Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. (53075 Views)

Is It Good To Tell Your Boss You Are Resigning Or Take Your Salary And Leave? / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by Doncolio(m): 10:33pm On Jan 22, 2013
bukahands: Nice thread really nice to see business guy well I have a bsc in biochemistry, I intend going to canada for Msc in biochem or petroluem engr on US or canada , then work for like 4 years, then apply for MBA at wharton or chicago booth cos they are highly rated plus d networking and then move to investment bank @ wall street, I intend bagging CFA and ACCA along my MBA, what do u guys think about this plan ?

Brilliant plan...work on it.
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by AjanleKoko: 11:38am On Jan 23, 2013
bukahands: Nice thread really nice to see business guy well I have a bsc in biochemistry, I intend going to canada for Msc in biochem or petroluem engr on US or canada , then work for like 4 years, then apply for MBA at wharton or chicago booth cos they are highly rated plus d networking and then move to investment bank @ wall street, I intend bagging CFA and ACCA along my MBA, what do u guys think about this plan ?

It's a ridiculous plan, actually. undecided
But knock yourself out sha.

9 Likes

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by violent(m): 11:40am On Jan 23, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Haha, i was going to say something like this, but i thought i'd let it rest.
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by Doncolio(m): 3:42pm On Jan 23, 2013
The MBA and CFA should get you into Tech section of wall street winkThe MBA and CFA should get you into Tech section of wall street
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by bukahands(m): 11:04pm On Jan 23, 2013
AjanleKoko:

Ok thanks for ur opinion, my friend @ wharton studied computer science and diverted . Well all great plans starts from a dream. God bless

1 Like

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by AjanleKoko: 12:03am On Jan 24, 2013
bukahands:

Ok thanks for ur opinion, my friend @ wharton studied computer science and diverted . Well all great plans starts from a dream. God bless

Like I said. Its your world boss lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by violent(m): 8:08am On Jan 24, 2013
bukahands:

From my viewpoint, it appears to me you haven't actually had deep thoughts about your "dream"

1) You are not sure if you want to study BSc in Biochemistry or Petroleum Engineering, you just know you'd be studying either of those....why? You don't seem to know, just because both are choices in your line does not mean they will both lead to the same experience or take you to wall street.

2) You are not sure if you'd be studying in the US or Canada, you just appear to be one of us Nigerians who just want to travel out and study in the West. What are the working conditions in these countries? How many graduates from these countries are currently working in their own professional line? You don't seem to know!

3) You will work for four years, but where? in what capacity? Why four years and not NOW? How will that experience lead you to wall street? You don't seem to know!

4) You will work for an Investment Bank...as what? a shelf stacker? In what role? Front, back or middle office? or just as the office lackey who takes the office pets for a walk? Can you live with the demands of Investment Banking in the west? Have you considered if other commitments e.g having a family, will hamper this process? Can you cope with getting into the office at 6 am Monday and closing at 3 am Tuesday, whilst at the same time prepare for a meeting at 8 am? Can you cope with having a job where someone across the desk can simply scream "You are fired?" for not updating a spreadsheet as you should?

You don't just dream, when you are your age and making real life decisions, you should think each step through. You've got to consider all choices and possible options before committing time and money into a life changing path. Planning to study for an MSc in a field you don't know yet, in a country you don't know yet, with plans to work for 4 'gaddem' years in a company you are not sure exists, in a role you don't yet, and with hopes that Wharton or Chicago booth will accept you into their MBA program whilst at the same time grab qualifications which sometimes take the best of men many years to complete....all just to find yourself landing on wall street in a company you are not sure exist and in a role you don't know yet, in my books qualify for absolute ridiculousness.

Don't just walk blindly in other people's footsteps (in this case your friend), that itself is stooopid. You are not your friend and your friend is not you, think about your own life separately and realistically too. Don't just dream like a 7 year old. You are a gaddem fcking graduate.

But then again, what do i know? It's your world boss.

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by sixteen08(m): 8:26am On Jan 24, 2013
@violent u'v jus dished out hard knocks which are true.....real intellectual analysis and if there is any tantrums thrown in opposition den I suggest someone needs 2 b flogged on nairaland....I c why u hesitated @ first n am glad u poured out ur mind.....kip up d gud work

1 Like

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by sixteen08(m): 8:28am On Jan 24, 2013
Ignorant bliSs is somtin dat shud b avoided

1 Like

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by nitrogen(m): 10:57am On Jan 24, 2013
^^^^ undecided undecided undecided
Please what is bad in dreaming na? Infact, you people are discouraging us sef! Abeg o

As for me, I want to get an Harvard or manchester university scholarship soon, then during the programme, I make sure I pass my CFA 1-3, then FRM and ACCA, I must do all that within a year or and a half, then I move to JP morgan straight.

God help me!

You see now, its almost even the same dream, so please don't kill our dream(s) o cos it is easier said than done.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by 2sexy(m): 11:43am On Jan 24, 2013
Bitter nake.d truth!
violent:

From my viewpoint, it appears to me you haven't actually had deep thoughts about your "dream"

1) You are not sure if you want to study BSc in Biochemistry or Petroleum Engineering, you just know you'd be studying either of those....why? You don't seem to know, just because both are choices in your line does not mean they will both lead to the same experience or take you to wall street.

2) You are not sure if you'd be studying in the US or Canada, you just appear to be one of us Nigerians who just want to travel out and study in the West. What are the working conditions in these countries? How many graduates from these countries are currently working in their own professional line? You don't seem to know!

3) You will work for four years, but where? in what capacity? Why four years and not NOW? How will that experience lead you to wall street? You don't seem to know!

4) You will work for an Investment Bank...as what? a shelf stacker? In what role? Front, back or middle office? or just as the office lackey who takes the office pets for a walk? Can you live with the demands of Investment Banking in the west? Have you considered if other commitments e.g having a family, will hamper this process? Can you cope with getting into the office at 6 am Monday and closing at 3 am Tuesday, whilst at the same time prepare for a meeting at 8 am? Can you cope with having a job where someone across the desk can simply scream "You are fired?" for not updating a spreadsheet as you should?

You don't just dream, when you are your age and making real life decisions, you should think each step through. You've got to consider all choices and possible options before committing time and money into a life changing path. Planning to study for an MSc in a field you don't know yet, in a country you don't know yet, with plans to work for 4 'gaddem' years in a company you are not sure exists, in a role you don't yet, and with hopes that Wharton or Chicago booth will accept you into their MBA program whilst at the same time grab qualifications which sometimes take the best of men many years to complete....all just to find yourself landing on wall street in a company you are not sure exist and in a role you don't know yet, in my books qualify for absolute ridiculousness.

Don't just walk blindly in other people's footsteps (in this case your friend), that itself is stooopid. You are not your friend and your friend is not you, think about your own life separately and realistically too. Don't just dream like a 7 year old. You are a gaddem fcking graduate.

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by optimiza: 11:52am On Jan 24, 2013
Yeah I luv this! We tink alongside dreaming! I jst heard abt dis CFA and is lik am interestd.am a graduate of mathematics and economics wit huge interest in finance,currently working ina small private firm.what is dis CFA all about and upon completion,wat ar the chances of securing a good job in finance in Nigeria considering th present paucity of job openings. Pls educate me very well cos ya abt to build a professional.TЂa♌Ӄs am waiting for responses
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by yemmyma: 12:58pm On Jan 24, 2013
nitrogen: ^^^^ undecided undecided undecided
Please what is bad in dreaming na? Infact, you people are discouraging us sef! Abeg o

As for me, I want to get an Harvard or manchester university scholarship soon, then during the programme, I make sure I pass my CFA 1-3, then FRM and ACCA, I must do all that within a year or and a half, then I move to JP morgan straight.

God help me!

You see now, its almost even the same dream, so please don't kill our dream(s) o cos it is easier said than done.

Oh, nothing bad in dreaming. Did you see how complex her plan was and not well thought out? Biochemistry --> Petroleum --> Business(MBA) --> Investment banking CFA) --- Accounting(ACCA)

Americans are the best when it comes to career disruption. I mean you see someone spend 4 years in IT(programming/project management) and unconsciously moving to sales. Before you know it he/she may be heading to Finance through an MBA programme and lets say decide to become a professor later in the future. These cases you see because people want to do something new either consciously or unconsciously. They usually never planned it 10-20 years earlier. But for this Wharton dreaming poster, that mind map she wrote may have started a strong wind of confusion in her.

i'd say people need to do things first for the passion they have for it and not for the prestige or glamour they are hoping to get from it. All those other things you had hoped for will follow naturally.

3 Likes

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by Doncolio(m): 8:31am On Jan 28, 2013
violent:

Not at all, I'd say. Martin luther king was in a situation where many would say there's no hope for tomorrow, when he didn't know America tomorrow. But no matter how long it took, it became a reality.
I started ACCA while still university as a pure science student with no clue of what accounting was all about. I was doing bof pure science and accounting at a level when people found it difficult to cope with one.
But one thing I know is passion brings dreams to reality.
All I'll ask u is do u av passion for the work I'm sure you at your level will know the details before going into it. People like you and I not robots work in wall street. Cheers!!!
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by tanimola22: 10:37am On Jan 28, 2013
Doncolio:

Not at all, I'd say. Martin luther king was in a situation where many would say there's no hope for tomorrow, when he didn't know America tomorrow. But no matter how long it took, it became a reality.
I started ACCA while still university as a pure science student with no clue of what accounting was all about. I was doing bof pure science and accounting at a level when people found it difficult to cope with one.
But one thing I know is passion brings dreams to reality.
All I'll ask u is do u av passion for the work I'm sure you at your level will know the details before going into it. People like you and I not robots work in wall street. Cheers!!!

Depending on whom you surround yourself with, or the environment you find yourself, combining both can be trivial. I personally know science student(s) who qualified as chartered accountant(s), even before going to study a science-based course at the university or while studying a technically intense science-based course such as Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, etc-

I like your optimism, but you will gain experience of reality as you grow..But, realistically speaking, you can make yourself a hot cake, and hasten the realization of your wall street dreams, if you either make yourself extremely competitive academic-wise, or work for a renowned company, earn enough money and hopefully land a place at one of the near impossible schools in the US. Passion alone is never sufficient; it must be backed by a wherewithal.

There are many passionate, overqualified and competitive Americans, Asians, Africans and Indians who will kill to be on Wall Street. Many of them believe that their dreams will be realized and still roam the streets of NY till date, but how many of them will work on WS?

Life offers nilpotent guarantees! But possibilities still exist, at least my experience is an example.

T22

2 Likes

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by Phonon: 11:33am On Feb 25, 2013
Anyone with ideas about CardinalStone Partners interview process for Investment Banking Analyst?I expect to be called for an interview soon.
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by homebase(m): 11:19am On Jul 15, 2013
House you may wish to know the average salary
for financial and investment practitioners
around the world. I found this website useful
http://cfaplanet.com . It is full of financial
analysts salaries.
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by neddysidk: 9:44pm On Jul 21, 2013
Good day nairalanders.... i am new in this forum. Please does any one have information on Energy risk professional ERP exam. or any body who registered or has done the exam before. i need ur help
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by chandler05: 8:09pm On Jan 06, 2014
Good day,
For those who are interested in buying C.F.A level 1,2,& 3 mock exams past questions and secret sauce[secret sauce it is not EXPO, it is just the major concepts on 2 sheets of paper ] . please call 07044583805
2008-2013
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by jeffharden(m): 5:57pm On Aug 18, 2014
Hi everyone, i really need an advice about a way forward for me. I just concluded my ND in banking and finance program and i want to further more but i dont want to go for HND i prefer BSC but have been thinking to do Economics instead of banking $ finance but i dont know which one will be better for me cus
i want to be a professional investment banker in life.
I needed advice from u all and also want a mentor in investment banking sector.
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by shanuowolabi: 5:14pm On May 17, 2015
Hello,pls I need urgent reply to this question.
Hw much one needs to be quoted as minimum salary as entry level in investment banks that has ACA and qualified member of CIS.
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by faith405: 5:22pm On May 17, 2015
shanuowolabi:
Hw much one needs to be quoted as minimum salary as entry level in investment banks that has ACA and qualified member of CIS.

What you mean by investment bank?

What I know is there is no minimum wage in private sector. Minimum salary is determmined by market.
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by tanimola22: 12:42am On May 18, 2015
shanuowolabi:

Minimum I have heard is 50K, maximum around 350K.

Depending on the bank, you may quote 150K for starters.
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by will007: 9:56am On May 20, 2015
tanimola22:

Depending on whom you surround yourself with, or the environment you find yourself, combining both can be trivial. I personally know science student(s) who qualified as chartered accountant(s), even before going to study a science-based course at the university or while studying a technically intense science-based course such as Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Computer Science, etc-

I like your optimism, but you will gain experience of reality as you grow..But, realistically speaking, you can make yourself a hot cake, and hasten the realization of your wall street dreams, if you either make yourself extremely competitive academic-wise, or work for a renowned company, earn enough money and hopefully land a place at one of the near impossible schools in the US. Passion alone is never sufficient; it must be backed by a wherewithal.

There are many passionate, overqualified and competitive Americans, Asians, Africans and Indians who will kill to be on Wall Street. Many of them believe that their dreams will be realized and still roam the streets of NY till date, but how many of them will work on WS?

Life offers nilpotent guarantees! But possibilities still exist, at least my experience is an example.

T22

Sharing your experience might assist undergraduates as they progress in their IB careers by picking ideas from your vast and rich experience, academic-wise as well as industry-wise. So please, help us, by sharing.
Thanks in advance.
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by olatricia(m): 4:25pm On Jul 08, 2015
I GIVE UP!
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by will007: 6:37pm On Jul 09, 2015
olatricia:
I GIVE UP!
Give up. On what?..and why?
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by olatricia(m): 8:36am On Jul 10, 2015
My Pursuit for fat salaries. It's a long way there!
will007:

Give up. On what?..and why?
Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by olatricia(m): 10:20am On Jul 13, 2015
Bros, Good Morning. How are you today. I've in recent times been following your comments on several career issues on this forum and really I like your contributions their are most times really on point. Now, I want to switch from being an accountant to being an Investment Banking. I have a degree in Economics, am finishing my ICAN program this Nov. 2015(By God's grace), I intend to register for the CIS exams in January and towards the end of the year, to register for the CFA. Please advise me, are my plans in order? I have barely worked 2 years as an accountant (not paid too much though) How do I get into the investment banking line (even if its as a trainee)? What other advise can you give me on this. Thanks I hope to hear from you ASAP.

tanimola22:

T22

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by chubbyG(m): 12:29pm On Sep 29, 2019
bukahands:
Nice thread really nice to see business guy well I have a bsc in biochemistry, I intend going to canada for Msc in biochem or petroluem engr on US or canada , then work for like 4 years, then apply for MBA at wharton or chicago booth cos they are highly rated plus d networking and then move to investment bank @ wall street, I intend bagging CFA and ACCA along my MBA, what do u guys think about this plan ?

It's almost 6 years now
Did your plan work out?

1 Like

Re: Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. by Petah70(m): 10:55pm On Apr 17, 2020
please I am also interested about the CFA exams,
I am an Accounting Student in my Final year. How much is the fee, which month did they write the exam. and other necessary info.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Nigerian Jobs That May Turn Female Employees To Runs Girls / Female Vulcanizer Who Works With Her Husband In Enugu -- Photos / Pictures Of Maritime Academy Of Nigeria Oron, Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.