can visit my blog for some motivational materials and career tips
I wish you Gods best

http://akinropoishola..com/

iIvedecided to help in this way, all the things iIvellearnt how i have personally overcame situations that can bring you down.

In 25years time, what matters iisn'twho had first class, its who has succeeded most, who is relevant

God bless
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Badguyz: 2:13pm On Oct 14, 2008
I get irritated when i hear people wallow in self pity, like i should carry them and breast feed them(in my case chest feed), i hear this regressive yacking all the time,
Trust me, most of the advice we give peeps of this mindset are generic, if some Tom opens this same conversation, with a semantically reviewed topic, we wud rephrase and post the same empathic/generick messages of hope,
I dont claim to be religious, but God doesn't will us to regress in whatever we do, neither does He condemn us if we dont meet targets, However, He blesses us, if and only if we look beyond our self inflicted limitations.
Get off your sorry behind and develop a plan to make it, and follow it dilligently, get urself a mentor, and find out what he must have gone through to get to where he is, and then, in ur own way, adapt and move on.
The problem most of us have is that we dont want to crawl before we run. We tend to despise our days of small beginnings.
Mine is a success story, and i aint there yet. Iv earned crap and iv earned quid in my life time,
I rest my case for now.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by dafs: 10:47am On Oct 15, 2008
3rd class is painful guy but in most cases it was'nt really ur fault.Imagine all the adverts, they don't ever want to consider u.?It is a terrible situation.But that does not determine ur success in life.successin sch and success in life are two different thing.Just try to update urself,i know is not easy especially when people are looking up to to start working and take some load off them.BUT NEVER GIVE UP , u shall surely make IT. Try second degree and keep hope alife. If it does'nt happen close to u, u think they are dull. My best in the same class who i know am not better than made 3rd class . It was so painful and i felt it so much. U may be 3rd class in sch but u will NEVER BE IN LIFE., Go 4 second degree while looking 4 job, the Lord showeth mercy on whomever He wants(certificate not a criteria). All the best in life
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by MSEdLAW(m): 3:15pm On Dec 02, 2010
I have read most of the reactions to the post and do think that most are adversary while others tend to be too antagonistic. The young man who originally posted wanted to find a solution to a problem, but instead of directing him on what to do, we are here boasting and making a lot of noise without any substance. Let us be civil and reasonable in our utterances. This forum belongs to Seun and therefore have rules of which most of us are breaking. Now to the original poster, this is my advice, I also made 3rd class in law and was called to the bar. But in practice, class of degree does not count as no judge will ask you of that before you defend a client in court, but what you can do in face of court is what brings you briefs and recognition. There are many SAN's with 3rd class Degrees. When I was at the law school, the best graduating student from Ebonyi State made 3rd class at UNEC ie UNN, but was the only student that made 1st class at the law school, as a result The Council of Legal Education of Nigeria and The Body of Bencher's queried the University and they review the Degree to 2.1. I am currently working with the NNPC and there are others in Shell and other Establishments. Years ago Shell was not even inviting HND, 2.2 for interview, but a particular year changed that, those with better grades disgraced themselves and that prompted Shell to invite those with lesser grades and the result was that the HND, 2.1 and 3rd class holders did excellently well that they had no choice than to employ them. Forget your class of degree and believe in yourself like Obama is doing in US Democratic primaries. Though you did say the course you read, if it is a professional course, your professional certificate matters more than you class of degree in the employment market. I have worked with many expatriates and one thing is clear that Nigerian Degrees are like trash to all of them, not regarded at all. so brace yourself and go for professional certificates. In the oil industry for instance in Nigeria, PTI Diploma or HND is highly rated than your 1st Class or 2.1 Degree. Though in summary That does not mean that if you are in school, you should not strive to do well to make a good grade, far from it, but where you end up with a lesser grade, brace yourself up and move on, that is what Professor Dan Fulani of ABU Zaria told me sometime ago. By the way he has 2 First Degrees, 7 Masters Degrees and 4 PhD Degrees, yet he is very humble. I have also met Mr Kevin Nwosu of the Settlement House Abuja a former Senior Lecturer and Director at the Nigerian Law School who made 1st Class at Imo University and 1st class at the Law School. Or in the alternative, you can read another course if you want a more dignifying class of degree or go for more higher degrees. You are not unfortunate, but can be what you will be if you want to.

@triaophant, sincerely, i buy into your salient position held about professional degree holders and i would like to let all those who have ears that the race is not to be swift, its about how you can apply that knowledge in ones field, i am a law graduate from the UNIVERSITY OF CALABAR AKA THE UNIVERSITY OF CALAMITY, and i can assure i made a 3, in law not that there where no 2.1's or 2.2's in ma set, but the lecturers there appreciate softer parts of women, than the hard covered text of books, the full gist for another forum and day, no disrespect to any malabites or malabresses the truth as cold must be told. if you got it in you, no paper qualification can shroud it.just keep maintaining an unflinching desire to improve, and i assure you, the world would hear you soon.

3 Likes

Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by demola9: 11:43am On Dec 29, 2010
i made pass.and i have a wonderful job.i thank the Almighty Allah.anything can happen don't give up
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by headworld: 7:08am On Jan 06, 2011
From soil to oil
Now something is boiling
Our oil tanks are getting exhausted
NOW WE NEED MORE THINK TANKS…
Looking at the challenges (corruption, hunger, complains, power, waste, unemployment, etc) facing us as a Country.
We cannot leave things the way they are
We cannot be part of the problem
What we see are numerous opportunities available by providing solutions.
Prepare…Plan …Execute with SPEED
Strike while the iron is red-hot!

ENTREPRENEURS are WANTED,

Talk to us: Lets get u started or keep u ahead in business.
CALL: OuterEDGE solutions (08066363000) now!

Research
Business plan
Proposal
Feasibility report
Business development & Entrepreneurship Trainings
Start-up advisory (FREE)

Tomorrow belongs to business owners and entrepreneurs!
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by biancalove(f): 6:50pm On Jul 18, 2014
Wic sch can someone go for PGD. do dey require
CG PA for PGD?
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jul 19, 2014
obiem: Roll call: Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka did n't make a first call nor 2.1 or even 2.2, learnt he made a 3rd class,
Human Rights lawyer Gani Fawehinmi did the same result in school but today these men today cannot but be mentioned in our daily lives as men who have affected lives , made names for themselves and most importantly, be the best at what they are doing. So cheer up, take the initiative develop yourself and don't let the 3rd class stigma live with you.
please verify your facts before posting rubbish prof wole soyinka finished with a 2:1. I hate it when some students( Not all) refuse to work hard in school and eventually end up with a bad grade. Most are always quick to tell you wole soyinka finished a 3rd class or sir richard branson bill gates, tommy edison were all school drop outs. Failing to realise that anything that is worth doing is worth doing well. Abeg if you don't have a big uncle somewhere please get serious and finish with a good grade.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Nobody: 5:58am On Jan 26, 2015
my final year result just came out and i saw a thirdclass. how do i prove the certainty of my result? I don't think that was my result cos by my calculation I was in 2-1 in my final year first semester but so surprised to see a what I saw. Please how can I prove that That's my performance?
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Nobody: 6:00am On Jan 26, 2015
my final year result just came out and i saw a thirdclass from uniben . how do i prove the certainty of my result? I don't think that was my result cos by my calculation I was in 2-2 my final year first semester but so surprised to see a what I saw. even if I just had . Please how can I prove that That's my performance?
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Antina(f): 3:13pm On Jan 26, 2015
[quote author=obiem post=2256012]Roll call: Nobel Laureate Wole Soyinka did n't make a first call nor 2.1 or even 2.2, learnt he made a 3rd class,
Human Rights lawyer Gani Fawehinmi did the same result in school but today these men today cannot but be mentioned in our daily lives as men who have affected lives , made names for themselves and most importantly, be the best at what they are doing. So cheer up, take the initiative develop yourself and don't let the 3rd class stigma live with you. [/quote
Point of correction- Wole Soyinka made 2'1 in university, he said that in one of his interviews listened to.

1 Like

Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Antina(f): 3:26pm On Jan 26, 2015
demola9:
i made pass.and i have a wonderful job.i thank the Almighty Allah.anything can happen don't give up
Getting pass in school is part of unseriousness, i hope it doesn't affect any area of your life.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Antina(f): 3:38pm On Jan 26, 2015
tomX1:
One problem a lot of people have (but they may not be aware of it) is that their certificates act as blinders for them. They only see liffe through the narrowed vission that their certificate affords them.
I don't have a degree but I work along side degree holders in some firms (I work freelance) and often time I even pull more pay than they do. I remember when I interviewed in a firm and performed brilliantly. The MD told me point blank that I was a waste since I had no degree. A couple of weeks latter he called me back for a meeting and told me that most of those he interviewed did not perform as well as I did but the constraint he has to face is that if he has to tender the resume of his staff to a client then he would have a hard time defending my lack of a degree. We worked out an agreement where by I get to handle jobs for them from the comfort of my home and I get paid. I get more money off him than he pays his employees with their 1st class and 2nd class upper.

Put your self in the shoes of a business man: would you rather pay more money to a person with a sparkling degree who can only partialy deliver. Or will you pay more for the person with a third class (or no degree) who can deliver even beyond expectation on the same project?

Do not let your degree or lack of it act as a limitation to you. Degrees are only good for getting you an interview, what gets you the job and the pay is your ability to deliver. If you can deliver (but have a poor degree) then all you need to do is work on how to get the attention of those who can gaurantee you an interview so that you can directly impress them with what you can do.
Imagine yourself with a degree with all the experiences you have got.
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by liliangmail(f): 10:26am On Jan 27, 2015
Intresting comments, Heartbrking comments,Encouraging comments! Thirdclass is not the end of the road! If you see job advert, apply! The worst thing that can happen to you is to wallow in selfpity! Majority of d HRS had the same grade! (i av met 3) ! I av also met those with 2-2 who are ontop of the careers! ! But then God holds d key to every sucessful doors! A contrite heart nd broken heart, he will not despise....
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by MercyLady(f): 5:06am On Jun 04, 2015
Hi, i would like to know. Why do people look down or hate on first class graduates?
Sometimes, it is almost incomprehensible that the next person beside you or a neighbor is rating you down because you are a first class.
Even worse if you are a private university graduate.
Most people quickly point out practical skills as if it can't be acquired by any first class student.
We all know the good guys acquire special stills outside the classroom - which is not restricted graduates without first class.
They can't just believe you can graduate with a first class and also be practically equipped easily.
I believe first class students / graduates are not robots that can be evaluated within a short minute or just by observation.
Meanwhile, with the backing of good role models, personal development, financial support from loved ones, etc. a first class may also be the best candidate for a job both in terms of practical skills or whatever condition expected.
I have seen people who said and wrote that they intentionally doesn't want a first class grade.
I also believe the quality of education system should be reflected in the grades of the student.
In most of the top universities in the world, a high percentage of students gets good grades, distinction because all the things required to achieve that are effective and well utilized and organized.
Bad grades should not depict good quality but a questionable one.
Guys what do you think about this ?
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by dipupo2289(m): 2:50pm On Mar 14, 2017
is there any hope for those of us "unfortunate" to have finished with 3rd class? its not fair that we are judged for the rest of our career lives cuz of this,

where is this guy now, please share your success story
Re: Any Hope For Those "Unfortunate" To Have Finished With 3rd Class? by Samubobo(m): 3:13pm On Sep 27, 2017
Unfortunate biti ooooooooo.

No be aspect of degree class be that?
Some people failed now.

Do u mean other class(es) are fortunate?
Hiannnnnnnnnnnn

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Experience In The Nigerian Military Training / 6 Reasons Why You Will End Up Even Poorer Than Your Parents / What Percentage Of Your Salary Should Be Allotted To Accommodation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.